Vedic astrology

Real McCoy

This is a thread for vedic astrology. I know a little about what the grahas represent and how they impact our day to day lives. The grahas I believe are not just forces outside but also inside. Feel free to discuss whatever related to vedic astrology here. This is only a fun thread not to be taken as serious advice. Anyway I don't believe in prediction based on astrology. @velu You can also tag in some experts in this field

Edited by Real McCoy

9 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

For those who think this is bakwaas, I didn't say I believe in predictive astrology. The nature of grahas is very self evident to me. If you go against this, you don't believe in the texts written down. Which is ok but why comment on this thread :noidea:

Its a free country, and a free forum. 

Btw, Just because one doesn't believe in "astrological" co-relations, doesn't mean that one is a kaffir non-believer, or disrespects the value that ancient texts hold.  

The concept of astrology is as ancient and universal as the concept of god itself.  It’s not a tradition that originated in one part of the world.

Not believing is an individual option.

The problem I have with these so called “liberal, progressive” types is they don’t listen to the other side. They have a phobia once ancient texts are mentioned.

Just like the annoying atheist, they seem to get their chaddis in their twist once god is mentioned. Most people who beleive in god, carry on about their business and maybe spend a few hours for their spiritual self in a place of worship. No harm done there, however the atheists seem to have their life revolves around disproving god lol.

Same goes for ancient beliefs. You are feee not to believe but looking down on a age old tradition is dumb. 

the Prem Jyotish guy is a hack but if a person finds solace and peace of mind in buying a gemstone from him that’s his problem, how is that any different from indulging on an extra dessert or making  a stupid purchase on Amazon, it’s the buyers problem.

Edited by Global.Baba

11 minutes ago, Global.Baba said:

The problem I have with these so called “liberal, progressive” types is they don’t listen to the other side. They have a phobia once ancient texts are mentioned.

As usual Moroniac sticks to his usual pattern of strawman logic.  

21 minutes ago, Global.Baba said:

The concept of astrology is as ancient and universal as the concept of god itself.  It’s not a tradition that originated in one part of the world.

Not believing is an individual option.

Just like the annoying atheist, they seem to get their chaddis in their twist once god is mentioned. Most people who beleive in god, carry on about their business and maybe spend a few hours for their spiritual self in a place of worship. No harm done there, however the atheists seem to have their life revolves around disproving god lol.

Same goes for ancient beliefs. You are feee not to believe but looking down on a age old tradition is dumb. 

the Prem Jyotish guy is a hack but if a person finds solace and peace of mind in buying a gemstone from him that’s his problem, how is that any different from indulging on an extra dessert or making  a stupid purchase on Amazon, it’s the buyers problem.

Agree with your post except the bolded part. Most of jyotish "experts" are doing it to make a quick buck. They can't be trusted. Some of the astrologers have deals with gemstone sellers so that both can profit out of scare tactics that the so called astrologer uses to sell the costly gemstone. With everything there is good and bad. This is the bad part of astrology. This turns off some from astrology. I had a friend who didn't want to consult an astrologer but his mom wanted to get his astrology checked. The astrologer used some snake oil salesman type bs on his family and literally told him he will die in the next 10 years if not for some puja or gemstone I dont remember. His mom got scared and got it done even though my friend himself knew this guy is scamming him.

Your assessment of the liberal progressive types is spot on.

Edit: Someone got butthurt about the liberal progressive comment :lol: You know you are on the right track when certain buttons are pushed and the typical reactions follow :phehe:

Edited by Real McCoy

"Someone" might want to scroll up and read what was written before said strawman, instead of choosing to sit with fellow frogs in their own echo chambers slaying imaginary "liberals"....

43 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Btw, Just because one doesn't believe in "astrological" co-relations, doesn't mean that one is a kaffir non-believer, or disrespects the value that ancient texts hold.  

Edited by sandeep

I think I've shared this episode before on a similar thread.

I scored a 48 during my 10th grade prelims in Maths. My mom went into an over drive and dragged me along to a baba (local and without a dot)/numerologist who gave me a taveez and added an 'i' to my name. Maryam -> Mariyam. All of this for a predictably exorbitant sum of money. And behold, my score in the final exams was 84. 

It works guys.  :yess:

PS: I always knew we were the true deen. Even our occult practices work. 

PPS: I should have added another 'i' and gotten to a 100. :(( 

Edited by Mariyam
Added an i, not a y. I'm actually confused now.

The first graha is the Sun which represents the soul, power of the ultimate creator, a person's father, strength and vitality, purpose and direction, managing the bigger things in life, your own authority, authoritative positions and people, etc. Its a male graha, its element is fire and its nature is hot and dry. It rules the sign of Leo and is exalted at Aries and debilitated in Libra. It receives digbala (directional strength) in the 10th house.

13 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

I think I've shared this episode before on a similar thread.

I scored a 48 during my 10th grade prelims in Maths. My mom went into an over drive and dragged me along to a baba (local and without a dot)/numerologist who gave me a taveez and added an 'i' to my name. Maryam -> Mariyam. All of this for a predictably exorbitant sum of money. And behold, my score in the final exams was 84. 

It works guys.  :yess:

PS: I always knew we were the true deen. Even our occult practices work. 

PPS: I should have added another 'i' and gotten to a 100. :(( 

Most probably that astrologer gave part of that money to your exam paper evaluator ( hope this word is correct  )  :phehe:

Edited by Mariyam

My mother got my horoscope done when I was a early teenager. There was a summary created by the astrologer which I was not supposed to read, but found it and read it anyway. It said that I would live in foreign land and be successful in my profession. Also it mentioned a certain chronic (but not life-threatening or debilitating) ailment that I would suffer from most of my life. All three turned out to be true. I do not remember the rest. 

This could be pure coincidence. I do not necessarily believe or would go to an astrologer. Most of them are fake like the Prem Jyotish phucker. As to if there are certain elements of it that are legit, maybe. But I have not really looked into it in depth.

Edited by Audiophile

14 minutes ago, velu said:

Scorpio lagna with Scorpio mars . :bandit:

Taurus moon but waning ( 7th house ) . :love:

Super exalted retrograde mercury with Sun and debilated Venus in 11th house . :money:

Mercury and Venus are very much :money:oriented and are very friendly towards each other :hug: And also since they are within one or two houses at any given time, it may usually be extreme friendship for most people

6 minutes ago, Audiophile said:

My mother got my horoscope done when I was a early teenager. There was a summary created by the astrologer which I was not supposed to read, but found it and read it anyway. It said that I would live in foreign land and be successful in my profession. Also it mentioned a certain chronic (but not life-threatening or debilitating) ailment that I would suffer from most of my life. All three turned out to be true. I do not remember the rest. 

This could be pure coincidence. I do not necessarily believe or would go to an astrologer. Most of them are fake like the Prem Jyotish phucker. As to if there are certain elements of it that are legit, maybe. But I have not really looked into it in depth.

What counts as a foreign land?  For instance, going from anywhere is Austria to anywhere in Germany is a short distance, but technically it represents going to a foreign land, but going from Kashmir to Kanyakumari is not.  A few decades ago, going from Russia to Uzbekistan was not going to a foreign land, but today it is.  How does astrology account for changing borders and varying distances?   

Edited by Param Mastishk Pheeka

Just now, Param Mastishk Pheeka said:

What counts as a foreign land?  For instance, going from anywhere is Austria to anywhere in Germany is going to a foreign land, but going from Kashmir to Kanyakumari is not.  A few decades ago, going from Russia to Uzbekistan was not going to a foreign land, but today it is.  How does astrology account for changing borders and varying distances?   

My astrology untrained guess would be that crossing oceans/seas is akin to going to a foreign land.

Saat samundar paar. What is the origin of that phrase anyways?