Australian Open 2020

Real McCoy

I believe this should be a more open tournament considering recent events. Obviously Djokovic is the favorite. But Nadal is almost invincible as far as the new gen is concerned. Nadal can only be beaten by Djokovic it seems and to a lesser extent by Federer. I think Djokovic will end up as no.1 seed due to his performance last year. Federer has the toughest route to the final without even considering his age. He has to beat the younguns first which he seems to be failing more and more. Then he has to beat Nadal and Djokovic. I also believe Tsitsipas, Medvedev, Thiem and Zverev have a chance to be the first one out of the big 3 to lift the cup. They have to avoid Nadal though. From their perspective, the increasing toughness scale this tournament will be Federer, Djokovic and Nadal. I haven't even mentioned Wawrinka. Can't wait for the tournament to begin :dance:

Nadal can be beat by Djokovic and Federer on HCs, anybody else is highly unlikely considering his form the past 2 years. Djokovic, the younger and better HC player has a tougher job because of his sub-par record against Next Gen players, and his up and down form since last year. He would have a harder time defending his title. 

Federer has the toughest challenge, because of his age and HC competition, as well as Next Gen players finally being able to attack him, not to mention Nadal and Djokovic in SF/Final. 

2 hours ago, I6MTW said:

Nadal can be beat by Djokovic and Federer on HCs, anybody else is highly unlikely considering his form the past 2 years. Djokovic, the younger and better HC player has a tougher job because of his sub-par record against Next Gen players, and his up and down form since last year. He would have a harder time defending his title. 

Federer has the toughest challenge, because of his age and HC competition, as well as Next Gen players finally being able to attack him, not to mention Nadal and Djokovic in SF/Final. 

Did you just paraphrase my original post :laugh:

13 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

Did you just paraphrase my original post :laugh:

Well, sort of. You did forget to mention Djokovic's abysmal record against the Next Gen affecting his path to the title.

There's also the forest fires and the heat affecting Australia seriously, there's a chance that may affect the tournament. If it grows worse, there's a chance the tournament may be cancelled/postponed.

5 hours ago, I6MTW said:

Well, sort of. You did forget to mention Djokovic's abysmal record against the Next Gen affecting his path to the title.

There's also the forest fires and the heat affecting Australia seriously, there's a chance that may affect the tournament. If it grows worse, there's a chance the tournament may be cancelled/postponed.

I wouldn't call Djokovic's record as abysmal since he has a winning record against most except Tsitsipas who ties him. But he is vulnerable as of late. I did mention that this is the most open tournament of all in recent times. If at all, Federer is the most vulnerable against the next gen as he holds losing records against Theim and Zverev. Nadal is the matchup that is difficult for next gen.

I wouldn't pay much attention to forest fires. They happen all the time and its worse around Sydney. AO is in melbourne. They are playing a test match in Sydney with all the bush fire going on. So AO will resume as scheduled

Federer's form is abysmal in this tournament. He avoided two close escapes, matches which he should've lost to journeyman. Road ends against Djokovic I'm afraid, Federer doesn't have the age, form or mental strength to beat Nole in his fav slam on RLA. The matchup will most likely be DJ in 3 sets. Only person left in the draw that can beat Nole playing well is Wawrinka, and maybe Thiem.

What a win  for Thiem. Nadal tried to come back in the match hard and even equalized afterbeing down. 3-5 in the 4th set, but Thiem eventually was resilient under pressure in the tie break. Well done Dominic Thiem. His victory against Monfils in the pre-quarter finals (4th round) was sort of statement. 

Zverev is serving the best among the remaining four guys in the tournament. He won yesterday mainly because of the way he served to Wawrinka in the 2nd and 3rd set. 

Thiem vs Zverev could be a good match up. Djoker is surely favorite here, however, do not leave out Thiem or Zverev. We have seniors on one side with 36 slams, and on other side of the draw we have two young guns waiting to win their first slam. I think this will one of the best grandslams ending in recent times. 

Tournament is Djokovic's to lose. 

Federer has no chance of winning.

Thiem is too mentally and physically exhausted after the Nadal match, he won't have the energy to go thru DJ despite matching up well with him the last few years. 

Zverev, will just bend over to DJ like he usually does, with a scoreline similar to last year's AO final. This is quite possible since it would be Zverev's first GS final if he reaches. The pressure would be enormous.