Babar Azam - an ATG in making?

Austin 3:!6

Looks like a highclass batsman and scoring runs consistently across all formats now. I dont think I have seen a better batsman from Pakistan ever since I am following cricket. He is only 25, so peak years are still ahead for him. I think he is already a better bat than KW or Root and just a notch below Kohli/Smith. It will be interesting to track his performance bcoz the dude can bat and will potentially break many records in future.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

Looks like a highclass batsman and scoring runs consistently across all formats now. I dont think I have seen a better batsman from Pakistan ever since I am following cricket. He is only 25, so peak years are still ahead for him. I think he is already a better bat than KW or Root and just a notch below Kohli/Smith. It will be interesting to track his performance bcoz the dude can bat and will potentially break many records in future.

Interesting. Havent seen much of him.

He is not better than either Joe Root or KW.He has potential to be very good.
Hmm maybe. Also, considering his age...it would be unfair to compare him with current fab 4. Who are the next gen fab 4 then? Only Babar and Labuschange comes to mind for now. Just wonder, where Shubhman Gill would have been had given regular chances.

Babar always had an unbelievable talent with copybook/classy technique from very early age but lacked some self belief due to being a very shy person and I think for dropping the school early for cricket and also lacked some  physical strength. Over last 2-3 years he has overcome these issues and now sky is the limit for him. In Kohli he is lucky to have a master whom he can continue follow and learn. Currently in test cricket , he is only behind Kohli and Smith and in WBC ( white ball cricket ), Sharma is also ahead of him. 

6 minutes ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

Hmm maybe. Also, considering his age...it would be unfair to compare him with current fab 4. Who are the next gen fab 4 then? Only Babar and Labuschange comes to mind for now. Just wonder, where Shubhman Gill would have been had given regular chances.

He is not in their class,How the heck Gill would be like Babar, he is just 20 just played only handful of matches,

4 minutes ago, First class said:

Babar always had an unbelievable talent with copybook/classy technique from very early age but lacked some self belief due to being a very shy person and I think for dropping the school early for cricket and also lacked some  physical strength. Over last 2-3 years he has overcome these issues and now sky is the limit for him. In Kohli he is lucky to have a master whom he can continue follow and learn. Currently in test cricket , he is only behind Kohli and Smith and in WBC ( white ball cricket ), Sharma is also ahead of him. 

Lol oh bhai Babar is not even top 10 in test cricket. He has lots to prove in test cricket. Khelne de abhi :lol:

Fundamentals are good, good balance and footwork. Nice cover drive. Has a tendency to go fishing outside the off early, but is able to curb it at times too. 

He's a very good batsman but ATGs require consistency. Needs to replicate current white ball form for a couple more years and needs to get his average in tests above 50 at the very least 

Edited by ganeshran
28 minutes ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

I think he has a lot of potential, considering he doesn't play in a strong batting lineup he's been performing very well. I don't think we can yet say he's better than Root and definitely not KW. 

11 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

Lol oh bhai Babar is not even top 10 in test cricket. He has lots to prove in test cricket. Khelne de abhi :lol:

Its natural for me to be a bit too excited , when was the last time Pakistan had a batsman like him. Even our great batsmen had lower average in Australia, WI and SA, only Majid had the technique to play everyone, everywhere.  But I'm talking about Babar's  form over last couple of years and against all countries, he deserves that recognition. 

Edited by First class
Just now, First class said:

Its natural for me to be a bit too excited , when was the last time Pakistan had a batsman like him. But I'm talking about his form over last couple of years and against all countries, he deserves that recognition. 

He is a wonderful stroke player but let him play some significant innings before exalting him. 

22 minutes ago, First class said:

Its natural for me to be a bit too excited , when was the last time Pakistan had a batsman like him. Even our great batsmen had lower average in Australia, WI and SA, only Majid had the technique to play everyone, everywhere.  But I'm talking about Babar's  form over last couple of years and against all countries, he deserves that recognition. 

Its like how Indian fans used to get excited over Munaf Patel early on.  :p:

33 minutes ago, First class said:

If Majid is your benchmark then Babar is far better than Majid.

2 minutes ago, First class said:

Most of the posts here are from people who understand cricket well, but in between we have posts like yours. 

Mirchi zyaadi jali kya?  

Did you miss the smilie at the end there?  The thirst for batsmen instead of hitters in Pakistan is similar to the hunt for pace bowlers in India 10-12 years ago - that was the point.  Along with some targeted banter. Which clearly hit its mark nicely.  

On poor Babar Hajmola, he's the first decent batsman for Pakistan in 15 years.  First young guy I have seen who looks the part - proper technique, not a hack, has shown the ability to apply his skillset relatively consistently.  He's a unicorn amongst mutts.  Cherish him, pray that he fulfills his potential.  And try to find more like him.  

1 hour ago, putrevus said:

If Majid is your benchmark then Babar is far better than Majid.

Majid and Babar belong to far different era and hard to compare them. Majid also lacked consistency, his problem was lack of motivation against lesser oppositions on batting tracks. He would perform better in challenging conditions whether it was against Lillee and Thomo in Australia, against WI pace battery of 70s in West Indies or against them in World Cup SF in 1979 or against famous India spin trio . His average was not bloated by playing against easy opposition and Pakistan used to play test cricket with big gaps in between. Not on stats but on technical ground, Majid has been the best batsman Pakistan has ever produced yet. 

Edited by First class

A batsman with <40 avg: in test cricket can't be said of as an 'ATG in the making' . He is a great 'talent' .That's all. Has lot more to prove. Root & Kane 

averages 50+ in one each  of the 2 main  formats  &  slightly <50 in the other main format.Babar is still far behind them. So let us wait & see.  Kohli who averaged  75+ in AUS in his 2nd tour  could average a mere 40 in his next tour. Similarly Root who averaged a mammoth 90 in his first WI  abroad series could average a mere  29.5 in his next series. And who would have thought Smith could score  only 23,4,36,43 & 16 in his last 5 inns before which  he was  scoring 50s for fun.Any thing can happen.

15 minutes ago, rtmohanlal said:

A batsman with <40 avg: in test cricket can't be said of as an 'ATG in the making' . He is a great 'talent' .That's all. Has lot more to prove. Root & Kane 

averages 50+ in one each  of the 2 main  formats  &  slightly <50 in the other main format.Babar is still far behind them. So let us wait & see.  Kohli who averaged  75+ in AUS in his 2nd tour  could average a mere 40 in his next tour. Similarly Root who averaged a mammoth 90 in his first WI  abroad series could average a mere  29.5 in his next series. And who would have thought Smith could score  only 23,4,36,43 & 16 in his last 5 inns before which  he was  scoring 50s for fun.Any thing can happen.

Agree,  Babar could be an ATG Pakistani batsman in making, nothing beyond that . Let him make 25 test centuries and keep an average over 50 and only then we can start talking about AGT overall.