randomGuy

Does ‘Chhapaak’ portray acid attack convict as a Hindu named ‘Rajesh’? No, false claim

20 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

No, it seems it is Babboo bhaiyya urf Bashir Khan,

Strange, I think I heard it on one of the news channels and so, opened this thread...if not correct, mods, pls delete this thread.

FALSE CLAIM

Alt News contacted Newslaundry co-founder Abhinandan Sekhri who attended the screening of Chhapaak in Delhi. “I watched the special screening of the movie which was organised for acid attack survivors, and the claim on social media that the accused is portrayed as belonging to the Hindu community is false. The person who is convicted is presented as belonging to the Muslim community, and so are his relatives, with one of them shown in a Burkha,” he said.

Sekhri also called-out Swarajya’s erroneous report on Twitter.

Shocking (or maybe not) that such demonstrable misinformation is carried. I watched the screening last night & can tell you with certainty the religion of attacker has not changed. Film has remained accurate to the case. Opinidia ko bachane ke chakkar mein khud Opindia ban gaye.. https://twitter.com/SwarajyaMag/status/1214871873055363073 

According to PTI journalist Radhika Sharma’s report, “In the Meghna Gulzar directed film, there is no mention of any Nadeem or Naeem Khan. Moreover, Rajesh is the name of Malti’s boyfriend.”

“The screening was organised by NCW. The person convicted for the acid attack is known as Bashir Khan urf Babboo in the film, whereas Rajesh is the name of the boyfriend of the acid attack survivor, Malti,” Sharma informed Alt News. The journalist covered the movie’s screening for PTI. 

Times Now broadcast also debunked the false claim.

AN ORGANISED ATTEMPT

The usual suspects Prashant Patel Umrao, Shefali Vaidya, author Ravi Rai, Anuj Bajpai and @Nationalist_Om suggested that the Muslim identity of Laxmi Aggarwal’s perpetrator has been whitewashed in ‘Chhapaak’.

Untitled-design-2020-01-08T174525.216.jp

Sonam Mahajan whose tweet drew over 7,000 retweets at the time of writing this article wrote, “If crime has no religion, then why does Bollywood feel the need to change the religion of perpetrators even in biopics?” Mahajan was one of the earliest to float the false claim.

453b7ad7-a8f7-48d6-9dc6-524af1d13d6b.png

Rohit Jaiswal who identifies himself as a ‘film critic’ questioned, “If Acid attacker name was Naeem Khan then the same name should have been used in film as well… Ye Rajesh kya hai??”

4350bfa5-d984-45c9-a70b-2a75cc0db597.png

One Monica (@TrulyMonica), who terms herself an ‘ex-journalist’ on Twitter, also circulated the false claim.

213b7c04-7f03-40b1-8313-250e85164d84.png

Vikas Pandey (@MODIfiedvikas) tweeted “I knew this” and claimed that the attacker’s name was changed to ‘Rajesh’. He later took down the tweet.

WhatsApp-Image-2020-01-08-at-20.11.47.jp

It is noteworthy Swarjaya later updated its report with the correct information, although clarification on its tweet – “The main accused in Lakshmi’s acid case was Naeem Khan but he is said to have been named “Rajesh” in Deepika’s movie” – is yet to be provided.

Selection_08_01_2020_003.jpg

Furthermore, Free Press Journal carried a misleading report titled, “#NameItLikeBollywood trends after Deepika’s ‘Chhapaak’ ‘changes’ acid attacker’s name from Nadeem Khan to Rajesh”. The article clarifies the misinformation only in the concluding paragraph.

‘Chhapaak’ is set to release on January 10, 2020, and the claim that movie whitewashes the Muslim identity of the attacker who threw acid on Laxmi Aggarwal, by portraying him as a Hindu, was found to be false.

6 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

Terrible from Shefali Vaidya. Peddling lies and trying to rally people to boycott the film. Just because Deepika has an opinion which match her own.

One can have right to opinion but can't have right to boycott?

4 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

One can have right to opinion but can't have right to boycott?

She lied! With the possible intention to have people boycott the movie.

She could just have started a #letsboycottDeepikaPmovies campaign. How dare she stand in protest.

But no, Shefali Vaidya chose to concoct a farcical story about how the movie has misrepresented the perpetrator.

Dont know whats the big deal. She can go and do what she wants as long as she isnt breaking law . 

Vijay Malya has to return such huge amount of money to public banks. I dont see anyone with Boycott Kingfisher posters anywhere. 

Edited by jf1gp_1

3 hours ago, Mariyam said:

Terrible from Shefali Vaidya. Peddling lies and trying to rally people to boycott the film. Just because Deepika has an opinion which match her own.

That's noting she was even making fun of trans genders . Amount of Venom these people spew can even make snake less venomous .

Edited by Stuge

3 hours ago, jf1gp_1 said:

Dont know whats the big deal. She can go and do what she wants as long as she isnt breaking law . 

Vijay Malya has to return such huge amount of money to public banks. I dont see anyone with Boycott Kingfisher posters anywhere. 

Deepika Padukone/ Producers of the movie could sue for defamation.

What has Vijay Mallya's (in cohorts with SBI)  fraud to do with this?

1 minute ago, Mariyam said:

Deepika Padukone/ Producers of the movie could sue for defamation.

What has Vijay Mallya's (in cohorts with SBI)  fraud to do with this?

Re-read. Both are independent statements. 

Watched Tanhaji.Probably watched a Hindi film in theaters after ages.While I do not agree with the commercialization of historical films,we need this narrative more than ever.Will leave your throat choked with emotions , guaranteed.

Yeah,no interest in Chhapaak.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Yoda-esque said:

Big fan of Shefali Vaidya, she calls it as it is

Why? She has lied here through her teeth here. More so, she hasn't apologised at all for spreading falsehood that hurt a business. Textbook defamation case here.

What you are essentially saying is that lying is okay as long as people affiliated to your line of thought indulge in it. :(( 

Another habitual liar is Tajinder Bagga. He claimed "Hinduon se azaadi" was chanted at the Gateway protests. It simply wasn't:

https://www.altnews.in/no-umar-khalid-did-not-raise-hinduo-se-azadi-slogan-at-gateway-of-india-mumbai/

12 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

Not seen the movie (not going to as well), but why change the name in any case? From Nadeem Khan to a neutral Babboo bhaiyya? At least make it Babboo Miyan, to be clear. Anyhow, trolling is multi-lane street on Twitter.

The character in the movie is called as Basheer by everyone who is not his friend/relative. The way it is in real life.

Also, this is not 'trolling'. This is defamation. Way to play down the seriousness of the crime.

1 hour ago, coffee_rules said:

Truly misplaced priorities 

Strange tweet. This producers of the movie have agreed to part with a % of earnings to an organisation that pays for the legal expenses and medical costs of acid attack victims.

The only people with misplaced priorities are those who spread lies with the intention that this movie fails. They are ones who are ensuring that the amount pledged remains low.

Edited by Mariyam

Why? She has lied here through her teeth here. More so, she hasn't apologised at all for spreading falsehood that hurt a business. Textbook defamation case here.
What you are essentially saying is that lying is okay as long as people affiliated to your line of thought indulge in it. :(( 

Another habitual liar is Tajinder Bagga. He claimed "Hinduon se azaadi" was chanted at the Gateway protests. It simply wasn't:
https://www.altnews.in/no-umar-khalid-did-not-raise-hinduo-se-azadi-slogan-at-gateway-of-india-mumbai/

Isn't this an apology?

Now my question: can you say that everyone you follow has never posted stuff inadvertently ?

19 minutes ago, Yoda-esque said:

Isn't this an apology?

Now my question: can you say that everyone you follow has never posted stuff inadvertently ?

Yes, you are right. It is a faux apology of sorts . She hasn't apologised to the ones who were hurt the most: the producers of the movie.

I am not convinced about is the 'inadvertently' part either. Shefali Vaidya has a lot of followers. She influences opinion. The movie's opening has taken a hit.  As someone with a blue tick, the onus is on her to check what she posts, especially if it can  result in losses.

I generally follow handles on comedy, beauty/make up, book and move reviews and a few on law. Make it a point to avoid all the BJP/Congress/Bhakt/Liberal/Hindu/Muslim etc handles. Just vitiates your mind and is filled with intentional/inadvertent falsehoods.

Edited by Mariyam

Yes, you are right. It is a faux apology of sorts . She hasn't apologised to the ones who were hurt the most: the producers of the movie. I am not convinced about is the 'inadvertently' part either. Shefali Vaidya has a lot of followers. She influences opinion. The movie's opening has taken a hit.  As someone with a blue tick, the onus is on her to check what she posts, especially if it can  result in losses.

I generally follow handles on comedy, beauty/make up, book and move reviews and a few on law. Make it a point to avoid all the BJP/Congress/Bhakt/Liberal/Hindu/Muslim etc handles. Just vitiates your mind and is filled with intentional/inadvertent falsehoods.

You don't have to explain whom you follow:) 

Now you know law, so the intent to malign is debatable and has to be proven. Faux or not, she apologized ,which is not something most liberal media handles do.

Finally, I would rather follow her than the so called news media that is biased. Her words are scathing and make sense to me.By the way, I bet she's going to be the next victim of this left liberal ecosystem.They are vicious.

20 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

No less than this blue ticker 

Are you trying to justify **** posting on transgenders ? Do you even realise how badly they are treated by the so called  Indian society on top these people have the audacity to make fun of them .

9 minutes ago, Stuge said:

Are you trying to justify **** posting on transgenders ? Do you even realise how badly they are treated by the so called  Indian society on top these people have the audacity to make fun of them .

They made fun of him/her/they, because of his attire and his sloganeering. They were shouting “Kashmir mein daishatgardi hain, Iske peeche vardi hain!”. He deserves all the ridicule for being seditious. She later apologized and deleted a tweet that was photoshopped, Anubhav Sinha is a turd in comparison!

7 hours ago, Mariyam said:

She hasn't apologised to the ones who were hurt the most: the producers of the movie.

I am not convinced about is the 'inadvertently' part either. Shefali Vaidya has a lot of followers. She influences opinion. The movie's opening has taken a hit.  As someone with a blue tick, the onus is on her to check what she posts, especially if it can  result in losses.

Even before she RTed this false information, which was a clear 3 or 4 days after DP went to JNU and stood next to the likes of Kanhaiyya, RW handles were trending #BoycottChappaak in protest. She lost a sizable audience just by that move, I don’t think this lie had caused anymore damage than it already did. Besides, you give too much credit to SV’s influence. 

Edited by coffee_rules

In Marathi culture, we respect devadasi and transgenders through jogwa.

Transgender or not,that dude is ugly period.She called a spade a spade.

24 minutes ago, Yoda-esque said:

Transgender or not,that dude is ugly period.She called a spade a spade.

She is being an asshole to be honest ..One can respect ones view but here she went full retard .

2 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

They made fun of him/her/they, because of his attire and his sloganeering. They were shouting “Kashmir mein daishatgardi hain, Iske peeche vardi hain!”. He deserves all the ridicule for being seditious. She later apologized and deleted a tweet that was photoshopped, Anubhav Sinha is a turd in comparison!

I don't even follow or care who is Anubhav Singh ..I only pointed out her post related to transgender.

2 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

It's strange because one would have thought a. people who oppose bjp will go to the theatre to support deepika's movie b. It has been made tax free at various places so more people will watch.

Edited by randomGuy

1 minute ago, randomGuy said:

It's strange because one would have thought a. people who oppose bjp will go to the theatre to support deepika's movie b. It has been made tax free at various free so more people will watch.

Not pointing to her stance only, but general public doesn’t go for movies with strong social message, none such movies do well in India, like Aarakshan. It had all star cast, still do well.

15 hours ago, Yoda-esque said:

Watched Tanhaji.Probably watched a Hindi film in theaters after ages.While I do not agree with the commercialization of historical films,we need this narrative more than ever.Will leave your throat choked with emotions , guaranteed.

Yeah,no interest in Chhapaak.

What is this narrative that you speak of? 

Have you watched Bajirao Mastani and Panipat? How did you find those?

I will catch this movie later this week. I've heard a lot of good things about this one.

I already anticipate a cringe worthy attempt by Ajay Devgn uttering:  "adhi lagin kondanacha, punha lagin rayba cha" :p:

1 hour ago, coffee_rules said:

Not pointing to her stance only, but general public doesn’t go for movies with strong social message, none such movies do well in India, like Aarakshan. It had all star cast, still do well.

Aarakshan hardly had anything to do with reservation. It had *NO* social message. It was about proliferation of coaching classes/centres, and how without keeping profit as the driving motive education can be imparted.

41 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

I will catch this movie later this week. I've heard a lot of good things about this one.

I already anticipate a cringe worthy attempt by Ajay Devgn uttering:  "adhi lagin kondanacha, punha lagin rayba cha" :p:

Read our eminent historians edited social social studies books or text books of Romila Thapar, Irfan Habib makes it looks like India is land of riches which gave an easy pass for Foreign Invaders to come and loot.

Name me one king from the Chalukya,Rashtrakuta,satvahana,pallava,chera dynasty and their accomplishments and you have your answer.

Mariyam,do you agree that a less than 200 year old Mughal history in this glorious history of ours is disproportionately represented in curriculum??Everyone knows who the 6 great emperors are,everyone's knows the Congress leaders..but apart from small chapters on Ashoka,Gupta and Maurya there's nothing else.

That has to be changed.

12 hours ago, Yoda-esque said:

Mariyam,do you agree that a less than 200 year old Mughal history in this glorious history of ours is disproportionately represented in curriculum??Everyone knows who the 6 great emperors are,everyone's knows the Congress leaders..but apart from small chapters on Ashoka,Gupta and Maurya there's nothing else.

That has to be changed.

To be honest, I don't know who the 6 Mughal Emperors are!

I don't think most people could be bothered either ways with what is in the curriculum. I could however, tell you the last 6 years Filmfare award winners. :cool: 

Mughals are relatively recent. Ashoka and the like are from a couple of millennia ago. Authentic sources on Ashoka's life are not as abundant as they are on the Mughals, British and Post Independence India. Most people in Maharashtra already know about (at least vaguely) Shivaji and the Maratha history. That has also to do with them being relatively recent. For example, I doubt many would know which dynasty/sculptor built the Ajanta and Ellora caves. 

The bias here is chronological and not civilizational/religious.

Besides, how would a movie 'change' any of this? Bollywood, in the past has made movies on Ashoka, the Rajputs, the Sikhs, the Marathas, freedom fighters etc. Where exactly is the bias?

Edited by Mariyam

To be honest, I don't know who the 6 Mughal Emperors are!
I don't think most people could be bothered either ways with what is in the curriculum. I could however, tell you the last 6 years Filmfare award winners. :cool: 

Mughals are relatively recent. Ashoka and the like are from a couple of millennia ago. Authentic sources on Ashoka's life are not as abundant as they are on the Mughals, British and Post Independence India. Most people in Maharashtra already know about (at least vaguely) Shivaji and the Maratha history. That has also to do with them being relatively recent. For example, I doubt many would know which dynasty/sculptor built the Ajanta and Ellora caves. 
The bias here is chronological and not civilizational/religious.

Besides, how would a movie 'change' any of this? Bollywood, in the past has made movies on Ashoka, the Rajputs, the Sikhs, the Marathas, freedom fighters etc. Where exactly is the bias?

I bet people in China know about Xin dynasty, or that people in Turkey know about Ottomans or the Italians about Romans .These are not recent civilizations.

Since textbooks do not mention all the indic civilizations ( probably from fear of leftist backlash) prior to the 16th century, what's wrong if films raise that awareness? I have seen many comments on Twitter that they now know who Tanaji was.

By the way ,the capture of Kondhana started the 30 year Maratha- Mughal wars that forced Aurangzeb to come down to Deccan and he still could not defeat the Marathas and died a bitter man.Its an important passage and event of our history.