cric_fan

Bob Willis: dies aged 70

Never saw him live in action, but I used to love his analysis in post match shows. Very unbiased and used to actually analyze the game instead of spouting BS which has become so common in these kind of shows. Among those associated with English cricket, he was my fav. 

Edited by Gollum

1 hour ago, Gollum said:

Very unbiased and used to actually analyze the game instead of spouting BS which has become so common in these kind of shows.

he was a very very good bowler( i never cared to know that) but i think he was a better commentator. He wanted analysis to be the basis of commentary always.

To those who watched him live how did he compare with the greats of that era? I rate him above Botham as bowler, kinda like the Gillespie of that era and what Ishant should have developed into. 

Edited by Gollum

Back in the day Gavaskar used to do a TV show on classic cricket matches. The famous Headingley Ashes test was featured in one of the episodes. Botham got the accolades which he deserved but what I remember most from that episode is Bob Willis charging in to destroy the Aussie batting line up in the 4th innings. He bowled his heart out and then some. You could see that burning desire to succeed in his eyes. One of the all time great performances on the cricket field. Rest In Peace Bob Willis, you legend!

23 hours ago, Gollum said:

To those who watched him live how did he compare with the greats of that era? I rate him above Botham as bowler, kinda like the Gillespie of that era and what Ishant should have developed into. 

He had a pacy run up. Gavaskar found him quick.