Sign in to follow this  
Laaloo

'Australia, England scared of India's rise'--Gavaskar

Trying to make head or tail of anything Anakin writes is a lost cause. :regular_smile:
sorry grandpa, u should try to use tv first before even reading about iPods.

Guys, Please calm down!!!!! We can have the gavaskar thread on a separately. First discuss this original column by Gavaskar! Your veto days are over! Author: Sunil Gavaskar Date: 23 Mar 2008 England and Australia ought to remember this and put an end to their prejudiced views on India image_gallery?img_id=1052864why target them? Board President Sharad Pawar with IS Bindra A FEW days before the recent meeting of the ICC Executive Board in Dubai, the names of the two candidates to replace Malcolm Speed as the Chief Executive Officer of the ICC were announced. Mr IS Bindra, former President of the Board of Control for Cricket in India and Mr Imtiaz Patel, currently the CEO of the Supersport TV channel in South Africa, were the contenders shortlisted for the post. As soon as Mr Bindra’s name was announced, there were a flurry of articles in England and Australia that giving him the job would put too much power in India’s hands, as Mr Pawar was going to be President of the ICC in 2010. Worried The ICC CEO was to be given a three-year contract, which could be renewed of course, but it was only in the final year of his contract that there could have been two Indians at the helm of the ICC. Those worried of the prospect of India’s hegemony were conveniently forgetting that only a few years back, there were two Australians at the top of the ICC. Malcolm Gray as President and Malcolm Speed as the CEO, but there were no fears about Australia ruling the game then. Why is it that these writers have no qualms about similar situations when it concerns their own countrymen, but are quick to raise a hue and cry when it is from India or the sub-continent? Once again, it is misplaced belief that they are the only ones with honesty, integrity and have the welfare of the game at heart, while the ‘sub-continentals’ do not. Every controversy in international cricket has shown that no country has the monopoly on honesty and integrity, and so should not be looking down upon others. Still, it is a habit that is hard to get over, and so it is anathema to think that those who were the ruled can one day become the rulers. It is this supercilious and condescending attitude that is hard to understand at a time when the world even thought it is still round more even than ever before. Gone are the days when two countries, England and Australia, had the veto power in international cricket, even though the dinosaurs, still trying to voice their prejudiced opinions in the media, may not open their eyes and see the reality. The cricketing world has found that India has no longer a diffident voice in the international cricketing community, but a confident one that knows what is good for its cricket, and will strive to get it. What may have worried these people was the manner in which India defended its player Harbhajan Singh on the ‘racist’ allegation made against him. Unable to prove India was insistent that Harbhajan had not said anything racist, and when all the technology in the world was unable to prove that he had indeed said anything, these guys, especially those in Australia, having got so used to getting it their way, were unable to stomach it. They kept referring to India’s threat of calling off the tour, completely ignoring the statement of Mr Pawar where he categorically stated that there was no question of calling off the tour. Yes, there were some other BCCI members who were aggressive, but it was the President who had been authorised to take the final decision, and when he made it clear that there was no threat to the continuation of the tour, that should have been that. So, to ignore that and project others from the BCCI as bullies and thus create that kind of image of BCCI suited the particular newspaper, which even now refuses to accept that its players could be mistaken, despite Justice Hansen’s judgment. Talking of bullying, one wonders what the reaction of these people would be to the threat of the Federation of International Hockey to take away the 2010 World Cup hockey from India, unless India totally accepts project ‘Promoting Indian Hockey’ that was being proposed by the FIH. How and why should the staging of the World Cup be linked to a development project is hard to understand, but that kind of bullying does not raise any comment from these guys, presumably because it is coming from Europeans, while the BCCI standing behind its player who was wrongly and falsely accused of racist comment is looked as strong-arm tactics. Wow! The hockey scenario that is unfolding is also an indicator of how people from overseas look upon India to get some easy dough. It’s not just in cricket, where the IPL coaches have been signed from all over the world for what presumably are lucrative fees. A Twenty20 game is such a fast-paced one that there is very little room for any tactics, and so a coach is really not needed. What is definitely required is a physical trainer, because the nature of the format makes physical fitness so important, and also a top-class fielding coach who can make a difference to the fielding standards, where every run matters and matches are won or lost by the odd run or two. The IPL has been a golden opportunity for these smooth-talkers to come and earn some easy money, and if their teams don’t do well, it will be explained in a smooth way as well. Eye on India Coming back to hockey, it is apparent that Ric Charlesworth has set his eyes on becoming the coach of the senior team. Joaquim Carvalho worked only for about 11 months with pretty good results till that one bad game in Santiago. Charlesworth, as Technical Consultant, will get many times more than what Carvalho got, and with more technical support as well. If he is really keen to do something for Indian hockey, he should accept the challenge of working at Carvalho’s salary and showing results by getting India the gold medal at the Commonwealth Games. If he does achieve that then he should be given the balance of the fees he was promised when he came for the job. For far too long have we in India been given promises of taking our sporting teams to the top by coaches, who then scoot away without even a kind word to say about the country that gave them so much and got so little in return. professional management group -------------------------------------------------------------------- I think Gavaskar started well and has written few very good points which had made me angry at the Australian and English media media as well, but somehow he become too angry to lose a bit of perspective here:

A Twenty20 game is such a fast-paced one that there is very little room for any tactics, and so a coach is really not needed. What is definitely required is a physical trainer, because the nature of the format makes physical fitness so important, and also a top-class fielding coach who can make a difference to the fielding standards, where every run matters and matches are won or lost by the odd run or two. The IPL has been a golden opportunity for these smooth-talkers to come and earn some easy money, and if their teams don’t do well, it will be explained in a smooth way as well.
His article could have done without the above point. But all in all I agree with him and am happy that at least there is someone to expose the hypocrisy of Australian and English media. In fact Gavaskar has been doing it since a long time. I remember some of his articles in '99-00 when India had put up a shameful show in Australia. Of course much of the ire was directed at the spineless performance of the Indians but Gavaskar never failed to highlight some of the lop sided Australian views there too.

sorry grandpa' date=' u should try to use tv first before even reading about iPods.[/quote'] I don't need either. I use a brain. You should try it. New experiences can widen one's appreciation of life. :regular_smile:

I don't need either. I use a brain. You should try it. New experiences can widen one's appreciation of life. :regular_smile:
That is simply against the law in Aussieland

ok smartass, try typing on iPod first with thick fingers at 1 am. But answered anyway, it was obvious even before that u r too serious about convict comment while it is usually used in jest lots of times, the genetic was just an extension and often as a response to some nasty comments by saint oz trolls.
Ok, its official, you have lost it. :haha: And if its so hard to type in your super-cool iPod which obviously, only you have access to ( we poor souls have only second hand 1984 Macs which I bought in the yard sale :haha:) dont type, who asked you to continue typing :haha:

I don't need either. I use a brain. You should try it. New experiences can widen one's appreciation of life. :regular_smile:
It is impossible to teach anatomy now, but whatever u think ur using is not the brain, if u or ur ancestors did, u wouldn't be where u r now.

Ok, its official, you have lost it. :haha: And if its so hard to type in your super-cool iPod which obviously, only you have access to ( we poor souls have only second hand 1984 Macs which I bought in the yard sale :haha:) dont type, who asked you to continue typing :haha:
unless ur joking u have some serious complex, get some help, good night.

And btw, reg. your " That was all banter" theory, sorry mate, doesnt cut. If you do it once, or maybe twice its banter. Dozens and dozens of repeated references doesnt mean "Banter". Its reflects what you think about those people. And to your ultra-innocent " I only respond to trolls" idea, do you want me to bump your innumerable posts where you have gone on your usual diatribe against Aussies, even when they were no trolls around. :haha:

unless ur joking u have some serious complex' date=' get some help, good night.[/quote'] Here comes the " Mr. Oh-I-have-an-iPod-And-I-type-at-1am" guy... :haha: And how are your fingers your highness ? Hope they arent too hard on the all-too-precious iPod that you are so proud of owning, that too at 1 am in the night ! :haha:

I think Gavaskar started well and has written few very good points which had made me angry at the Australian and English media media as well, but somehow he become too angry to lose a bit of perspective here: His article could have done without the above point. But all in all I agree with him and am happy that at least there is someone to expose the hypocrisy of Australian and English media. In fact Gavaskar has been doing it since a long time. I remember some of his articles in '99-00 when India had put up a shameful show in Australia. Of course much of the ire was directed at the spineless performance of the Indians but Gavaskar never failed to highlight some of the lop sided Australian views there too.
Chandan You are spot on but having followed him for decades now I can observe and at the same time vouch for SMG's going overboard as a deliberate ploy

MM' date= Anakin, Suraj, Donny, Can we start posting our views on the article alone?
Sorry Chandan, I didnt start a thing. If you feel I was directly responsible for the degradation of this thread, feel free to hand me an infraction.

Here comes the " Mr. Oh-I-have-an-iPod-And-type-at-1am" guy... :haha: And how are your fingers your highness ? Hope they arent too hard on the all-too-precious iPod that you are so proud of owning, that too at 1 am in the night ! :haha:
you do really need help maybe emigrate to Australia and be treated like a scond class southie Indian you will love that life worshipping your white masters

you do really need help maybe emigrate to Australia and be treated like a scond class southie Indian you will love that life worshipping your white masters
:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: The Mask is finally off. :haha:

Here comes the " Mr. Oh-I-have-an-iPod-And-I-type-at-1am" guy... :haha: And how are your fingers your highness ? Hope they arent too hard on the all-too-precious iPod that you are so proud of owning, that too at 1 am in the night ! :haha:
Thanks for displaying ur superb comprehension ability, why do I even bother, it is indeed my mistake.

Thanks for displaying ur superb comprehension ability' date=' why do I even bother, it is indeed my mistake.[/quote'] Thats what I said, Dont bother. :haha:

"Once again, it is a misplaced belief that they are the only ones with honesty, integrity and have the welfare of the game at heart, while the 'sub-continentals' do not. "Every controversy in international cricket has shown that no country has the monopoly on honesty and integrity, and so should not be looking down upon others. "Still, it is a habit that is hard to get over, and so it is anathema to think that those who were the ruled can one day become the rulers."
Really superb stuff by Sunny. He regularly confronts the sterotypes and racism in cricket. MM take note, you maybe happy with the staus quo but things are changing and changing for thr better.

If u keep on claiming grassed catches or keep on bowling beamers it is not an accident anymore, it is cheating
By the same standards, Sachin is a cheat, for he was caught on LIVE TV tampering with the ball...same with Dravid and we all know about Azhar, Mongia, Prabhakar,etc. and the fact that they were absolute cheats...sorry, but i think India fans should show a bit of moderation accusing other teams of being cheats when their own record with cheating is so spotty.. It is also well known that the mecca of matchfixing is India and Dubai..... Oh and another thing Anakin, your comments such as :
It is impossible to teach anatomy now, but whatever u think ur using is not the brain, if u or ur ancestors did, u wouldn't be where u r now.
is quite indicative of how racist you are.
MM take note, you maybe happy with the staus quo but things are changing and changing for thr better.
India and BCCI assuming the role of ECB/CA of the pre 90s is not 'change for the better', its basically swapping out one bunch of racist jerks for another, really. Oh and lastly, Gavaskar has a massive chip on his shoulder regarding white nations, simply due to the fact that he sucked against white nations- his record against England is mediocre, his record against NZ is mediocre and he only dominated Australia when they fielded their third class bowling attack lacking Lillee-Thommo and/or a an over-the-hill 80-85mph Thommo only. It is also noted in several biographies/autobiographies that Gavaskar isn't really rated as highly as Boycott/Barry Richards, because not only did he chicken out of playing county cricket for most of his career or WSC, he never really dominated an awesome pace attack except against the west Indies in one series in India in 1983/84 i believe. I am not commenting about Gavaskar's ability as an opener, which i think is top-notch, but on the fact that he holds a grudge against the 'white' teams coz he was mediocre against them by and large and never got the recognition a Viv Richards, Barry Richards, Graeme Pollock, Greg Chappell, etc. got. He is also an insanely racist git from what i can tell- he can't actually give a single categoric evidence that these 'white nations' have screwed with us in the past- the only thing he can say is how their umpiring was terribly biassed, but then he conviniently forgets the fact that the most biassed umpiring India has faced in the days of home umpires is in Pakistan. Ofcourse, this is because it will throw a spanner into his 'white conspiracy' diatribe. As for his point about ' its so-bad when the nominated ICC chief is an Indian to these whiteys but its okay when OZ has 2 top officials' diatribe, Sunny is speaking directly from his rear end. Its not the fact that brown nations cannot safeguard the better interests of cricket, for none of the sources he quoted criticised a Pakistani or Sri Lankan chief. however, its a very basic and common sense related fact that when the largest and overwhelmingly dominant market also controls the regulatory body in an international sport, there is no checks-n-balances to ensure fairplay. Right now, the executive powers of Aussie-led board is contrasted with BCCI's pure dadagiri 'dollar' power and more or less, this power struggle can balance itself out....but with a desi chief of ICC ?!? Sorry, but thats like giving the BCCI license to do whatever the f*ck they want. Infact, given Indian cricketers' record with cheating, its corrupt politicians and its corrupt board-members who don't even know the ABCD of fiscal management, i myself don't want a BCCI official to be in the ICC post. Because one thing is certain- Dalmiya apart, each and every single desi honcho of BCCI has been a total ninny and are nowhere as qualified as Speed and his buddies in managing a corporation. Powar, Bindra etc. have zero qualifications in this regard compared to Speed and i'd hate to see these nincompoops further sully India's reputation and ruin the game of cricket just because it suits some jingoistic guys with an inferiority complex to see a desi at office in ICC.

Breaking news MM classified as supertroll of the year begging others to ignore him/her/it
No, not really. Try "One of the most well informed and passionate posters, who cares to make a convincing argument for the POVs he puts forward, rather than resorting to one liners or insults directed at a particular community". Your "Southie" comment was way out, BTW. You should apologise.

What a rubbish post by CC! Sunny chickened out of county cricket:hysterical:Yeah but he was brave enough to play test cricket. Typical love of the gora and buying in to their cr#p by you actually thinking county cricket is better then tests. Faced and tamed the lethal windies attack, but you claim is scared of county cricket. He averages over 50 as well against the aussies which you have tried to spin. So actually he batterd them, so no idea why you claim he did so poor against the WHITE nations. O and so what Boycott and Barry dont rate him. Richards for one never played against India so he can STFU. Why do you value their opinon so highly. Is it cos they are white? Quote me from their autobiographies that they dont rate him please!

Sunny chickened out of county cricket
And isnt that a fact! He refused to play much county cricket despite repeated requests to him to play! I don't find it a coincidence, given that most county attacks back in the 70s and 80s boasted of bowling quality several pegs higher than domestic cricket in India or even Indian test team!
Typical love of the gora and buying in to their cr#p by you actually thinking county cricket is better then tests.
no, i never said that, i said that i find Sunny's refusal to play county cricket, plus his mediocre record against the gora teams leading to the fact that he isnt rated very highly by gora nations being the main reason for his gripe.
Faced and tamed the lethal windies attack,
In only one series did SunnyG face a fearsome WI attack,that too on far deader indian pitches in 83-84. He bombed spectacularly, getting a ton only on the flattest pitch in the WI (Guyana), on a rain-affected, foregone conclusion of draw in the only other time he played against a fearsome WI attack in their backyard. In all other series, he faced a pretty mediocre WI attack that he beat to a pulp ( one great and rest no-namers like WI of 71 & 78-79 against newbies such as Marshall and Garner, who were debutants and nowhere close to being great bowlers). His record against the WI, as crickinfo once showed, is massively overrated, a bit like Dravid's record against Australia, where except for basically one series, he's been a total failure against McWarne.
He averages over 50 as well against the aussies which you have tried to spin.
Not spin, its a fact that Gavaskar did exceedinly poorly in matches where Lillee-Thommo both played and the only scored heavily when either both were missing or Thommo in 79,when he was far past his fastest best.
O and so what Boycott and Barry dont rate him.
You read that incorrectly- i have found, in several WI, English,Aussie,Kiwi,etc. biographies/autobiographies where Boycott & barry were rated higher than Gavaskar by the authors, who themselves are/were test level players.
Is it cos they are white?
This kind of speculation only exposes your own inferiority complex and chip-on-shoulder attitude, nothing more. You will find that these views on Gavaskar are held by the likes of Lillee,Holding, Boyc, Roberts, etc- nothing 'white' about the group.

ya ..they r scared of indians.indians have performed well throught down under series..bt it has been unfair to ganguly..he is sitting out..there wasnt any good opening partnership in whole one day series ..so we need ganguly as aan opener..

Where does Gavaskar's preferance for spending time with his family instead of participating in some county cricket come from, while discussing his column which is largely directed to western media--so biased that even insane persons could see/read it? Where does Gavaskar's record against WI come here? Where does any other person praising him or rubbishing him in his autobiography come from while discussing a column which is highlighting the thinkings that have been there for some time in Australian and English media? WHY CAN'T YOU DISCUSS THE ISSUES RAISED IN THE COLUMN??????

@CC, thanks for comparing apples to coconuts, not even oranges and making them the same and it's not the first time. I don't wanna get into arguments with you because I know it'll go on for 100s of pages. That was a jab in response to his jab at me, and if you look at it without just a shred of ultra pcness you'll see the funny side of it. If you don't, it's my bad. BTW, next time anyone quotes me, please bump up the thread, you'll see, at least, these oz comments were either in response to trolls, or the ultimate professional behavior by the trio of honesty integrity and sportsmanship displayed in the last tour down under. But of course, I'm racist and so is Sunny. This kind of sickening ultra pcness made me stop posting before as well. Good bye everyone, it's been fun. Hope team India keeps of getting better.

WHY CAN'T YOU DISCUSS THE ISSUES RAISED IN THE COLUMN??????
Umm..I DID! refer to this:
As for his point about ' its so-bad when the nominated ICC chief is an Indian to these whiteys but its okay when OZ has 2 top officials' diatribe, Sunny is speaking directly from his rear end. Its not the fact that brown nations cannot safeguard the better interests of cricket, for none of the sources he quoted criticised a Pakistani or Sri Lankan chief. however, its a very basic and common sense related fact that when the largest and overwhelmingly dominant market also controls the regulatory body in an international sport, there is no checks-n-balances to ensure fairplay. Right now, the executive powers of Aussie-led board is contrasted with BCCI's pure dadagiri 'dollar' power and more or less, this power struggle can balance itself out....but with a desi chief of ICC ?!? Sorry, but thats like giving the BCCI license to do whatever the f*ck they want. Infact, given Indian cricketers' record with cheating, its corrupt politicians and its corrupt board-members who don't even know the ABCD of fiscal management, i myself don't want a BCCI official to be in the ICC post. Because one thing is certain- Dalmiya apart, each and every single desi honcho of BCCI has been a total ninny and are nowhere as qualified as Speed and his buddies in managing a corporation. Powar, Bindra etc. have zero qualifications in this regard compared to Speed and i'd hate to see these nincompoops further sully India's reputation and ruin the game of cricket just because it suits some jingoistic guys with an inferiority complex to see a desi at office in ICC.
Now,whichever way you look at it, one FACT emerges as clear as daylight: ACB administrators and Malcolm Speed are FAR more qualified and have a FAR better track record of running their sports program, which is far more corruption free, far better organized and far better managed. Now, apart from Dalmiya,name me ONE, just ONE BCCI official that can match Malcolm Speed or other ACB administrators' resume. Give me one reason-just ONE- apart from paranoid 'ooh they are racist' cr@p, based on how CA is run and performs compared to BCCI, why should an Indian sit on the ICC throne and not an Aussie..

C'mon Avi, you know better than to take these kind of jibes personally. What happened to returning fire with fire?:D I personally feel, people who quit and run are implicitly admitting that they have lost the argument. If you can't be bothered to rebut, just ignore them. But saying goodbye is not consonant with the ethos of this forum, which allows free speech just short of outright abuse, and therefore takes away one of the main reasons why people give up, which is big brother censorship.

I will give you a name LALIT MODI. Now STFU! It needed an INDIAN in Dalmiya to transform the ICC and now another INDIAN is transforming world cricket. Get this guy in charge of the ICC, he will take it even higher then from when the last indian took the ICC. What the hell has your man Speed done apart from maintain the old staus quo! CC your adulation of all things white is sad and clearly is a result of spending to much time in the west. You need to take a long hard look at yourself and your hero worship of the gora.

As for his point about ' its so-bad when the nominated ICC chief is an Indian to these whiteys but its okay when OZ has 2 top officials' diatribe, Sunny is speaking directly from his rear end.
Umm.. why? Its a fact that we had Malcom Gray and Malcom Speed as ICC President and ICC CEO respectively in 2002.
Its not the fact that brown nations cannot safeguard the better interests of cricket, for none of the sources he quoted criticised a Pakistani or Sri Lankan chief. however, its a very basic and common sense related fact that when the largest and overwhelmingly dominant market also controls the regulatory body in an international sport, there is no checks-n-balances to ensure fairplay.
And how can you say that Pawar and Bindra would not have done a better job that the two Malcoms? And if it was not for India, no white nation could have been able to safeguard the interest of cricket because the game might have been sidelined enough due to lack of revenue. And what you say as the highlighted part is correct.
Right now, the executive powers of Aussie-led board is contrasted with BCCI's pure dadagiri 'dollar' power and more or less, this power struggle can balance itself out....but with a desi chief of ICC ?!? Sorry, but thats like giving the BCCI license to do whatever the f*ck they want. Infact, given Indian cricketers' record with cheating, its corrupt politicians and its corrupt board-members who don't even know the ABCD of fiscal management, i myself don't want a BCCI official to be in the ICC post.
And you're talking as if corruption is there only in India!! It is a well known fact that apart from giving the test recognition to Bangladesh, Dalmiya had done a fantastic job when he was the ICC President. No president has got as much success AS YET in ICC.
Because one thing is certain- Dalmiya apart, each and every single desi honcho of BCCI has been a total ninny and are nowhere as qualified as Speed and his buddies in managing a corporation. Powar, Bindra etc. have zero qualifications in this regard compared to Speed and i'd hate to see these nincompoops further sully India's reputation and ruin the game of cricket just because it suits some jingoistic guys with an inferiority complex to see a desi at office in ICC
What job has Speed done is for all of us see. He has been an abject failure, be it handling the issues of umpiring, taking a proactive step in the introduction of technology or dealing with utter dire state of Zimbabwe cricket. The terrible failure of 2007 WC was another feather in his so called "failure cap". In fact I can't remember anything of note that Speed has achieved during his tenure. Pawar otherwise also didn't have a competition from Speed because Pawar is already the President elect for 2010. But Bindra could have been ably replaced him because if you do not know, Bindra is a retired IAS officer and has handled many such posts in the govt of India successfully during his service period. His job is reflected in the way PCB is run, the way Mohali has the the best facilities available and the way PCB has its own website--all very professional. So I have no reason to believe that Bindra would have done badly as ICC CEO and certainly he would not have done as badly as Speed. Hence I disagree with almost your entire post!

No, not really. Try "One of the most well informed and passionate posters, who cares to make a convincing argument for the POVs he puts forward, rather than resorting to one liners or insults directed at a particular community". Your "Southie" comment was way out, BTW. You should apologise.
Calling a South Indian a southie is an insult- wow I am really dealing with some sensitive souls here Mr Dhondy go and apologize to everyone you have ever called a North Indian, a south Indian, an Indian, a Britisher, an Aussie................................. once you are done let me know and I'll think about why this is abusive anyway I didn't think anyone here needs nannies to come and take care of them so why don't you discuss rather than defend individual posters- I am not here to try and win your approval

Suraj, you wrote this, directed towards MM:

I think that's a pretty derogatory post, firstly in its tone, and secondly, why "Southie", why not just Indian? You are obviously taking a pop at his Southern origins. Listen, we are a fun loving lot here, and don't mind scraps, but stereotyping of any sort is strictly a no-no. I'd understand if MM called you similar stuff, as it takes two to tango, but he has been as gentlemanly as ever, and did no such thing. I'd urge you to follow his lead. I'm just letting you know- you come across as a pretty aggressive and abrasive poster. While we value your custom and don't want to lose you, if it puts off people like Sriram from posting here, I know who I'd choose. So, yes, you don't need my approval, but you need to follow the same rules that others do, to stop this place from degenerating into xenophobic, parochial slangfest.

Suraj, you wrote this, directed towards MM: I think that's a pretty derogatory post, firstly in its tone, and secondly, why "Southie", why not just Indian? You are obviously taking a pop at his Southern origins. Listen, we are a fun loving lot here, and don't mind scraps, but stereotyping of any sort is strictly a no-no. I'd understand if MM called you similar stuff, as it takes two to tango, but he has been as gentlemanly as ever, and did no such thing. I'd urge you to follow his lead. I'm just letting you know- you come across as a pretty aggressive and abrasive poster. While we value your custom and don't want to lose you, if it puts off people like Sriram from posting here, I know who I'd choose. So, yes, you don't need my approval, but you need to follow the same rules that others do, to stop this place from degenerating into xenophobic, parochial slangfest.
Dhondy When I have some more time I will explain that the "southie" word was not used in a derogatory manner or taking a pop at MM's origins; in fact I don't even use stereotypes like Aussie convicts etc if you go over my posts And if you are threatening about getting me out of the forum- I don't give 2 hoots about that; I have bigger achievements in life than trying to confirm to the mentality of some ppl on an online forum

And if you are threatening about getting me out of the forum- I don't give 2 hoots about that; I have bigger achievements in life than trying to confirm to the mentality of some ppl on an online forum
Don't take this as some kind of ego clash, Suraj. If I came to your house, your website or your party, you'd expect me to follow a certain etiquette, wouldn't you? A reasonable code of conduct that you feel is appropriate? I am simply asking you to do the same. Of course, you don't care if you are banned- it's just a cricket website, for goodness sake! But we'd like you to carry on and enjoy yourself, as long as you don't breach that unwritten etiquette. As for what you meant, I can't judge that for obvious reasons because I don't know you, so I can only go by what you wrote.

By the same standards, Sachin is a cheat, for he was caught on LIVE TV tampering with the ball...same with Dravid and we all know about Azhar, Mongia, Prabhakar,etc. and the fact that they were absolute cheats...sorry, but i think India fans should show a bit of moderation accusing other teams of being cheats when their own record with cheating is so spotty.. It is also well known that the mecca of matchfixing is India and Dubai.....
Tendulkar was cleared of the accusation, Dravid and all other players mentioned in your post were punished in one way or the other. What has Lee got for repeatedly bowling beamers and why does only one ball "slip" from his hand in a match? Is it because bowling it the second time will disbar him from bowling further in the match? What punishment have Clarke, Symonds, Ponting got for repeatedly claiming grassed catches? What punishment did Symonds get for calling Harbhajan a homosexual and instigating a war of words?
Oh and lastly, Gavaskar has a massive chip on his shoulder regarding white nations, simply due to the fact that he sucked against white nations- his record against England is mediocre, his record against NZ is mediocre and he only dominated Australia when they fielded their third class bowling attack lacking Lillee-Thommo and/or a an over-the-hill 80-85mph Thommo only. It is also noted in several biographies/autobiographies that Gavaskar isn't really rated as highly as Boycott/Barry Richards, because not only did he chicken out of playing county cricket for most of his career or WSC, he never really dominated an awesome pace attack except against the west Indies in one series in India in 1983/84 i believe.
This is a laughable theory. Now we have how someone did against "white" nations theory. Chicken out of playing in county cricket? WSC? Please give me a break.

I say...CC has got some funky theories from left field man...I recall a "white man - vampire" theory of sorts sometime back...whatever you think of his theories, you have to give it to the man...he is certainly creative.

Avi, you are over reacting here. If there are some people who are PC then there are also others who give resounding rebuttal to the PC ones. There is an incredible mix of people here and PCness is certainly not a forum policy.

Don't take this as some kind of ego clash, Suraj. If I came to your house, your website or your party, you'd expect me to follow a certain etiquette, wouldn't you? A reasonable code of conduct that you feel is appropriate? I am simply asking you to do the same. Of course, you don't care if you are banned- it's just a cricket website, for goodness sake! But we'd like you to carry on and enjoy yourself, as long as you don't breach that unwritten etiquette. As for what you meant, I can't judge that for obvious reasons because I don't know you, so I can only go by what you wrote.
Dhondy, The only reason the word southie appeared in the post was because I was reading the thread and MM's post at the same time http://www.indiancricketfans.com/showpost.php?p=366162&postcount=5 And the only reason I decided to take on MM was because of his attack one SMG's credentials and history vs what he was saying in this article of his. While your concerns about stereotyping are understandable, I don't think your bias towards one member vs the other as a mod/admin can be appreciated- if MM is such a good debator he can surely fight his own battles and if someone is going to be a contrarion but then threaten to stop posting because other members refute the points then that is not the problem of other members. There are no ego clashes here and if you notice my posts- although aggressive are targeted towards the content of the individual posts rather than the poster himself for example I might totally agree & even compliment MM on another thread based on a post. The whole "ignore me" approach on an online forum is sissy and pansie & I refuse to follow it.

Avi' date=' you are over reacting here. If there are some people who are PC then there are also others who give resounding rebuttal to the PC ones. There is an incredible mix of people here and PCness is certainly not a forum policy.[/quote'] First of all, I take strong exception to someone branding me 'PC', coz I am anything but. Asking someone ( and lets avoid names ) to NOT be racist, NOT brand an entire country and its people with unpleasant objectives and stereotyping them with all sorts of negative attributes is not being 'PC', its being fair, open-minded with an objective point of view. Yea, I have taken objection to various people and their posts in the past, but if someone can point me out to a SINGLE post of mine, where I have been wrong and blindly supported one group just because I wanted to be ' Politically correct' , then I shall readily accept I am wrong. The fact of the matter is, there are umpteen posts on this very same board where I have openly criticized various acts by Australians ( like Michael Clarke and his bump ball acts), but people conveniently decide to ignore that and brand me 'PC' just I am against branding an entire group of people as something based on a few individuals. My only problem is, I take a message board and my activities in it waaaaay too seriously. I come across stereotyping and discrimination based on it, everyday, both in my real life and in this MB. And being a brown guy myself and that fact my own people have been subject to discrimination and mocking based on a thing as trivial as a skin color in the past, I try to stay away from such tendencies as much as I can. I have never been subject to discrimination based on color or class myself, but I understand how painful it can be, which is exactly the reason I dont want me, or for that matter, anyone I know, to succumb to such tendencies. The only difference is that, in my actual real life, I dont tend to voice my opinion so strongly coz I have seen that if I am frank and truthful ( which is actually a good thing ) people dont like it. Maybe, just maybe, the anonymity of a message board gives me the message board gives me the license to bit a more bit more liberal in voicing what i think about people and their opinions. From now on, I shall stop doing that too and do what I do in real life, which is to stay silent and laugh withing myself. If anyone chooses to be Ignorant and racist, its their problem and I pity them. As far as Anakin and me goes, we have a history of confrontation between us, esp with reg. his comments on Australians. I suppose things crossed a tipping point last night. I certainly dont want to be the reason why one of the senior members of board leaves it. But one thing I can confidently say, vis-a-vis this thread, is that even at the heights of the heated discussion, I didnt get personal or insulting. At the most, I can be cuttingly sarcastic or mocking and thats as far as I will ever go. Ana, If you are reading this, and I am sure will, at some point of time, I hope you come back. There's nothing personal between the two of us, atleast on my side. And finally ( and I know this is getting a bit boring), Suraj has been on my 'case' for a while now. Leave alone his reaction to my comments SMG, he has been making provocative posts directed at me for quite a while now, which I have, as usual, chosen to ignore, for the most part. But his post on me being South Indian and what followed that is possibly the most shocking evidence of an Indian mocking at another fellow Indian based on his place of birth. He has tried to work his way around those comments by offering various convoluted explanations that quite frankly, dont make much sense at all. But, I leave it to everyone's judgment to infer whatever you want to from that post. Atleast, Doc certainly thought it was way out of place.

@ MM I have not been on your case- if you are talking about being sarcastic I have done the same to others too like CC, fineleg etc based on some of the posts I had told you this before that I don't respond to the poster but rather the posts so don't know why you get offended- as for the southie comment I simply fail to understand why you won't accept the explanation My comment was clearly about being treated as second class by Aussies- how would being a South Indian or North Indian matter to them???- it would have been simpler to just say Indian instead of southie Indian as Dhondy pointed out but I stand by my reason of why that came about without the intention of trying to be derogatory. The thread should be split so Gavaskar's article can be discussed

First of all, I take strong exception to someone branding me 'PC', coz I am anything but. Asking someone ( and lets avoid names ) to NOT be racist, NOT brand an entire country and its people with unpleasant objectives and stereotyping them with all sorts of negative attributes is not being 'PC', its being fair, open-minded with an objective point of view.
Okay, before I get involved in this Iraq war, let me say in my comment I meant PC as Avi would perceive it. I have not given my list of PC/non PC people............yet.:D

This smacks of reverse-racism by Sunny. How can he keep making such statements and still be on the ICC payroll? Isnt that a conflict of interest? I remember how he had suggested Mike Procter was a racist and then was suitably chided by ICC bigwigs and went belly up on his statement, so what has changed now?? He seems to be a loose canon inside ICC. If he wants to make such statements he should resign and then utter whatever he wants to.

Apart from a few things here and there, Gavaskar is absolutely spot on in judging the westen media. And what do we know about his ICC job? Is he paid for that? If not, apart from doing his duty which is chairing the technical committee, he can take on anyone he thinks is wrong as a media person himself, for which he is hansomely paid. BTW, can anyone point out what they find wrong in the present column of Gavaskar?

And what do we know about his ICC job? Is he paid for that? If not, apart from doing his duty which is chairing the technical committee, he can take on anyone he thinks is wrong as a media person himself, for which he is hansomely paid. BTW, can anyone point out what they find wrong in the present column of Gavaskar?
That is a rather strange argument there. So Sunil Gavaskar should keep shut if he is paid, and he should be allow to utter garbage(or wisdom be as it may) if he is not?? In other words his ability to speak should be inversly propotional to the money he makes off ICC?? I hope you see the fallacy of your argument there. As for his comments on this whole "Dinosaur" issue, isnt he just repeating himself again and again?? What is new in his diatribe? That the Aussies/English associations had veto-power?? When was that last used?? Frankly what is sensical about this article at all?? xxx

Sunny is talking sense. He keeps repeating it, as someone has to stick up for the brownies. ICC are to##ers and need sunny so there is change. An example of this is bias umpiring which cost us test series in oz and the fact india has no umpires on this so called elite panel. Without people like sunny the status quo will remain

Apart from a few things here and there, Gavaskar is absolutely spot on in judging the westen media. And what do we know about his ICC job? Is he paid for that? If not, apart from doing his duty which is chairing the technical committee, he can take on anyone he thinks is wrong as a media person himself, for which he is hansomely paid. BTW, can anyone point out what they find wrong in the present column of Gavaskar?
Exactly my point Chandan!!! This is what Gavaskar says: "As soon as Mr Bindra’s name was announced,there were a flurry of articles in England and Australia that giving him the job would put too much power in India’s hands, as Mr Pawar was going to be President of the ICC in 2010. The ICC CEO was to be given a three-year contract, which could be renewed of course, but it was only in the final year of his contract that there could have been two Indians at the helm of the ICC. Those worried of the prospect of India’s hegemony were conveniently forgetting that only a few years back, there were two Australians at the top of the ICC. Malcolm Gray as President and Malcolm Speed as the CEO, but there were no fears about Australia ruling the game then. Why is it that these writers have no qualms about similar situations when it concerns their own countrymen, but are quick to raise a hue and cry when it is from India or the sub-continent? " I will not repost the article but SMG criticizes the British and Aussie media heads on. He goes on to question why the double standards & no hue and cry by the media when 2 Aussies were at the helm?? Next thing folks like MM bring in SMG being useless, his history blah blah blah!!! For an educated poster that MM is as proclaimed by some I don't see the link here. Then folks like Lurker criticize SMG for reverse racism. Have MM & Lurker read British and Aussie papers to even understand what SMG is talking about here?? Do they even know that SMG has booked a room at Lords for the celebration of teh silver jubilee of Indian WC win? Conflict of interest???- SMG is serving in ICC and criticising the British and Aussie media; since when does holding office in ICC mean you cannot talk against the British and Aussie media; last I checked there are cricket boards that are members of ICC and that too more than English and Aussie ones. SMG is rightly pointing out to the stupid media there to get over the fact that "good old colonial times" are over- and for stating this fact the "Mr fair and balanced" MM ripped him apart. I am sorry but I accuse MM of reverse bias against SMG now.