'Australia, England scared of India's rise'--Gavaskar

Laaloo

http://www.cricketnext.com/news/indias-rise-worries-australia-england/30487-13.html New Delhi: Asserting that India have become a superpower in world cricket, Sunil Gavaskar has given the game's traditional top teams Australia and England a hard pill to swallow, adding that the two nations can't come to grips with the fact. "Gone are the days when two countries, England and Australia, had the veto power in international cricket, even though the dinosaurs, still trying to voice their prejudiced opinions in the media, may not open their eyes and see the reality," Gavaskar wrote in his column on Sunday. Former India captain Gavaskar, who is also the chief of ICC's cricket committee, adds that India have shed the role of being a nation that is pushed around by others in cricketing matters. "The cricketing world has found that India has no longer a diffident voice in the international cricketing community, but a confident one that knows what is good for its cricket, and will strive to get it," he says. "What may have worried these people was the manner in which India defended its player Harbhajan Singh on the 'racist' allegation made against him. When all the technology in the world was unable to prove that he had indeed said anything, these guys, especially those in Australia, having got so used to getting it their way, were unable to stomach it." India are currently ranked No. 2 in the Test rankings after a heated series against Australia away. India lost the Test series after a barrage of acrimonious contests, but came back strongly to beat the world champions to lift the Commonwealth Bank one-day tri-series. Gavaskar also points out that Australian and British media had taken a strong objection to India's representative for the post of ICC's CEO, IS Bindra, although the former BCCI chief didn't get it. BCCI's current President Sharad Pawar is set to become ICC's president in 2010, before the World Cup comes back to the sub-continent in 2011, with India hosting the final. "As soon as Mr Bindra's name was announced there were a flurry of articles in England and Australia that giving him the job would put too much power in India's hands," he said. "Those worried of the prospect of India's hegemony were conveniently forgetting that only a few years back, there were two Australians at the top of the ICC. (Malcolm Gray was the President while Malcolm Speed was its chief executive). "Once again, it is a misplaced belief that they are the only ones with honesty, integrity and have the welfare of the game at heart, while the 'sub-continentals' do not. "Every controversy in international cricket has shown that no country has the monopoly on honesty and integrity, and so should not be looking down upon others. "Still, it is a habit that is hard to get over, and so it is anathema to think that those who were the ruled can one day become the rulers." :yay::yay::yay::yay:
India need to start winning more matches - that is the bottom line. Winning series 1-0 against hapless opposition like Pakistan should not cut it in the future. India have a good chance to make a telling statement in this series against South Africa and take it at least 2-0.
with "somewhat defensive" kumble?? i doubt it
"What may have worried these people was the manner in which India defended its player Harbhajan Singh on the 'racist' allegation made against him. When all the technology in the world was unable to prove that he had indeed said anything, these guys, especially those in Australia, having got so used to getting it their way, were unable to stomach it."
Spot on, same goes with the "rub" of the green as well, they are not used to seeing another team so vehemently denouncing the lack of quality of umpires and of course the behavior of the cheaters.
Look who's back. The chief whinger. :regular_smile:
Yes, exactly. Good to see you back, I'm sure you'll entertain us with your trolling and whinging. As for me, I never left the place, but it's not the same without some quality trolling.

I am so glad guys like Gavaskar is not in a policy making position. He's been flaming this ' Brown Vs White' war for sometime now and it aint helping matters one bit. He is actually making the atmosphere of interaction only MORE vitriolic. Its pretty obvious, Gavaskar has a long-held animsity towards the "White" cricket playing nations and because Ind didnt have this much control over the game in the past, he couldnt voice his opinion with force. Now that we are in a force of domination, he has all of a sudden, found the conviction to go against 'em. Where was all his Anglo-American diatribe, in his playing years, or for that matter in the mid-90s or the early 2000s ? Of course, then, he was at his diplomatic best and courteous. I have made no bones about the fact that I hold very LITTLE regard and respect for Gavaskar. I have always maintained he is a self-centered cricketer who played only for personal record, glory and statistics. A snapshot of his mentality can be gleaned from the following two videos. cvIY29QeTsU NjoKXoW7mgk In his parting advice to Rohit Sharma ( who incidentally, got out for a near-70 in the first final of the CB series), you would have expected Gavaskar to say something along the lines of " You should'nt have gotten out when the team is still 30 runs from victory" but he so characteristically, goes on to say " You have to go on from your 60s and 70s and get to a 100". Such is his obsession with numbers and stats. And his inherent hatred and suspicion for the Aussies can be clearly seen from the second video. After showing the replay of the beamer from Lee to Sachin, Harsha goes on to say something along the lines of how, normally, after a beamer is bowled to a batsman, the batsman and bowler exchange glares angry words and stares and how this time, there was a friendly hand-shake between Lee and Sachin. Gavaskar, instead of applauding the sportsmanlike behavior of the two players, abruptly changes the topic and says how he thinks the beamer by Lee was deliberate. Now, the first person to have taken offense to that ball should have been Sachin and even he, smiled and shook hands with Lee. Thats coz he knows Lee well and understands the he will never deliberately bowl a beamer to him. Gavaskar, despite knowing all this, is intent on framing Lee. And fittingly ( and I know he made this comment tongue-in-cheek), he goes on to add how, if a bowler had bowled a beamer to him 98, he would have asked him to bowl a half-volley to him so that he can get to his hundred, giving another hint of his almost mad-like obsession with 100s. Knowing Gavaskar to be the man he is, one who has got a inborn prejudice against White nations and is shamelessly selfish, we would do well to totally ignore all his remarks. Besides, you couldnt possibly expect Gavaskar to be intelligent enough to know that if you are the super-power, which is what India is in the world of cricket now, it doesnt give you the license to a loud-mouth and bully others. He doesnt obviously know that the way India treats other cricket nations and boards today, the same treatment will be meted to us tomorrow. Everything in this world is a cycle, there is no permanent super-power status. Yesterday, it was Eng-Aus, today its us and tomorrow, it will be someone else.

Actually even Ian C was saying how Lee has been bowling beamers regularly and it could well have been deliberate in live commentary. And encouraging youngsters to get 100s is not selfish from any point of view. Usually when batsmen get 100s it's good for the team, except of course prabhakar's 100 type innings.

Actually even Ian C was saying how Lee has been bowling beamers regularly and it could well have been deliberate in live commentary.
Its one thing to say Lee regularly bowled beamers, but an entirely different meaning to say "I dont think it can slip at this level". I think you are intelligent enough to know the difference.
And encouraging youngsters to get 100s is not selfish from any point of view. Usually when batsmen get 100s it's good for the team' date=' except of course prabhakar's 100 type innings.[/quote'] Yeah right... its a big final, the youngster gets out 30 runs away from victory and you tell him " Next time, you have to get your 100".... Now, that is what I call a perfect team-man like advice.
Just because lee apologized doesn't mean he didn't do it deliberately.
I will, OBVIOUSLY, take Sachin's word over yours or Gavaskar's or for that matter, anyone else's word on this. Sachin himself thinks Lee didnt do it deliberately. Now, if anyone is going to have the galls to even suggest that it was deliberate, they have chosen to be dumb, as simple as that. And btw, Gavaskar didnt chose to be dumb, he IS dumb.
Its one thing to say Lee regularly bowled beamers, but an entirely different meaning to say "I dont think it can slip at this level". I think you are intelligent enough to know the difference. Yeah right... its a big final, the youngster gets out 30 runs away from victory and you tell him " Next time, you have to get your 100".... Now, that is what I call a perfect team-man like advice.
That 100 advice was meant for his career, not one single match. When one bowler keeps on bowling beamers with alarming regularity, it is very reasonable to have suspicion. I thought you're intelligent enough not to just blindly admire them. But unfortunately I've already seen you're not.
I will, OBVIOUSLY, take Sachin's word over yours or Gavaskar's or for that matter, anyone else's word on this. Sachin himself thinks Lee didnt do it deliberately. Now, if anyone is going to have the galls to even suggest that it was deliberate, they have chosen to be dumb, as simple as that. And btw, Gavaskar didnt chose to be dumb, he IS dumb.
SRT is too much of a gentleman. If you take his words, it was his fault that GG got run out in the final. Being such a hardcore fan, you should know by now how diplomatic SRT is.
That 100 advice was meant for his career' date=' not one single match.[/quote'] Nope, I dont give a SH!T to how many 100s a youngster is going to make. I am more interested in how many matches he wins for his team. ( And please, dont come up with a "more 100s, naturally means more wins" kinda logic.
When one bowler keeps on bowling beamers with alarming regularity' date=' it is very reasonable to have suspicion. I thought you're intelligent enough not to just blindly admire them. But unfortunately I've already seen you're not.[/quote'] K dude, I have enough of this. I cant believe you seem to so oblivious to a basic sequence that is out there for all to see. I could almost start a poll on how many people here think that beamer was deliberate and I can guarantee you, at the end of it, you will be embarrassed by the result.