vvvslaxman

Year 2019 Review

World Cup was the only thing that mattered this year tbh. So, for a dominating team like India missing an opportunity to win that will always remain the abiding memory of the team. However, 2019 was the year of Rohit the batsman and Shami the bowler. Rohit specifically is now a legend of the game. May he continue his form in 2020. 

Win in Aus was a sweet beginning to the year .Virat was prolific but once again disappointed and missed a golden opportunity to fortify his name as the undisputed greatest ODI player to have played the game. He has huge monkey to get off his back.

Edited by SK_IH

5 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

World Cup was the only thing that mattered this year tbh. So, for a dominating team like India missing an opportunity to win that will always remain the abiding memory of the team. However, 2019 was the year of Rohit the batsman and Shami the bowler. Rohit specifically is now a legend of the game. May he continue his form in 2020. 

Win in Aus was a sweet beginning to the year but Virat was prolific but once again disappointed and missed a golden opportunity to fortify his name as the undisputed greatest ODI player to have played the game. He has huge monkey to get off his back.

I agree for most parts .... positives for me were the test series win in Aus .... and MI win in IPL 

As for performances: Pujara in Aus is easily one of the ATG  performances for India esp. in an overseas series win. Other memorable performances being Gavaskar in WI and Sehwag in Pak :hatsoff:

2019 has been execellent year.Rohit  and Kohli have carried this unbalanced odi Indian team on broad their shoulders.It is their sheer greatness that is making this team competitive in odis.It would have been a miracle if India won world cup with this team after Dhawan's injury.

Today's match showed why this team will go as far they take them.It is not their fault this team does not have any talented batsmen in middle order.

6 minutes ago, zen said:

I agree for most parts .... positives for me were the test series win in Aus .... and MI win in IPL 

As for performances: Pujara in Aus is easily one of the ATG  performances for India esp. in an overseas series win. Other memorable performances being Gavaskar in WI and Sehwag in Pak :hatsoff:

Yup forget Pujara. That was an ATG effort by Che, easily one of the best from India as you said. 3 centuries overseas in a winning effort against top bowlers, Che did himself justice as well, a great test batsman deserved to get rid of that irritating HTB tag 

In a WC year, not winning the Cup overshadows everything else. But that loss has been masterfully swept under the carpet as if the WC never happened. No scrutiny of the captain and coach was done.

Rest of the year was about bashing some average teams (Aus without Smith and Warner, SA in  a rebuilding phase, some useless wins vs WI and BD, two bottom ranked teams) and lots of stat padding. Team has hardly moved forward, no young player has come through. Youngsters who were shining stars in 2018 are struggling - KulVha, Pant, Vihari, Shaw. Gill continues to wait. Bumrah is under injury cloud

In fact the year ends with more questions than answers.

Real action was outside the field with Dada as BCCI head. Hoping to see some good changes in the way Indian cricket is being run.

1 minute ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

In a WC year, not winning the Cup overshadows everything else. But that loss has been masterfully swept under the carpet as if the WC never happened. No scrutiny of the captain and coach was done.

Rest of the year was about bashing some average teams (Aus without Smith and Warner, SA in  a rebuilding phase, some useless wins vs WI and BD, two bottom ranked teams) and lots of stat padding. Team has hardly moved forward, no young player has come through. Youngsters who were shining stars in 2018 are struggling - KulVha, Pant, Vihari, Shaw. Gill continues to wait. Bumrah is under injury cloud

In fact the year ends with more questions than answers.

Real action was outside the field with Dada as BCCI head. Hoping to see some good changes in the way Indian cricket is being run.

Problem is bCCI selection also have issues. Carrying guys like Karthik, Jadhav, rookie Pant instead of proper batsmen like Agarwal, Gill. Promoting Rayudu for 2 years and dropping him at the last minute. Replacing him with a journey man like Shankar. India completely f***ed this up.  Worst thing we still carry that Jadhav in the side. 

BATTING THIS YEAR

In Tests

Agarwal, Rahane, Pujara, Kohli, Rohit, Vihari Jadeja all reasonably success stories with bat

In ODIs

Would you believe it Dhoni has the highest average for us in 2019 :cantstop:  Averaging 60

Rohit, Rahul, Kohli, decent year.

Dhawan 18 innings 583 runs 36.43 avge 2 fifties 2 centuries. 

8 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

Problem is bCCI selection also have issues. Carrying guys like Karthik, Jadhav, rookie Pant instead of proper batsmen like Agarwal, Gill. Promoting Rayudu for 2 years and dropping him at the last minute. Replacing him with a journey man like Shankar. India completely f***ed this up.  Worst thing we still carry that Jadhav in the side. 

Exactly what I meant by scrutiny of WC loss. Instead what we got to hear from captain and coach was how great this side was with Shastri even claiming to be in same league as WI of 80s and Aus of 2000s. With that level of arrogance, expecting any improvements is a pipe dream.

Dada as BCCI Head is the only real hope of restoring sanity and professionalism in our cricket team which has now become a cosy club of friends.

Most enjoyable aspect of this year was Rohit Sharma's test form.

Hopefully he goes one better and preforms in the NZ tests early next year so that he truly cements himself as truly great player across formats.

In last 3 years across formats he has scored 25 100's which is quite a performance (Also has not been a regular in test format so this is quite a feat). Only Kohli has more with 29 100's.

Out all of the Indian Batsmen currently definitely the most entertaining when in full flow.

9 minutes ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

"Apart from 30 minutes in the WC, this has been a great year for us" Kohli in the post match press conference.

Make that 60 minutes Virat, will ensure 2017 CT final loss also gets whitewashed :clap:

thats what champions team do they prepare for worst situtation

We prep 3 batsman for worse situation who usually choke up in such situation. In such situation mostly middle order will hve to do the job which was taken without prep

Disappointing year though it started off well, SCG test and history created. We got smashed by Aussies at home in both white ball formats and then a successful NZ tour. WC SF was brutal, after that easy schedule for rest of the year. RSA demolition job was pleasing esp the 1st test, Saha's keeping :flame:, WI made us sweat...all in all in a few year's time we'll only remember the SF upset since both test wins in Aus happened in 2018. 

Edited by Gollum

19 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

How could they promote Gill when he came on scene late and he is not a middle order player.Jadhav deserved his place in the team.He did not do anything wrong .Jadhav still deserves to be in the team, do we have any no 6 who can role his arm and score at 100 SR and avg 42.

The only mistake they did was take Karthik instead of Iyer. Karthik should have never been part of the world cup squad.Dhawan got hurt too people tend to forget that fact.If Dhawan was there who know with his big match ability he would have made difference.With Dhawan went 1/3 of Indian batting.

How did England look when Jason Roy got hurt.

Edited by putrevus

3 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

Well not the first it has happened for us. WC 1996, WC 1987, WC 2003. .. they are still better than WC 2007. 

shudnt be compared

2003 n 2007....every team was in real competing to come 2nd to supreme australia

in 1996 we were good in home condition but home advantage wud also mean for pakistan n sri lanka. That team had many issues

This time we were fav with england and every team had some issue or other

30 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

shudnt be compared

2003 n 2007....every team was in real competing to come 2nd to supreme australia

in 1996 we were good in home condition but home advantage wud also mean for pakistan n sri lanka. That team had many issues

This time we were fav with england and every team had some issue or other

Actually prior to world cup everyone predicted England to win. They won. They were the favorites. They won. NO big deal. On those flat decks where spinners could be negated easily we were handicapped with a top heavy side. At best we could have been the finalists. 

10 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

Actually prior to world cup everyone predicted England to win. They won. They were the favorites. They won. NO big deal. On those flat decks where spinners could be negated easily we were handicapped with a top heavy side. At best we could have been the finalists. 

yes eng were fav but we were not considered far behind

It was england who lost to sri lanka n pak in round robin.....we lost just to england

Yes england no doubt was a better build team then us but in final anything can happen on the day as pak showed that in CT final . To be honest NZ wud have won or tied if not for stupid rules like overthrow from bat or super over outcome . Nz had far more issues then us 

18 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

yes eng were fav but we were not considered far behind

It was england who lost to sri lanka n pak in round robin.....we lost just to england

Yes england no doubt was a better build team then us but in final anything can happen on the day as pak showed that in CT final . To be honest NZ wud have won or tied if not for stupid rules like overthrow from bat or super over outcome . Nz had far more issues then us 

We were always worried about this one weakness which is top order collapse. Even before CT 2017 final Pakistanis prayers were more towards getting top 3 out miraculously early. That was all needed to beat India. That is still the case. Get top 3. Things had to go in a specific way for us to win matches on the trot. It did go upto a point. Our team was not prepared for uncharacteristic situations. Highly undercooked middle order. Even today if India plays in a semi final while chasing, if the top 3 goes we will lose. We are still in that situation. Iyer definitely is an addition. But he alone is not enough.

51 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

We were always worried about this one weakness which is top order collapse. Even before CT 2017 final Pakistanis prayers were more towards getting top 3 out miraculously early. That was all needed to beat India. That is still the case. Get top 3. Things had to go in a specific way for us to win matches on the trot. It did go upto a point. Our team was not prepared for uncharacteristic situations. Highly undercooked middle order. Even today if India plays in a semi final while chasing, if the top 3 goes we will lose. We are still in that situation. Iyer definitely is an addition. But he alone is not enough.

You cannot term it that way,every side put their best players at top

Problem is our top 3 our big time chokers,one of them was needed to carry his bat that day and we would have cruised to the final,but the tendency to bottle up by our finest batsmen in crucial moments have been our Achilles heel in recent times,we were 5/3 ,it has become a norm ,you can sum it up as choker top 3

On 12/22/2019 at 12:09 PM, zen said:

Both were the results of advice :)

On 12/22/2019 at 12:50 PM, vvvslaxman said:

BATTING THIS YEAR

In Tests

Agarwal, Rahane, Pujara, Kohli, Rohit, Vihari Jadeja all reasonably success stories with bat

In ODIs

Would you believe it Dhoni has the highest average for us in 2019 :cantstop:  Averaging 60

Rohit, Rahul, Kohli, decent year.

Dhawan 18 innings 583 runs 36.43 avge 2 fifties 2 centuries. 

It included brilliant  innings such as the notout vs England in wc 

On 12/22/2019 at 4:59 PM, SK_IH said:

Win in Aus was a sweet beginning to the year .Virat was prolific but once again disappointed and missed a golden opportunity to fortify his name as the undisputed greatest ODI player to have played the game. He has huge monkey to get off his back.

I'd argue given India's previous and recent success in international LO tournaments and the fact that they never won a test series in Australia before, the thing that mattered most was winning test series in Australia. I'm sure most purists would agreed. 

6 minutes ago, mancalledsting said:

I'd argue given India's previous and recent success in international LO tournaments and the fact that they never won a test series in Australia before, the thing that mattered most was winning test series in Australia. I'm sure most purists would agreed. 

India won the test series in England in early 80s but it was the wc win that changed the course of not just Indian cricket but world cricket.

We won in England and WI  in 2007 and for the first time in history won a test in SA but once again it was a WT20 that changed the face of cricket.

Look I am not one of those sour puss who is going to water down the achievement of the Aus series win that it didn’t have their best batsmen because I know weaker Aus teams have dominated stronger teams at home.

The high of the Aus series is directly equal to the low of the WC loss, you can’t use it as a measure to mask other failures.

Edited by maniac

40 minutes ago, maniac said:

India won the test series in England in early 80s but it was the wc win that changed the course of not just Indian cricket but world cricket.

We won in England and WI  in 2007 and for the first time in history won a test in SA but once again it was a WT20 that changed the face of cricket.

Look I am not one of those sour puss who is going to water down the achievement of the Aus series win that it didn’t have their best batsmen because I know weaker Aus teams have dominated stronger teams at home.

The high of the Aus series is directly equal to the low of the WC loss, you can’t use it as a measure to mask other failures.

for Indian cricket history, given its previous achievements, it mattered more to win in Australia 2019 than win the WC2019. Do you disagree with this point?

World cup was the biggest disappointment.Even today if top three fail India is not going anywhere, CT 2017 and world cup 2015 semis were almost impossible to win after those huge first innings scores.

Kohli has to understand why teams always bat first when winning the toss in big games in future matches.

7 minutes ago, mancalledsting said:

for Indian cricket history, given its previous achievements, it mattered more to win in Australia 2019 than win the WC2019. Do you disagree with this point?

I agree Aus win was special but not enough to overshadow the WC disappointment. Wc loss hurts because it was there for the taking.

Obviously: high of the year- Aus win

Low of the year: wc loss

3 minutes ago, maniac said:

I agree Aus win was special but not enough to overshadow the WC disappointment. Wc loss hurts because it was there for the taking.

Obviously: high of the year- Aus win

Low of the year: wc loss

I'm not talking about overshadowing- that's a different discussion. Just what was the single biggest potential achievement? This is a very specific response to statements like "WC was only thing that mattered this year". 

1 hour ago, mancalledsting said:

Who the hell are purists? I know only cricket fans. 

11 hours ago, Suhaan said:

You cannot term it that way,every side put their best players at top

Problem is our top 3 our big time chokers,one of them was needed to carry his bat that day and we would have cruised to the final,but the tendency to bottle up by our finest batsmen in crucial moments have been our Achilles heel in recent times,we were 5/3 ,it has become a norm ,you can sum it up as choker top 3

Nothing. If India bats first in knock outs INdia will win. As simple as that. Chasing in world cup matches is very hard even against ordinary teams.

2 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

Nothing. If India bats first in knock outs INdia will win. As simple as that. Chasing in world cup matches is very hard even against ordinary teams.

Maybe partially true,but i have full faith on these 3 , specially Kohli ,he will choke batting first too and as master of chases he should have done that,that day

Edited by Suhaan

12 hours ago, putrevus said:

Yes, Australian series is far more important in terms of cricketing acheivement.

LOL in a WC year, NOTHING else counts more than the WC. You may try to spin it the way you want to.

Also, Australia's performance since Warner-Smith's return has shown the true worth of that series win by us. However, you (and the TM) can go on and on about how great the win was and how that win makes this team at par with WI of 80s and Aus of 2000s. 

BCCI Head Ganguly bursts the bubble of the Aus series win

They beat Australia in 2018. But I will still expect to win in South Africa and England," Ganguly told India Today. "And I think, they are going back to Australia next year. That's going to be a bigger challenge and I am sure with the standards that Virat [Kohli] sets for himself and the others, he will know at the back of his mind that the 2018 Australia team was not the best Australian team of this generation. And what he is going to face next year, which is not very far away, is going to be a different Australia."

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/28382491/full-strength-australia-2020-21-bigger-challenge-india-sourav-ganguly

Well done Dada for the honest plain speak. Hope this drills some sense into our bombastic coach and captain

Edited by ShoonyaSifar