Shaheen Afridi Gets Mocked By Australian Journalist After He Struggled To Speak In English

Aiden

It's actually our fault. And by "our" , I mean we desis. 

We are so obsessed with English that we tend to forget it's just a language. You always here desi parents saying "wah! Kitna pada likha hai mera bacha!" when there bacha says two English words. :facepalm:

And then there are a few wannabe westerners (mostly youth) in our society, who speak as if Queen Elizabeth is their grandma and that too with people who speak the same language as them. No problem with this, but when they look down at people who actually value their mother tongue and called them "gawaar" and crap like that. Don't say I'm generalising because I've seen people do this multiple times at workplace and in other social gatherings. 

Here, Shaheen could've just spoken Urdu which he's comfortable with and had a translator but he probably thought that he'd be taken as an "illiterate" back home by doing so. :no:

European and South American footballers often speak in their native tongue in interviews, cricket should be flexible enough to provide that opportunity of translation. Sportsman's job is to play, not learn foreign languages. Agree about many in our society looking down upon those who aren't fluent in English, angrez chale gaye aulad chor ke. 

Edited by Gollum

I think these western journalists do this now and then to keep their name in the papers. Their will be a huge furor in the Aussie media over this and how this was racist and what not. Its just a thing to rile up the masses and keep the papers running. Actually the comment was not that bad actually. he basically said he couldn't understand a word he spoke. May not be racist or colonialist but definitely meant to create controversy and have the Aussie public engage in this media drama. Its basically infotainment for the masses.

12 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Wow. for the first time I'm agreeing with you. Wow I'm in a state of shock :shock:

Great. I hope we get to agree more in the future.Let us not forget this is a forum and we express our opinions freely. I for sure am not looking for approval from others. I just throw my stuff out there based on 4 or 5 sports I follow and come to some conclusions. I get lot of disagrees but I am who I am.

2 minutes ago, Khota said:

Great. I hope we get to agree more in the future.Let us not forget this is a forum and we express our opinions freely. I for sure am not looking for approval from others. I just throw my stuff out there based on 4 or 5 sports I follow and come to some conclusions. I get lot of disagrees but I am who I am.

You have your right to your opinion but others have a right to disagree. But opening up random threads and restarting them when it has died down is asking for more rebuttals and dare I say attention :phehe:  In a way the site admin should applaud your efforts at keeping this place going :dance:

4 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

You have your right to your opinion but others have a right to disagree. But opening up random threads and restarting them when it has died down is asking for more rebuttals and dare I say attention :phehe:  In a way the site admin should applaud your efforts at keeping this place going :dance:

Attention is the last thing I seek. For the life of me I have never understood the concept of all rounder so I bring it up. You just cannot excel in two things, not at that level. That is why I bump up some of the old threads as a reminder. I have different views but I am very comfortable in my skin.

1 hour ago, Khota said:

Attention is the last thing I seek. For the life of me I have never understood the concept of all rounder so I bring it up. You just cannot excel in two things, not at that level. That is why I bump up some of the old threads as a reminder. I have different views but I am very comfortable in my skin.

So what was Kallis, Botham, Kapil, Klusener, they r rare but worth their weight in Gold, believe if Sachin had more mental fortitude he would have been in the list of great all rounders as well

2 hours ago, MCcricket said:

So what was Kallis, Botham, Kapil, Klusener, they r rare but worth their weight in Gold, believe if Sachin had more mental fortitude he would have been in the list of great all rounders as well

And you prove my point. 100 years of Indian cricket and that is the only name that comes up all the time.