Can Sanju Samson become the next Rohit Sharma?

SecondSlip

Anybody who has watched these 2 bat can easily tell that they are extremely similar. Both batsmen are god-gifted talents that make batting look so easy. Their shot selection looks very much the same as well. On their good days, they will win matches for the team all by themselves!

Rohit Sharma became a world class cricketer only after he became an opener. I feel that Sanju Samson will also follow the same path as well. Sanju just recently scored a double century against Goa in the ongoing Vijay Hazare tournament. This maybe a sign of things to come! 

I personally believe that both Sharma & Samson are match winners when they both have the opportunity to bat out full 50 overs. It is very unfair to compare young Sanju to a veteran like Rohit but I definitely believe that he has what it takes to replicate the HIT-MAN in international cricket provided he is played as an opener! 

What do you say @maniac bhai!? :winky:

No bhai. Rohit had a great FC record to add to his IPL exploits.

Samson is good for the shorter formats but doesn’t seem to have the temperament for longer formats

To be fair  Rohit was groomed well and developed at a young age and got a lot of exposure. Samson on the other hand has himself to blame for taking IPL success for granted.

Maybe samson  batting skills may be in the Rohit mould but Samson doesn’t seem to have the temperament till now. Also lot of people have gone ahead of him in the pecking order.

He has to have a couple of stellar FC seasons to have a shot. Performing in Vijay Hazare and IPL won’t cut it.

Edited by maniac
On 10/21/2019 at 10:15 PM, Nikola said:

If i am not wrong rohit started playing as opener at 24 and samson is almost 25 now and yet to debut. Rohit probably played 80-100 odis by that time. 

Rohit is from Mumbai and Sanju is not...

Rohit was as inconsistent as sanju in his starting days.....But he was consistently persisted because of Mumbai lobby...

He was promoted as opener and was persisted for few matches before he started delivering...Credit goes to dhoni for seeing an opener in him...(Cant remember the year but it was England tour of India)

If Vihari who could play for India from a team like Andhra Sanju can play too. Rohit Sharma came up in Mumbai where he has lot more competition even in schools.Sanju or any other player from samller town don't face that type of competition.It was all upto Sanju, he needed to be more consistent.
With all that competition, there is not a single pace bowler or spinner who is representing india

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, gakgupta said:

With all that competition, there is not a single pace bowler or spinner who is representing india

India with over 1.2 billion people don't have an olympic gold medal in athletics.What is your point?

Mumbai has three batsmen in the team if you include Shaw .How many more you need.It was more before from 1960s to 80s.

On 10/27/2019 at 7:48 AM, gakgupta said:

Rohit was as inconsistent as sanju in his starting days.....But he was consistently persisted because of Mumbai lobby...

Utter nonsense.  Rohit had an FC average close to 60, Sanju is nowhere near that.  And I say that as a believer in Samson's ability to have a long career for India.

Utter nonsense.  Rohit had an FC average close to 60, Sanju is nowhere near that.  And I say that as a believer in Samson's ability to have a long career for India.
My comments are based not on his FC avg but ODI avg and test avg in his initial stages

India with over 1.2 billion people don't have an olympic gold medal in athletics.What is your point?

Mumbai has three batsmen in the team if you include Shaw .How many more you need.It was more before from 1960s to 80s.
Point I am trying to make is ..... corruption...

Bowlers like zaheer never got a break from Mumbai team

Someone representing mumbai may not necessarily mean extremely talented but he could be a rich kid ready to bribe.

By saying this...i am not undermining the talent of rohit, Shaw , rahane etc....

6 hours ago, gakgupta said:

Point I am trying to make is ..... corruption...

Bowlers like zaheer never got a break from Mumbai team

Someone representing mumbai may not necessarily mean extremely talented but he could be a rich kid ready to bribe.

By saying this...i am not undermining the talent of rohit, Shaw , rahane etc....

You are making your own point.Chances of rich kids getting into team is more  in less known team than team like Mumbai. If you haved followed Mumbai cricket, talented kids are always pushed by everyone involved from coach to even Indian player past and present.I don't know if it has changed in recent years.

Whereas in smaller team like Hyderabad useless player like Arjun Yadav even becomes captain of his Ranji team and pushes guy like Rayudu out of the team due to power and money.

Edited by putrevus
1 hour ago, gakgupta said:

My comments are based not on his FC avg but ODI avg and test avg in his initial stages

well to earn the chance to put up an ODI or test average, a batsman has to demonstrate his skill and consistency at the FC level.  Whatever you may feel about Rohit's initial inconsistencies, his performances in FC cricket were top-shelf.  Samson has failed to do that.  Again, I like Samson's batting, he seems to have that x factor that really good batsmen have.  And I want him to get opportunities at the highest level.  But he has to get himself there.