Sign in to follow this  
velu

Indore !!!

3 hours ago, Gollum said:

Indore->2nd best street food in India

I've heard this from quite a few folks, how true is it.  

3 hours ago, Gollum said:

behind Kolkata esp veg:eating:

"behind Kolkata" - ok, gtfo.  East or West, Bombay is the best.

"behind Kolkata" - ok, gtfo.  East or West, Bombay is the best.

That's it, you Bombay/Mumbai (choose one name damn it) folks are out of order, first @Mariyam and then you. Kolkattans assemble, these Vada Pav, Misal Pav munchers want war, let us give them war. 

giphy.gif

Opening salvo: best puchka in the world

Phuchka, Kolkata Street Food

Resign or suffer you evil bambis :whack:

Edited by Gollum

5 hours ago, velu said:

91.2% of the spam/scam calls orginate from here :lol:

Almost all fake stock mkt recommendation calls I receive are from Indore 

Nope.

5 hours ago, Gollum said:

Indore->2nd best street food in India behind Kolkata esp veg:eating:

Not even close, Indore > daylight > tubelight > headlight > anywhere else in the world :partyall:

16 hours ago, Gollum said:

Kathi roll>>>>whatever cucumber sandwich you get in what's that place you call. 

Kolkata:whack2:Bambipav

*cough cough*

Khau Galli is a place and not a dish!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzgCMozYOjg

This however is a pointless exercise. I haven't had street food in Kolkata and I'm guessing you haven't had any in Mumbai.

We need an arbiter who has tasted street food in both the places. :sherlock:

Edited by Mariyam

@Gollum

This is not a critique of Kolkata street food, but Bengali food in general.

I am not a fan of an overdose of mustard. And putting pieces of boiled potatoes in Biriyani.

Many people love that stuff though.

I've eaten at Arsalan in Kolkata wasn't very impressed.

Infact the marquee Bong food places in Mumbai: Oh Calcutta! and Mustard cater more to my tastes than the Bong food I had in Kolkata.

Edited by Mariyam

Street food is highly subjective, one cannot claim to be #1 is street food. It's based on individual taste. Funny how you guys are comparing individual tastes and deriding each others' cities. All those kolkata street food videos don't prove it is the best. Makes a good viewing, for an ex-non-vegetarian, it can make me fall off the wagon. Not a fan of potato, so can't be a judge of tastes.

One bong dish made of white til (sesame) was exquisite, can't figure out the name. If you are into south india veg street food, goto eat street in vishweshpuram or even Holige mane in Malleswaram, in Bengaluru or try out Bangarpete pani-puri. Nothing in any part of India tastes similar to the pani (clear as water, made mainly from boiling green chillies, ginger, lime, cumin seeds, menthya, salt). 

Edited by coffee_rules

WB produces best singers, music directors...we can give you that...but best food, street food? Not even close...it's North India all the way....come to think of the music part also, North India is also marvellous here also...infact the whole of India it great when is comes to music...

Edited by randomGuy

6 minutes ago, randomGuy said:

WB produces best singers, music directors...we can give you that...but best food, street food? Not even close...it's North India all the way....come to think of the music part also, North India is also marvellous here also...infact the whole of India is great when is comes to music...

music directors and singers from WB :whack3:

Best music directors are from :csk:

n best singers are from :hs:

11 minutes ago, randomGuy said:

WB produces best singers, music directors...we can give you that...but best food, street food? Not even close...it's North India all the way....come to think of the music part also, North India is also marvellous here also...infact the whole of India is great when is comes to music...

India is not parts of North india and West Bengal

35 minutes ago, velu said:

music directors and singers from WB :whack3:

Best music directors are from :csk:

n best singers are from :hs:

It's like Singing is in WB soil ...I need not name but it has given too many greats...

North India has energy passion josh in abundance in music just as in life in general.....many local artists can be mentioned here which rest of India won't be aware.

Edited by randomGuy

24 minutes ago, randomGuy said:

It's like Singing is in WB soil ...I need not name but it is given too many greats...

North India has energy passion josh in abundance in music just as in life in general.....many local artists can be mentioned here which rest of India won't be aware.

we call them as ghana artists .. there are plenty , few got chances in movies as well but nobody made a mark in recent years

i think only punjabi music industry is independent ..like how  hindi pop got swallowed by bollywood , these people cant produce big budget albums successfully 

4 minutes ago, velu said:

we call them as ghana artists .. there are plenty , few got chances in movies as well but nobody made a mark in recent years

i think only punjabi music industry is independent ..like how  hindi pop got swallowed by bollywood , these people cant produce big budget albums successfully 

Punjabi of course...some recent haryanvi songs also crossing 400 million views on YouTube ...100 million is probably  in reach of many artists I guess...

I also mean the opened up voice (khuli hui awaz) which is typical of North India which we don't find as readily in RoI but there are very good singers all over India as I said..

For ex. Take Sherry mann(there are quite a few to choose from guru randhawa etc. Etc.)...take any song or take 'hostel Wala kamra' song to sample what I mean by khuli hui awaz...

In my experience, what Kolkata street food are really leagues and leagues ahead of Mumbai or Delhi, is in Chinese street food. We set the standards much higher than rest of India due to the Hakka community in Kolkata.

And to be fair, phuchka is the same everywhere. Mumbai phuchka has more chaat masala in the potato, Kolkata phuchka has more amchur in the water.

but if you want any other type of street food; especially those monstrosities of boiled grated egg deep fried in ghee with crap ton of masalas, topped with a fried egg served on a egg basted bhatura, Delhi and Mumbai are way better 

I am a true blue Mumbai native. Even then I can stick my neck out and say Delhi street food is the best in India.

Mumbai street food = Vada Pav, Fusion Masala dosa varities, Dabeli, Toast/Grilled Sandwiches, Egg Bhurji Stalls. Period.

South has much better road side Masala dosas,  Kutchhi Dabeli is better in Amdavad/Gujarat and Egg Bhurji is WAYY better in Surat.

That leaves Mumbai with Vada Pav and Grilled/Toast sandwich. These 2 Mumbai items are undoubtedly incomparable.

I am not including Pav Bhaji since it is no longer a road side speciality and restaurants like Sardar and Shiv Sagar have the best Pav Bhaji.

Delhi Street Food has WAYYY more variety, wayy more flavor.

15 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

We see your street food and raise waaayyy better rasmalai and Jalebis. :lollypop::eviltongue:

This I can agree on. Bengali sweets are the best that our country has to offer.

Shondesh

Cham Cham

*daylight*

Dharwad peda

Kala jamun

Jalebi

*daylight*

the rest

And playback singers too.

Kumar Sanu>Kishore Kumar>Udit Narayan>Mohd Rafi> Sonu Nigam> rest

15 hours ago, rangeelaraja said:

I am a true blue Mumbai native. Even then I can stick my neck out and say Delhi street food is the best in India.

Mumbai street food = Vada Pav, Fusion Masala dosa varities, Dabeli, Toast/Grilled Sandwiches, Egg Bhurji Stalls. Period.

South has much better road side Masala dosas,  Kutchhi Dabeli is better in Amdavad/Gujarat and Egg Bhurji is WAYY better in Surat.

That leaves Mumbai with Vada Pav and Grilled/Toast sandwich. These 2 Mumbai items are undoubtedly incomparable.

I am not including Pav Bhaji since it is no longer a road side speciality and restaurants like Sardar and Shiv Sagar have the best Pav Bhaji.

Delhi Street Food has WAYYY more variety, wayy more flavor.

Sardar is essentially pav bhaji lite with a lot of butter. No longer the place it used to be.

Swati Snacks & Soam are the new torchbearers for Gujarati fast food. 

And ofcourse there is Shiv Sagar, like you mentioned.

29 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

This I can agree on. Bengali sweets are the best that our country has to offer.

Shondesh

Cham Cham

*daylight*

Dharwad peda

Kala jamun

Jalebi

*daylight*

the rest

And playback singers too.

Kumar Sanu>Kishore Kumar>Udit Narayan>Mohd Rafi> Sonu Nigam> rest

Kumar Sanu number one...rest you are very intelligent, so one wouldn't like tocontest..but Kumar Sanu number 1...glad I have some icf regular who shares this opinion.

9 minutes ago, Stradlater said:

Dilli wipes the floor with your stupid Bengali/Bambaiya trash when it comes to food. 

Let me take the master debater on. Dilly is about chaat, panipuri , kababs and lassis. Show me one dish like kothu parrotta or a Bengalurian Masala Puri. South Indian street food beats all. There are gaadis selling 100 types of dosas. Just like Indo chinese, we take the originals and morph it to something better. Momos in Bangalore is so different and better than what you get elsewhere.

48 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

You mean Kumar Nasu? Yes, he is #1 nasal singer

Whatever it is bro, if there is anything in music which gives ear-gasms it is Sanu da's voice. 

Him the male and Lata Didi (of black n white era) the female - the greatest ever IMHO.

Edited by randomGuy

52 minutes ago, Norman said:

How did a thread about "Indore spam calls" turn into street food and music ? :giggle:

This is Spam posts' thread.

Btw MP, of which Indore is a part gave us acharya rajneesh....so there has to be something special in the soil of MP...us mitti ko Naman jisne acharya rajneesh ko janma.

Edited by randomGuy

1 hour ago, Norman said:

How did a thread about "Indore spam calls" turn into street food and music ? :giggle:

The time when Mariyam, Gollum, Muloghonto, and Velu enter together in one thread, the thread will no longer will be relevant and will go all over the place. God knows how many threads these people have derailed at ICF :phehe:

21 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

In my experience, what Kolkata street food are really leagues and leagues ahead of Mumbai or Delhi, is in Chinese street food. We set the standards much higher than rest of India due to the Hakka community in Kolkata.

And to be fair, phuchka is the same everywhere. Mumbai phuchka has more chaat masala in the potato, Kolkata phuchka has more amchur in the water.

but if you want any other type of street food; especially those monstrosities of boiled grated egg deep fried in ghee with crap ton of masalas, topped with a fried egg served on a egg basted bhatura, Delhi and Mumbai are way better 

Truth! And I say this as a man who pretty much never agrees with mulo.

Kolkata's tangra is not what it was before since the Chinese have left, but this place leaves Mumbai and Delhi in dust. Delhi's street chinese is a joke. Even outside tangra, chinese street food in Kolkata towers above whatever delhi/mumbai offer.

Also, Ghughni over punjabi chhole anyday.

Speaking of Bengali sweets used to love Sondesh. It used to be by fav sweet ever and this coming from me who has a sweet tooth and loves pretty much any sweet, chocolate, icecream there is.

Now the keyword here is “used to”

Few years back my dad had to travel to Kolkata for his office work so I told him to bring me back sondesh.  

since the return from his trip coincided with my birthday, he brought me this huge packet of what was apparently a very expensive brand of Sondesh (bongs here can help me out with the brandname or type ) which apparently stays fresh only for 2 days max. 

He asked me to distribute it to my friends but I was like screw that. Firstly it was expensive and secondly it is Sondesh all to myself. 

So I finished the first sondesh than  2

more, the fricking thing was so filling, skipped lunch then had 2 more for dinner and skipped dinner.

By next day I was already sick of eating Sondesh :wall:   So decided to finally distribute it to my friends but it might have already been spoiling or it could have just been my body stopped accepting any more Sondesh. Couldn’t risk giving spoilt food to people so stuffed in a couple of more Sondesh and then flushed the rest down the toilet and lied to my parents I finished the whole packet.

Thats a true story that can go into a moral science text book for greed and gluttony :((

25 minutes ago, maniac said:

Speaking of Bengali sweets used to love Sondesh. It used to be by fav sweet ever and this coming from me who has a sweet tooth and loves pretty much any sweet, chocolate, icecream there is.

Now the keyword here is “used to”

Few years back my dad had to travel to Kolkata for his office work so I told him to bring me back sondesh.  

since the return from his trip coincided with my birthday, he brought me this huge packet of what was apparently a very expensive brand of Sondesh (bongs here can help me out with the brandname or type ) which apparently stays fresh only for 2 days max. 

He asked me to distribute it to my friends but I was like screw that. Firstly it was expensive and secondly it is Sondesh all to myself. 

So I finished the first sondesh than  2

more, the fricking thing was so filling, skipped lunch then had 2 more for dinner and skipped dinner.

By next day I was already sick of eating Sondesh :wall:   So decided to finally distribute it to my friends but it might have already been spoiling or it could have just been my body stopped accepting any more Sondesh. Couldn’t risk giving spoilt food to people so stuffed in a couple of more Sondesh and then flushed the rest down the toilet and lied to my parents I finished the whole packet.

Thats a true story that can go into a moral science text book for greed and gluttony :((

This is weird. Both you and Maryam rated Sondesh highly. In my experience, most bongs don’t like sondesh - to us, it’s too basic and it’s the McDonalds version of sweets. As for brand name, KC Das or Keshto Ghosh ? 

For us, those who like the texture of sondesh almost always prefers gujias .

as far as Bongs are concerned, our top sweets tend to be Komolabhog( super jalebi), rabri ( fried milk film), pithepuli ( Bengali crepes), rasmalai. Kids love soanpapri though most adults don’t like how messy it is.

rest of Indian sweets are ordinary compared to them except one: firni 

31 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

For us, those who like the texture of sondesh almost always prefers gujias .

as far as Bongs are concerned, our top sweets tend to be Komolabhog( super jalebi), rabri ( fried milk film), pithepuli ( Bengali crepes), rasmalai. Kids love soanpapri though most adults don’t like how messy it is.

rest of Indian sweets are ordinary compared to them except one: firni 

For someone reason Americans or westerners in general  seem to hate rasgullas. Not speaking about the not so popular bot @Rasgulla :giggle:

Anyways for some reason the texture and the spongy nature weirds them out.

Also another Indian item that we love and they seem to hate is the pan, the meetha pan not the more narcotic Baba Zarda Kashmiri  type

In fact pan was mentioned as one of the most disgusting things people eat in some radio show I heard once.

Without bias, the best sweets are Bengali sweets. 

Premium sweets in Toronto is the best sweet shop I have ever had in the world. Sondesh, oh my god, I had it 4 years back, man my life changed after that.

I missed out on that for first 28 years of life. Now I eat that once every two weeks