Who are the next set of Indian fast bowler that will be as effective as Shami-Umesh in home conditions ?

If we have to continue such domination at home not only we need spinner but pacers which will together make a bowling attack giving no breathing space. Reason for our domination is last few years is this bowling attack who doesnt have a weak link. Shami n umesh are as effective as spinners at home. Shami current avg at home is 22.03 which is better then ashwin, kumble, bhajji and umesh avg at home is under 26 now .

This is highly skilled bowling by these 2....and shud be recognized like of anderson under clouds in england and waqar-wasim with tempered balls. 

Coming back to the point but who after them as these 2 has max 3-4 yrs in them. Home conditions n SG ball require diff kind of skills, as we have ishant n bhuvi wont be as effective as these 2 at home even though bhuvi has good number still in long run not sure about him.

These have pace, ability to swing new n reverse old ball, both are skiddy , good bouncers at home (dnt knw what happens to umesh bouncer abroad), they both can do slingy arm action sometimes

So who among the new crop of bowlers will continue this legacy. 

• Bumrah N Siraj ...i feel are two
  • Saini i dont think will be as effective as he ll be overseas
  • Mavi , avesh can but as of now i dnt think they are at that level 

Such domination at home will only continue if we find such fast bowler as only spinner will be taken care by someone some day

Edited by Ankit_sharma03

I feel nagarkotti ,prasidh, warrior, and Mavi has it in them to succeed, all 4 attack stumps plus look's to Bowl Full which is a good thing,with avesh, Saini and rajpoot having ability to extract bounce ,we need couple of left arm quicks to make it a well rounded attack, also with these 4 bowlers one thing i noticed is they can extract reverse Swing, another thing which I like about them is their easy action and run up and good seam position ,along with bumrah being the leader,this attack could actually perform better sena country.

I think Mavi is in the Umesh mould...both have actions tailor-made for outswingers. Shami is something else - the key to his success is the upright seam and pace. He moves the new ball to. I think he'll be the one that's most difficult to replace. Don't really see anyone with that kind of seam presentation among the younger lot. Bumrah is really unproven in home conditions.

5 minutes ago, Pandya_Power said:

I think Mavi is in the Umesh mould...both have actions tailor-made for outswingers. Shami is something else - the key to his success is the upright seam and pace. He moves the new ball to. I think he'll be the one that's most difficult to replace. Don't really see anyone with that kind of seam presentation among the younger lot. Bumrah is really unproven in home conditions.

I think Nagarkotti can be that skiddy bowler like Shami..targetting stumps

Will we show the same level of patience that we (TM, selectors, fans)did with both Shami and Umesh (and Ishant)? 

Shami was averaging around 35 in his first 2 years, Umesh was at 38-39 average after 25 tests. Their resurgence is obviously largely owing to them getting fitter and fine tuning their skills, but if they were not backed after failures, they wouldn’t have been here bowling such spells.

7 hours ago, Pandya_Power said:

Mavi is an inswing bowler. Koti is outswing. Mavi can be the next big hostile bowler. 

7 hours ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

Will we show the same level of patience that we (TM, selectors, fans)did with both Shami and Umesh (and Ishant)? 

Shami was averaging around 35 in his first 2 years, Umesh was at 38-39 average after 25 tests. Their resurgence is obviously largely owing to them getting fitter and fine tuning their skills, but if they were not backed after failures, they wouldn’t have been here bowling such spells.

Current team management is not that patient. Also some of these guys are much better than what Umesh and Shami were at their start.

Preferred Qualities for pacers for succeeding in India   ....

----  Has the ability to skid the ball off the surface and bowls 140 k+ .  This is needed as most pitches are on the slower side.

----  Targets the stumps rather frequently at the above mentioned skiddy high pace 

---- Can reverse the ball and get regular seam movement too, even if small movements.

----  Uses the bouncer often enough. Most pitches here start having variable bounce from day 2 or day 3 if the ball is dug in short ... and bouncers become extremely difficult to negotiate.

Shami ticks all the above boxes and Umesh ticks most.

Keeping the above qualities in mind, the most interesting prospects are

Bumrah  ----  Quick in the air and skiddy off the surface ... targets the stumps ... has a nasty bouncer ... can reverse the ball and seam it too ... very quick learner who can adjust his bowling style for any surface rather quickly.

Nagarkoti ---- Quick in the air and very very skiddy off the surface ... targets the stumps very frequently ... has a good quick bouncer ... can be ideal for tests in Asia.

Saini ---- Quick in the air and skiddy off the surface ... targets the top of off stump regularly ... seams the ball both ways in India ... has a sharp bouncer. 

Mavi ----  Quick in the air and zips off the surface too ... has a nasty bouncer ... targets the stumps and has a big stump directed inswinger ... gets seam movement 

Siraj ---- Has decent pace in the air and skiddy off the surface ... master of targeting the stumps ... can seam the ball ...  has got loads of wickets in India in FC matches.

Edited by express bowling
1 hour ago, gakgupta said:

what about that rajasthan bowler??

is he staying injured??

Nathu Singh??

He is one of the better bowlers, i have seen in last 5 years in our domestic circuit

Nathu is finding it hard to make a comeback after injury. Lot of competition in the Rajasthan pace attack. He has to compete for a spot with Aniket, Deepak Chahar, Khaleel, Tanveer. Nagarkoti is also there. Nathu should switch to some other Ranji team. 

44 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Has the ability to skid the ball off the surface and bowls 140 k+ .  This is needed as most pitches are on the slower side.

----  Targets the stumps rather frequently at the above mentioned skiddy high pace

Faf in his post match comments said the same "I think it's the skill of the bowlers. They have a skiddy nature and they hit the right spots and the stumps at all times." 

Edited by Mosher
1 hour ago, express bowling said:

Preferred Qualities for pacers for succeeding in India   ....

----  Has the ability to skid the ball off the surface and bowls 140 k+ .  This is needed as most pitches are on the slower side.

---- Can reverse the ball and get regular seam movement too, even if small movements.

----  Uses the bouncer often enough. Most pitches here start having variable bounce from day 2 or day 3 if the ball is dug in short ... and bouncers become extremely difficult to negotiate.

Shami ticks all the above boxes and Umesh ticks most.

Keeping the above qualities in mind, the most interesting prospects are

Bumrah  ----  Quick in the air and skiddy off the surface ... targets the stumps ... has a nasty bouncer ... can reverse the ball and seam it too ... very quick learner who can adjust his bowling style for any surface rather quickly.

Nagarkoti ---- Quick in the air and very very skiddy off the surface ... targets the stumps very frequently ... has a good quick bouncer ... can be ideal for tests in Asia.

Saini ---- Quick in the air and skiddy off the surface ... targets the top of off stump regularly ... seams the ball both ways in India ... has a sharp bouncer. 

Mavi ----  Quick in the air and zips off the surface too ... has a nasty bouncer ... targets the stumps and has a big stump directed inswinger ... gets seam movement 

Siraj ---- Has decent pace in the air and skiddy off the surface ... master of targeting the stumps ... can seam the ball ...  has got loads of wickets in India in FC matches.

Your post reminded me of Agarkar.. as to how that guy having all the qualities that you have mentioned never really succeeded in tests in India.. what went wrong 

33 minutes ago, Vk1 said:

Your post reminded me of Agarkar.. as to how that guy having all the qualities that you have mentioned never really succeeded in tests in India.. what went wrong 

I think in that era, the Indian fast bowlers lacked the fitness to sustain speeds in test matches  ( barring Srinath in the 90s ), the disciple needed to put a high percentage of deliveries in good areas ( barring Kapil in the 80s and Srinath in the 90s and early 00s  )  and the self belief to succeed.

Edited by express bowling
40 minutes ago, express bowling said:

I think in that era, the Indian fast bowlers lacked the fitness to sustain speeds in test matches  ( barring Srinath in the 90s ), the disciple needed to put a high percentage of deliveries in good areas ( barring Kapil in the 80s and Srinath in the 90s and early 00s  )  and the self belief to succeed.

Yes, it's the fitness and consistent pace.