Kartik Tyagi

vice

Finally, caught up on the u19 matches and at first glance Kartik Tyagi looked impressive.  What impressed me the most was the bowling action, pretty technically sound.  Pace wise, with such an action, he'd be able to operate in the high 130s to low 140s on average.  From what little I've seen, has a good bouncer and the ability to swing.   Height seems alright as well for a pacer. Decent prospect for a u19 bowler.   

Others can chime in. 

2GsOZeE.jpg

fSfhUJe.jpg

4ZdIOau.jpg

St1FkYt.png

RVUHF9r.jpg

01TC8fN.jpg

L1yO42D.jpg

iuoYdqJ.jpg

gl3AgZx.jpg

dYH03Q7.jpg

Haven't had the time to analyze the other bowler Akash Singh yet  

Wow, great prospect, hope his work load and fitness will be better managed proper;y and he will not go through those injuries which Mavi and Nagarkoti faced.  Also, I hope he will not end up some "coach" who would try to "improve" his action. His action and run up is classic and does not need any alteration. He just need to play more FC games. 

Edited by First class

Tyagi comes across as a pacer with a wide range of skills even at age 19. I have seen him bowl atleast 5 diffetent types of deliveries rather effectively.

1)  The outswinging channel ball.

2)  The hit the deck length ball that bounces extra and seams in or out.

3)  The quick yorker.

4)  The quick stump directed indipper

5)  The proper bouncer or rib directed ball.

...  Pace ... 135 k to 146 k ... lots of 140 k to 146 k balls ... very quick for a U19 pacer.

...  Bounce and Height ... Tall ... around 6'2" or 6'1" ... hits the deck hard and gets bounce. Gets some balls to rear up sharply.

...  Movement ... Outswing ... seam movement both ways

...  Accuracy ... Good at times ... sprays the ball when he loses rhythm 

...  Run up and action ... Very athletic run up, reminds me of Brett Lee. Strong action.  Seems to have a bit of hyper-extension. Good news.

The only issue I have noticed so far is that he does not run in well at times, loses both rhythm and drops pace and accuracy. But he rectified it quickly too.

This issue is rather common among youngsters. He will improve this issue as he plays more.

In a nutshell ... a very exciting fast bowling prospect. Combines genuine pace and bounce with skills 

He needs to figure out the right length. I think bowls too many overpitched deliveries. I would have been ok if they were playing in Eng/Nz but in SA needs to find the right length.

It looks very glamorous as a bowler when u-19 kiddies with no technique keep getting bowled on full pitched deliveries.

He is obviously young,Has pace but need to see more.

Both Mavi and Nagarkotti made me us sit and watch. To some extent even Khaleel and Avesh previously but I don't like writing off an 18 year old but I feel something missing here.

6 minutes ago, Global.Baba said:

He needs to figure out the right length. I think bowls too many overpitched deliveries. I would have been ok if they were playing in Eng/Nz but in SA needs to find the right length.

It looks very glamorous as a bowler when u-19 kiddies with no technique keep getting bowled on full pitched deliveries.

He is obviously young,Has pace but need to see more.

Both Mavi and Nagarkotti made me us sit and watch. To some extent even Khaleel and Avesh previously but I don't like writing off an 18 year old but I feel something missing here.

Great, i like your views. Hope you won't change them.

13 minutes ago, Global.Baba said:

The pitches in SA have more bounce. 

Good pacers target the top of off stump.

In order to do it in SA, pacers have to pitch the ball up a bit more. The Indian perfect length would result in the ball going over the stumps.

In an attempt to find the right length in SA and hit the stumps ... a young and inexperienced Asian pacer may overpitch at times.

But the fact that he understands that he needs to pitch the ball up a bit more in SA ... and he is trying to do so ... is a very good sign for me. Some errors are inevitable for such young kids. 

I have nothing but patience for these kids.

1 minute ago, express bowling said:

The pitches in SA have more bounce. 

Good pacers target the top of off stump.

In order to do it in SA, pacers have to pitch the ball up a bit more. The Indian perfect length would result in the ball going over the stumps.

In an attempt to find the right length in SA and hit the stumps ... a young and inexperienced Asian pacer may overpitch at times.

But the fact that he understands that he needs to pitch the ball up a bit more in SA ... and he is trying to do so ... is a very good sign for me. Some errors are inevitable for such young kids. 

I have nothing but patience for these kids.

Fair point

We do not know some of the tactics may be specific to some opposing teams in this WC. I thought India used lot of short stuff against SL . 

My initial thought was they are over doing it , but as match went on it was clear SL batsmen were not comfortable when ball was aimed at body but were at ease when it was pitched  up or on length . They were playing good shots .  Best case study was Rashantha . In hindsight now looks like a planned strategy.  They may continue the same tactic against Asian teams .

Interesting to see their lengths to AUS , WI , ENG  teams . That will tell us their skill sets with  other lengths and the problems they pose.

Thing to like about Akaash - ability to swing the ball in to RH , saw some balls moving in even in his 2nd spell  i think vs japan.

I have not seen such in dippers among young  lefties recently  . In addition bowls every ball with maximum effort and gets good bounce .

Can turnout better than Khaleel based on skill sets on view , unless some coach will try to make him a swing bowler. 

47 minutes ago, Malcolm Merlyn said:

That knee collapses a bit before delivery.

Is that hyper extension in his elbow?

Sent from my HD1901 using Tapatalk

Yeah the knee is not braced 100% during delivery...I guess that's why his pace is a bit up and down. But a lovely action - pivot, delivery stride and use of the non-bowling arms. Haven't had the chance to see his wrist and seam position yet (but going by UP's track record,I would assume it's alright). The action seems very repeatable and stress-free.

Don't think he has an hyper extension.  

25 minutes ago, Pandya_Power said:

Yeah the knee is not braced 100% during delivery...I guess that's why his pace is a bit up and down. But a lovely action - pivot, delivery stride and use of the non-bowling arms. Haven't had the chance to see his wrist and seam position yet (but going by UP's track record,I would assume it's alright). The action seems very repeatable and stress-free.

Don't think he has an hyper extension.  

Some hyperextension is visible in this pics in op.

1 hour ago, sarchasm said:

I daresay Kartik has a smoother run up and a more refined load up and release than the trio from the class of 2018 - Porel, Nagarkoti and Mavi. Less at risk of injuries.

Koti was the best for me, the run up and the action.  His built is just too slight to be an express pacer which is the biggest worry i have for him. Mavi isn't big but looks to have a strong physique, thicker bone structure. Kartik has mix of both good actio-runup and good physical attributes.

1 hour ago, sarchasm said:

I daresay Kartik has a smoother run up and a more refined load up and release than the trio from the class of 2018 - Porel, Nagarkoti and Mavi. Less at risk of injuries.

Both those guys looked like world class athletes even while fielding. They could hold the bat too, in fact in another team under a better management they would have been fast tracked.  Now too bad they have injury issues and the NCA is a circus. That is a different debate.

Tyagi looks a wonderful prospect but still raw.

Those 2 guys looked ready. That is the difference.