Favorite books (Fiction)

zen

Making a list is harder than what I originally thought. Maybe I will go with those that I can possibly read multiple times. 

The one that immediately comes to my mind is Candide by Voltaire 

Will list the other 4 as the names begin to flash in my mind 

Since I am a big 007 fan, have put one (if not more) of those in. Among 007 novels, there are quite a few options but will go with On Her Majesty's Secret Service by Ian Fleming. Enjoyed the audiobook narrated by David Tennant. 

Ok, Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut's name just popped up in my mind as a beautifully written book .... it is great so will add it to the list 

Three so far (in no particular order):

• Candide by Voltaire 
  • On Her Majesty's Secret Service by Ian Fleming
  • Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut 

Two to go :nervous:

Edited by zen

I don't own this book and read it a long time ago but it has stayed with me subconsciously. And I always feel like wanting to read this graphic novel again, so will give it a spot:

The Maus by Art Spiegelman 

The four in no particular order:

• Candide by Voltaire 
  • On Her Majesty's Secret Service by Ian Fleming
  • Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut 
  • The Maus by Art Spiegelman 

One more to go .... which one will it be :om:

Edited by zen

22 minutes ago, cowboysfan said:

Catch 22

Dune

Lolita

slaughterhouse-five

these are off the top of my head,i used to love reading but i have time now which is  a shame.

the list is supposed to be dynamic so it can change when you read a new book and if it is good enough to find a space in your top 5 

Edited by zen

3 hours ago, cowboysfan said:

i would have probably added Words of radiance-stormlight archive book 2 but it is supposed to be 9 books,it is probably the best fantasy series ever.

Correction: It's going to be a ten books series. 

Also Oathbringer was probably one of the best fantasy books I have read. 

23 minutes ago, cowboysfan said:

loved oathbringer,bought the audio book too to help listen in the car to finish it as quickly as possible.

Ah so like a true Alethi man you would rather listen then read :P 

Also book 4 should be out this year. The draft has been finished by Brandon. 

2 hours ago, Vijy said:

yes, indeed. the same also for martin, although I reckon that even if he did write something it won't measure up to his first 3 ASOIAF books.

Readers and critics alike lambasted a feast for crows but I personally enjoyed it whether it be Cersie's intrigues to dominate the court politics or Jaime's riverlands campaign which saw his character arc take a significant leap from it's earlier villainous shadow. 

Pity that Martin entered into a permanent sorts of writer's block. A decent ending to the books would have given some closure to the fans who had been simmering with anger after witnessing the last year debacle of GOT. 

17 hours ago, Stradlater said:

Readers and critics alike lambasted a feast for crows but I personally enjoyed it whether it be Cersie's intrigues to dominate the court politics or Jaime's riverlands campaign which saw his character arc take a significant leap from it's earlier villainous shadow. 

Pity that Martin entered into a permanent sorts of writer's block. A decent ending to the books would have given some closure to the fans who had been simmering with anger after witnessing the last year debacle of GOT. 

there were parts I liked from books 4 and 5 but the original trio were my favs. I agree with what you said regd writer's block, etc

I used to read a lot. Sometimes, if the book were interesting, I would read till 4-5 in the morning and show up red eyed to work. Frederick Forsyth, Jeffrey Archer, Ken Follett, John Grisham, Dan Brown, Michael Connelly, Harlan Coben, James Siegel, Mario Puzo(Godfather. I thought the book was better than the movie) were some of the authors whose work I remember the most as having enjoyed reading.  Of late, I read about 8-10 books in the Jack Reacher series. Reacher is even more badass than our Bollywood heroes! He dispenses justice in his own style - eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth. The most recent book I completed is The Power of the Dog by Don Winslow. The writing style is a bit quirky and might even seem annoying at first, but the material in the story is top notch. If you are interested in knowing how the war on drugs is played out, you will love the book. I can recommend the following as good reads -  The Da Vinci Code, Angels and Demons, The Odessa File, The Power of the Dog, The Client, Derailed, All we ever wanted was Everything. 

7 minutes ago, nevada said:

I used to read a lot. Sometimes, if the book were interesting, I would read till 4-5 in the morning and show up red eyed to work. Frederick Forsyth, Jeffrey Archer, Ken Follett, John Grisham, Dan Brown, Michael Connelly, Harlan Coben, James Siegel, Mario Puzo(Godfather. I thought the book was better than the movie) were some of the authors whose work I remember the most as having enjoyed reading.  Of late, I read about 8-10 books in the Jack Reacher series. Reacher is even more badass than our Bollywood heroes! He dispenses justice in his own style - eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth. The most recent book I completed is The Power of the Dog by Don Winslow. The writing style is a bit quirky and might even seem annoying at first, but the material in the story is top notch. If you are interested in knowing how the war on drugs is played out, you will love the book. I can recommend the following as good reads -  The Da Vinci Code, Angels and Demons, The Odessa File, The Power of the Dog, The Client, Derailed, All we ever wanted was Everything. 

I read Da Vinci Code, Angels and Demons, a long time ago, and still remember those. We may see the 10th anniversary edition launched :dontknow: .... Many of the other books on your list, I read when I was in school/college .... yet to read Reacher 

So what are your favorite 5?