U19 Australian players on social media [QF]

Rasgulla

4 hours ago, rahulrulezz said:

Exactly. You can call someone racist, but you don’t have to be racist while doing that. This posters in this thread have used words like ‘convicts’, ‘criminals’, ‘goras’ which wasn’t required. 

Convicts, criminals aren't racist words.

They are having fun at the age where most are around 18 years of age, around High school age. Nothing racist about it. Most high schoolers around the world love making fun of each other at that age. Some are even bullies.   Its all fun and games.  No need to feel offended every time. 

The good old saying is. really true "The more you feel teased or offended by something, the more people will continue to tease you."

Just laugh it out sometimes. 

Honestly, jokes on us that we make these kids speak in English, a language which only 5% of Indians are comfortable with, if that.

We have unnecessarily made an association between English speaking ability and upward mobility. Why can't these kids be allowed to speak in tamil, hindi, marathi etc? Just use subtitles to convey meaning to others. It's our colonized elite which has created this self-perpetuating notion that not being able to speak in English makes you 'backward'. Once we get over this mindset, we will find that using native languages like hindi, tamil, bengali etc allows people to express better, learn complex subjects more easily, be more inventive, and it will be liberating for indian society as a whole. And then we will be able to sit back and laugh at this juvenile mocking of Indian accents or broken English, as the rest of the non-English speaking world does. You think Chinese, Spanish, Russians, Japanese would give a rats a** if they were mocked like this? Well, they probably wouldn't be asking a young kid like Jaiswal to strain himself to speak in a foreign language like that in the first place

PS - all of the above does not expiate the obvious racism Of many Australians. Their cricket team on a tour to india in 1979 used to throw coins from hotel room and then poured water on poor people who had gathered to collect the coins..an incident narrated with glee by Allan Border in his autobiography. An Australian cricket writer mentioned how players on a later tour would prod people sleeping on railway platforms with their feet. We know the kind of racist crap crowds shout at touring players, yet we invite thugs like ponting etc to earn crores in IPL...So again, joke's on us.

Edited by Cricwala

I don't care about this issue much .... but the habit/custom of using "Sir"  (some folks have even modified that to "Sirjee") after almost every sentence needs to be controlled. Also observed that habit in the interview of Pant, where he uses "sir" like "ummm" .... Try to use "Sir" for important people like the PM. Using it for just about everyone loses its importance too 

Edited by zen
1 hour ago, zen said:

I don't care about this issue much .... but the habit/custom of using "Sir"  (some folks have even modified that to "Sirjee") after almost every sentence needs to be controlled. Also observed that habit in the interview of Pant, where he uses "sir" like "ummm" .... Try to use "Sir" for important people like the PM. Using it for just about everyone loses its importance too 

Well at times you meet a little older person who is too young to be called bhai or might get offended if you call them uncle. Obviously in India we don't have a habit of calling someone with  Mr. or Ms.. It is either Sir or Madam. I am ok with usage of Sir as long as it doesn't seem patronizing.

Indians mock each other for their poor English and nobody bats an eye. Indians are mocked by foreigners for their poor English and everyone goes crazy.

In fact, people on this site even mock Pakistani players for their English during interviews, yet they feel offended if a foreigner does it to one of our players. People need to pick a side and stick with it.

1 hour ago, TNAmarkFromIndia said:

Indians mock each other for their poor English and nobody bats an eye. Indians are mocked by foreigners for their poor English and everyone goes crazy.

In fact, people on this site even mock Pakistani players for their English during interviews, yet they feel offended if a foreigner does it to one of our players. People need to pick a side and stick with it.

the other side of it is that aussie kids stupidly expect all indian ones to know their language.

I make it  a point in my work life to point out when i am having casual conversation with aussies and scott/brits etc that i have to make an effort to understand them as their accent is thick and not neutral enough and people from India get theirs to be neutral with effort, but when its a brit or a scott with one of their accents( esp the york accent) i add 'keep talking though i like hearing it a lot, its like music'.