Sarfaraz Khan

maniac

Why is this guy still rated so highly?

He was retained all these years by RCB and now he is retained by Kings X1

Few years back he was touted as the next big thing in Indian cricket and was supposed to be the next big product of the u-19 system, he did show a few flashes here and there but most times he has been mediocre.

He is neither setting the domestics on fire. He seems to have a very poor record .

Only thing that stood out is that I believe since he is a middle order batsman he has a list A average of 36 and a strike rate of 97.00. That gives some hope for future.

He seems to have a 360 degree game on paper, can bowl parttime but has not translated his performances.

Is he a case of people (his team management etc) having hopes for him or does he have any influential backup?

Anyway so many talented new players have come along since 2014 the year Sarfaraz made an impact that I am not sure why he keeps getting a ride.

1 minute ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

I dnt think he is rated highly anymore , no one talks about him

He just got retained by Kings X1. Earlier he was retained by RCB.

He may not be the talk of the town like Pant,Shaw,Gill but still the fact that he is having a secure space on franchises over the years means people rate him.

By the way the earlier franchise had Kohli and Nehra in powerful roles and the current one has Kumble so those are pretty significant names.

1 minute ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

KXIP needs lower order batsman n there arent many avl in India itself

So him n mandeep both are retained n he was ok last season 

When he was retained by RCB he had the the hype due to few innings 

I hope he does well though because he can bowl part time and has very good strike rate for a guy who bats at 5-6 but looks like he has attitude issues and poor work ethic. He does play for Mumbai so if he gets a couple of standout innings he might get the attention.

However my question was despite mediocre performances and poor behavioral issues why do people persist with him despite having other talent to chose from? He must be still rated highly for T20 format

1 minute ago, maniac said:

I hope he does well though because he can bowl part time and has very good strike rate for a guy who bats at 5-6 but looks like he has attitude issues and poor work ethic. He does play for Mumbai so if he gets a couple of standout innings he might get the attention.

However my question was despite mediocre performances and poor behavioral issues why do people persist with him despite having other talent to chose from? He must be still rated highly for T20 format

my worry is how will he do well ?? most part of this season till now he isnt able to find a permanent place in XI and soon ranji will begin where he ll have no chance.

And teams have worked his 360 deg game out....last season only in a game against CSK dhoni kept fielder behind n made him go over long off n on which he cudnt clear

3 minutes ago, maniac said:

team needs certain kind of players for certain slot and then comes options avl 

In India there arent many lower order options avl- sarfu happens to be one of the potential so immediately he has value and he is young so its kind of an investment for 3 yrs till next auction. Take yusuf example- drops tons n tons of catches every season, hardly performs in 1 game , is old but still gets picked. N strong chance teams will go after him this yr  coz of rare lower order options

Its a supply-demand thing.  How many Indian batsmen are on the circuit who can be viable candidates for a lower middle order slugger that can bat at 150 SR?  Let's make a list - 

Hardik Pandya

Nitish Rana

Surya Yadav - he's opening these days IIRC

Krunal Pandya?  

K Goutham?  More of a bowler who can tonk it on his day.

Rishabh Pant

Who else?   Most teams outsource this job to the Russells, David Millers, etc  But strong IPL teams need to have Indian players, or at least backups for this crucial slot.  Most teams would like to have 3 guys in that middle order who can bat at high SR, and the Indian prospect list doesn't have too many of such players.  

Expect that tamil Shahrukh Khan kid to be highly sought after this IPL auction - for the same reason.  

Its simply smart business to hold on to a potentially valuable future 'star' especially if he's on the younger side, and demonstrates decent talent, and proper work-ethic.

Edited by sandeep