ODI team of the 1990's vs 2000s vs 2010's

Sooda

*Bit of a grey area around players whos careers straddled much/all of two decades , I went by stats for the most part (So SRT played a few more matches in the 90's than the 00's; Sangakarra i did not pick but though he played much lesser in the 2010's he peaked late)

Not blessed with great captaincy options too...

Anyway, who would win a tri series

1990's

Tendulkar, Anwar, Mark Waugh, Lara, De Silva, Klusener, Wasim (c) , Healy, Warne, Waqar, Saqlain

Based on pure skill, especially on the bowling front, awesome looking team- but will it be out muscled?

2000's

Gilchrist, Gibbs, Ponting (c) , Kallis, Yuvraj Singh, Hussey, Symonds, Pollock, Lee, Murali, McGrath

Best side of the three? ATG bowling including all rounders, , almost great batting- maybe not quite on par with the 10's side, dynamite fielding , and batting depth. Gilly just edges out MSD. Jayasuriya in for Gibbs?

2010's

Warner, Rohit (c), Virat, Root, De Villiers, Shakib, Buttler, Tahir, Starc, Malinga, Bumrah

Cheated a bit with Boom and Jos, given they emerged so late in the decade, but they've almost revolutionized death bowling and batting respectively, hard to ignore. Warner edges out Amla in particular and Dhawan and others , see him as a good foil for Rohit.  Malinga gets in on longevity by far most wickets this decade. Should over power the 90's side, but will be close vs the 00's one

Edited by Sooda

1990s .... though I would have a different team:

Tendulkar

Jayasuriya (mid to late 90s Jayasuriya was one of the most impactful players of AT)

Dean Jones

Lara (c)

Andy Flower (wk)

Bevan

Klusener

Wasim

Warne

2 from Ambrose/Donald/Waqar/Saqlain 

Edited by zen
1 hour ago, zen said:

Tendulkar

Jayasuriya (mid to late 90s Jayasuriya was one of the most impactful players of AT)

Dean Jones

Lara (c)

Andy Flower (wk)

Bevan

Klusener

Wasim

Warne

I was wondering where Jayasuriya needed to be: average of 28 in 195 matches in the 90's and average of 35 in 246 matches in the 00's...

Dean Jones is a good call, but was his best days in the 80's?

Andy Flower i thought about (and Alec Stewart) but with either of them coming low in the lineup, I thought may as well go for a pure keeper. 

1 hour ago, kohli said:

2010 -19 team 

rohit 

warner 

kohli 

root 

devilires 

stokes 

buttler

strac

Malinga

tahir

bumrah

My side is missing Stokes, in hindsight i think i should get him in for Root. I think Shakib Ul Hasan should be there

1 hour ago, kohli said:

2000 -09 team 

gilly 

g smith 

ponting 

Yuvraj 

symonds 

dhoni 

Flintoff 

lee 

bond 

murli 

mcgrath 

Gibbs better than Smith in ODIS? Also Pollock > Flintoff as a bowler  so went for him. Who do you think will keep ? 

2 hours ago, kohli said:

1990 -99 team 

sachin 

mark Waugh 

lara 

de Silva 

Andy Flower (wk)

bevan 

klusner  

wasim 

warne 

donald 

waqar 

Good side; i thought about Flower and Stewart, went for a pure keeper in the end

3 hours ago, Sooda said:

2000's

Gilchrist, Gibbs, Ponting (c) , Kallis, Yuvraj Singh, Hussey, Symonds, Pollock, Lee, Murali, McGrath

Best side of the three? ATG bowling including all rounders, , almost great batting- maybe not quite on par with the 10's side, dynamite fielding , and batting depth. Gilly just edges out MSD. Jayasuriya in for Gibbs?

2010's

Warner, Rohit (c), Virat, Root, De Villiers, Shakib, Buttler, Tahir, Starc, Malinga, Bumrah

Cheated a bit with Boom and Jos, given they emerged so late in the decade, but they've almost revolutionized death bowling and batting respectively, hard to ignore. Warner edges out Amla in particular and Dhawan and others , see him as a good foil for Rohit.  Malinga gets in on longevity by far most wickets this decade. Should over power the 90's side, but will be close vs the 00's one

will be between them ......ill go with 2000s . 

Gibbs , ponting, yuvi, symonds, hussy, murali, lee......they will with that fielding only 

Root in 2010 ...really ??? Take stokes ahead of him or anyone else who can bowl.....u cant go with just 5 bowlers 

Edited by Ankit_sharma03
37 minutes ago, Sooda said:

I was wondering where Jayasuriya needed to be: average of 28 in 195 matches in the 90's and average of 35 in 246 matches in the 00's...

Dean Jones is a good call, but was his best days in the 80's?

Andy Flower i thought about (and Alec Stewart) but with either of them coming low in the lineup, I thought may as well go for a pure keeper. 

Jayasuriya is more than his avg. 96-99, he was probably the most valuable ODI batsman 

Dean was better in 80s but since this is a hypothetical line up, we can assume him to be at his best too

Flower is one of the best batsman of his generation. And since he kept regularly too (and a good keeper as well), he is a great choice

4 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

will be between them ......ill go with 2000s . 

Gibbs , ponting, yuvi, symonds, hussy, murali, lee......they will with that fielding only 

Root in 2010 ...really ??? Take stokes ahead of him or anyone else who can bowl.....u cant go with just 5 bowlers 

Yes in hindsight maybe Stokes for Root, though Root can chip in a few overs as 6th bowler . He does have 50+ batting average, and the tail doesn't bat much so bit of middle order depth

On 12/21/2019 at 9:44 AM, Sooda said:

*Bit of a grey area around players whos careers straddled much/all of two decades , I went by stats for the most part (So SRT played a few more matches in the 90's than the 00's; Sangakarra i did not pick but though he played much lesser in the 2010's he peaked late)

Not blessed with great captaincy options too...

Anyway, who would win a tri series

1990's

Tendulkar, Anwar, Mark Waugh, Lara, De Silva, Klusener, Wasim (c) , Healy, Warne, Waqar, Saqlain

Based on pure skill, especially on the bowling front, awesome looking team- but will it be out muscled?

2000's

2010's

Solid looking teams but for 2010, I would drop root for Stokes. Gives more bowling options, also having ample proper batting options. 

On 12/21/2019 at 10:10 AM, zen said:

Tendulkar

Dean Jones

Lara (c)

Andy Flower (wk)

Bevan

Klusener

Wasim

Warne

Expanding on the above- I saw Dean Jones bat in NZ where he was phenomenal. At his best, he was as good as anyone except for may be Richards at his best 

Another player who can come in is Martin Crowe, based on his performance as a batsman and captain in 92 WC. If Crowe comes in at #3, he would be the captain 

A bowling attack of Wasim, Ambrose, Donald, and Warne is probably the most lethal here. In batting, you have Bevan and Klusener (the 99 version) coming down once you get past Tendulkar, Jayasuriya (96-99 version), Jones/Crowe, and Lara 

Revised

2010s

David Warner, Rohit Sharma, Virat Kohli, AB De Villiers, Shakib Al Hasan, Ben Stokes, Jos Buttler, Mitchell Starc, Lasith Malinga, Imran Tahir, Jasprit Bumrah

2000s
Herschelle Gibbs, Sanath Jayasuriya, Ricky Ponting, Yuvraj Singh, Micheal Hussey, MS Dhoni, Andrew Flintnoff, Shaun Pollock, Brett Lee, Glenn McGrath, Muralitharan

1990s
Sachin Tendulkar, Saeed Anwar, Mark Waugh, Brian Lara, Aravinda De Silva, Lance Klusener, Wasim Akram, Ian Healy, Shane Warne, Waqar Younis, Curtly Ambrose

9 minutes ago, Sooda said:

Revised

2010s

David Warner, Rohit Sharma, Virat Kohli, AB De Villiers, Shakib Al Hasan, Ben Stokes, Jos Buttler, Mitchell Starc, Lasith Malinga, Imran Tahir, Jasprit Bumrah

• Very very strong
  • That bowling in death is a nightmare n so is top 4
  • Excellent all rounders 

2000s
Herschelle Gibbs, Sanath Jayasuriya, Ricky Ponting, Yuvraj Singh, Micheal Hussey, MS Dhoni, Andrew Flintnoff, Shaun Pollock, Brett Lee, Glenn McGrath, Muralitharan

• what a fielding unit ...can turn games on fielding only
  • Pollock, mcgrath n murali will strangle them 
  • yuvi, hussey, dhoni, flintoff, pollock, lee- very good middle n lower order 

Edited by Ankit_sharma03
1 hour ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:
  • Very very strong
  • That bowling in death is a nightmare n so is top 4
  • Excellent all rounders 
  • what a fielding unit ...can turn games on fielding only
  • Pollock, mcgrath n murali will strangle them 
  • yuvi, hussey, dhoni, flintoff, pollock, lee- very good middle n lower order 

yes x 2... 2010's pacemen bowling yorkers at will will be impossible to score against.

My first draft of the 2000s team had guys like Symonds (thought Flintoff would be a better option, more bowling teeth) and Kallis (thought he'd be slow SR by modern standards)... the fielding could be even better. Do think that 2000s side is the best one. 

Tough one to call, the 1990s team has a great attack too. Both the other sides will struggle vs W's , Ambrose and Warne

1 minute ago, Sooda said:

yes x 2... 2010's pacemen bowling yorkers at will will be impossible to score against.

My first draft of the 2000s team had guys like Symonds (thought Flintoff would be a better option, more bowling teeth) and Kallis (thought he'd be slow SR by modern standards)... the fielding could be even better. Do think that 2000s side is the best one. 

Tough one to call, the 1990s team has a great attack too. Both the other sides will struggle vs W's , Ambrose and Warne

actually symonds is a very very good options and shud be tried to fit in some how may be in place of of one yuvi, hussey or dhoni by making gilly keep 

Even Starc n bumrah wud be a nightmare for gibbs n gayle 

On 12/23/2019 at 11:26 AM, zen said:

Expanding on the above- I saw Dean Jones bat in NZ where he was phenomenal. At his best, he was as good as anyone except for may be Richards at his best 

Another player who can come in is Martin Crowe, based on his performance as a batsman and captain in 92 WC. If Crowe comes in at #3, he would be the captain 

A bowling attack of Wasim, Ambrose, Donald, and Warne is probably the most lethal here. In batting, you have Bevan and Klusener (the 99 version) coming down once you get past Tendulkar, Jayasuriya (96-99 version), Jones/Crowe, and Lara 

Youre right about the 90's attack.

Sanath goes in to my 2000s team , As much as he emerged in the 90's and revoltionised the role of the opener he played a lot more in the 00's. Its a grey area of course, you could argue when they were at their most influential should be when they feature

I thought that Jones and Crowe best days were in the 80's. By the 90's would you say that the likes of De Silva was better; and I didnt think Flower was suited to middle or lower order so went with a pure wk...

Obviously that gets us thinking about an 80's side

Greenidge, Haynes, Jones, Richards, Abbas, Kapil, Du Jon, Hadlee, Marshall, Garner, Qadir

Guys like Crowe, Miandad left out

Edited by Sooda

Also we need to determine under what rules these games would be played.

Apart from tests where the rules have stood the test of time apart from a few minor upgrades, ODis will not be very easy to measure.

take example of Dhoni- his biggest success came under the older rules where he could rotate the strike with fielders on the boundary in the middle overs, get his eye in and then smash it around but once the captains were forced to brining attacking fields in the middle overs he struggled to rotate strike. At the same time these new rules helped some other players as well.

Effectiveness of the spinners due to the new ball rule and reverse swing for the most part have been made redundant.

Mark Waugh has 18 Odi 100s,Lara has 19 where as Babar Azam has already 11 Odi  100s and Shai hope already has 8. 

90s

Sachin

Anwar

Jayasuriya

A De Silva

Lara

Bevan

Gilchrist (wk)
Akram (c)

Warne

Saqlain

Donald

Jayasuriya and Sachin to finish final quota of 10

00s

Sachin

Gilchrist (wk)

Ponting (c)

Dravid

Yuvraj

Symonds

Afridi

Flintoff

Lee

Murali

McGrath

I think it's sad that we forget that Dravid circa 2002-2003 was arguably the best batsmen in the world in both formats

Symonds/Afridi's excellent all-round contributions are often forgotten due to their subsequent exploits- but at the time they were exciting/effective as hell

Flintoff again was a star, his legacy has been ruined by his captaincy of horrible ashes tour to Australia in 2007

2010s

Dhawan

S Watson

Kohli (c)

Williamson 

ABDV (wk)

Stokes

Buttler

Shakib

Starc

Boult

Malinga