Can Shreyas Iyer be the future captain in all 3 formats

maniac

Branching from the other thread.

As I said in the other threads, one of the best moves Daredevils have ever made since their inception is to make a youngster captain despite having senior foreign players and guys like Dhawan and hopefully will keep Shreyas captain  despite buying Ashwin.

Shreyas is 24 and is captaining in a high level league like the IPL and has been captain on A tours as well. In 6 years time most of the current players will be in the sunset of their careers.Rohit,Kohli, Dhawan,Rahane,Pujara etc. And as per the theory for batsmen at 30 Iyer should be in his prime 

Jadeja, Rahul and Pandya are not even remotely close to being captaincy material.

Only other competitor is Mayank Aggarwal.

Shaw might have kissed future captaincy goodbye with the recent ban and also seems to have attitude issues.

Gill is another guy who can be groomed but Iyer has a head start here.

He should be kept around In the scheme of things for test cricket too.

Reminds me of Rohit in a way , thrust into captaincy and learning from mentors and seniors around him gradually.

Hopefully the team management doesn’t screw it up. Ipl franchises and that includes the bozos at RCB, Delhi and Kings X1 handle players better than the Indian team.

I don't like Shreyas's temperament.  He's always been a touch too brash for his own good.  Not sure if he's evolved enough from there on - he's yet to solidify a regular spot in the Indian team, let alone Captain.

But to be fair, I was never a big fan of Virat's attitude either.  And credit where its due, for all his flaws, and I'm not shy of pointing them out repeatedly, he hasn't been a bad captain overall.

8 hours ago, maniac said:

As I said in the other threads, one of the best moves Daredevils have ever made since their inception is to make a youngster captain despite having senior foreign players and guys like Dhawan and hopefully will keep Shreyas captain  despite buying Ashwin.

Coz already flopped as captain of SRH and iyer was captain before Ashwin n dhawan joined DC, why wud they change him when team did well. TBH his captaincy hasnt been gr8 till now in IPL

Jadeja, Rahul and Pandya are not even remotely close to being captaincy material.

What if Rahul does well as captain in IPL u never knw?

Shaw might have kissed future captaincy goodbye with the recent ban and also seems to have attitude issues.

If he performs heavily after coming back for few years everyone will forget whatever happened , nyways taking cough syrup shudnt be a big issue 

Not even on radar for test format

Hopefully the team management doesn’t screw it up. Ipl franchises and that includes the bozos at RCB, Delhi and Kings X1 handle players better than the Indian team.

As of now we have time....in next 3-4 yrs i think few youngsters will become their IPL franchise captain n we ll get better idea.....another crucial factor wud be how these players perfoms for India.....dhoni, kohli , ganguly before becoming the captain performed really well as players

1 hour ago, sandeep said:

I don't like Shreyas's temperament.  He's always been a touch too brash for his own good.  Not sure if he's evolved enough from there on - he's yet to solidify a regular spot in the Indian team, let alone Captain.

But to be fair, I was never a big fan of Virat's attitude either.  And credit where its due, for all his flaws, and I'm not shy of pointing them out repeatedly, he hasn't been a bad captain overall.

Shreyas is a kid, plenty of time to mature. Ponting was way worse when he was this age, severely reprimanded by CA following a bar fight, but he changed for the better with time. Even someone like Kohli at age 24 was a dickhead. 

Shreyas is 24 and is captaining in a high level league like the IPL and has been captain on A tours as well. In 6 years time most of the current players will be in the sunset of their careers.Rohit,Kohli, Dhawan,Rahane,Pujara etc. And as per the theory for batsmen at 30 Iyer should be in his prime 

Reminds me of Rohit in a way , thrust into captaincy and learning from mentors and seniors around him gradually.

What's up with Shaw??

I thought he was injured..

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, maniac said:

Did not see anything great in his captaincy in IPL to form an opinion that he will be great . 

Of the  younger lot ,  Rahane's Test captaincy was  good .     

18 minutes ago, prudent_kreeda said:

Did not see anything great in his captaincy in IPL to form an opinion that he will be great . 

Of the  younger lot ,  Rahane's Test captaincy was  good .     

He is learning. He is only 24. You don’t become a great captain at that age. However he has good mentors in Ganguly and Ponting. Also in the IPL he seemed to be improving with every game as a captain. Obviously he is still in training. 

Reminded me a lot of Rohit Sharma when he became captain of MI. He had all these senior players and mentors that he looked lost. However he gradually came into his own to become a leader. 

I am not saying Shreyas is 100% the guy. However he has had the opportunity to lead a side with star players in a high stakes tournament with high quality management and resources at his disposal. That’s a big heed start compared to other youngsters.

When Shreyas is 30 Rahane will be 37 and so will be Pujara,Rohit and Kohli on the wrong side of 30s. 

7 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Coz already flopped as captain of SRH and iyer was captain before Ashwin n dhawan joined DC, why wud they change him when team did well. TBH his captaincy hasnt been gr8 till now in IPL

What if Rahul does well as captain in IPL u never knw?

If he performs heavily after coming back for few years everyone will forget whatever happened , nyways taking cough syrup shudnt be a big issue 

Not even on radar for test format

As of now we have time....in next 3-4 yrs i think few youngsters will become their IPL franchise captain n we ll get better idea.....another crucial factor wud be how these players perfoms for India.....dhoni, kohli , ganguly before becoming the captain performed really well as players

You don’t become an amazing captain overnight  at 22-23. You evolve as a captain. However the IPl team picked him as captain because they saw the potential in him and took a risk.

Rahul May be a mad genius that has not been discovered by the world yet but so far nothing shows based on his social media, Karan Johar fiasco and his basic mental strength on the field that he is anywhere close to being a captaincy material.

Shaw has to really take it to another level for people to forget his ban for captaincy especially. These things do matter in Indian cricket. He has a steep hill to climb

Iyer has to be on the radar for the test format.

last point I agree, he needs to evolve every year like Rohit did with MI

7 hours ago, Gollum said:

Shreyas is a kid, plenty of time to mature. Ponting was way worse when he was this age, severely reprimanded by CA following a bar fight, but he changed for the better with time. Even someone like Kohli at age 24 was a dickhead. 

Gimme the dickhead Kohli any day  over the current Virushka version(image conscious and suck up current candy floss version )

Edited by maniac
1 hour ago, maniac said:

You don’t become an amazing captain overnight  at 22-23. You evolve as a captain. However the IPl team picked him as captain because they saw the potential in him and took a risk.

Rahul May be a mad genius that has not been discovered by the world yet but so far nothing shows based on his social media, Karan Johar fiasco and his basic mental strength on the field that he is anywhere close to being a captaincy material.

Shaw has to really take it to another level for people to forget his ban for captaincy especially. These things do matter in Indian cricket. He has a steep hill to climb

Iyer has to be on the radar for the test format.

last point I agree, he needs to evolve every year like Rohit did with MI

he can be on the radar perhaps, but there are too few slots. TM is invested too much in Jinx, which leaves only 1 slot for Vihari, Gill and everyone else to compete over.