'I started as a batsman' & ‘I enjoy bowling against Kallis’ - Sreesanth

India’s maverick paceman Sree Santh has an enviable bowling record against South Africa. In three Tests against Graeme Smith & Co. in South Africa last season, the ‘Kochi Express’ took 18 wickets at an average of 21.94. Now, with the Indians gearing up for a three-Test series against the Africans at home, the onus is on Sree Santh to come up with a sizzling repeat show. With experienced Zaheer Khan and new pace sensation Ishant Sharma out due to injuries, Sree Santh will have to shoulder extra responsibility in the series. ‘‘I am not bothered about the pressure of expectation. I will do what I am capable of doing. I am aware of my responsibilities,” Sree Santh told TOI from Kochi on Tuesday. ‘‘I am also not bothered about who is there in the team and who is not. If the selectors have picked me for the Test series, I have a job to do. Frankly, I am excited about playing my first match under Anil Kumble,’’ he said. A long lay-off from Test cricket — he missed the Oz series — saw a dip in form in the ODI triseries Down Under. But Sree Santh is not worried. ‘‘If you are playing international cricket, the margin of error is really less. It’s really not easy to get instant success if you are coming back after an injury. Same thing happened to me. I was probably trying too hard. But it takes time and now I am sure about what I am going to do,’’ he added. Talking about his good memories of South African series, Sree Santh said, ‘‘I can still recall the Jo’burg Test. We won a Test for the first time on South African soil. That spell is still fresh in my mind. Actually, it’s a great challenge to bowl against the South Africans. I enjoy it most when Jacques Kallis is facing me. In that particular match in Jo’burg, I got him out in both the innings. That spell was quite satisfying.” At the same time, Sree Santh believes in sticking to the basics. ‘‘Whenever I am playing for India, my job is to take wickets. But on Indian wickets, you have to do everything right — pitch the ball in right areas and make the batsmen think,’’ he explained. The Kerala pacer also lavished praises on India’s bowling coach Venketesh Prasad and fielding coach Robin Singh. ‘‘Prasad’s tips have been very useful. Even our fielding coach Robin Singh has helped me with his ideas about how to bowl at a left-hander. He was my first coach when I played my first Challenger Trophy. I am also working hard on my batting. These days when you are playing at the highest level, you really need all-round strength to help your team. And don’t forget, I started my career as a batsman,’’ Sree Santh said.

I am waiting to see the treatment that One man is going to give to the south african bowlers... Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar Makhaya Ntini (who is now considered to be the spearhead after the exit of Shaun Pollock) Has Not Had that much of a success against the little master.......N other pacers that saffies have brought havent seen the indian conditions....Plus Saffies dont have a quality spinner(who is so very important to succeed on Indian wickets)amongst their ranks..... As For batting is concerned saffies are weaklings against spin...with the likes of Kumble in the side and Sachin Tendulkar who is more than useful as a bowler the Indian think tank should not worry about 3 leading pacers out injured...

Langeveldt withdrawn from India Tour 18 March 2008 (17:47) Charl Langeveldt © Gallo Images Cricket South Africa (CSA) on Tuesday released fast bowler Charl Langeveldt at his request from the Proteas squad for the three-Test tour to India from March 21. This was announced by CSA CEO Gerald Majola, who said in a statement: “Charl Langeveldt called me today in an emotional state saying he wanted to withdraw from the tour to India so that he can consider his international future in the right frame of mind. “He said that the public controversy over the selection of the Proteas team to tour India had upset him to the extent that he would not be in the right frame of mind to tour India and do his best for the Proteas. “Charl said he wanted to use this time instead to consider his future in international cricket in a cool and calm manner. “I discussed the matter with the Convenor of Selectors, Joubert Strydom, and he has acceded to Charl’s request. He has been withdrawn from the touring party, and the selectors are considering a replacement. “I have assured Charl that he is very much in the Proteas’ plans, and is regarded as one of our best fast bowlers in both ODI and Test cricket. “We will have in-depth discussions with him, and hopefully he will continue to be available for international selection.”