zen

Favorite Indian Test Batsmen

There are more but limiting it to 3 (in the order of debut):

• Gavaskar. Initially was not a favorite. But then I saw the debacles of team Ind in SENA (bowled out for 100 and 66 in SA for e.g.) in the 90s to realize his importance. Probably only one from Ind who could confidently survive an AT11 attack of WI (Marshall-Ambrose-Garner-...), Aus (McGrath-Lillee-Warne-...), SA (Donald-Steyn-Procter-...), and NZ (Hadlee-Bond-...). 
  • Sehwag. Revolutionized the opening batting w/ his high SR innings.  Considered as a FTB, but has some great performances and/or 100s in SA, Eng, Aus, etc. Those Bradmanesque performances in Pak and SL are etched in fans' memories. One of the most impactful test openers ever.  
  • Pujara. I like attractive cricket but Pujara, who loves to defend more than attack, has climbed up the list due to his performances in Aus. I had heard about Gavaskar's legendary performance in WI but never seen something like this from an Ind batsman to win a series. His 100 in Eng earlier that year was special as well as he carried his bat through. With the tail, he played some of his most entertaining cricket. Considered as a FTB by many, but quite a few of his superb performances came when Ind had that aging batting line up. So once again was instrumental in helping Ind win at home too. 
Edited by zen

Virender Sehwag - Favourite player growing up, best player of spin ever. Great to watch. Noise of the bat very different to other players. Always positive intent.

Rohit Sharma (only scored 6 100's so far, but I believe he will do good things against Aus away and Eng at home in the next 2 test series). Great to watch. Should have been given the same backing that Pujara, Rahane received.

Mohamed Azharuddin - Great wrists, boundary hitter. Good to watch.

Players who could have been special but were not:

Yuvraj Singh, bit unlucky due strong batting line up. 

Vinod Kambli - Personal Issues

Suresh Raina - Short ball problem, had all the shots

Edited by Prabhdeep Singh

5 hours ago, Prabhdeep Singh said:

Virender Sehwag - Favourite player growing up, best player of spin ever. Great to watch. Noise of the bat very different to other players. Always positive intent.

I liked how Veeru used to get to a landmark (a century) with a 6 .... Tried to do that at Melbourne too when he was in the 190s 

Ones I watched:

1. Viru...GOAT entertainer

2. Sachin

3. VVS

One I wish I had watched live: Vishy...my dad and other elders can't stop talking about him, very famous among Eden old-timers, his 139 against WI in '75 evokes awe even today among them (esp one late cut 4 where nobody could sight the ball, Andy Roberts the bowler). Apparently no greater joy than watching him at full flight. 

1 hour ago, Nikola said:

Dhoti outside asia.

That 2nd Innings 76* at Lords will be remembered which set up Indian series win in England :cheer: whereas 100's obsessed midget doesn't even have a Century at lords:phehe: Will Always be remembered as Anderson's bunny 

Edited by Rasgulla

10 minutes ago, Rasgulla said:

That 2nd Innings 76* at Lords will be remembered which set up Indian series win in England :cheer: whereas 100's obsessed midget doesn't even have a Century at lords:phehe: Will Always be remembered as Anderson's bunny 

I agree Tendulkar was anderson's bunny but then i checked other players and surprised to see bigger bunny down the list.

7cFsMbH.jpg

Sachin faced anderson when his downfall started where as thala was at peak of career. :hatsoff:

Edited by Nikola

On 2/26/2020 at 9:22 AM, Jimmy Cliff said:

Only idiots call Pujara an FTB.

Absolutely correct. He is one of the prime reasons we won in Australia. Folks are riled up that he occupied the crease for so long, but did not score much. Well, that is how he plays. Go watch his innings in Aus. That is how he scored his runs. He is boring and not exciting to watch, but he is the type of batsman I would keep in my team to occupy the crease and grind it out. It so happens, it did not work out last innings because of a mental error. WTF, did the others folks do? They could not even occupy the crease for long. I think Pujara should open. His job would be to delay loss of a wicket for as long as possible to frustrate the other side. If he scores big, then it is even better like what happened in Aus.

A FTB has no technique against the moving ball like Sehwag (although on STB he is the greatest batsman ever). Pujara has enough technique and grit to ride through touch periods. I do not think the fact that he plays 100 balls and scores 10 bothers him mentally. You need a batsman or two of this mentality in the team to avoid colllapses.

35 minutes ago, Audiophile said:

Absolutely correct. He is one of the prime reasons we won in Australia

One of the reasons that when Pujara scores and Ind does well is he can make it count with a big inning (cover up for others failures). Some of the others may score a good looking 50 that the commentators may praise but that is about it. They should be pushing themselves like Pujara to make it count when they are "in". Overseas, even though you have 11 players, not everyone is going to be consistent or effective in "away" conditions, therefore, those who find form have to try to score big. 

At Adelaide, for e.g., Pujara scored 123 when the next best score was 37. If he had scored a 60,  esp. if it were a good looking one that commentators praised, it would still be considered a good effort by many, but Pujara pushed himself to get a 100+ in that environment and cover for others. That is the difference b/w Pujara and some of the other batsmen. 

Edited by zen

38 minutes ago, Audiophile said:

Absolutely correct. He is one of the prime reasons we won in Australia. Folks are riled up that he occupied the crease for so long, but did not score much. Well, that is how he plays. Go watch his innings in Aus. That is how he scored his runs. He is boring and not exciting to watch, but he is the type of batsman I would keep in my team to occupy the crease and grind it out. It so happens, it did not work out last innings because of a mental error. WTF, did the others folks do? They could not even occupy the crease for long. I think Pujara should open. His job would be to delay loss of a wicket for as long as possible to frustrate the other side. If he scores big, then it is even better like what happened in Aus.

A FTB has no technique against the moving ball like Sehwag (although on STB he is the greatest batsman ever). Pujara has enough technique and grit to ride through touch periods. I do not think the fact that he plays 100 balls and scores 10 bothers him mentally. You need a batsman or two of this mentality in the team to avoid colllapses.

He is one of   the prime reasons as to  why we couldn't win a single series in SENA other than that AUS series as well. All these crease occupying means nothing if the scoreboard shows digital scores against your name.

21 minutes ago, rtmohanlal said:

He is one of   the prime reasons as to  why we couldn't win a single series in SENA other than that AUS series as well. All these crease occupying means nothing if the scoreboard shows digital scores against your name.

Yes buddy, the whole cricket world revolves around Pujara! If Pujara does well, Ind wins and vice versa. Even though, Ind has only won a handful of matches in SENA in its history, Pujara’s arrival made folks like you believe that Ind could win everything in SENA! Good to know that :dance:

Edited by zen

I will give full credit to pujara for his series winning effort in aus but other than that he has actually done nothing to make note of in almost whole decade overseas. He is one of the best batsman in world in test cricket but his performance in SENA Countries hasn't been that well. Only one great series to consider.

Let's look at stats since of 2013 SA tour where we started to tour in SENA country and Pujara/Kohli were our key batsman. 

HE4fDAl.jpg

5 Tons in almost 50 innings for such key player? and not to forget 3 of them came in one series (Aus 2018). He has failed in West Indies (seaming conditions) as well so if i include that his avg will go below 35. I won't call him FTB cause he has played some great knocks overseas but he has been bit inconsistent as well as per his standards. Rahane after his horrible second SENA Tour is still having better avg than pujara. The way our other batsman bat he should have no problems with his spot in test cricket for next couple of years though and if we look over last 7 years i think he is probably in top 3 or 4 batsman.

Edited by Nikola

31 minutes ago, Nikola said:

I will give full credit to pujara for his series winning effort in aus but other than that he has actually done nothing to make note of in almost whole decade overseas. He is one of the best batsman in world in test cricket but his performance in SENA Countries hasn't been that well. Only one great series to consider.

In his last 7 tests in SENA, Pujara avgs 60 w/ 4 100s. I don't know why would anyone complain about 2013 or whatever, when he has been playing for Ind despite whatever happened in the past and redeemed himself big time by giving Ind its first ever series win in Aus, which has been like climbing a mount everest for Asian teams (Pak hasn't won anything yet for example)

Pujara in his last 7 test (since his magnificent 100 in Eng):

iew overall figures [change view]
Primary team India remove India from query
Opposition team Australia remove Australia from query or England remove England from query or New Zealand remove New Zealand from query or South Africa remove South Africa from query
Home or away away (home of opposition) remove away (home of opposition) from query
Start of match date greater than or equal to 30 aug 2018 remove greater than or equal to 30 aug 2018 from query
Qualifications runs scored greater than or equal to 300 remove runs scored greater than or equal to 300 from query
Ordered by batting average (descending)
Page 1 of 1 Showing 1 - 4 of 4   First pageFirst Previous pagePrevious Next Next page Last Last page dblBakArwB.gifReturn to query menu
dblBakArwW.gifCleared query menu
Overall figures
Player Mat Inns NO Runs HS AveDescending BF SR 100 50 0 4s 6s  
CA Pujara 7 13 1 717 193 59.75 1756 40.83 4 1 2 72 2 investigate this query
RR Pant 7 13 1 531 159* 44.25 762 69.68 2 0 1 54 11 investigate this query
V Kohli 7 13 0 456 123 35.07 1006 45.32 1 2 2 50 1 investigate this query
AM Rahane 7 13 0 391 70 30.07 963 40.60 0 3 1 35

Not many care about 2013 or whatever, esp, when he is doing the above (but if worrying about 2013 keeps you busy by all means worry about it)  :winky:

Edited by zen

12 minutes ago, zen said:

In his last 7 tests in SENA, Pujara avgs 60 w/ 4 100s. I don't know why would anyone complain about 2013 or whatever, when he has been playing for Ind despite whatever happened in the past and redeemed himself big time by giving Ind its first ever series win in Aus, which has been like climbing a mount everest for Asian teams (Pak hasn't won anything yet for example)

Pujara in his last 7 test (since his magnificent 100 in Eng):

iew overall figures [change view]
Opposition team Australia remove Australia from query or England remove England from query or New Zealand remove New Zealand from query or South Africa remove South Africa from query
Home or away away (home of opposition) remove away (home of opposition) from query
Start of match date greater than or equal to 30 aug 2018 remove greater than or equal to 30 aug 2018 from query
Qualifications runs scored greater than or equal to 300 remove runs scored greater than or equal to 300 from query
Page 1 of 1 Showing 1 - 4 of 4   First pageFirst Previous pagePrevious Next Next page Last Last page dblBakArwB.gifReturn to query menu
Overall figures
Player Mat Inns NO Runs HS AveDescending BF SR 100 50 0 4s 6s  
CA Pujara 7 13 1 717 193 59.75 1756 40.83 4 1 2 72 2 investigate this query
RR Pant 7 13 1 531 159* 44.25 762 69.68 2 0 1 54 11 investigate this query
V Kohli 7 13 0 456 123 35.07 1006 45.32 1 2 2 50 1 investigate this query
AM Rahane 7 13 0 391 70 30.07 963 40.60 0 3 1 35

Not many care about 2013 or whatever, esp, when he is doing the above (but if worrying about 2013 keeps you busy by all means worry about it)  :winky:

Fine won't talk about his first SENA tour. Then why are you show stats since he made his first ton? Why not since start of SA series? (His second SENA Tour)

PS also has a top order batsman, he is better than others :

View overall figures [change view]
Start of match date greater than or equal to 1 Jan 2013 remove greater than or equal to 1 Jan 2013 from query
Batting position between 1 and 3 remove between 1 and 3 from query
Overall figures
Player Span Mat Inns NO Runs HS AveDescending BF SR 100 50 0 4s 6s  
CA Pujara 2013-2020 24 45 1 1662 193 37.77 4133 40.21 5 6 4 196 3 investigate this query
M Vijay 2013-2018 20 40 0 1257 146 31.42 3031 41.47 2 7 5 161 8 investigate this query
S Dhawan 2013-2018 15 30 0 774 115 25.80 1343 57.63 1 2 2 98 2 investigate this query
KL Rahul 2014-2019 12 22 0 513 149 23.31 960 53.43 2 0 3 69 3

Lol comparing with avg performing openers and being happy with it. In this way you have set pretty low standards for pujara it seems. Our openers have been pathetic and being bit better than them is great?

Edited by Nikola

7 minutes ago, Nikola said:

Fine won't talk about his first SENA tour. Then why are you show stats since he made his first ton? Why not since start of SA series? (His second SENA Tour)

Because from that point, it shows an upward trend  .... for your reference, below since 2018:

Start of match date greater than or equal to 1 Jan 2018 remove greater than or equal to 1 Jan 2018 from query
Page 1 of 1 Showing 1 - 5 of 5   First pageFirst Previous pagePrevious Next Next page Last Last page dblBakArwB.gifReturn to query menu
Overall figures
V Kohli 2018-2020 13 25 0 1182 153 47.28 2234 52.90 4 5 2 136 2 investigate this query
CA Pujara 2018-2020 12 23 1 921 193 41.86 2449 37.60 4 3 3 99 2 investigate this query
RR Pant 2018-2020 8 15 1 556 159* 39.71 819 67.88 2 0 1 56 12 investigate this query
AM Rahane 2018-2020 11 21 0 606 81 28.85 1410 42.97 0 4 1 62 3 investigate this query
KL Rahul 2018-2019 10 19 0 386 149 20.31 653 59.11 1 0 3 53 2

also as a top order batsman (at times a virtual opener), a tough job in SENA, he is better than others during the 2013-2019 period :

Start of match date greater than or equal to 1 Jan 2013 remove greater than or equal to 1 Jan 2013 from query
Overall figures
CA Pujara 2013-2020 24 45 1 1662 193 37.77 4133 40.21 5 6 4 196 3 investigate this query
M Vijay 2013-2018 20 40 0 1257 146 31.42 3031 41.47 2 7 5 161 8 investigate this query
S Dhawan 2013-2018 15 30 0 774 115 25.80 1343 57.63 1 2 2 98 2 investigate this query
KL Rahul 2014-2019 12 22 0 513 149 23.31 960 53.43 2 0 3 69 3

Edited by zen

34 minutes ago, Nikola said:

Lol comparing with avg performing openers and being happy with it. In this way you have set pretty low standards for pujara it seems. Our openers have been pathetic and being bit better than them is great?

Those were some of the best batsmen for Ind at the respective points. The other 3 on the list avg (combined) 28. Pujara avgs 38 (+36%) .... In the last 7 tests, he is avg 60 (others avg 36) .... If Pujara bats at #4-5 for e.g., his avg could get even higher. People know batting in top order is tough in SENA. 

3 hours ago, maniac said:

Sachin

Sehwag

Rohit/Kohli- yes Rohit might seem like a controversial pick but here is a guy who has 3 Odi 200s and multiple T20 100s, I tune into see what miracle he can produce every single time.

No VVS :omg:

Rohit is half blood based outside, VVS is pure blood and son of the soil. 

Edited by Gollum

R Dravid, cannot forget his series defining returns circa 2000-2007.

Edit : 2nd fav VVS Laxman, absolute clutch batsman and 3rd would be Veeru, pure entertainment.

Edited by SK_IH

6 hours ago, zen said:

One of the reasons that when Pujara scores and Ind does well is he can make it count with a big inning (cover up for others failures). Some of the others may score a good looking 50 that the commentators may praise but that is about it. They should be pushing themselves like Pujara to make it count when they are "in". Overseas, even though you have 11 players, not everyone is going to be consistent or effective in "away" conditions, therefore, those who find form have to try to score big. 

At Adelaide, for e.g., Pujara scored 123 when the next best score was 37. If he had scored a 60,  esp. if it were a good looking one that commentators praised, it would still be considered a good effort by many, but Pujara pushed himself to get a 100+ in that environment and cover for others. That is the difference b/w Pujara and some of the other batsmen. 

To add to the above, another example is the 4th test in Eng where Pujara scored 132*. Next best score was 46. 

7 hours ago, zen said:

Yes buddy, the whole cricket world revolves around Pujara! If Pujara does well, Ind wins and vice versa. Even though, Ind has only won a handful of matches in SENA in its history, Pujara’s arrival made folks like you believe that Ind could win everything in SENA! Good to know that :dance:

now got your  intention w.r.t all these discussions involving Pujara...so ..... each to their own  when the discussion is with you.

6 minutes ago, rtmohanlal said:

now got your  intention w.r.t all these discussions involving Pujara...so ..... each to their own  when the discussion is with you.

No. problem, but note that as #3, he is among the best in business vs. SENA "away"  :winky:

Qualifications runs scored greater than or equal to 1000 remove runs scored greater than or equal to 1000 from query
Page 1 of 1 Showing 1 - 7 of 7   First pageFirst Previous pagePrevious Next Next page Last Last page dblBakArwB.gifReturn to query menu
Overall figures
CJL Rogers (AUS) 2013-2015 13 24 1 1028 173 44.69 2025 50.76 3 5 1 147 1 investigate this query
CA Pujara (INDIA) 2013-2020 24 45 1 1662 193 37.77 4133 40.21 5 6 4 196 3 investigate this query
DA Warner (AUS) 2013-2019 21 39 0 1445 145 37.05 1965 73.53 3 11 4 185 13 investigate this query
Azhar Ali (PAK) 2013-2019 18 35 2 1089 205* 33.00 2756 39.51 2 5 1 123 2 investigate this query
M Vijay (INDIA) 2013-2018 20 40 0 1257 146 31.42 3031 41.47 2 7 5 161 8 investigate this query
FDM Karunaratne (SL) 2013-2019 19 38 1 1087 152 29.37 2284 47.59 1 6 4 126 1 investigate this query
AN Cook (ENG) 2013-2018 19 36 1 1019 244* 29.11 2243 45.43 2 4 2 115 0
Edited by zen

9 hours ago, Gollum said:

No VVS :omg:

Rohit is half blood based outside, VVS is pure blood and son of the soil. 

Why do you keep saying half-blood I don’t Know if it was you I had the conversation with before but I think I closed the debate on the full-blood lineage before :)

Also VVS is from Telangana, Rohit lineage is from Vizag :no: but I also put Kohli there.

VVS would be next in the list probably 

To be honest though both are Andhra/Telangana Bhramins in fact VVS is the same sub caste or shakha of Brahmin where ae Rohit belongs to a rival sub caste

So yes this has nothing to do with regionalism,casteism etc. pure unadulterated cricket acumen 

Edited by maniac

38 minutes ago, maniac said:

Why do you keep saying half-blood I don’t Know if it was you I had the conversation with before but I think I closed the debate on the full-blood lineage before :)

Not with me. 

38 minutes ago, maniac said:

Also VVS is from Telangana, Rohit lineage is from Vizag :no: but I also put Kohli there.

VVS would be next in the list probably 

To be honest though both are Andhra/Telangana Bhramins in fact VVS is the same sub caste or shakha of Brahmin where ae Rohit belongs to a rival sub caste

So yes this has nothing to do with regionalism,casteism etc. pure unadulterated cricket acumen 

Mazak kar raha tha bhai, aap toh senti ho gaye ho !!!!

People who say they switched on their TV sets to Watch Dravid or Pujara test knocks are either insomniacs or are lying.

All Time
There are few bats whom you tune into watch even in tests like Sachin,Sehwag

Most times 

Kohli only in LOIs, watching the man chase in limited overs (bilaterals for now :(( ) is a piece of art in itself but in tests is different. He has good knocks like the one in Adelaide but I have not seen a smooth test 100 that made me sit on the edge of my seat like the other 2 names I mentioned above. Having said that I will still tune in to watch him bat as he is the best that we have right now.

Some times 
Then there is Laxman- he has a clutch knocks in some greatest tests ever played and he had some knocks that were just mesmerizing like his 160 in Sydney or there was stroke filled 40 odd in SA that robelinda has said was one of the most requested Laxman innings requests he got. In between there is a lot of mediocrity where he didn’t do justice to his talent.

Laxman is a bit like the test version of Dhoni, Dhoni has a couple of destructive knocks 2-3 clutch knocks which he has used to con people all his career but in between there is a lot of disgusting crap.

Limited overs

In odis obviously apart from Kohli

for reasons mentioned above , Yuvraj in his prime and Rohit are the 2 must see players.

Future 

Love watching Rahul bat in full flow.  Pant is super entertaining and then there is Shaw the kid is box office.

Just for laughs

I usually enjoy some tailender bats just for comedic entertainment  like Umesh Yadav, Sexting Shami etc . 

Special mention: Ashwin in LOIs when he tries ABDV stunts 

Edited by maniac

3 hours ago, maniac said:

People who say they switched on their TV sets to Watch Dravid or Pujara test knocks are either insomniacs or are lying.

That is an assumption on your part, probably an unidimensional look to test cricket. I enjoyed watching Pujara bat in Aus as well as if he had got out early, advantage would have shifted to Aus. That opens up another dimension of tension in the game. One of the hallmarks of test cricket is that there are various battles that can be enjoyed. 

On good batting surface, I would enjoy watching Sehwag and Kapil (one of the most elegant batsmen) .... Sehwag against spin was a treat in SL as well. While his effort in Pak on good batting tracks can be a bore relatively.

In a game like the one below, Gavaskar would be great to watch. The tension below would be about Gavaskar's wkt potentially turning the course of the game. How he handles the bowlers in such form becomes the challenge:

PS below IND bowled out chasing 120 to win:

Edited by zen