Cricwala

Public "obsessed" with winning ICC trophy

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/28195544/india-one-top-two-teams-formats-virat-kohli

Kohli conceded that winning an ICC title was "like an obsession" with the public, but prioritised processes over results and numbers. He also said that his side relished being under pressure and finding a way past it.

"You could say winning an ICC tournament is like an obsession or like a wish that people have, which is a beautiful thing to wish for because it's seen at a global level and every cricketer would want to win that," he said. "But if you ask me, honestly I didn't ever think I would be part of the winning World Cup team in my first World Cup or two years down the line we will win the Champions Trophy as well. I never thought of these things but it happened. So, it was meant to happen for us.

"But, in hindsight, you can look at a lot of things. We obviously have the desire to win big tournaments and big series and we want to give our best effort possible. But, if you focus on things which are only based on success and numbers and results, you don't enjoy the process. We play well as a team because we enjoy the process."

What Garry says at the end of the video.."It isn't about winning or losing but at the end of the day it is about winning or losing". Process over results is an oft repeated cliche that even serious sportsmen don't take too seriously, the idea of sports competition (beyond school level) is to win something worthwhile, not participation medals/certificates. England lost to Springboks in the final of the Rugby World Cup recently, players refused to wear their medals in the post-match photo sessions....and here we have a sport called cricket with maybe 5-6 serious countries, trophy shelf empty while teams like Lanka, Pak, WI have added to their kitty since our last major triumph.....kaptaan saheb is on PR overdrive.

Miss the 90s and 2000s when media would ask tough questions after major failures, now after a humiliating SF exit (courtesy selection blunder and wrong batting order more than choke fest) Kohli thinks we have done very well, that's what he claimed, no? That fans were coming up to him and saying how proud they were of our performance, like seriously? Indian white ball teams and all those associated have no standards, with this attitude they won't win anything of significance for a long long time. Already in the middle of our longest drought in ICC titles, unlike 80s/90s now we have ICC tournaments almost on an annual basis. Test cricket is different, #1 ranking means something there and we have 4 consecutive years of Kohli with the mace to show for our efforts. 

Edited by Gollum

41 minutes ago, Cricwala said:

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/28195544/india-one-top-two-teams-formats-virat-kohli

Kohli conceded that winning an ICC title was "like an obsession" with the public, but prioritised processes over results and numbers. He also said that his side relished being under pressure and finding a way past it.

"You could say winning an ICC tournament is like an obsession or like a wish that people have, which is a beautiful thing to wish for because it's seen at a global level and every cricketer would want to win that," he said. "But if you ask me, honestly I didn't ever think I would be part of the winning World Cup team in my first World Cup or two years down the line we will win the Champions Trophy as well. I never thought of these things but it happened. So, it was meant to happen for us.

"But, in hindsight, you can look at a lot of things. We obviously have the desire to win big tournaments and big series and we want to give our best effort possible. But, if you focus on things which are only based on success and numbers and results, you don't enjoy the process. We play well as a team because we enjoy the process."

Chewtiyapa ki had hoti hai.

Mr. Kohli you need to deliver or get out of the way. Expecting an ICC trophy is not irrational with all the resources you have. Moron.

40 minutes ago, Gollum said:

1.3 billion population

More or less a one sport country

Huge middle class, economy on the upswing

Decent enough cricket infra, coaching system

India a magnet to attract cricket knowledge/expertise from outside its border

BCCI richest cricket board by an order or magnitude, from that flows enormous power/influence...unlike in hockey where we were bullied into accepting astro turf

Lots of $$$$ in this sport, lots of fame for those associated 

Well established domestic system, largest league of its kind, lots of media exposure

Great legacy, lots of local heroes for inspiration from all 5 zones tbh 

Largest talent pool in any sport, doubt even Chinese TT has similar luxury of human resources 

Been in this sport for almost a century now

50% of teams from the worst sports playing region in the planet i.e. South Asia...next Olympics will confirm that for the millionth time

Outside this region cricket is not close to being top sport...means best athletic talent in Eng, WI, Aus, RSA, NZ aren't captured by their cricket ecosystem 

Cricket losing its popularity in SENAW countries, esp among those who constitute bulk of talent eg the white pop in RSA, upper class in Eng

After all this if the loyal fanbase can't demand excellence exactly what is it that Kohli and co are offering? 

kohli: being a pathetic whiner. bewda: his gazillion bottles of beer and his perfectly spherical stomach.

Worst part is, most Indians buy this c**p Kohli is peddling, about results being secondary. He spouts schoolboyish gibberish about players not being jealous of each other and enjoying each other's success (no **** Sherlock, that's the least one expects off a professional sports team representing the nation), and media doesn't probe with hard questions about why Pujara and Rahane were made insecure about their test spots, or why youngsters have repeatedly got a raw deal on his watch.....this guy is now nauseating to the core.

I am sorry, but i can see an epic phainta coming on next Aussie tour with guys like Warner,Labuschagne running into form to support Smith, and even 2 test NZ series will be a stiff challenge. If Kohli thinks he can just turn up and follow his usual process, he could be in for a rude wake up call.

I wish one had the same luxury in every profession. A fund manager could say I followed fundamental but lost your money. What about doctors who are involved with cricketers rehab. Should they be result oriented? What about the driver of team bus? 

4 hours ago, sergio04 said:

Come next SENA tour India will loose every single series.

India got lucky in Aus last time, but from next year usual service will resume.

I think we will beat SA. if not for ABDV, we would have won last time even despite the massive selection blunders by bewda-rat. As for playing in eng, we are almost definitely going to lose. I think our attack might be able to do fine in NZ and Oz, but a lot will depend on how much our batting steps up to the plate.

I think the process jargon is partly PR and partly a pressure reliever. It’s a lot tougher going out thinking, “I have to win today” than thinking about the things one needs to do at a point of time. Until some new theory becomes fashionable, every captain will use the process lingo. Just like every bowler attributes his success to “bowling at the right areas”. 

5 hours ago, Vijy said:

I think we will beat SA. if not for ABDV, we would have won last time even despite the massive selection blunders by bewda-rat. As for playing in eng, we are almost definitely going to lose. I think our attack might be able to do fine in NZ and Oz, but a lot will depend on how much our batting steps up to the plate.

we will run into our familiar nemesis on all tours - doughty lower order batting. Once ball is soft and conditions have eased out, even Bumrah, Ishant and Shami will struggle, and the captain's desperation could seep into rest of the team. That's when you need either an X-factor bowler to get wickets, or a captain's acumen comes to fore to end a stubborn partnership.

Remember the Adelaide test when we huffed and puffed in defending 322 in last innings and Australia fell just 31 short? We had a full strength attack then, and they clearly struggled. Those sort of scenarios need to be tackled with planning and foresight, the actual boring processes that Bewda-Rat sweep under the carpet - 1.) pre-series preparation on every opposition batsmen's weaknesses (even lower order ones) 2.) Clear plan B for bowling attack with options like - bowl wide outside off with packed offside field to curb runs, try bodyline for one spell, in-out fields. I remember Aussies at one point had figured out Tendulkar sometimes plays in air while flicking so they would bowl at his pads with 2 short mid-wickets, or Naseer decided to bore him out with Giles bowling outside leg....can Kohli-Shastri come up with something similar for Smith? 3.) Ability to repay opposition in same coin - have we tasked our tail to improve batting, maybe paired a batsman with a bowler like Aussies did under Steve Waugh/Buchannan?  4.) Clearly sort out selection matters before the series - openers, wicket-keeper, frontline spinner! You will not win tough tours when you yourself aren't clear about your best 11 before setting foot in that other country.

Else, we should just prepare to listen to Bewda going 'I will be the last to press the panic button after seeing so many positives....this team is young, with experience of two tough tours behind them, I am sure we will do better next time". Of course, by next time, the oldies would be retiring and then the 'ín transition' excuse can be trotted out.

Edited by Cricwala

1 minute ago, Mosher said:

This "follow the process" nonsense was started by Dhoni now Kohli is continuing it. Dhoni used to talk about out the "process" when we were getting hammered in tests while Kohli brings it out after we fail to win an ICC trophy. 

Absolutely. Dhoni is fcuking things up even when not in the scheme of things.

Edited by Stan AF

I think Ganguly was the first major or influential voice who raised the issue of India's inability to win ICC trophies in recent times . It is strange we've been faltering in the knockouts regularly & no administrator in the BCCI even spoke a word about it in the past. Where's the scrutiny even from the media about faltering in semis & finals?  
And honestly what's the problem with the obsession of an Indian fan who wants his team to fill the cupboard with these ICC trophies? The team is fine, we have the resources, talent available but still they come short like Proteas of the past.
Regarding the process part please do enjoy it, but in those crunch matches you have to make an extra effort to complete the task . Unfortunately when I watch them play I see the same old mindset of competing in a random bilateral series.  

He is preaching as if He has done some major things in test matches, We were anyway unbeatable at Home.

Lost against England 1-4 but He was lecturing that final line(Results) doesnt suggest that how interesting and competitive series was, Same in SA after the so called chase master failed to chase even targets of 200. The Australian team with Smith,Warner and new Kid Labuschagne will eat this team alive next time. The guy is biggest pretender and fraudster, even more than Dhoni.

He should start winning some major trophies in ODIs otherwise he will always remembered as bilateral bully,the 60-70 centuries he will hit means zilch. Rohit is already a better white ball batsman than him.

1 hour ago, -Robin- said:

Mr Kohli should be happy that he is playing in the era of mediocre teams while his team is best in indian history

nailed it....failing to win in SA and Eng now when their teams are considerably weaker than 10-12 years back is a disgrace. In ODIs too, we have more depth and match-winners than most other teams (bar maybe England), but have failed to utilize the talent pool due to Kohlis arrogance and petty politics.

Kohli is right in a sense that he needs to give more importance to process and become the best team they can become.Results will follow if they keep doing what they have been doing plus if they can find some talented batsmen.

The entitled Indian public think if Indian team does not win cups it is a failure, Talent does not grow on trees or just because BCCI is rich, Indian team does not have to be talented.There is one batsmen in this team who merits his place in all three formats and people expect miracles with this talent.

Fricking Indian teams with Sachin and fab4 lost to Zimbabwe, now we are classifying close losses in England and SA as some massive failures.What will be failure is if they fail to build on their previous tours and convert those losses to wins provided they have no injuries and it starts in NZ.

WI was the best team 1980s but they never won any world cup during 1980s.You need some luck to win these tournaments.Kohli has to show up in these knockouts too.

Edited by putrevus

7 hours ago, Stan AF said:

I for one would never expect words of these sort to come out of a captain like Rohit Sharma. This guy is either just not interested/incapable of winning anything. Though I'm betting on the latter. No wonder he hasn't won even a single IPL Trophy.

Pay close attention when he does his press stuff, the “process” dialogue is there. Separately, I think he would do fine as a captain.  But, I think if he does do it on a full time basis, his drawbacks would show up too and he would take a similar beating from fans that Kohli does now. We will be pining for someone else.

48 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Kohli is right in a sense that he needs to give more importance to process and become the best team they can become.Results will follow if they keep doing what they have been doing plus if they can find some talented batsmen.

The entitled Indian public think if Indian team does not win cups it is a failure, Talent does not grow on trees or just because BCCI is rich, Indian team does not have to be talented.There is one batsmen in this team who merits his place in all three formats and people expect miracles with this talent.

Fricking Indian teams with Sachin and fab4 lost to Zimbabwe, now we are classifying close losses in England and SA as some massive failures.What will be failure is if they fail to build on their previous tours and convert those losses to win provided they have no injuries and it starts in NZ.

WI was the best team 1980s but they never won any world cup during 1980s.You need some luck to win these tournaments.Kohli has to show up in these knockouts too.

And the other side in that semi final game was pretty good too. Trent Boult is no slouch. 

Just now, kirkutfan said:

And the other side in that semi final game was pretty good too. Trent Boult is no slouch. 

NZ copped the same results as India in 1992, when they were best team in league phase only to be knocked out by very lucky Pakistan who barely made it to semis.

Do you want to be  Pakistan who by sheer luck won CT2017 and was/is stinking before and after that lucky win.

15 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Do you want to be  Pakistan who by sheer luck won CT2017 and was/is stinking before and after that lucky win.

These are not mutually exclusive outcomes and no one is arguing that process and bi-laterals are not important.

They absolutely are and Kohli and Bewda have done good work . But with LOIs if you go 10 odd years with a fairly strong team but no silverware in the cupboard, people are bound to ask questions

3 minutes ago, ganeshran said:

These are not mutually exclusive outcomes and no one is arguing that process and bi-laterals are not important.

They absolutely are and Kohli and Bewda have done good work . But with LOIs if you go 10 odd years with a fairly strong team but no silverware in the cupboard, people are bound to ask questions

They are not mutually exclusive I understand that , weird things have happened Ashwin bowling a no ball in T20 semis, Bumrah bowling no ball in CT 2017 and rainout happening in semis and NZ getting to start fresh next day.I am not offering excuses but these have happened, I don't think the team lost by being inept or lazy.They just got beat and Kohli also knows he needs to win few tournaments to be classfied as a great team.

They have been handed over very unbalanced teams.Bowlers cannot bat , batsmen cannot bowl.Adding to their woes they had one of the worst selection committees who have no foresight.

Which Indian team in their history competed in all the overseas tours.Teams have to learn how to win, even the great Australian team failed to win in 2001.India with their putrid travel history is learning to win these tough series.To win you need to be able to compete and take 20 wickets.It has done both but they had horrible openers and many batsmen did not show up .

If they fail to build on their last SENA tours then we have an issue IMO.

Kohli apologists don't get one simple thing, or they pretend not to - no one is expecting any team to win all tournaments, and no one is comparing Kohli's team with past teams (it is Shastri who started that d**k measuring contest on Kohli's behalf, although he has piped down now.)

of course, losses are a part of any game, but expecting a team to learn from losses is also normal. What people are against is inability to introspect, inventing excuses and pretending as if everything is ok when obvious gaps exist in the teams gameplan. The apologists' refusal to see obvious flaws in Kohli's thinking and inability to groom players, and just rubbishing those players with potential for not delivering, is also amusing. Let's just wait for next SENA cycle before commenting is a bit like saying let's wait for the result of the next exam before asking a student to rectify obvious flaws in preparation.

What Kohli's detractors fail to understand, this team has come long way from Chandimal's match.It has shown improvement every series.It has become ruthless.To groom players you need talented players too, they tried to groom guys like Rahul and Pandya.It is not their fault they stunk.They choose Bumrah over Ishant when they could have easily gone with Ishant.Did they make any mistakes yes,they did but which team does not make those mistakes.

This Indian team is fittest team in their history and is one of best fielding teams in the world when was last time an Indian team was this good in fielding.

MMQB can be done against any result.Kohli is saddled with one of the worst battting groups.They have just given debuts to Mayank ,Shaw and Vihari, if Shaw fails his drug test is it their fault.Kohli was saddled with team without its captain as that captain had enough with those losses and choose to quit midway thru the series.Kohli has led the team not by just talking but he walked the talk to with his bat too by being best batsmen in all formats in world .Has he delivered in knockout matches no, he has not and 2019 semi final loss is totally on him failing to deliver for his team.

He has made that team which was languishing at no7 to  world no1 team for three years in running.

He has resurrected the careers of Shami, Umesh and Ishant.He has made Indian bowling a force to reckon, he has laid ground work for this team to compete and win in any conditions.

If people have unreliastic expectations how is it his problem.To win world cups and overseas series you need great players too and luck.He needs some talented players .Who are those who have been left out?

Edited by putrevus

28 minutes ago, putrevus said:

What Kohli's detractors fail to understand, this team has come long way from Chandimal's match.It has shown improvement every series.It has become ruthless.To groom players you need talented players too, they tried to groom guys like Rahul and Pandya.It is not their fault they stunk.They choose Bumrah over Ishant when they could have easily gone with Ishant.Did they make any mistakes yes,they did but which team does not make those mistakes.

This Indian team is fittest team in their history and is one of best fielding teams in the world when was last time an Indian team was this good in fielding.

MMQB can be done against any result.Kohli is saddled with one of the worst battting groups.They have just given debuts to Mayank ,Shaw and Vihari, if Shaw fails his drug test is it their fault.Kohli was saddled with team without its captain as that captain had enough with those losses and choose to quit midway thru the series.Kohli has led the team not by just talking but he walked the talk to with his bat too by being best batsmen in all formats in world .Has he delivered in knockout matches no, he has not and 2019 semi final loss is totally on him failing to deliver for his team.

He has made that team which was languishing at no7 to  world no1 team for three years in running.

He has resurrected the careers of Shami, Umesh and Ishant.He has made Indian bowling a force to reckon, he has laid ground work for this team to compete and win in any conditions.

If people have unreliastic expectations how is it his problem.To win world cups and overseas series you need great players too and luck.He needs some talented players .Who are those who have been left out?

LOL can you come up with better excuses please.

Let’s see how Kohli ‘resurrected’ careers of Shami and Umesh by not picking them in knock outs of two ICC trophies which he promptly went onto lose. Umesh in 2017 CT and Shami in 2019 WC were the two in-form pacers. Kohli gave them confidence by benching them for Bhuvi Kumar as he offered ‘control’! Some way to motivate players that.

Then come Kuldeep and Chahal. From July 2017 to Oct 2018, both won match after match for India bowling in tandem during the middle overs home or away. But then Kohli suddenly rediscovered the control Jadeja offered. Do you remember how many times Kuldeep/Chahal were benched before the WC as Kohli preferred Jadeja. No wonder both of them had lost rhythm and it showed in the WC. Someway to get your premier spinners ready for the WC.

Less said about his batting choices, the better.

Thats that for LOIs.

In tests, two away series of note we played were vs SA and England. Both again lost due to incompetent captaincy and baffling team selections as kaptaan saahib was busy playing a game of roulette picking and dropping players at his whim.

Be happy with the stats padding vs WI, SL, SA in transition, Aus and BD missing two main players. The upcoming NZ series will show the real strength of this test team, like the Eng and SA tours did earlier. Whom will you blame for the inevitable? Not difficult to guess.

2 hours ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

LOL can you come up with better excuses please.

Let’s see how Kohli ‘resurrected’ careers of Shami and Umesh by not picking them in knock outs of two ICC trophies which he promptly went onto lose. Umesh in 2017 CT and Shami in 2019 WC were the two in-form pacers. Kohli gave them confidence by benching them for Bhuvi Kumar as he offered ‘control’! Some way to motivate players that.

Then come Kuldeep and Chahal. From July 2017 to Oct 2018, both won match after match for India bowling in tandem during the middle overs home or away. But then Kohli suddenly rediscovered the control Jadeja offered. Do you remember how many times Kuldeep/Chahal were benched before the WC as Kohli preferred Jadeja. No wonder both of them had lost rhythm and it showed in the WC. Someway to get your premier spinners ready for the WC.

Less said about his batting choices, the better.

Thats that for LOIs.

In tests, two away series of note we played were vs SA and England. Both again lost due to incompetent captaincy and baffling team selections as kaptaan saahib was busy playing a game of roulette picking and dropping players at his whim.

Be happy with the stats padding vs WI, SL, SA in transition, Aus and BD missing two main players. The upcoming NZ series will show the real strength of this test team, like the Eng and SA tours did earlier. Whom will you blame for the inevitable? Not difficult to guess.

I am not coming with any excuses, I am offering my views. Who says they have to be picked for every match.Bhuvi was preferrred for one reason, he could offer more with bat and he is better at death. It shows lack of balance in this team that India could not afford to play both Bhuvi and Shami.India was only one team which played with just two front line seamers.

Kuldeep had utrocious IPL and after that he was awful.How did he do in matches he played in world cup.Yeah right let us blame everything on captain.Rahul was benched for first test in SA so he gets licence to stink for next four series where he plays every match.Stop putting the blame on captain for everything.

They had to try Jadeja as Kuldeep was atrocious with ball in world cup.I am happy with what he is doing as a captain as I am realistic with the talent he is having at his disposal. 

Edited by putrevus

1 hour ago, putrevus said:

I am not coming with any excuses, I am offering with views. Who says they have to be picked for every match.Bhuvi was preferrred for one reason, he could offer more with bat and he is better at death. It shows lack of balance in this team that India could not afford to play both Bhuvi and Shami.India was only one team which played with just two front line seamers.

Kuldeep had utrocious IPL and after that he was awful.How did he do in matches he played in world cup.Yeah right let us blame everything on captain.Rahul was benched for first test in SA so he gets licence to stink for next four series where he plays every match.Stop putting the blame on captain for everything.

They had to try Jadeja as Kuldeep was atrocious with ball in world cup.I am happy with what he is doing as a captain as I am realistic with the talent he is having at his disposal. 

All I read is excuses. Bhuvi this and Bhuvi that. Bhuvi offers more with the bat, hence scored 2 and 0 with the bat in the WC. Is great at death but took ZERO wickets with the new ball all through the WC.

Kuldeep had an atrocious IPL, of course he had. The wheels had been set in motion by his inept captain who was dropping him at his whim in the run up to the WC breaking his rhythm. BTW what exactly did Bhuvi did in the same IPL?  Or Vijay Shankar? And why was that 'IPL form' not applied for Pant's selection at 4? Let me tell you why. Because this captain thinks he is the king and can do as he wishes with a PR mafia at his back.

He is damn lucky he was supported in his younger days by a supportive coach and captain. If they had started judging him on 'IPL form',or form in a few matches, his career would have been over before the age of 20-21.

And that last bolded part makes me puke.  You are talking about an Indian team that has won u-19 WC and has won every A side tournament it has played in. Do not let the incompetence of this pretender of a captain blind your thinking about the best ever talent pool available in our history.

1 hour ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

All I read is excuses. Bhuvi this and Bhuvi that. Bhuvi offers more with the bat, hence scored 2 and 0 with the bat in the WC. Is great at death but took ZERO wickets with the new ball all through the WC.

Kuldeep had an atrocious IPL, of course he had. The wheels had been set in motion by his inept captain who was dropping him at his whim in the run up to the WC breaking his rhythm. BTW what exactly did Bhuvi did in the same IPL?  Or Vijay Shankar? And why was that 'IPL form' not applied for Pant's selection at 4? Let me tell you why. Because this captain thinks he is the king and can do as he wishes with a PR mafia at his back.

He is damn lucky he was supported in his younger days by a supportive coach and captain. If they had started judging him on 'IPL form',or form in a few matches, his career would have been over before the age of 20-21.

And that last bolded part makes me puke.  You are talking about an Indian team that has won u-19 WC and has won every A side tournament it has played in. Do not let the incompetence of this pretender of a captain blind your thinking about the best ever talent pool available in our history.

You can read whatever you want. Kohli averged in 40s from his 11th match so cut this nonsense that he was somehow supported by captain and coach, he performed thats why he went ahead of players like Raina and Rohit.It is not by accident he became no4 in world cup in 2011.

He was dropped after his bad test series in WI right after world cup.He was an established batsmen who scored everywhere when he failed in England. That can happen with anyone.

He is the best captain India ever had in any format.India has not gotten over the line in many ICC  knockout matches since 2013.Kohli took over captaincy in 2017 in odis.Kohli himself was masterful in two T20 world cups and yet has nothing to show as far trophies are concerned.

What has under 19 wc got to do with Indian senior team.Unmukth Chand and Baba Aparajith were stars in under 19 World cup winning team, where are they now?So this notion that India by winning under 19 world cups must have great talent is utter nonsense.

I just don't see any great talented batsmen in Indian cricket .Neither does the system have multifaceted players.India will still go where their top three will take them in next T20 world cup also.Hope Rahul is part of that top three.If it had talented batsmen who could fill that no4 role they would have done it,Gill and Shaw may be ones but they were too young for 2019 world cup.

Edited by putrevus

11 hours ago, -Robin- said:

This is the mindset of Indian captains they cant think beyond process lol

As if 4 years process is not enough to provide result.

Problem is they are not even following the process. A process includes failure which results in learning . Kohli cant keep patience after few failure of someone. How is that even a process when he has stopped it midway. He cant even back his bad choices forget the right ones

39 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Problem is they are not even following the process. A process includes failure which results in learning . Kohli cant keep patience after few failure of someone. How is that even a process when he has stopped it midway. He cant even back his bad choices forget the right ones

Captains want credit for wins, never the responsibility for the loss.  This interview shows how much Virat is believing his own hype.  

To think that an Indian team failed to win the WC because of problems with batting, in the middle-order?  That is, and remains a solvable problem, only made complex by a failure to address it selflessly.  If you said, we lacked pace bowling, or a good wrist spinner, or some skill that we don't have represented in the massive player pool that Indian cricket has - that's one thing.  

We had peak Bumrah, peak Bhuvi, peak Chahal, Hardik Pandya in his prime, Rohit firing, and Virat with the bat.  This team had all that it needed to blow away the other teams.  But it allowed a known weakness to fester and rot.  All because of selfish carelessness.  Because they know that not winning the WC has zero consequences on their brand and market value.  Whereas ceding their lucrative money-making top order batting slots to new faces definitely does.  

19 hours ago, Bigg Brother said:

He is preaching as if He has done some major things in test matches, We were anyway unbeatable at Home.

Lost against England 1-4 but He was lecturing that final line(Results) doesnt suggest that how interesting and competitive series was, Same in SA after the so called chase master failed to chase even targets of 200. The Australian team with Smith,Warner and new Kid Labuschagne will eat this team alive next time. The guy is biggest pretender and fraudster, even more than Dhoni.

He should start winning some major trophies in ODIs otherwise he will always remembered as bilateral bully,the 60-70 centuries he will hit means zilch. Rohit is already a better white ball batsman than him.

If Australia can get 1-2 more solid middle order batsmen they'll be back to being unbeatable again. Labuschagne is a great find for them.  They need one more good middle order bat and a wicket keeper bat like Haddin instead of Paine and they're good.

Edited by Stan AF

9 hours ago, putrevus said:

You can read whatever you want. Kohli averged in 40s from his 11th match so cut this nonsense that he was somehow supported by captain and coach, he performed thats why he went ahead of players like Raina and Rohit.It is not by accident he became no4 in world cup in 2011.

He was dropped after his bad test series in WI right after world cup.He was an established batsmen who scored everywhere when he failed in England. That can happen with anyone.

He is the best captain India ever had in any format.India has not gotten over the line in many ICC  knockout matches since 2013.Kohli took over captaincy in 2017 in odis.Kohli himself was masterful in two T20 world cups and yet has nothing to show as far trophies are concerned.

What has under 19 wc got to do with Indian senior team.Unmukth Chand and Baba Aparajith were stars in under 19 World cup winning team, where are they now?So this notion that India by winning under 19 world cups must have great talent is utter nonsense.

I just don't see any great talented batsmen in Indian cricket .Neither does the system have multifaceted players.India will still go where their top three will take them in next T20 world cup also.Hope Rahul is part of that top three.If it had talented batsmen who could fill that no4 role they would have done it,Gill and Shaw may be ones but they were too young for 2019 world cup.

Have you checked Kuldeep's average in LOIs? Why are you tying yourself in knots by shifting the goalposts in each argument?

Unmukt and Aparajith are where Kohli would have been if not for a supportive coach and captain who saw merit in picking him right after the u-19 WC.

Rest of the post will put to shame even Kohli's PR mafia

47 minutes ago, Stan AF said:

If Australia can get 1-2 more solid middle order batsmen they'll be back to being unbeatable again. Labuschagne is a great find for them.  They need one more good middle order bat and a wicket keeper bat like Haddin instead of Paine and they're good.

They have alex carrey.....get him in. He ll add strength to that batting order 

1 hour ago, Stan AF said:

They have Carey, they are just waiting for Smith's ban to get over (About Captaincy) and Carey will be drafted in test team right away with Smith as captain.

In India or subcontinent in general, people always remembers ICC performances more and rate players/captains based on it .

For example, Dravid is always remembered as a skipper under whom we got eliminated 1st round in the 2007 world cup. Few remember that we won the test series in England same year under him.

Dhoni is considered as a legendary skipper for his winnings in ICC & IPL tourneys but no one remembers about the overseas 8-0 test loss.

Kohli is considered a flop captain bcoz he is yet to win a world cup or IPL etc. No one calls him great skipper because he won us a test series in Australia.

We are a T20/ODI crazy country and fans like big sixes/ fast paced games etc.. Apart from few purists like us in the forum, not many care about test cricket.

Edited by Austin 3:!6