Amitabh Bachchan gets Dadasaheb Phalke Award

Deleted_User_1

Growing up, I was a HUGE fan of him. I watched almost all his movies when he was the "angry young man". I remember watching Sharaabi 8 times in the theater in a span of 90 days with the 8th ticket bought from a scalper! :giggle:

I do not think I can sit through 75-80% of his old movies now. However, it does not distract from the fact that he is best and the most versatile actor to come out of Indian cinema. He has done some good movies; I wish he did more as a young man. If he was in Hollywood, I think he would be spoken of in the same breath as De Niro, Pacino; may be more. His diction and voice is mesmerizing. No one is perfect and I am sure he has done or said something that offended others, but in my book, he is a true thespian with a baritone voice that is bar none!

Congratulations, Bachchan-ji!  :bow:

24 minutes ago, rangeelaraja said:

I am born in mid-80's .  Have watched all the classics of the 70's and 80's.

AB might have been great in the angry young man genre, but overall as an actor, he was NO MATCH for Rajesh Khanna.

See Namak Haram and Anand if you have not. Kaka completely overshadows AB.

No RK was a one trick pony, he acted the same in all movies. AB did action, drama, romantic, comedy roles, the one true star of Hindi films.. most versatile after Yusuf Bhai. Nobody else was called the one man industry in India. Even crap movies of his movies made more money than most movies of 80s. 

Edited by coffee_rules

42 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

No RK was a one trick pony, he acted the same in all movies. AB did action, drama, romantic, comedy roles, the one true star of Hindi films.. most versatile after Yusuf Bhai. Nobody else was called the one man industry in India. Even crap movies of his movies made more money than most movies of 80s. 

Overrated too. Yes he was great but for most bollywood folk acting begins and ends with yuchup kumar. Just like every legend ended up becoming a caricature later.

Amitabh has done more diverse roles and experiments in his last innings that there is not even a comparison.

53 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

No dude. Lets be honest AB was shyte in comic roles. He excelled in action and all his blockbusters were action.

In sad drama, romantic movies - AB was no match for Kaka - even AB will tell you that. 

DadaSaheb Phalke award loses all credibility when someone like Vinod Khanna gets it but the likes of Kader Khan, Anupam Kher and Amrish Puri don't 

14 hours ago, maniac said:

Overrated too. Yes he was great but for most bollywood folk acting begins and ends with yuchup kumar. Just like every legend ended up becoming a caricature later.

Amitabh has done more diverse roles and experiments in his last innings that there is not even a comparison.

No, Dilip Kumar was a much better, versatile and capable actor. Amitabh, for the most part is a good actor, but he lacked the nuances, and subtlety of Dilip. Amitabh did his large share of over acting, including the National award he received for Black, which was OTT for the most part. Amitabh lacked the natural style combined with method acting or Dilip Kumar. Dilip did tragic as well as comic roles, and introduced method acting to India. In an  era where everyone was more dramatic and theatrical in nature, Dilip Kumar acted in a more natural, realistic style. Amitabh didn't nearly have the range of Dilip Kumar. But, I wouldn't diminish Amitabh's achievements for that, he is probably the second best mainstream actor/star after Dilip Kumar in sheer acting prowess. 

I am not including secondary and supporting actors with character roles as they are a different bunch and clas all together.

On 12/31/2019 at 11:24 AM, Cricketics said:

Growing up in 90s, I did watch some of his old stuff but I need to watch more of his old movies of 80s or at least see some of them agian. Barring the common ones like Sholay, his other movies like Chupke Chupke are legendary. 

Watch Deewar, Shakti and Bemisaal. Those 3 I can still watch and enjoy today. But movies like Hum, Coolie, Naseeb, etc.? :puke:

Edited by Audiophile

2 hours ago, rangeelaraja said:

Anand and Namak Haram - Kaka COMPLETELY dominated AB

Abbey ghonchu, he was struggling to make a name for himself and Kaka was an established star. Stars have control on how much screen space is allocated to co-actors. You should know better how the star system works. AB made a name for himself in these two movies

Edited by coffee_rules

17 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Abbey ghonchu, he was struggling to make a name for himself and Kaka was an established star. Stars have control on how much screen space is allocated to co-actors. You should know better how the star system works. AB made a name for himself in these two movies

Abbey Gadhe...Have you seen Kaka's acting in Bawarchi ? Kaka is in a league of his own.

Even Jaya Bacchan will tell you AB is not in the same league as Kaka.

AB does overracting and is extremely hammy. Outside the angry young man genre, he is totally overrated. Seen enough of his overrated crap acting in Baghban, Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham, Mohabatein and that overacting ki dukaan in Black.

Edited by rangeelaraja

AB is part of the Bollywood culture where " stars" are considered better actors than actors who are a class apart.

Amrish Puri, Anupam Kher are two of the most talented and versatile actors leagues ahead of AB in terms of ability . - its just that they

did not have "hero" personalities or were not "heroes"

Ok , just confirmed that you have no clue about how the industry works. 20 years from now Aamir Khan, Salman Khan and SRK will covet the same award. I am a Dev Anand fan, but will never say he is much better than AB. You are pointing out crap movies of AB and comparing with kakas popular movies. Kaka was as bad as AB in Mohabbatein as he was in Mehbooba or AAP Ki Kasam

^ No. This has nothing to do with how the industry works. I have maintained in many posts on this thread that aside from the angry young man genre, AB was mediocre and very overrated/ overacting ki dukaan and NOT versatile as is being touted.  Please point out movies where this is disproved. 

Edited by rangeelaraja

17 minutes ago, rangeelaraja said:

^ No. This has nothing to do with how the industry works. I have maintained in many posts on this thread that aside from the angry young man genre, AB was mediocre and very overrated/ overacting ki dukaan and NOT versatile as is being touted.  Please point out movies where this is disproved. 

You don’t like his comedy bits in AAA, Satte pe Satta and Namak halal. Agnipath was good too, not as good as deewar, I liked Cheeni kum of his later ones. Agreed he has been hamming since 90s, there are glimpses like Bunty  Aur Babri there.

^ Ok it may be a matter of taste. But I have never enjoyed his  performance in comedy and developed great aversion to his "typical" AB hammy  acting.

I HATE the star culture in Bollywood that fakes star value for acting ability - where a piece of trash acting talent like Katrina Kaif will be viewed by her "hits" and box office collection.

In my personal opinion - I've not seen versatile acting talent like Amrish Puri in Bollywood. Villian, Comedy, Family/emotional drama - Amrish Puri bossed all of them. His screen presence, his voice, his expressions. Just something else.

7 hours ago, rangeelaraja said:

AB is part of the Bollywood culture where " stars" are considered better actors than actors who are a class apart.

Amrish Puri, Anupam Kher are two of the most talented and versatile actors leagues ahead of AB in terms of ability . - its just that they

Are you kidding, even both of them would disagree with that statement.AB is the most versatile actor in India.Rajesh Khanna could act but he could do only one type of role.DK was great but I would rate AB better as overall package.

He should have gotten this award long time back.Congrats Bachchan Saheb.You are a living legend.

Edited by putrevus

On 12/31/2019 at 12:03 PM, rangeelaraja said:

No dude. Lets be honest AB was shyte in comic roles. He excelled in action and all his blockbusters were action.

In sad drama, romantic movies - AB was no match for Kaka - even AB will tell you that. 

DadaSaheb Phalke award loses all credibility when someone like Vinod Khanna gets it but the likes of Kader Khan, Anupam Kher and Amrish Puri don't 

Yeah not sure what Vinod Khanna did to deserve it? A very average actor.

On 1/1/2020 at 8:12 PM, rangeelaraja said:

Unfortunately the actors you mention are the ones who came out the art film industry which had a presence in the 70s and 80s. Add Naseeruddin Shah, Smita Patil, Shabana Azmi, Farooq Sheikh and Deepti Naval to the list. Unfortunately, those types of films did not fit in the masalaa category to do well in our stupid box office.

Edited by Audiophile