The Mumbai PAV. Why no other bakery can replicate it ?

rangeelaraja

Who else is fascinated by the Mumbai Pav ? Why isn't such appetizing PAV/bread made anywhere else in India. Not even in adjoining Pune.

Ok, it is whitebread, it is 'unhealthy'. But taste wise - if you are looking for bread to have along with chai - nothing in the world comes close to the Mumbai Pav with Amul butter. 

What is so special about the Mumbai Pav, that no part of India is able to replicate it ??

6 hours ago, beetle said:

Most pavs are freshly baked everyday unlike packed bread.

Freshly baked with butter usually tastes good.

On a side note, wada pav is the most over rated street food.

I lived in mumbai for over a decade and can count the number of times I tried  Wada pav  . Just not a big fan of Mumbai street food , right from dosas to Pizzas all taste the same , even wada pav these days is ruined by stuffing 100 other things into it . People dont appreciate authentic food in Mumbai .  

9 hours ago, rangeelaraja said:

Who else is fascinated by the Mumbai Pav ? Why isn't such appetizing PAV/bread made anywhere else in India. Not even in adjoining Pune.

Ok, it is whitebread, it is 'unhealthy'. But taste wise - if you are looking for bread to have along with chai - nothing in the world comes close to the Mumbai Pav with Amul butter. 

What is so special about the Mumbai Pav, that no part of India is able to replicate it ??

you get that in goa , but i guess its not popular in rest of India 

3 hours ago, jusarrived said:

you get that in goa , but i guess its not popular in rest of India 

I have had a pav straight from the oven in Goa. The kind that they sell in baskets on cycles early in the morning.

This was a really old run down bakery making very basic pav with very basic ingredients. It is made fresh and sold fresh to people for breakfast . Since it has no oil as ingredient...it becomes hard by the afternoon.

11 hours ago, beetle said:

Most pavs are freshly baked everyday unlike packed bread.

Freshly baked with butter usually tastes good.

On a side note, wada pav is the most over rated street food.

@beetle

If you understand how gastronomy works ..the combination of the delicious and spicy batata vada with the right mix of batter and potato, when combined with chilly garlic chutney with a coconut base and all this spice neutralized by a soft fresh bun ...is something that produces enormous taste ..it makes perfect sense as a gastronomic combination.  If you find it over rated, it is an issue with your taste buds...or you have not had vada pav at the right places. :winky:

1 hour ago, beetle said:

I have had a pav straight from the oven in Goa. The kind that they sell in baskets on cycles early in the morning.

This was a really old run down bakery making very basic pav with very basic ingredients. It is made fresh and sold fresh to people for breakfast . Since it has no oil as ingredient...it becomes hard by the afternoon.

I had those in restaurants though . you tried poee in goa ? it goes very will with their local curries , not sure if you are a non-vegetarian if so even better ;) 

3 hours ago, Cricketics said:

As much as I agree that it is over rated compared to other street foods, being a Indian food fan in general, I still love Vada Pav. I can have it every day with chai. I would love to go Mumbai on my next trip and try all the popular ones out there. 

Ashok vada pav in Prabhadevi , was right next to my office . The guy was very popular .

That stale one tastes great with chai

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk