zen

The greatest film ever made

39 minutes ago, Stradlater said:

Loved it. But IMO Unforgiven has to be the Eastwood's best work . Check out this scene. 

Clint Eastwood  directed this movie as well .. like this movie  , but Little dark and sad movie ..

watch the great silence , similar movie ..  another musical masterpiece as well 

@zen  thanks for the thread .. we are going to hijack  it :giggle:

Edited by velu

5 minutes ago, velu said:

Clint Eastwood  directed this movie as well .. like this movie  , but Little dark and sad movie ..

watch the great silence , similar movie ..  another musical masterpiece as well 

@zen  thanks for the thread .. we are going to hijack  it :giggle:

Have you seen Gran Torino? 

Eastwood was brilliant in it as well. 

15 minutes ago, velu said:

watch the great silence , similar movie ..  another musical masterpiece as wel

I forgot the name of the actor .... he has done some good films including and god created woman, z,  and the conformist, which has an excellent soundtrack:

PS the actor is Jean-Louis Trintignant

Edited by zen

4 minutes ago, vayuu1 said:

What about citizen kane, twice made it to the top of greatest Film ever made.

Yeah, Citizen Kane is highly rated by film magazines. Other such films include Vertigo and the Godfather. 

Lawrence of Arabia and 2001: A Space Odyssey though are like films designed for big big screen. Beautifully shot on 70mm, expertely edited, masterfully directed, and so on. Lawrence of Arabia also has a collection of great actors.

As Omar Sherif said: " If you are the man with the money and somebody comes to you and says he wants to make a film that’s four hours long, with no stars, and no women, and no love story, and not much action either, and he wants to spend a huge amount of money to go film it in the desert – what would you say?" :lol: 

5 minutes ago, Gollum said:

IMO GOAT is

Image result for schindlers list poster

Then again I will come up with a different name a few hours from now. 

That scene where Amon Goth one day wakes up in the morning, arrive in his balcony and starts randomly shooting the working Jews in camp with that characteristic nonchalant expression on his face as he silently revel in the monstrosity of his acts. 

Haunted me forever. 

At this point, I have gone with Lawrence of Arabia because the experience of watching it is breathtaking. Shot beautifully on 70mm (a big screen film), crisply edited (even though it is a long film), amazing soundtrack, pristine locations, and of course directed by David Lean

Another film that is similar in breadth and scope is Kubrick's:

You watch other great films and are obviously impressed. But watching films like these two is an experience that constantly amazes you with the magic infused through audio-visual tools by their makers. At the end, you wonder how did they achieve this (esp. in their time). Many film makers have tried to replicate these qualities but have not come close enough. 

Edited by zen

6 hours ago, Stradlater said:

That scene where Amon Goth one day wakes up in the morning, arrive in his balcony and starts randomly shooting the working Jews in camp with that characteristic nonchalant expression on his face as he silently revel in the monstrosity of his acts. 

Haunted me forever. 

Equally haunting

there are very few actors who can dominate Al Pacino in a scene, but this is exactly what happened here. John Cazale's portrayal of Fredo Corleone is one of the most underrated performances. He lets loose all the pent-up emotions he has bottled up inside ever since Michael was chosen to lead the family. You see all the pent-up anger burst out, yet at the same time he stays true to his character as the timid, weak older brother who never had the chops to be The Godfather. What an actor.

Edited by FischerTal

Saving Private Ryan. The last dialogue where Ryan who was saved by all those bastards who died ingloriously asks his wife to tell him ( he was a good man) he lived a full good life as he was told to 'earn this' by Tom hanks ( Miller) and the scene prior to that where the mortally wounded Miller (Tom Hanks) shoots at advancing tank with his last rounds in pistol still trying to live so that he can go home after saving private ryan and he hated/scared to be in war, fark what a movie man. Nothing comes close, reluctant heroes zenith.

Edited by Vilander

Scarface has to be one of the greatest remake ever, al Pacino as Tony Montana just killed, Ben hur  comes to my mind as one of the greatest period film, I said citizen Kane off course, god father has to be there,someone said saving private Ryan and shawshank redemption,as Far as thriller is concerned psycho has to be there, in animal horror it has to be  jaws,blood diamond is pretty underrated, so many classics in romance it's got to be gone with the wind, in sports genre it's raging bull and  rocky ,in technology  it's terminator, avatar.

9 hours ago, vayuu1 said:

Scarface has to be one of the greatest remake ever, al Pacino as Tony Montana just killed, Ben hur  comes to my mind as one of the greatest period film, I said citizen Kane off course, god father has to be there,someone said saving private Ryan and shawshank redemption,as Far as thriller is concerned psycho has to be there, in animal horror it has to be  jaws,blood diamond is pretty underrated, so many classics in romance it's got to be gone with the wind, in sports genre it's raging bull and  rocky ,in technology  it's terminator, avatar.

Al Pacino as Tony Montana is entertaining but overacting to almost Bollywood levels. He's been doing the same screaming and shouting ever since.

20 hours ago, zen said:

Repeat value can make a film a favorite but not necessarily greatest. For e.g. many of the Bond films are my most watched films ever 

Repeatable watching means that the film is great. That's why I picked Terminator 2 as one of my choices.

Some of these so called great 3 hour films are tough to just watch once.

7 minutes ago, Ranvir said:

Al Pacino as Tony Montana is entertaining but overacting to almost Bollywood levels. He's been doing the same screaming and shouting ever since.

You took the words out of my mouth. I found Scarface quite overrated with Pacino's bollywoodesque acting and the general overall tone of the film. 

Heat and Donnie Brasco are far better.

14 minutes ago, Ranvir said:

Repeatable watching means that the film is great. That's why I picked Terminator 2 as one of my choices.

Some of these so called great 3 hour films are tough to just watch once.

The greatest film of all time is determined by factors such as direction, editing, background score, acting, screenplay, its impact on other films/filmmakers, etc. 

As I said, this is not the most favorite film thread but greatest. Say there is a thread on the greatest actor, are we going to list SRK because we watched his movies like Badshah, Bazigaar, etc. more! 

Not just T2 but some of the other movies listed here as greatest makes me laugh! :lol: 

Edited by zen

2 minutes ago, zen said:

The greatest film of all time is determined by factors such as direction, editing, background score, acting, screenplay, its impact on other films/filmmakers, etc. 

T2 is not even going to win an Oscar for the best film and you have listed it as greatest because you can watch it more! :lol: 

Not just T2 but some of the other movies listed here as greatest makes me laugh! 

Shawshank redemption ticks all those boxes and adds repeat value.

In fact it is not an acquired taste like some of the other movies. Someone like a casual viewer From current gen  may find Godfather boring but I will bet you they will get hooked onto Shawshank the first time they watch it.

You can watch it for the 100th time and still be immersed in Andy’s journey 

46 minutes ago, zen said:

As I said, this is not the most favorite film thread but greatest. Say there is a thread on the greatest actor, are we going to list SRK because we watched his movies like Badshah, Bazigaar, etc. more! 

Not just T2 but some of the other movies listed here as greatest makes me laugh! :lol: 

T2 is considered a cinematic classic. Great storyline, brilliant soundtrack, revolutionary special effects, good acting.

I find it much better than average movies like The Shawshank Redemption. It's also better than the likes of the Lord of the Rings.

My favourite 'serious' movie is probably Goodfellas, infinitely better than the tedious Godfather.

2 minutes ago, Ranvir said:

T2 is considered a cinematic classic. Great storyline, brilliant soundtrack, revolutionary special effects, good acting.

I find it much better than average movies like The Shawshank Redemption. It's also better than the likes of the Lord of the Rings.

My favourite 'serious' movie is probably Goodfellas, infinitely better than the tedious Godfather.

T2 at best can be compared to movies like Avatar. A trend setter at that time in terms of technology and special effects.

I tried to watch Avatar again recently  and slept through half way in to the movie. It was that boring.

T2 I agree is a lot more fast paced and entertaining. It’s a trend setter but Arnold’s performance as iconic as it was feels Like a caricature much like Al Pacino in Scarface. 

There is a difference of being a trend setter and being a great movie that covers all aspects.

For example Jurassic park is obviously an iconic movie, how many performances do you remember apart from the Trex?

Shawshank is leagues ahead of T2 as a total package.

Lawrence of Arabia’s restored version is available in 4K on Netflix (movies get taken off on Netflix so see it while it is there). It is a long film so you may have to watch it in parts (like a series) if you do not have time! 

25 minutes ago, Ranvir said:

My concern was listing a film as greatest just because it is a favorite (and therefore can be watched more) for e.g. I can probably watch Coolie (it also has that Lawrence of Arabia inspired scene where Amitabh walks on the train) more than a Mugal-e-Azam or a Pakizaah or an Awaara or a Naya Daur but I rate these films higher than a Coolie

PS Coolie even has that paise vasool scene at the end where Amitabh is shot by Kadar Khan 

Edited by zen

11 minutes ago, zen said:

Lawrence of Arabia’s restored version is available in 4K on Netflix (movies get taken off on Netflix so see it while it is there). It is a long film so you may have to watch it in parts (like a series) if you do not have time! 

Hyped, last time I saw this movie, it was a huge boring snooze fest. 

Never possible to settle in on GOAT, be it movies or any sport (Bradman vs Viv, Maradona vs Pele, Federer vs Novak......). Usually there will multiple contenders and majority people will name one of them as the greatest. In movies we can come up with around 25 movies, easily when you include world cinema. 

4 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Hyped, last time I saw this movie, it was a huge boring snooze fest. 

That is not the movie's fault, it it? It has more to do with your taste. The movie has inspired many filmmakers, won tons of Oscars, and is unique. According to an estimate by Spielberg, it would take $285M to make it today