Who is the most fearsome fast bowler you have seen

maniac

4 hours ago, rkt.india said:

None bowled 20 overs at 150 kph average speed. I can bet even at his worst fitness Akhtar was faster than Holding. I have seen Akhtar hitting 157 kph when opposition is batting at 400 runs.

I'm not sure about their speeds in tests, I was referring to 2003 WC where both Lee and Akhtar clocked 160+ speeds. But on an average Lee was much quicker than Akhtar & Bond in that event. 

4 hours ago, rkt.india said:

Even 152 kph is fast by all means. Johnson In that Ashes series wasn't much faster than 152 when he tormented England. You can torment batsmen at 145-150. It depends on pitch and the attitude of a fast bowler.

Anything above 136 is sharp. Above 140 is quick. So 152 is definitely express. The point I was making was, Devon had the same impact as Akhtar and was similar pace. Its just that you must have been too young then. Patrick Patterson was another who had similar persona and presence of Shoaib Akhtar.

You find Shoaib the most menacing because he is the one you grew up on. 

Marshall was mean at times. I remember he  bowled a bouncer and hit Balwinder Sandhu on side face during the world cup final. Did not bother to walk towards Sandhu and show some bother. Instead he went back to his run up.

Thomson was the most dangerous bowler I have seen. Croft too. They were very aggressive and batsman getting hit would not bother them much. They would walk down the run up and follow up with another bouncer.

1 minute ago, Straight Drive said:

Marshall was mean at times. I remember he  bowled a bouncer and hit Balwinder Sandhu on side face during the world cup final. Did not bother to walk towards Sandhu and show some bother. Instead he went back to his run up.

Thomson was the most dangerous bowler I have seen. Croft too. They were very aggressive and batsman getting hit would not bother them much. They would walk down the run up and follow up with another bouncer.

You seem to be older than me and are have watched it for longer duration. When did you start watching?

4 minutes ago, Straight Drive said:

Marshall had reputation of being very mean on the field but very good off the field.According to Marshall, he had one enemy Dilip Vengsarkar and it seems he took great joy in geeting Vengsarkar out.

12 hours ago, express bowling said:

Mid 1980s ... Marshall,

Late 1980s ... Patterson

1990s ... Donald

2000s ... Brett Lee

Early 2010s ... Johnson,

Late 2010s ... Archer

I found Marshall to be very potent, very effective. A wicket taker. But I never found him destructive or scary, I mean not to the level of a Patrick Patterson.

22 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Marshall had reputation of being very mean on the field but very good off the field.According to Marshall, he had one enemy Dilip Vengsarkar and it seems he took great joy in geeting Vengsarkar out.

Vengsarkar was at his peak for few years starting somewhere around 1984 and probably the best batsman of thososse years. We are looking at Grenidge, Miandad,  Gower, Crowe and Richards who were the great batters of those times . Marshall too had developed a s skilled bowler with so much of variation in swing and ability as a Pacer during the years when Vengsarkar was at his peak. I think Marshall was also the best place bowler then as he was at his peak .Any bowler who bowled against Vengsarkar those years would have been highly pleased to get his wicket.

Edited by Straight Drive

The meanest one i watched was Patrick Patterson in late 80s, in a series in india he looked like physically hurting our batsmen each time he came to bowl. Maybe the safety gear is better now or batsmen are just more accustomed to pace , but modern day quicks just don't seem to pose that consistent level of threat the Windies pace battery did back then.

32 minutes ago, Straight Drive said:

Vengsarkar was at his peak for few years starting somewhere around 1984 and probably the best batsman of thososse years. We are looking at Grenidge, Miandad,  Gower, Crowe and Richards who were the great batters of those times . Marshall too had developed a s skilled bowler with so much of variation in swing and ability as a Pacer during the years when Vengsarkar was at his peak. I think Marshall was also the best place bowler then as he was at his peak .Any bowler who bowled against Vengsarkar those years would have been highly pleased to get his wicket.

Getting vengsarker's wicket had nothing to do with Vengsarkar being a good or great batsman.Vengy it seems was saying very mean things to him in  his debut series.

An excerpt from his memoirs.

Dilip Vengsarkar is one of the finest batsmen in contemporary cricket and proof of his quality came in 1986 when he became the first overseas player to score three Test centuries at Lord's: not even Bradman could match that. Yet, while I readily acknowledge his fine achievement, I could not bring myself to get very enthusiastic about it. He is the one cricketer I have ever disliked and the only one I have felt consistently hostile towards. It all stems from my Test debut at Bangalore in 1978 when his constant appealing in my short innings, I believe was responsible for me being given out unfairly. It was the day I cried my way back to the pavilion and the day I was humiliated in public. I will never forget the taunts and the disgrace and, possibly unfairly also, I saw Vengsarkar as the main culprit. I vowed revenge and in 1982-83, four long years later, I got it.

In recent memory Mitch in Aus during the Ashes, poor Trott couldn't handle it mentally anymore.

Morne Morkel also deserves a mention here from SA vs Aus series in SA, I can't remember the year. Every delivery he bowled to the Aussies seemed to be 140+ kph plus his remarkable height providing steep bounce. The Aus batsmen were hopping around all over the place.  

10 hours ago, rkt.india said:

No one apart from Lee And Akhtar in last 20 years since proper speed gun use has bowled 150 kph 3 overs on a troat. Your exaggerations are laughable. do you even understand what is 150 kph means. It's 93 mph of average. Only Akhtar and Lee at their peak has done that. That too mostly in LOIs.

Except bowling 3 overs at a trot at 150 and then rest of the day at 140 means for most of the time you are not blazing fast. This is why top speeds mean zilch 

7 hours ago, express bowling said:

Bumrah is a fast bowler who is always smiling but still comes across as rather fearsome ...

because, apart from his hostile bowling and mental aggression, his smile comes across as the confident and mocking smile of someone who is almost playing around with a lesser being !

He is more Anderson Walsh Akram type bowler not intimidating as a special feature though more a byproduct of skill on display.  Dizzy was more intimidating than McGrath for instance..its an additional feature. 

11 hours ago, rkt.india said:

How many bowlers can bowl low-mid 140s as an average pace. You know what the average speed of Johnson in that Ashes 142-143. Even if Akhtar slowed down, his average speed was still higher than most fast bowlers. 

Except it wasn’t. Most fast bowlers do 140kph for their stock ball. Not fast medium or medium fast, but fast.

8 hours ago, rkt.india said:

I remember against us that flat/road series in 2006 in Pak, Akhtar bowled multiple 150-157 kph overs and that too not in his first spells but at the end of the day. In that series dravid-sehwag had 410 run opening partnership.

Video or Never happened. 

Edited by Vilander