Walking - health and fitness freaks get in

Real McCoy

@velu Today I walked for 1 hr and completed 6 kms. I checked the route on google. it said 1 hour and 15 minutes. So I'm walking faster than the average dude :proud:. You say you complete 5 kms in 30 minutes or so. How do you do it :shocked:. If you complete 12 kms everyday than it would take close to 2 hrs of your time. For others, this can be a motivation to lose weight, build muscle or stay healthy whatever. Need more motivational material in chit chat than the usual negativity

30 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

@velu Today I walked for 1 hr and completed 6 kms. I checked the route on google. it said 1 hour and 15 minutes. So I'm walking faster than the average dude :proud:. You say you complete 5 kms in 30 minutes or so. How do you do it :shocked:. If you complete 12 kms everyday than it would take close to 2 hrs of your time. For others, this can be a motivation to lose weight, build muscle or stay healthy whatever. Need more motivational material in chit chat than the usual negativity

I cover 3/4 kms of walk in other activities ..  going out for tea/coffee and going out for brunch 

Used to be a marathon runner. Took marathon running to such an extreme that my body produced excess cortisol levels which harmed my overall health.

Nowadays I go for long walks and maybe do little bit dumbbells for keeping upper body muscles healthy, no shredding and etc. Simple fitness.

I will get back to running once I regain my interest in it.

3 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

I did 12 km in 80 minutes but at this age I can't think of getting anywhere close to that. If one has played outdoor sports a lot then it's easily achievable what others can only think of.

13 hours ago, velu said:

I cover 3/4 kms of walk in other activities ..  going out for tea/coffee and going out for brunch 

Yeah. I do everything offline like pay electricity and phone bills, other errands, etc. I was used to the ease of online payment and doing things the "easy" way but I found it to be not so easy on my weight :cantstop:

10 hours ago, MechEng said:

Used to be a marathon runner. Took marathon running to such an extreme that my body produced excess cortisol levels which harmed my overall health.

Nowadays I go for long walks and maybe do little bit dumbbells for keeping upper body muscles healthy, no shredding and etc. Simple fitness.

I will get back to running once I regain my interest in it.

This is something I have experienced too. If you put too much stress, it wounds up back and hurts you. Cortisl reacts to the amount of stress and is responisble for fat storage. I guess like velu said skip a day or two and release that stress rather than working on it all the time. Plus you also save time and effort and less strain on the muscles and joints.

10 hours ago, velu said:

@Real McCoy  when i started , i felt tired after walking for  3/4 kms .. and got toe and knee pain if i continue for 4/5 days without any break days

now i usually walk for 4/5 days and usually skip 1 or two days per week .. genuinely feel my health is improved , never felt this after working out in gym

Same here. First my toes then knee. Once I got my knee pain, I stopped for 2 days to rethink my strategy. I'm now doing joint exercises as well (not all but just the knee) after watching healer bhaskar's videos :phehe:

10 hours ago, Straight Drive said:

I did 12 km in 80 minutes but at this age I can't think of getting anywhere close to that. If one has played outdoor sports a lot then it's easily achievable what others can only think of.

That's quite admirable. I played outdoors in my childhood but only street and park cricket. Cricket was not that intensive sport atleast back then. My dad's family has a history of walking. My grandpa used to walk from one village to a small town to buy/sell. Everyday! My dad walked in the city rather than take transportation.

3 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

Yeah. I do everything offline like pay electricity and phone bills, other errands, etc. I was used to the ease of online payment and doing things the "easy" way but I found it to be not so easy on my weight :cantstop:

This is something I have experienced too. If you put too much stress, it wounds up back and hurts you. Cortisl reacts to the amount of stress and is responisble for fat storage. I guess like velu said skip a day or two and release that stress rather than working on it all the time. Plus you also save time and effort and less strain on the muscles and joints.

Same here. First my toes then knee. Once I got my knee pain, I stopped for 2 days to rethink my strategy. I'm now doing joint exercises as well (not all but just the knee) after watching healer bhaskar's videos :phehe:

That's quite admirable. I played outdoors in my childhood but only street and park cricket. Cricket was not that intensive sport atleast back then. My dad's family has a history of walking. My grandpa used to walk from one village to a small town to buy/sell. Everyday! My dad walked in the city rather than take transportation.

The transport system in 70's was very lacking. Walking was the most common option. We used to play a lot of hockey, cricket and football. Walking anywhere upto 7 to 10 KMS in a stretch was a normal of those times. There were games like run and catch. The fellow who had to catch had to search for us in entire area of about 2 kms and we could hide in buildings or marshy trees or anywhere within such a long range. Imagine the plight of the catcher to catch around 20 odd people hiding anywhere so far away.

Edited by Straight Drive

1 hour ago, Straight Drive said:

The transport system in 70's was very lacking. Walking was the most common option. We used to play a lot of hockey, cricket and football. Walking anywhere upto 7 to 10 KMS in a stretch was a normal of those times. There were games like run and catch. The fellow who had to catch had to search for us in entire area of about 2 kms and we could hide in buildings or marshy trees or anywhere within such a long range. Imagine the plight of the catcher to catch around 20 odd people hiding anywhere so far away.

Try 40s :phehe: My dad grew up during that era. I don't know about my dad's sporting achievements. He was a good student first to finish BE from our village and he would walk like you said like its no big deal.

23 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

Try 40s :phehe: My dad grew up during that era. I don't know about my dad's sporting achievements. He was a good student first to finish BE from our village and he would walk like you said like its no big deal.

first engineer in my family ( + extended family )  :yess: