The greatest film ever made

zen

2 minutes ago, zen said:

The greatest film of all time is determined by factors such as direction, editing, background score, acting, screenplay, its impact on other films/filmmakers, etc. 

T2 is not even going to win an Oscar for the best film and you have listed it as greatest because you can watch it more! :lol: 

Not just T2 but some of the other movies listed here as greatest makes me laugh! 

Shawshank redemption ticks all those boxes and adds repeat value.

In fact it is not an acquired taste like some of the other movies. Someone like a casual viewer From current gen  may find Godfather boring but I will bet you they will get hooked onto Shawshank the first time they watch it.

You can watch it for the 100th time and still be immersed in Andy’s journey 

46 minutes ago, zen said:

The greatest film of all time is determined by factors such as direction, editing, background score, acting, screenplay, its impact on other films/filmmakers, etc. 

As I said, this is not the most favorite film thread but greatest. Say there is a thread on the greatest actor, are we going to list SRK because we watched his movies like Badshah, Bazigaar, etc. more! 

Not just T2 but some of the other movies listed here as greatest makes me laugh! :lol: 

T2 is considered a cinematic classic. Great storyline, brilliant soundtrack, revolutionary special effects, good acting.

I find it much better than average movies like The Shawshank Redemption. It's also better than the likes of the Lord of the Rings.

My favourite 'serious' movie is probably Goodfellas, infinitely better than the tedious Godfather.

2 minutes ago, Ranvir said:

T2 is considered a cinematic classic. Great storyline, brilliant soundtrack, revolutionary special effects, good acting.

I find it much better than average movies like The Shawshank Redemption. It's also better than the likes of the Lord of the Rings.

My favourite 'serious' movie is probably Goodfellas, infinitely better than the tedious Godfather.

T2 at best can be compared to movies like Avatar. A trend setter at that time in terms of technology and special effects.

I tried to watch Avatar again recently  and slept through half way in to the movie. It was that boring.

T2 I agree is a lot more fast paced and entertaining. It’s a trend setter but Arnold’s performance as iconic as it was feels Like a caricature much like Al Pacino in Scarface. 

There is a difference of being a trend setter and being a great movie that covers all aspects.

For example Jurassic park is obviously an iconic movie, how many performances do you remember apart from the Trex?

Shawshank is leagues ahead of T2 as a total package.

Lawrence of Arabia’s restored version is available in 4K on Netflix (movies get taken off on Netflix so see it while it is there). It is a long film so you may have to watch it in parts (like a series) if you do not have time! 

25 minutes ago, Ranvir said:

My concern was listing a film as greatest just because it is a favorite (and therefore can be watched more) for e.g. I can probably watch Coolie (it also has that Lawrence of Arabia inspired scene where Amitabh walks on the train) more than a Mugal-e-Azam or a Pakizaah or an Awaara or a Naya Daur but I rate these films higher than a Coolie

PS Coolie even has that paise vasool scene at the end where Amitabh is shot by Kadar Khan 

Edited by zen

11 minutes ago, zen said:

Lawrence of Arabia’s restored version is available in 4K on Netflix (movies get taken off on Netflix so see it while it is there). It is a long film so you may have to watch it in parts (like a series) if you do not have time! 

Hyped, last time I saw this movie, it was a huge boring snooze fest. 

Never possible to settle in on GOAT, be it movies or any sport (Bradman vs Viv, Maradona vs Pele, Federer vs Novak......). Usually there will multiple contenders and majority people will name one of them as the greatest. In movies we can come up with around 25 movies, easily when you include world cinema. 

4 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Hyped, last time I saw this movie, it was a huge boring snooze fest. 

That is not the movie's fault, it it? It has more to do with your taste. The movie has inspired many filmmakers, won tons of Oscars, and is unique. According to an estimate by Spielberg, it would take $285M to make it today 

Terninator 2

Sound of Music

Schindler's List

Shawshank

Godfather 2

One of David Lean's epics

The Dark Knight

Casablanca

Wall-E

Inception

Mad Max Fury Road

Life of Brian

List goes on and on, just the English ones. All different genre, how can one compare them, tomorrow can you compare a batsman with a spinner or keeper with a pace AR? . 

Edited by Gollum

2 minutes ago, zen said:

That is not the movie's fault, it it? It has more to do with your taste. The movie has inspired many filmmakers, won tons of Oscars, and is unique. According to an estimate by Spielberg, it would take $285M to make it today 

Not really, Dr. Zhivago is better, so it’s not my tastes only. Older Anna Karenina in B&W is better, just that the treatment and subject matter is not appealing

Just now, coffee_rules said:

Not really, Dr. Zhivago is better, so it’s not my tastes only. Older Anna Karenina in B&W is better, just that the treatment and subject matter is not appealing

Watch it again if you find time esp. on the biggest screen possible. The Bridge of River Kwai, Lawrence of Arabia, and Doctor Zhivago are all Lean's masterpieces. If you like B&W, check out his Great Expectations as well 

I am one of those who watches/watched films in every possible genre and languages including Japanese, Korean (even before Bollywood stated to copy from them), German, French, Italian, etc. Once you start to look at the nuances, films by guys like Lean, Kubrick and Hitchcock begin to stand out  

27 minutes ago, Gollum said:

List goes on and on, just the English ones. All different genre, how can one compare them, tomorrow can you compare a batsman with a spinner or keeper with a pace AR? . 

Magazines/experts (including directors) do look at various nuances to pick the greatest. BFI is among the respected ones to make such a list. Recently, it rated Vertigo (experts and critics evaluated films by looking at various factors including languages and challenge such as genre) as the greatest. It piped Citizen Kane: 

https://www.bfi.org.uk/news/50-greatest-films-all-time 

Edited by zen

25 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Terninator 2

Sound of Music

Schindler's List

Shawshank

Godfather 2

One of David Lean's epics

The Dark Knight

Casablanca

Wall-E

Inception

Mad Max Fury Road

Life of Brian

8 of the 12 ticked ,need to see the other 4 

59 minutes ago, Stradlater said:

Surprising that no one has mentioned Dr Strangelove . The best cold war era themed picture by far. 

Great film. But Kubrick’s own 2001 and Barry Lyndon are ranked higher on the “greatest” list in general 

8 minutes ago, zen said:

Great film. But Kubrick’s own 2001 and Barry Lyndon are ranked higher on the “greatest” list in general 

God 2001 was so slow and painful to watch. Don't get me wrong. I know it's supposed to be a classic with deep symbolism and sh!t but it somehow just didn't do that for me. 

IMO A clockwork orange was Kubrick's best work. A seminal piece of art. 

For me some filmmakers are darling of the elitist snobby artsy types that make  up like 3-4% and the rest of the folk which is the  remaining 95-96% don’t get it. That doesn’t make the remaining people idiots but questions the reach of the film maker.

For me Steven Spielberg is the greatest film maker ever. Not Hitchcock, Not Kubrick

You can watch ET,Jurassic Park,Jaws,Indiana Jones  with your entire family Including  kids and not get bored. That ticks the wholesome entertainment aspect that a lot of so called great film makers lack. Now is that the only benchmark?

Obviously not. The soundtrack and bgs of ET,Indiana Jones,Jaws and Jurassic Park are still iconic to this day. 

The guy brought dinosaurs to life, the guy made aliens lovable, the guy made us terrified of Sharks.

Camera work, stunts, story telling and script- top notch. the  guy made the  use CGI and graphics as a tool to enhance the story and not just a gimmick. 

They call Film making 24 crafts and you pick any Spielberg movie and every one of those crafts have been ground breaking. Eg: Make up in ET. 

Kubrick and Hitchcock are master film makers but they are darling of the art snobs.For me it has to be Spielberg.

Edited by Global.Baba