Beat the test 11

zen

Game Rules:

* pick a team to beat the 11 (+ 12th man) below

* you cannot pick anyone from the 11 + 12th man in the OP (as the team to beat it should be different) 

* you can pick only 11 players + 12th man (so no X/Y) 

* Players should have either picked up 100 wkts or scored 2,000 runs

Test 11

Gavaskar

Viv Richards (avgs around 60 or more as a top order batsman) 

Bradman

Lara

Smith

Sobers

Gilchrist

Hadlee

Marshall 

Warne

Ambrose 

12th man: Murali (so can be played as per conditions/requirements) 

3 hours ago, First class said:

Gooch

Greenidge

Ponting

Tendulkar

Border

Imran Khan ( C)

Marsh

Lillee

Akram

Kumble

Mcgrath

12th man Kallis

Not bad! Notes: 

• Imran Khan at 6 appears to be too high for him in a world 11 esp. as we know he did not bat and bowl equally well in the same period. His batting improved once his bowling lost some teeth. Usually, he can  be picked as a bowler, with his batting an added advantage. And with Marsh at 7, batting appears to lack depth, esp when the OP 11 has Bradman, which is like playing two batsman. Also Sobers at his peak could be like 1.25-1.30 batsman (Avg 65 in the 58-73 period over 75 tests)
  • For WK, you could also consider Flower, who has a great test record (avg 52) or Sangakara (Avg 57), if you want to make him keep 
  • There are more penetrating bowlers than Akram  for e.g. in tests  Link  unless you want a left arm option. But in test cricket, you want the better bowlers than variety
  • There are likes of Chappell (Avg 54) as well who are brilliant vs fast bowling. G Pollock (avg 61) is an option as well and can be tried as an opener 

Edited by zen
1 hour ago, zen said:

Not bad! Notes: 

• Imran Khan at 6 appears to be too high for him in a world 11 esp. as we know he did not bat and bowl equally well in the same period. His batting improved once his bowling lost some teeth. Usually, he can  be picked as a bowler, with his batting an added advantage. And with Marsh at 7, batting appears to lack depth, esp when the OP 11 has Bradman, which is like playing two batsman. Also Sobers at his peak could be like 1.25-1.30 batsman (Avg 65 in the 58-73 period over 75 tests)
  • For WK, you could also consider Flower, who has a great test record (avg 52) or Sangakara (Avg 57), if you want to make him keep 
  • There are more penetrating bowlers than Akram  for e.g. in tests  Link  unless you want a left arm option. But in test cricket, you want the better bowlers than variety
  • There are likes of Chappell (Avg 54) as well who are brilliant vs fast bowling. G Pollock (avg 61) is an option as well and can be tried as an opener 

Just like you raised question about Imran, similarly questions can be raised about Bradman's ability to play fast bowling as he never faced one. 

3 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

Just like you raised question about Imran, similarly questions can be raised about Bradman's ability to play fast bowling as he never faced one. 

Imran has a test avg of 38. In a world 11 (as this is not Pak 11), you could find better options for #6 .... while Marsh has an avg of 27 (iirc) and he is coming in at #7 

1 minute ago, zen said:

Imran has a test avg of 38. In a world 11 (as this is not Pak 11), you could find better options for #6 .... while Marsh has an avg of 27 (iirc) and he is coming in at #7 

My question is for Bradman in your team. You can find a batsman who is proven against fast bowling than someone who always faced medium pacers at best. 

Just now, Trichromatic said:

My question is for Bradman in your team. You can find a batsman who is proven against fast bowling than someone who always faced medium pacers at best. 

I do not doubt the capabilities of a player with an avg of 100. There is no reason for it. 

20 minutes ago, Prabhdeep Singh said:

Virender Sehwag

Rohit Sharma 

Ricky Ponting (C)

S Tendulkar

J Kallis

B Stokes

Ms Dhoni (WK)

Wasim Akram

A Kumble

Dale Steyn

G McGrath

R Ashwin

Interesting picks, esp. if you have gone with your fav players. Those in red appear to be more suitable for ODIs at the moment. Though Stokes is having a good yr, if you are seeking gritty performers, there are proven ones over 100 of tests such as S Waugh that can be considered for #6 .... For opening, someone like Greenidge, Gooch, Hayden, etc., could partner Sehwag  - LINK 

Edited by zen
2 minutes ago, zen said:

Interesting picks, esp. if you have gone with your fav players. Those in red are more suitable to ODIs at the moment. Though Stokes is having a good yr, if you are seeking gritty performers, there are proven ones such as S Waugh that can be considered for #6. Someone like Greenidge, Gooch, Hayden, etc., could partner Sehwag. In tests, there have been more probably more threatening bowlers than Akram - LINK 

W Akram (Left armer for variety)

Ms Dhoni not a favourite player at all, after Gilchrist he 2nd best WK batsman (not only WK ability)

Rohit Sharma, yes you can say a favourite player.

I went for Ben Stokes as he makes things happen in crunch situations. There are other all rounders I could have chosen such as Kapil, Botham, Imran or Flintoff. I feel stokes has more batting ability than those.

39 minutes ago, Prabhdeep Singh said:

W Akram (Left armer for variety)

Ms Dhoni not a favourite player at all, after Gilchrist he 2nd best WK batsman (not only WK ability)

Rohit Sharma, yes you can say a favourite player.

I went for Ben Stokes as he makes things happen in crunch situations. There are other all rounders I could have chosen such as Kapil, Botham, Imran or Flintoff. I feel stokes has more batting ability than those.

Andy Flower usually competes with Gilchrist. Avgs 54 as WK .... Sangakkara (Avg 57; 40 as WK) can keep too 

PS LINK

Edited by zen
3 hours ago, zen said:

I do not doubt the capabilities of a player with an avg of 100. There is no reason for it. 

His batting abilities against fast bowling is unknown. 

I don't have doubt. I don't have any information and there is a reason for that. Reason is that he didn't face any fast bowler. 

11 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

His batting abilities against fast bowling is unknown. 

I don't have doubt. I don't have any information and there is a reason for that. Reason is that he didn't face any fast bowler. 

No information is required :winky: ....  As Sobers who debuted just after Don retired smashed Lillee. Gavaskar played with Sobers. Tendulkar debuted just after Gavaskar retired .... so there is traceable/linkable evidence on capabilities of top batsmen .... Also Indian legends like Vijay Merchant and Vinoo Mankad, who played in Don's era, are still considered among Ind's best (and feature in ATG11). Unless you want to term these Indian legends' capabilities as unknown too, ....   :dontknow:

Edited by zen
2 minutes ago, zen said:

No information is required :winky: ....  As Sobers who debuted just after Don retired smashed Lillee. Gavaskar played with Sobers. Tendulkar debuted just after Gavaskar retired .... Also Indian legends like Vijay Merchant and Vinoo Mankad, who played in Don's era), are still considered among Ind's best. Unless you want to term their capabilities as unknown too  

But you are entitled to your opinion .... no big deal :dontknow:

This is not an opinion. There is no opinion as there is no information. Likes of Gavaskar played fast bowlers. 

You're just extrapolating that a batsman who was good against 60-70 mph medium pacers would automatically be good against fast bowlers without any reason or basis. 

1 minute ago, Trichromatic said:

This is not an opinion. There is no opinion as there is no information. Likes of Gavaskar played fast bowlers. 

So? As I said Sobers who debuted just after Don smashed Lillee. Gavaskar played with Sobers, who had played similar bowlers to Don too .... And as I said, you are entitled to your opinion. Don being considered the greatest is not a big deal for me so the discussion is pointless 

11 minutes ago, zen said:

can't pick Ambrose and Murali as they are part of the 12 in OP (read rules in OP) :lol:

Holding instead of Ambrose...You cannot pick ATGs as 12th man, 15 man squad etc and not leave us anything :giggle: Pick only the playing 11...you can keep Jaddu as 12th man...lol

Hayden

Graeme Smith (C)

Ponting

Sachin

Kohli

Kallis

Sangakarra

Akram

Holding

Murali

McGrath

Just now, The Dark Horse said:

Holding instead of Ambrose...You cannot pick ATGs as 12th man, 15 man squad etc and not leave us anything :giggle: Pick only the playing 11...you can keep Jaddu as 12th man...lol

Hayden

Graeme Smith (C)

Ponting

Sachin

Kohli

Kallis

Sangakarra

Akram

Holding

Murali

McGrath

:lol: goal is to see which players are popular outside the usual suspects and of course the challenge to device a team from rest :dance: