Favorite Indian Test Batsmen

zen

There are more but limiting it to 3 (in the order of debut):

• Gavaskar. Initially was not a favorite. But then I saw the debacles of team Ind in SENA (bowled out for 100 and 66 in SA for e.g.) in the 90s to realize his importance. Probably only one from Ind who could confidently survive an AT11 attack of WI (Marshall-Ambrose-Garner-...), Aus (McGrath-Lillee-Warne-...), SA (Donald-Steyn-Procter-...), and NZ (Hadlee-Bond-...). 
  • Sehwag. Revolutionized the opening batting w/ his high SR innings.  Considered as a FTB, but has some great performances and/or 100s in SA, Eng, Aus, etc. Those Bradmanesque performances in Pak and SL are etched in fans' memories. One of the most impactful test openers ever.  
  • Pujara. I like attractive cricket but Pujara, who loves to defend more than attack, has climbed up the list due to his performances in Aus. I had heard about Gavaskar's legendary performance in WI but never seen something like this from an Ind batsman to win a series. His 100 in Eng earlier that year was special as well as he carried his bat through. With the tail, he played some of his most entertaining cricket. Considered as a FTB by many, but quite a few of his superb performances came when Ind had that aging batting line up. So once again was instrumental in helping Ind win at home too. 
Edited by zen

Virender Sehwag - Favourite player growing up, best player of spin ever. Great to watch. Noise of the bat very different to other players. Always positive intent.

Rohit Sharma (only scored 6 100's so far, but I believe he will do good things against Aus away and Eng at home in the next 2 test series). Great to watch. Should have been given the same backing that Pujara, Rahane received.

Mohamed Azharuddin - Great wrists, boundary hitter. Good to watch.

Players who could have been special but were not:

Yuvraj Singh, bit unlucky due strong batting line up. 

Vinod Kambli - Personal Issues

Suresh Raina - Short ball problem, had all the shots

Edited by Prabhdeep Singh
5 hours ago, Prabhdeep Singh said:

Virender Sehwag - Favourite player growing up, best player of spin ever. Great to watch. Noise of the bat very different to other players. Always positive intent.

I liked how Veeru used to get to a landmark (a century) with a 6 .... Tried to do that at Melbourne too when he was in the 190s 

Ones I watched:

1. Viru...GOAT entertainer

2. Sachin

3. VVS

One I wish I had watched live: Vishy...my dad and other elders can't stop talking about him, very famous among Eden old-timers, his 139 against WI in '75 evokes awe even today among them (esp one late cut 4 where nobody could sight the ball, Andy Roberts the bowler). Apparently no greater joy than watching him at full flight.