The end is nigh for Federer's playing career

Real McCoy

https://www.atptour.com/en/news/federer-right-knee-surgery-announcement

“My right knee has been bothering me for a little while,” Federer announced on Twitter. “I hoped it would go away, but after an examination, and discussion with my team, I decided to have arthroscopic surgery in Switzerland yesterday. After the procedure, the doctors confirmed that it was the right thing to have done and are very confident of a full recovery.

“As a result, I will unfortunately have to miss Dubai, Indian Wells, Bogota, Miami and the French Open. I am grateful for everyone’s support. I can’t wait to be back playing again soon, see you on the grass!”

:(( We should appreciate his every game regardless of whether he wins or loses. He will most probably finish with 20 GS and end up overtaken but he will always be the champ for me. I don't think he can come back from this and end up winning a few slams like he did in 17 and 18. He is 38 now and time wins all the time.

Yes, most probably so. The more time he takes off, the more he loses his chance of staying at the top contending. His match fitness will reduce, leading to rustiness. And there is just too many people who can beat him/give him a tough time now, for him to have a successful come back.

I guess this means, Connors most titles and match wins record is safe.  

Federer's ranking will also plummet to around 8-10 before grass season, and if he fails defend his grass points, he could very well be out of the top 10.

He will still be seeded in top 4 in Wimbledon because of their unique seeding system. In a way I am happy he is missing Sunshine Double and clay season. Early prep for grass, let's be honest his real chance these days is just on that surface. Hoping that Nadal and Nole physically/mentally destroy each other in the next 4 months. Wimbledon/Olympics/USO will be close to each other...hoping Fresherer gives it his all for these 3. Nole's main focus will be on Olympics, I am 100% sure after what transpired in 2016...Fed has to try to get the Wimbledon title. Let's be honest, if he is at 90%, he is better than the field on grass except Nole ofc. 

On 6/11/2020 at 12:04 PM, I6MTW said:

Let's see if the ATP season resumes this year. I don't think it's possible for USO to play, especially when players themselves are hesitant and dont want to play without crowds. 

Hate RG organizers so much, how dare they defy tradition plus wreck the calendar. 

4 hours ago, Gollum said:

Hate RG organizers so much, how dare they defy tradition plus wreck the calendar. 

RG, might be played without crowds. Plus players might be reluctant to play. If it happens, there's no guarantee tennis willr resume normally, a lot of players will be rusty, especially Nadal who hasn't touched a racquet for two months until recently, and he's been only practicing twice a week. There's no guarantee that he'd be ready until then. Both Djokovic and Nadal expressed dissatisfaction playing, they'll only play one of the two GS if it takes place. Thiem is the favourite for USO/RG if that happens . 

On 6/11/2020 at 11:09 AM, Gollum said:

The more I think about last year's Wimbledon final, more I want to tear my hair out :wall:

How can it happen so many times? As if USO 2010/11 SFs weren't enough, mental torture. 

Yeah, still feel bad about him not being able to hold serve and clinch the championship. So near and yet so far! 

On 6/11/2020 at 11:09 AM, Gollum said:

The more I think about last year's Wimbledon final, more I want to tear my hair out :wall:

How can it happen so many times? As if USO 2010/11 SFs weren't enough, mental torture. 

That loss will haunt Federer fans forever. A match to forget.

On 6/11/2020 at 11:07 AM, Gollum said:

@Real McCoy @I6MTW Fed could lose his GS record this year itself :fear1:

Nole and some other top players hesitant to play USO, Nadal won't miss this opportunity. 

Agree 2 consecutive slams for Nadal on the cards very much. 

Hope Nadal doesn't win another hard court slam.

Edited by kumar713

$**t decision by Nole to play French open and skipping US open, the rules are pretty harsh for players in US open though.

I doubt Nole will win another clay slam. His clay game has declined. In his peak he missed winning clay slams and I am really happy that he won in 2016. Wouldn't have won again had he missed that opportunity. So he should try to play US open and skip RG.

Edited by kumar713

17 minutes ago, kumar713 said:

$**t decision by Nole to play French open and skipping US open, the rules are pretty harsh for players in US open though.

I doubt Nole will win another clay slam. His clay game has declined. In his peak he missed winning clay slams and I am really happy that he won in 2016. Wouldn't have won again had he missed that opportunity. So he should try to play US open and skip RG.

USO hasn't been a happy hunting ground for him either. Shocking finals record.