Abysmal SENA Tour Results

I've been watching cricket since the early 90's. I'm willing to give the previous Indian teams a slide because of various other reasons but this past decade (2010 - NOW) has been the single most useless team when it comes to SENA tours. Lost 11 tests in England out of 14, 4/8 in SA, 7/12 in Australia and now counting this game it will be 3/4 in NZ. (More than 50% matches lost everywhere)

Compare our monetary/fiscal resources and the talent available in hand with our past teams the results we have now are a mockery. Hell i could say Ganguly/dravid/kumble teams did way better in SENA compared to the past decade.

The regression under Dhoni/kohli eras in test teams is as real as it gets.

Quoting my post from the 2nd test match thread. It is quite self explanatory. IMO, this is the worst decade for the Indian test team since we started playing better in the 2000-10 decade. While the bowling, especially fast bowling has become better the slump in batting is devastating and obvious for everyone to see.

What do you guys think is the reason for the decline?. Is the domestic system producing enough batsmen to excel at the international test level or does every young kid is enamored by IPL and wants to make few crores as early as he can?. Do we have wicket taking spinners who can win us matches overseas?. What do you guys prefer off spinners who can bat or leg spinners who can take wickets?.  Every test team has at-least one decent all-rounder in their test 11 while we still keep playing cards between Ashwin and Jadeja who aren't making enough runs or good at picking wickets!. What are your thoughts about wicket keeping issues?. Do we need a proper keeper or we need a batsman keeper?.  Selection and team management are an whole level other issues though!!.

Please stick the discussion to SENA tours only and leave out home results/WI and SL out of the topic.  Point out your areas of concern

Edited by Stan AF

Simple, technically batting deficiency to tackle swing. Even in SA, without ABDV, India would have lost where Philander was running rings around Indian batting.

The WC 2019 SF was lost to swing. 

There is no talent coming through as far as coming to face swing and bounce.

I don't even know what the purpose of A tours are when guys making bucket load of runs in same conditions aren't in the first team, I.e. Gill

And of course lack of taking along a genuine swing bowler in SA, Eng and NZ is another factor but different issue. 

As i have said a multiple times, young players would rather waste a month and half playing silly IPL than actually tuning their test match batting/bowling skills by playing in Eng, Aus or NZ in the off season. If you are a test team player and somehow you have a IPL contract, the BCCI should compensate the player the same and tell him to go play county or even club cricket in NZ or Aus for 2/3 months. Atleast you will get used to the condtions and become a better all round batsman.

However our entitled brats just want fame and endorsements, who cares about test cricket. They have no temperament or the will to improve in overseas test matches, esp batsmen. Keep giving them agents and brand managers, bollywood parties and Tinder/Bumble/ cake smearing, TikTok videos, i mean Test cricket gayi bhaad me.

Main reason is we can't play swing bowling, has been the case since 2011 tour of England. We are the worst team against this kind of bowling, hence always get whacked in England. NZ pretty similar, at least the conditions we faced in this series. The moment there is swing our players' minds get cluttered and they become vulnerable against all kinds of bowling like Moeen's filth or Kiwis' gentle paced, short-pitched stuff. 

2011-2020 period....our results have been decent in RSA, Aus compared to historical standards and keeping in mind the strength of our opponents, 2011-12 Aus fiasco happened because that was a seniors XI and Aussie pitches are anything but slow (ruthless against slow reflexes, ask Dravid). Letdown mainly in 'E' and 'N'. 

Edited by Gollum