KL Rahul vs Shreyas Iyer for number 4 spot in ODIs

sarcastic

Who will be your choice for number 4 position in ODIs  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be your choice for number 4 position in ODIs

• KL Rahul
    • S Iyer
    • None of the above

Now that Shreyas is doing well in this T20I series, this may put serious pressure on KL Rahul's place for the number 4 spot that he is holding onto in ODIs.

The good thing now is both are genuine talents and young and we can be sure that no matter who among these two wins the tussle will be very valuable to our team. 

Currently, given the form and confidence of Iyer, there is a chance that KLR is replaced by Iyer for the next ODI series. This will seriously dent Rahul's confidence. 

Tomorrow T20I will give us a better idea..> I am really enjoying this tussle between these two batsmen who are quite able and can help India to win matches for a long time in the future. 

Edited by sarcastic
5 minutes ago, sarcastic said:

Now that Shreyas is doing well in this T20I series, this may put serious pressure on KL Rahul's place for the number 4 spot that he is holding onto in ODIs

The good thing now is both are genuine talents and young and we can be sure that no matter who among these two wins the tussle will be very valuable to our team. 

Currently, given the form and confidence of Iyer, there is a chance that KLR is replaced by Iyer for the next ODI series. This will seriously dent Rahul's confidence. 

Tomorrow T20I will give us a better idea..> I am really enjoying this tussle between these two batsmen who are quite able and can help India to win matches for a long time in the future. 

KL never holded NO.4 position as TM considers him as just backup opener.

He went to Wc as backup opener only but shankar got injured n KL scored a 100 in warm up game and was decent in SA n aus game. He then had to open coz dhawan got injured....did well but then was benched again for no reason. 

Neways now iyer has gotten a chance and he has done well in watever chances he got so at this point iyer is ahead. Kl i feel is far more talented but whats talent without confidence. He is still in his recovery phase from huge lump so he is not batting at his 50%.

But TM shudnt be rigid with this no.4 if gill , rahul can why not. And when they give someone a chance give a long rope coz everyone will fail at some point. Hopefullly iyer gets a long run. 

10 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

KL never holded NO.4 position as TM considers him as just backup opener.

He went to Wc as backup opener only but shankar got injured n KL scored a 100 in warm up game and was decent in SA n aus game. He then had to open coz dhawan got injured....did well but then was benched again for no reason. 

Neways now iyer has gotten a chance and he has done well in watever chances he got so at this point iyer is ahead. Kl i feel is far more talented but whats talent without confidence. He is still in his recovery phase from huge lump so he is not batting at his 50%.

But TM shudnt be rigid with this no.4 if gill , rahul can why not. And when they give someone a chance give a long rope coz everyone will fail at some point. Hopefullly iyer gets a long run. 

KL Rahul was selected as a backup openor and Vijay Sankar was selected for number 4. But the warmup performances meant that KL Rahul has gone ahead of Vijay Sankar for the number 4 spot.

He again became openor only when Dhawan got injured. If not for that, KL Rahul would have played at number 4 position in all the WC matches. So, it is not correct to say he does not hold the number 4 position. If only the team management was clever in giving him a long rope at number 4 position since 2017 onwards, KL would have made that position his own. 

I don't think Shreyas is ahead by one little T20 Cameo. Shreyas will get a chance for the number 4 position if KLR will loose form in the oncoming matches. Then Iyer will have a chance to make the number 4 his own. Right now, he is certainly breathing down KL Rahul's neck for that spot but did not usurp it yet. 

1 hour ago, express bowling said:

In ODIs, I would like 

4   Gill

5   Iyer

In T20Is, I would like

4  Iyer

5  Pant

Where will you accommodate KL rahul in the ODI team then? 
Gill cannot leap frog KL Rahul in ODIs just yet. That can happen only if KLR is sent back to domestics and Gill is given a break in ODI side. 
But Gill's rope will also be no that long as KLR will make a comeback to Indian team soon after he toils in the domestics. 

Kl rahul is becoming an utter disappointment off late.. he is haplessly befuddled.. he still doesn't know wht to make of him as a batsman.. first when he entered international cricket.. he was a technically sound batsman sans big hitting pedigree.. then he completely updated himself to become a six hitting dasher.. in league of rohit sharma.. his ipl exploits are well known including his two t20i centuries... However since last ipl i don't know what bug has caught up with him.. he wants to become a second incarnation of lord thala.. the dot ball eater... his mind is cluttered.. the no of dot balls he consumes is getting exponentially high.. looks fidgety in crease.. even when he makes a 50+ score he don't give an impression of a set batsman.. now his six hitting pedigree has gone missing instead he is a liability in crease.. 

He is perfect case study of wht all can go wrong to extremely talented batsmen.. i think he is listening too much of people giving him advice.. he just need to be himself.. team india don't need a second lord thala.. instead they need a second rohit sharma or virat kohli..

4 minutes ago, Amit228 said:

Kl rahul is becoming an utter disappointment off late.. he is haplessly befuddled.. he still doesn't know wht to make of him as a batsman.. first when he entered international cricket.. he was a technically sound batsman sans big hitting pedigree.. then he completely updated himself to become a six hitting dasher.. in league of rohit sharma.. his ipl exploits are well known including his two t20i centuries... However since last ipl i don't know what bug has caught up with him.. he wants to become a second incarnation of lord thala.. the dot ball eater... his mind is cluttered.. the no of dot balls he consumes is getting exponentially high.. looks fidgety in crease.. even when he makes a 50+ score he don't give an impression of a set batsman.. now his six hitting pedigree has gone missing instead he is a liability in crease.. 

He is perfect case study of wht all can go wrong to extremely talented batsmen.. i think he is listening too much of people giving him advice.. he just need to be himself.. team india don't need a second lord thala.. instead they need a second rohit sharma or virat kohli..

Need a change in approach and team composition to start with T20s: 

1. Our short format power play strategy should be changed . They should be playing aggressively  in power play even if it means they may loose 1-2 wickets esp. in T20. Whats the point of having all the wickets till 9-10 overs but scoring at 6-7-runs per over ?

2. Current opening pair should be changed . Without that change , the batting approach will not change . Drop Shikhar and bring anyone who plays aggressively from the word go . You may have to try 2-3 guys and stick with the one who does better among them.

Whats now happening is  the first 3 play all the deliveries and leave nothing for others (only personal records get better , nothing else) .

have you ever seen a player from # 4 to #7 ever came up the order recently either in T20 or 50 overs . Its always the same order. You cannot blame selectors for that , Its Virat who should be making these changes as per match situations . They never do it.  In 50 overs esp. so may times team had the opportunity to do it but they never did it. 

You have young players like Iyer, pant ,KL in the eleven and you have to score say 100-120  to win with lots of overs left . Even in such match situations , you will see Virat coming out at 3 .  How a youngster will get his confidence if  does not play even 1 -2 innings in a 3 / 5 match series?

3. All T20  overs till March 2020 should be used to test out fringe players . Look what Eng & NZ doing -  Eng rested Roy, Buttler, Stokes, Archer . And they find new guys like Malan , Vince , Banton.  NZ too are getting Siefer , a better Nesham .

India should also include only 1 out of top 3 in T20 . 

Another interesting fact is - India is willing to change their bowlers but not their top 3 . TM should be asked why that is the case . What they are trying to asses about Rohit , VK, Shikhar which they do not know already. 

4. Why not try to solve 1 opening slot who plays better than Shikhar - try Mayank, KL , Samson , even Pant and see what they do.

Let the new guys play at 3 -  Among  Samson, Mayank , Gill , Iyer  . More game time  for them means those who played well will be ready for  #4 , 5 by WT20 .

5. Purpose of selecting Samson , Dubey is defeated if they do not play even 1 single proper innings . Why not Dubey be brought up the order a bit in some matches ? . 

he seems to be monster hitter when ball is in his arc but feel there is chink in his play when he plays  short of length /short  stuff. Now  only if this 

gets exposure he will know where he needs to change for international level.

3 minutes ago, prudent_kreeda said:

Need a change in approach and team composition to start with T20s: 

1. Our short format power play strategy should be changed . They should be playing aggressively  in power play even if it means they may loose 1-2 wickets esp. in T20. Whats the point of having all the wickets till 9-10 overs but scoring at 6-7-runs per over ?

2. Current opening pair should be changed . Without that change , the batting approach will not change . Drop Shikhar and bring anyone who plays aggressively from the word go . You may have to try 2-3 guys and stick with the one who does better among them.

Whats now happening is  the first 3 play all the deliveries and leave nothing for others (only personal records get better , nothing else) .

have you ever seen a player from # 4 to #7 ever came up the order recently either in T20 or 50 overs . Its always the same order. You cannot blame selectors for that , Its Virat who should be making these changes as per match situations . They never do it.  In 50 overs esp. so may times team had the opportunity to do it but they never did it. 

You have young players like Iyer, pant ,KL in the eleven and you have to score say 100-120  to win with lots of overs left . Even in such match situations , you will see Virat coming out at 3 .  How a youngster will get his confidence if  does not play even 1 -2 innings in a 3 / 5 match series?

3. All T20  overs till March 2020 should be used to test out fringe players . Look what Eng & NZ doing -  Eng rested Roy, Buttler, Stokes, Archer . And they find new guys like Malan , Vince , Banton.  NZ too are getting Siefer , a better Nesham .

India should also include only 1 out of top 3 in T20 . 

Another interesting fact is - India is willing to change their bowlers but not their top 3 . TM should be asked why that is the case . What they are trying to asses about Rohit , VK, Shikhar which they do not know already. 

4. Why not try to solve 1 opening slot who plays better than Shikhar - try Mayank, KL , Samson , even Pant and see what they do.

Let the new guys play at 3 -  Among  Samson, Mayank , Gill , Iyer  . More game time  for them means those who played well will be ready for  #4 , 5 by WT20 .

5. Purpose of selecting Samson , Dubey is defeated if they do not play even 1 single proper innings . Why not Dubey be brought up the order a bit in some matches ? . 

he seems to be monster hitter when ball is in his arc but feel there is chink in his play when he plays  short of length /short  stuff. Now  only if this 

gets exposure he will know where he needs to change for international level.

All the ardent fans of Indian cricket has been crying all day long about this since world cup 2015..  nd wht we got.. an epic disaster of sorts preceding world cup 2019.. where we had ttf from old age csk 11.. in form of rayudu, jadhav nd lord thela.. such a incredibly appalling middle order of which even Bangladeshis will have a good laugh about.. heck even Bangladesh of all people had a strong middle order compared to us.. 

No planning no vision.. just picking a random rayudu for his ipl exploits.. giving midget jadhav a long rope for his pie Chucking.. that guy couldn't even clear 30 yrd circle.. to save his life.. nd last..the dat ball eater lord thela.. whose fan base is so mentally challenged that they get mutual orgasms seeing their lord thela bashing trundlers unadcutters nd dhawal in IPL... Lol he hasn't even retired.. in hope of making into team again.. 

I rest my case..:canabis:

8 hours ago, sarcastic said:

I don't think Shreyas is ahead by one little T20 Cameo. Shreyas will get a chance for the number 4 position if KLR will loose form in the oncoming matches. Then Iyer will have a chance to make the number 4 his own. Right now, he is certainly breathing down KL Rahul's neck for that spot but did not usurp it yet. 

As of now iyer is ahead

If KL was ahead he wud have been in playing XI with his stellar record in t20 and did well in Wc to. ......yes iyer has a long way to go before he owns his place

Rahul should be playing only as an opener. If it means DHawan has to be dropped from ODIs gradually, so be it, Dhawan will be 34 next month, Rohit is nearing 33, You can't go into 2023 WC with two openers who are 36 and 38. Will be a proper disaster.

BCCI should be aware that there is a chance of both Rohit and Dhawan fading away as age catches up in next 2-3 years. So keep giving chances to Rahul, Gill, Shaw, Mayank when possible

2 hours ago, express bowling said:

Nowhere 

Rahul has a SR of 79 in ODIs.  I don't want such players in the team. Moreover, his attitude is poor.

Is that for real. SR of 79? I used to criticize Dravid and Ganguly for scoring that slow in ODI's and that was more than a decade back. If his SR in ODI is actually 79 then he should not even be in second 11.

ODI Sr of 79 is imo mediocre for this era. More so with the powerplays and field restrictions.

Edit:

Shreyas Iyer has average 49 and Sr of 105.

Rahul has average of 39 and Sr 79.

Edited by Straight Drive
1 hour ago, Straight Drive said:

Is that for real. SR of 79? I used to criticize Dravid and Ganguly for scoring that slow in ODI's and that was more than a decade back. If his SR in ODI is actually 79 then he should not even be in second 11.

ODI Sr of 79 is imo mediocre for this era.

Rohit Sharma's SR for the last 4 ODI series: 71, 75, 98 (WC), 70

3 hours ago, Amit228 said:

Yup, the sr of 79 is utterly disappointing. That was acceptable only in 1970's.

30 minutes ago, Straight Drive said:

Rohit Sharma averages 48 and has Sr of 88. That is 9 runs per innings more and at Sr better than 9 runs per 100 balls as well in comparison to Rahuls ODI carreer.

Dhoni averages 50 and has a SR of 88, do you want him back? I am sure he has better stats than Pant.