No love for Mayank Agarwal's batting?

SK_IH

The man is on a run spree and is great to watch as well. I remember while he was piliing on those big runs in domestics last year or before that, I thought this guy has finally came of age and he truly has.  Dancing down the pitch and smacking the ball out of the ground is old skool and looks like Mayank has perfected that art.

One of India's vital cog since triumph in Aus. While ICF is dominated with Pant,Khaleel, Dhawan etc, I think this guy deserves a separate mention.

PS: Deserves a spot in other formats as well

Edited by SK_IH
36 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

The man is on a run spree and is great to watch as well. I remember while he was piliing on those big runs in domestics last year or before that, I thought this guy has finally came of age and he truly has.  Dancing down the pitch and smacking the ball out of the ground is old skool and looks like Mayank has perfected that art.

One of India's vital cog since triumph in Aus. While ICF is dominated with Pant,Khaleel, Dhawan etc, I think this guy deserves a separate mention.

PS: Deserves a spot in other formats as well

Mayank should have played world cup.He and Iyer should have played world cup instead of Pant and Karthik.There was no need to carry three stinking keepers.

Mayank is giving hope to every domestic player, if you keep scoring runs your turn will come. I love his tenacity and he has looked most assured player against spin on this team.

I had my doubts about him as he looked, and still looks, a little iffy outside off stump. But delivering in such a high-pressure debut like MCG test followed by another substantial knock at SCG, and the dominant display at home now shows his mental grit. Has shown that if he can survive first hour, he will put up a big score more often than not and that is all one can ask off an opener. As an added bonus, he is best player of spin in this lineup - real flashback to old Indian school of down-the-track-loft-the-ball style of batting against spin. Mayank's got moxy - he shld target a season of county next year to prepare for the 2021 England tour - if he fires, we can avenge those hidings Poms have given us this decade.

Mayank  deserves his spot in ODIs too. Has a far better track record  than Rohit,Dhawan.Rahul  etc in  LIST A. Normally a successful test batsman can be doubtful of  getting affected  in tests   if he plays ODIs too. But with Mayank, it seems there is very low probability of that. This is because a batsman who    could average 65 in AUS  against Cummins & co in his first assignment as an opener  despite being very aggressive in LIST A  is bound to be a successful  all round test batsman too in the long run .  I think Dhawan & Rohit  needs to be phased out in ODIs by Pant & Mayank in their places.   

4 hours ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

Thoughts on Mayank at 4, Iyer at 5 in ODIs?

Good option, only problem is neither Mayank nor Iyer offer anything with ball, so playing them both wld mean going wt just 5 bowlers, unless Pant opens in place of Dhawan....with WC 2023 at home, Mayank & Iyer can really tee off against spinners in the middle overs. Possible line up - Rohit, Pant, Kohli, Mayank, Iyer, jadeja, Hardik, Kul-Cha, Shami, Bumrah (KL, Gill, Shreyas Gopal, Saini, in squad)..most important -Rohit as captain.

It is really disappointing to see  that some one like Rahane who has  a 44.81 avg: in List A (ODI record excluded)    has played 87 ODI inns for India where as Mayank with 51.5 avg: has not even played a single ODI.Though Rahane's str: is  not there in cricinfo, it is sure to be far lesser than Mayank's  101.5 too. That means,  despite being a convincingly better domestic ODI player than Rahane Mayank has not even played a single ODI where as Rahane has played 87 inns. 

5 minutes ago, rtmohanlal said:

It is really disappointing to see  that some one like Rahane who has  a 44.81 avg: in List A (ODI record excluded)    has played 87 ODI inns for India where as Mayank with 51.5 avg: has not even played a single ODI.Though Rahane's str: is  not there in cricinfo, it is sure to be far lesser than Mayank's  101.5 too. That means,  despite being a convincingly better domestic ODI player than Rahane Mayank has not even played a single ODI where as Rahane has played 87 inns. 

I'm guessing Mayank might have boosted his average from mid 30s to 50s in last two years or after rahane was discarded.. 

Mayank should prove to TM that he can do well at 4,5 

Though the cumulative  record is not available , to boost avg: from mid 30s to 50s in just 2 years is a matter  that  is very  hard to believe.What ever it be, I still believe he deserves his chances with that convincingly superior  LIST A average   to almost  all current TOP batsmen in the team. Another positive  factor is his 6 hitting ability. He has played only 12 inns in tests  but has hit 21 6s. When thinking  that  some one like Kohli has till now managed to hit only 22 6s in 140 inns do we realize  as to how productive Mayank can be once he settles  down at the crease irrespective of formats.

Dhawan is almost 34. By the time the next world cup arrives he would be closing 38. So it is worth providing a chance to Mayank  by every  yard stick.

I think phasing out Rohit & Dhawan by providing chances to Mayank / another leftie(Pant may be) is the most productive way moving forward.