Public "obsessed" with winning ICC trophy

Cricwala

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/28195544/india-one-top-two-teams-formats-virat-kohli

Kohli conceded that winning an ICC title was "like an obsession" with the public, but prioritised processes over results and numbers. He also said that his side relished being under pressure and finding a way past it.

"You could say winning an ICC tournament is like an obsession or like a wish that people have, which is a beautiful thing to wish for because it's seen at a global level and every cricketer would want to win that," he said. "But if you ask me, honestly I didn't ever think I would be part of the winning World Cup team in my first World Cup or two years down the line we will win the Champions Trophy as well. I never thought of these things but it happened. So, it was meant to happen for us.

"But, in hindsight, you can look at a lot of things. We obviously have the desire to win big tournaments and big series and we want to give our best effort possible. But, if you focus on things which are only based on success and numbers and results, you don't enjoy the process. We play well as a team because we enjoy the process."

What Garry says at the end of the video.."It isn't about winning or losing but at the end of the day it is about winning or losing". Process over results is an oft repeated cliche that even serious sportsmen don't take too seriously, the idea of sports competition (beyond school level) is to win something worthwhile, not participation medals/certificates. England lost to Springboks in the final of the Rugby World Cup recently, players refused to wear their medals in the post-match photo sessions....and here we have a sport called cricket with maybe 5-6 serious countries, trophy shelf empty while teams like Lanka, Pak, WI have added to their kitty since our last major triumph.....kaptaan saheb is on PR overdrive.

Miss the 90s and 2000s when media would ask tough questions after major failures, now after a humiliating SF exit (courtesy selection blunder and wrong batting order more than choke fest) Kohli thinks we have done very well, that's what he claimed, no? That fans were coming up to him and saying how proud they were of our performance, like seriously? Indian white ball teams and all those associated have no standards, with this attitude they won't win anything of significance for a long long time. Already in the middle of our longest drought in ICC titles, unlike 80s/90s now we have ICC tournaments almost on an annual basis. Test cricket is different, #1 ranking means something there and we have 4 consecutive years of Kohli with the mace to show for our efforts. 

Edited by Gollum
41 minutes ago, Cricwala said:

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/28195544/india-one-top-two-teams-formats-virat-kohli

Kohli conceded that winning an ICC title was "like an obsession" with the public, but prioritised processes over results and numbers. He also said that his side relished being under pressure and finding a way past it.

"You could say winning an ICC tournament is like an obsession or like a wish that people have, which is a beautiful thing to wish for because it's seen at a global level and every cricketer would want to win that," he said. "But if you ask me, honestly I didn't ever think I would be part of the winning World Cup team in my first World Cup or two years down the line we will win the Champions Trophy as well. I never thought of these things but it happened. So, it was meant to happen for us.

"But, in hindsight, you can look at a lot of things. We obviously have the desire to win big tournaments and big series and we want to give our best effort possible. But, if you focus on things which are only based on success and numbers and results, you don't enjoy the process. We play well as a team because we enjoy the process."

Chewtiyapa ki had hoti hai.

Mr. Kohli you need to deliver or get out of the way. Expecting an ICC trophy is not irrational with all the resources you have. Moron.

40 minutes ago, Gollum said:

1.3 billion population

More or less a one sport country

Huge middle class, economy on the upswing

Decent enough cricket infra, coaching system

India a magnet to attract cricket knowledge/expertise from outside its border

BCCI richest cricket board by an order or magnitude, from that flows enormous power/influence...unlike in hockey where we were bullied into accepting astro turf

Lots of $$$$ in this sport, lots of fame for those associated 

Well established domestic system, largest league of its kind, lots of media exposure

Great legacy, lots of local heroes for inspiration from all 5 zones tbh 

Largest talent pool in any sport, doubt even Chinese TT has similar luxury of human resources 

Been in this sport for almost a century now

50% of teams from the worst sports playing region in the planet i.e. South Asia...next Olympics will confirm that for the millionth time

Outside this region cricket is not close to being top sport...means best athletic talent in Eng, WI, Aus, RSA, NZ aren't captured by their cricket ecosystem 

Cricket losing its popularity in SENAW countries, esp among those who constitute bulk of talent eg the white pop in RSA, upper class in Eng

After all this if the loyal fanbase can't demand excellence exactly what is it that Kohli and co are offering? 

kohli: being a pathetic whiner. bewda: his gazillion bottles of beer and his perfectly spherical stomach.

Worst part is, most Indians buy this c**p Kohli is peddling, about results being secondary. He spouts schoolboyish gibberish about players not being jealous of each other and enjoying each other's success (no **** Sherlock, that's the least one expects off a professional sports team representing the nation), and media doesn't probe with hard questions about why Pujara and Rahane were made insecure about their test spots, or why youngsters have repeatedly got a raw deal on his watch.....this guy is now nauseating to the core.

I am sorry, but i can see an epic phainta coming on next Aussie tour with guys like Warner,Labuschagne running into form to support Smith, and even 2 test NZ series will be a stiff challenge. If Kohli thinks he can just turn up and follow his usual process, he could be in for a rude wake up call.

4 hours ago, sergio04 said:

Come next SENA tour India will loose every single series.

India got lucky in Aus last time, but from next year usual service will resume.

I think we will beat SA. if not for ABDV, we would have won last time even despite the massive selection blunders by bewda-rat. As for playing in eng, we are almost definitely going to lose. I think our attack might be able to do fine in NZ and Oz, but a lot will depend on how much our batting steps up to the plate.

I think the process jargon is partly PR and partly a pressure reliever. It’s a lot tougher going out thinking, “I have to win today” than thinking about the things one needs to do at a point of time. Until some new theory becomes fashionable, every captain will use the process lingo. Just like every bowler attributes his success to “bowling at the right areas”. 

5 hours ago, Vijy said:

I think we will beat SA. if not for ABDV, we would have won last time even despite the massive selection blunders by bewda-rat. As for playing in eng, we are almost definitely going to lose. I think our attack might be able to do fine in NZ and Oz, but a lot will depend on how much our batting steps up to the plate.

we will run into our familiar nemesis on all tours - doughty lower order batting. Once ball is soft and conditions have eased out, even Bumrah, Ishant and Shami will struggle, and the captain's desperation could seep into rest of the team. That's when you need either an X-factor bowler to get wickets, or a captain's acumen comes to fore to end a stubborn partnership.

Remember the Adelaide test when we huffed and puffed in defending 322 in last innings and Australia fell just 31 short? We had a full strength attack then, and they clearly struggled. Those sort of scenarios need to be tackled with planning and foresight, the actual boring processes that Bewda-Rat sweep under the carpet - 1.) pre-series preparation on every opposition batsmen's weaknesses (even lower order ones) 2.) Clear plan B for bowling attack with options like - bowl wide outside off with packed offside field to curb runs, try bodyline for one spell, in-out fields. I remember Aussies at one point had figured out Tendulkar sometimes plays in air while flicking so they would bowl at his pads with 2 short mid-wickets, or Naseer decided to bore him out with Giles bowling outside leg....can Kohli-Shastri come up with something similar for Smith? 3.) Ability to repay opposition in same coin - have we tasked our tail to improve batting, maybe paired a batsman with a bowler like Aussies did under Steve Waugh/Buchannan?  4.) Clearly sort out selection matters before the series - openers, wicket-keeper, frontline spinner! You will not win tough tours when you yourself aren't clear about your best 11 before setting foot in that other country.

Else, we should just prepare to listen to Bewda going 'I will be the last to press the panic button after seeing so many positives....this team is young, with experience of two tough tours behind them, I am sure we will do better next time". Of course, by next time, the oldies would be retiring and then the 'ín transition' excuse can be trotted out.

Edited by Cricwala