Freddie Mercury

I6MTW

On 2/2/2020 at 2:40 PM, Nikhil_cric said:

Funnily enough, I'm more of a Brian may fan than a Freddie fan. I believe be was more influential in developing their sound. Great guitarist and writer/composer.

it was a remarkable collection of remarkable individuals that forged together a remarkable band.

I was introduced to Queen, in the mid 90s, by my Parsee friend. He was a huge, huge Freddie fan. He had posters in his room and all that stuff.

Thanks to him I have became a Queen fan too apart from other classic rock bands. I keep playing Queen from time to time in my house. Now both my wife and daughter love listening to Queen too.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Gollum said:

Was he ashamed of his Indian roots?

It wouldn't have been easy growing up as an Indian in Britain in the 1960s and 1970s. You can't blame him for downplaying them.

Or maybe because he was Parsi he thought himself as being above regular Indians and didn't consider himself Indian at all. I'm sure most Parsis today have at least 50% Indian blood, most of them look more Indian than Iranian.

I once worked with a so called Anglo Indian Christian man who said to me he wasn't Indian, he claimed most of his ancestry was British. This guy had darker skin than me! Now that is self hatred!

5 hours ago, Gollum said:

Was he ashamed of his Indian roots?

Not really. He was fond of indian music, admired Lata Mangeshkar etc. The reason he didn't really talk about his indian roots often, was because of the racism and social elements regarding his background. I do remember him stating in an interview once that the reason he was so energetic on stage was because of his Parsi roots and cultural upbringing. He never really felt the need to talk about his past, he was a shy person off stage. 

11 hours ago, Ranvir said:

Some of Queen's song are good but I always found them to be too theatrical and camp. I prefer Led Zeppelin.

Led Zeppelin is also nice. Stairway to Heaven is easily one of the best songs of all time.

The reason Queen was too theatrical sometimes is because they indulged in a genre called operatic rock. 

On 2/10/2020 at 10:08 PM, Stradlater said:

Jimmy Page Or Brian May? 

Haha when I was a teenager, us lads had endless debates about who was better - Page Vs may Vs Blackmore Vs Hendrix etc. Not that strongly opinionated anymore . Between the 2 I personally prefer Zeppelin's style of blues infused hard rock but Queen were the better band in terms of creativity , originality and live musicianship and May's parts were never overplayed , they simply fit the music perfectly. As much as I like led Zeppelin they lifted most of their music from other artists :P