What's ailing J Bumrah ?

SK_IH

Ever since his comeback, he seems to be struggling to pick up wickets. In last particular test I thought he didn't find the right length for NZ at all. And it was shocking considering he has been in NZ for last 1 month and has played all matches but still struggling for right length.

In recent past he has given the body language of a man who thinks it is ok to go for 50 runs in 10 overs. 

Now coming back to the nub of the issue. What's ailing him? What do you all think? All bowling experts @rkt.india @express bowling @Mosher @Rightarmfast

He does not pick wickets in a cluster,have build a reputation of being a difficult bowler for opposition bats,batsmen play him out without taking much risk ,he is neither a swing bowler to snatch wickets rather than batsmen giving him their wickets while going after him in initial overs when white ball does swing,he has decent variations,used to bowl yorkers with great control ,as an effort delivery he is refraining from those

To me he doesn't looks much motivated here either,maybe don't want to put pressure on his body for all important IPL coming up,i haven't seen him much in this tour ,if he is not running well,there maybe every chance of him carrying some kind of niggle,one cant rule out that

8 minutes ago, Suhaan said:

He does not pick wickets in a cluster,have build a reputation of being a difficult bowler for opposition bats,batsmen play him out without taking much risk ,he is neither a swing bowler to snatch wickets rather than batsmen giving him their wickets while going after him in initial overs when white ball does swing,he has decent variations,used to bowl yorkers with great control ,as an effort delivery he is refraining from those

To me he doesn't looks much motivated here either,maybe don't want to put pressure on his body for all important IPL coming up,i haven't seen him much in this tour ,if he is not running well,there maybe every chance of him carrying some kind of niggle,one cant rule out that

If he is not fully fit, then its just idiotic that he is being rushed back. We have already seen things exacerbating with Bhuvi.

If he is motivated for IPL instead of intl ckt ( I don't think that's the reason), then God save Indian cricket.

Am no bowling expert but he has clear been rushed from his injury. Needed at least 4-5 FC games, if not more, with 100-120 overs of bowling to get back to his rhythm for ODIs or Tests. Bowling 4 overs in T20s is no indication of being ready for Test match bowling.

In fact going by his speeds in the NZ 2nd innings today, I would not be surprised if he is declared unfit for the 2nd test. Better to rest than to risk another long term injury. His bowling potency was primarily due to a heavy shoulder thrust, with an injured back yet to heal fully, he clearly isn’t going all out like he earlier was.

21 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

If he is not fully fit, then its just idiotic that he is being rushed back. We have already seen things exacerbating with Bhuvi.

If he is motivated for IPL instead of intl ckt ( I don't think that's the reason), then God save Indian cricket.

Thats a bitter truth ,plays for the most powerful , influential franchise,that is enough for people to take note of things

Neither Bumrah nor Shami lost any pace. Their bowling style is not suitable here. You have to bowl a little slower and let the ball swing.  If you want blow the batsmen with pace you need to bowl at 150 clicks. In order to extract bounce they have to pitch very short as they are relatively shorter which often goes over the keeper. They are unable to get bounce from a good length like Ishant gets. Ishant is taller. Naturally he will get more bounce. Also they don't get movement as they bowl too fast and they are skiddier. You cannot get wickets that easily without movement.

Edited by vvvslaxman
1 hour ago, SK_IH said:

Ever since his comeback, he seems to be struggling to pick up wickets. In last particular test I thought he didn't find the right length for NZ at all. And it was shocking considering he has been in NZ for last 1 month and has played all matches but still struggling for right length.

In recent past he has given the body language of a man who thinks it is ok to go for 50 runs in 10 overs. 

Now coming back to the nub of the issue. What's ailing him? What do you all think? All bowling experts @rkt.india @express bowling @Mosher @Rightarmfast

Did not see enough of his bowling in this match. But whatever I saw he is not getting the kind of zip he used to get and his pace down too in the 2nd innings. I think he was rushed back. 

27 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

Neither Bumrah nor Shami lost any pace. Their bowling style is not suitable here. You have to bowl a little slower and let the ball swing.  If you want blow the batsmen with pace you need to bowl at 150 clicks. In order to extract bounce they have to pitch very short as they are relatively shorter which often goes over the keeper. They are unable to get bounce from a good length like Ishant gets. Ishant is taller. Naturally he will get more bounce. Also they don't get movement as they bowl too fast and they are skiddier. You cannot get wickets that easily without movement.

Did you see Shami bowling in ODIs in NZ last year? Was bowling 144-145, and generating huge swing and seam, looked almost unplayable 

not generating sufficient lateral movement with kookaburra ball. Among the three Ishant usually generates the most lateral movement with SG and Dukes and he managed to generate sufficient here as well. Bumrah had wrong length he did not york often did not bounce when he needed to etc , and Shami was a bit inaccurate. And i think their pace made them more hitable than NZ pacers who were taking pace off the ball. But one thing they could have tried doing is getting genuine pace when ever Bumrah tried that he created few chances but he did not sustain it.  

3 minutes ago, Vilander said:

i think he was trying pace off the ball, he produced 1 over that i saw all over 140 142 and created few chances and yorked etc but did not get wickets and went back to pace off ball. 

Bumrah bowled a few 127-130k deliveries towards the end of 1st innings too and those were seam up deliveries. Then went back to bowing 137-138. So don't know what's happening with him man, but he is not getting the zip he used to get. 

Just now, Mosher said:

Bumrah bowled a few 127-130k deliveries towards the end of 1st innings too and those were seam up deliveries. Then went back to bowing 137-138. So don't know what's happening with him man, but he is not getting the zip he used to get. 

kookaburra thats what happened. As always they needed some more tour games before 1st test.  

1 hour ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

Am no bowling expert but he has clear been rushed from his injury. Needed at least 4-5 FC games, if not more, with 100-120 overs of bowling to get back to his rhythm for ODIs or Tests. Bowling 4 overs in T20s is no indication of being ready for Test match bowling.

In fact going by his speeds in the NZ 2nd innings today, I would not be surprised if he is declared unfit for the 2nd test. Better to rest than to risk another long term injury. His bowling potency was primarily due to a heavy shoulder thrust, with an injured back yet to heal fully, he clearly isn’t going all out like he earlier was.

He had the option of playing for Gujarat in the Ranji trophy which was to be his comeback match. But the mandate from BCCI to reduce his workload meant that Gujarat looked elsewhere and he himself wanted to have the "smoother" SL t20s rather than the grind of 4 day cricket to prove his fitness. Add to that the decision of NCA to not perform his fitness test. It was shambolic all round.

1 hour ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

Did you see Shami bowling in ODIs in NZ last year? Was bowling 144-145, and generating huge swing and seam, looked almost unplayable 

Even here he was bowling at 140k more than any of the NZ bowler his average speed was higher. Difference was last time his inswinger was working to righties. This time he could hardly move.