Who should open for India in 1st test?

Austin 3:!6

India test opener for NZ test  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who should open for India in 1st test in NZ?

• Shaw - Aggarwal
    • Shaw - Gill
    • Aggarwal - Gill
    • Aggarwal - Vihari
    • None of the above

Purely Gill over Shaw right now as he has made a bucket of runs already in NZ. Yesterday was an anomally. Really concerned about Indian players forms after coming back from injuries and suspensions, Shaw is keeping up that track record.

Either way we have a safety net of Pujara, Kohli, Rahane and Vihari to steady the ship and Pant ( if selected) to make some quick runs) if the openers fall cheaply.

Both Shaw and Mayank are not ideal for away tests. They failed in 3 ODIs and the tour matchi. Scoring 59 in 7 overs is not going to cut in tests. They need to play for time as well. I don’t think Shaw has that technique, Mayank has a double 100 in India. So deserves more chances. There are only 2 tests, so can’t take more chances. Mayank and Gill/Vihari for me. Ideally, they should have held back KL with his form. But, I’d rather have him play in KOs for my team Karnataka in the Ranjis. 

Personally, I would love to see Shaw & Gill opening and both given a long term job. No flip flop and change when and if Rohit Sharma is fit etc. TBH, Rohit has nothing to offer in test cricket and these 2 are future of Indian cricket. Wouldn't it be lovely to see two 20 year old immensely talented lad opening and KL Rahul as back up opener.

It will bit unfair ti Aggarwal agree but its ok.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

On 2/15/2020 at 7:56 PM, coffee_rules said:

Both Shaw and Mayank are not ideal for away tests. They failed in 3 ODIs and the tour matchi. Scoring 59 in 7 overs is not going to cut in tests. They need to play for time as well. I don’t think Shaw has that technique, Mayank has a double 100 in India. So deserves more chances. There are only 2 tests, so can’t take more chances. Mayank and Gill/Vihari for me. Ideally, they should have held back KL with his form. But, I’d rather have him play in KOs for my team Karnataka in the Ranjis. 

i strongly do not agree.

Shaw is a solid Attacking opener with a Solid test technique, any attacking opener can get out some times...he is very Special.

Mayank is very Solid..kinda Pujara like defence and now he has got a solution to his snicking to first slip problem ..so i see him very very Solid.

Gill is new but very talented...no issues at all.

pujara /vihari/virat .. no need to write about them.

10 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

Gill blew a fantastic chance.  His career is entirely in his hands. 

If a young player after scoring tons of runs in FC cricket across all levels is being judged on an one-off practice match, then the youngster is better left alone and should be allowed continue to flourish in non-international matches. If he's good pick him and give him a run of 10 Tests, if the team cannot do that, least they an do is not to destroy him. 

Also, if Gill is indeed 'awesome' as motormouth Shastri says, then question should be asked to him is why was Rohit and not Gill asked to open during the home season.

17 minutes ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

If a young player after scoring tons of runs in FC cricket across all levels is being judged on an one-off practice match, then the youngster is better left alone and should be allowed continue to flourish in non-international matches. If he's good pick him and give him a run of 10 Tests, if the team cannot do that, least they an do is not to destroy him. 

Also, if Gill is indeed 'awesome' as motormouth Shastri says, then question should be asked to him is why was Rohit and not Gill asked to open during the home season.

It is not about judging. He will get his due. But will be delayed because his competitors have done a tad better.  I agree Gill deserves a chance at home just like all the other FTBs got. Why is that they always try to introduce him in tougher conditions early on?  But he has to learn to make the runs when it really matters and when all the eyes are on him. He has a huge fan following already. He should work harder to take his game to next level. He should find a way to survive. Analyze each of his dismissal and try to eliminate next time around.  He is a better percentage cricketer than Shaw. 

On 2/16/2020 at 2:13 AM, Austin 3:!6 said:

Personally, I would love to see Shaw & Gill opening and both given a long term job. No flip flop and change when and if Rohit Sharma is fit etc. TBH, Rohit has nothing to offer in test cricket and these 2 are future of Indian cricket. Wouldn't it be lovely to see two 20 year old immensely talented lad opening and KL Rahul as back up opener.

It will bit unfair ti Aggarwal agree but its ok.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Agarwal has been brilliant for India in Tests.  On what basis does the TM drop him? Based on ODI format? There is no need to rush anyone into the Indian team to replace people who are performing. Changes for the sake of it should never happen in any team. Any change in the National squad should warrant one. I understand if Mayank was unfit or is being rested but when he is available he should be our first choice opener where ever we are playing unless he stops performing in this format.