Pant reminds me of Jayasuriya and Gilchrist

zen

In a way, Pant reminds me of Jayasuriya and Gilchrist, the type of players whose LOI career averages are not high but they can create a huge impact to become players who are "more than their stats". Top teams have players with different skills in their 11 and Pant brings the power hitting element to the table. 

I don't think he should work towards becoming a Kohli or a Dhoni, but look to create his own space, which is of a player who comes to the crease to play attacking and game changing cricket :ahaa:

15 minutes ago, Cricwala said:

At this stage of his career, a kaluwitharna comparison is more apt. pant has a high ceiling, but he needs a patient captain to handle him at this early stage of his career. So i wld bench him from LOIs while Kohli is captain.

Pant has played 16 ODIs intermittently though .... and he has not even opened, which others did and where he could potentially be more dangerous esp. on flat pitches, yet 

Edited by zen
13 minutes ago, Vilander said:

Dhawan is slowly declining, he is now probably lesser than KLR and at some point he will be lesser than Pant. 

The guy just put up 2 back to back clutch innings.  Today's game his contribution was vital in a must-win game.  And you are ready for his funeral already.  Fandom is so fickle.  

For T20s, KL should open ahead of him.  But for ODIs, he's still gun.

2 minutes ago, sandeep said:

The guy just put up 2 back to back clutch innings.  Today's game his contribution was vital in a must-win game.  And you are ready for his funeral already.  Fandom is so fickle.  

For T20s, KL should open ahead of him.  But for ODIs, he's still gun.

lesser but still good, he is declining there is no denying that though.  

59 minutes ago, Cricwala said:

At this stage of his career, a kaluwitharna comparison is more apt. pant has a high ceiling, but he needs a patient captain to handle him at this early stage of his career. So i wld bench him from LOIs while Kohli is captain.

Gilli and Jayasuria ?? that's a bit too much, hype machine in action. 

2 minutes ago, Cricspin said:

Hell No.. Pant can score quick runs but he is not Scary.  Gilly and Jaya were absolutely dominating and intimidating before T20 were the norm. There days batting at 100 SR is no biggie and too many people are able to play at Pant strike rate.  Not saying Pant cant go on to have a good career or even have a better strike rate but  Gilly and Jaya.. Not for me.

Note that Jaya debuted in '89 and achieved fame in '96 .... Pant has played only 16 ODIs (and that too intermittently) 

If Pant can be an impact player in the mold of Jaya, Gilly (debuted at 25,  avg <30 in his first  10 games or so), Klusener, etc., it will be good for Ind! 

3 minutes ago, velu said:

i started watching cricket at the wrong time .. jeyasurya use to murder our bowlers for fun :(( 

poor prasad & co

that was not a good phase for watching cricket for Ind fans .... Jaya even hit a 300 in tests vs us :fear1:

One of the consolations was that he even smashed teams like Pak, which had an attack that consisted of many of its ATG bowlers :hysterical:

Edited by zen

Once more the theory of playing natural game is put forth..

A player has to have the capability to play as the situation demands..at 5 or 6, his primary role is to be a finisher....he may need to power hit or play the gaps based on conditions..above all he needs to read the situation and optimise the Indian score accordingly..Dhoni ofcourse is past his prime but he was one of the smartest cricketer with such limited ability and stroke play.