NATIONAL DEBT INCREASED BY $3 TRILLION DURING DONALD TRUMP'S THREE YEARS AS PRESIDENT

Alam_dar

Candidate Trump, 2016: "We’ve got to get rid of the $19 trillion in debt…I think I could do it fairly quickly…I would say over a period of eight years."

President Trump, 2020: "Who the hell cares about the budget? We’re going to have a country."

I don’t exactly know what Trump means by "we’re going to have a country", but I do know that the national debt has risen by 16 percent since he took office. That’s largely thanks to his massive tax cut for the wealthy and corporations, which added a hefty $1.8 trillion to the debt and most certainly did not "pay for itself". Now that the debt is spiraling out of control, Trump and Republicans in Congress are crowing for cuts to Medicare and Social Security while promising another round of tax cuts for their billionaire donors. I can’t say I’m surprised: this has been the Republican playbook for decades.

Robert Reich

https://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-national-debt-increase-3-trillion-first-three-years-presidency-1483660?fbclid=IwAR0MH5n3g7NLpotUinkEyAVk_mEGchLz5Cfxze19ltSspfEY1iBiSvhUThY

NATIONAL DEBT INCREASED BY $3 TRILLION DURING DONALD TRUMP'S THREE YEARS AS PRESIDENT