ICC U-19 World Cup 2020 Discussion Thread

nsareen

19 hours ago, vice said:

Another thing people need to note is that these u19 kids are works in progress and not finished products.  Some may shine brighter than others at this stage but it's how they mature,evolve and improve both technically and mentally after this tournament that will determine their success in the future Indian teams or not. 

That's true however there needs to be a transition plan though. Last time Mavi, Nagarkotti, Shaw,Gill already looked a few notches above the u-19 level. They could have made it to most senior teams. In fact even someone like Abhishek Sharma or Porel.

On the other hand Shaheen Shah looked inferior to Mavi/Nagarkotti while I think he has made a very good transition,Mavi and Nagarkotti are not even close to being in contention.

Obviously we have had guys like Chand and R.Sodhi who flattered to deceive and we are not a WI and Pak where any guy with talent is just thrown into the deep end but at the same time we do not seem to have a good transition system.

While someone like Shaw (Mumbai) and Gill (Punjab) might be fine due to their domestic teams which yield some power ,Nagarkotti and Mavi play for Rajasthan and UP and easier to get lost in the shuffle.

If someone is cut above the rest compared to his peers than that is where a guy of the stature of Dravid comes in and will be judged how he has helped them made the transition rather than coaching them to compete at a junior level.

28 minutes ago, Global.Baba said:

That's true however there needs to be a transition plan though. Last time Mavi, Nagarkotti, Shaw,Gill already looked a few notches above the u-19 level. They could have made it to most senior teams. In fact even someone like Abhishek Sharma or Porel.

On the other hand Shaheen Shah looked inferior to Mavi/Nagarkotti while I think he has made a very good transition,Mavi and Nagarkotti are not even close to being in contention.

Obviously we have had guys like Chand and R.Sodhi who flattered to deceive and we are not a WI and Pak where any guy with talent is just thrown into the deep end but at the same time we do not seem to have a good transition system.

While someone like Shaw (Mumbai) and Gill (Punjab) might be fine due to their domestic teams which yield some power ,Nagarkotti and Mavi play for Rajasthan and UP and easier to get lost in the shuffle.

If someone is cut above the rest compared to his peers than that is where a guy of the stature of Dravid comes in and will be judged how he has helped them made the transition rather than coaching them to compete at a junior level.

Shaheen also made it to international cricket sooner as he did not have much competition, while bowlers like Mavi/Nagarkotti could not break into national team due to lack of availability for a spot in the presence of bowlers like Bumra, Shami, Yedev, Bhuvi, Saini and many more.

Like the format 16 teams 4 groups of 4 then top two in each group to the quarters and places for the likes of Scotland, Japan, Nigeria and Canada. Shame we can't have the same for the senior world cup.

Edited by YCCC

As for Pak : Haider , Rohail Nazir and Huraira are batsmen, Couple of pacy tall bowlers in the mould of Shaheen

India: Garg The most International Class Jaiswal is bit suspect against Short stuff but a prospect nonetheless And that Veer guy Watch out for him Also he is spinning allrounder  

Bowlers: Left arm Pacer Akash Singh

Zimbabwe has resurgent, Surprisingly decent crop of upcoming players

Bangladesh has been the best ever

South africa has been pretty pedestal going down zimbabwe route one would fear

Afghanis : Well their U25s has always taken a fight to oppositions 

akash singh is going for a lot of runs since he has landed in south africa. first the SA series then quadra gular & now warm ups. he had bowled extremely poorly with the new bowl often going above 10 RPO only to come back later when lesser batsmen are around and the field is open.. seems like he is a one dimensional bowler who relies on inswing only & doesn’t know how else to take wickets, probably low on confidence after the beating he has got.. our 4th seamer vidyadhar patil looks innocuous & a poor without pace. effectively only kartik tyagi & sushant mishra amongst the wickets and with some level of control..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

with divyanshu joshi out of the world cup we lack in a seaming all rounder. quite unluckily for the young guy from Mizoram who made it till the end only to be injured. i remember in 2018 world cup porel was injured but kept playing in pain, in this instance shoulder dislocation ends any chance of a comeback.. sad for him and the team.. a genuine all-rounder lost to injury

As for Pak : Haider , Rohail Nazir and Huraira are batsmen, Couple of pacy tall bowlers in the mould of Shaheen
India: Garg The most International Class Jaiswal is bit suspect against Short stuff but a prospect nonetheless And that Veer guy Watch out for him Also he is spinning allrounder  
Bowlers: Left arm Pacer Akash Singh
Zimbabwe has resurgent, Surprisingly decent crop of upcoming players
Bangladesh has been the best ever
South africa has been pretty pedestal going down zimbabwe route one would fear
Afghanis : Well their U25s has always taken a fight to oppositions 

australia have been playing excellent this far & have some exciting players even england.. hence quite competitive teams this time..

1 hour ago, nsareen said:

with divyanshu joshi out of the world cup we lack in a seaming all rounder. quite unluckily for the young guy from Mizoram who made it till the end only to be injured. i remember in 2018 world cup porel was injured but kept playing in pain, in this instance shoulder dislocation ends any chance of a comeback.. sad for him and the team.. a genuine all-rounder lost to injury

He isn't from Mizoram. He is from UP, played all his cricket in UP.  Played even u19, didn't do well, struggled to make it to squad, also huge competition, then moved to mizoram.

1 hour ago, nsareen said:

akash singh is going for a lot of runs since he has landed in south africa. first the SA series then quadra gular & now warm ups. he had bowled extremely poorly with the new bowl often going above 10 RPO only to come back later when lesser batsmen are around and the field is open.. seems like he is a one dimensional bowler who relies on inswing only & doesn’t know how else to take wickets, probably low on confidence after the beating he has got.. our 4th seamer vidyadhar patil looks innocuous & a poor without pace. effectively only kartik tyagi & sushant mishra amongst the wickets and with some level of control..

Patil does not look good, TBH. Rakshann, even Purnank Tyagi was better. 

39 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

He isn't from Mizoram. He is from UP, played all his cricket in UP.  Played even u19, didn't do well, struggled to make it to squad, also huge competition, then moved to mizoram.

Yes he is originally from UP but represents Mizoram now & it was a big deal for them when he got selected! Anyways he did play really well in the challengers too & people rate him considering his all round skills..

Tilak Verma, Dhruv Jurel,Sushant Mishra and Atharva Ankolekar are the guys likely to deliver in pressure situations from what I've seen. Jaiswal and Garg are probably the finest stroke players but they haven't been consistent. Hegde and Bishnoi are similar, sometimes very good sometimes not so great. The same goes for Kartik Tyagi and Akash Singh. Veer has only played a couple of matches and has looked good. 

8 hours ago, nsareen said:

australia have been playing excellent this far & have some exciting players even england.. hence quite competitive teams this time..

Aus has one guy who even scored runs in Shield cricket that I know Not much information about the rest

Zero Idea about England tho they have wonderful crop of players coming in Limited overs since last few years So likely to be a contender this time

7 hours ago, Forward Defence said:

Tilak Verma, Dhruv Jurel,Sushant Mishra and Atharva Ankolekar are the guys likely to deliver in pressure situations from what I've seen. Jaiswal and Garg are probably the finest stroke players but they haven't been consistent. Hegde and Bishnoi are similar, sometimes very good sometimes not so great. The same goes for Kartik Tyagi and Akash Singh. Veer has only played a couple of matches and has looked good. 

Yes, Veer looked real good in that last game.  Garg is no flash in the pan, very solid technique, shows ease and assuredness at the crease.  Makes me think of Babar Azam oddly.