Why Sachin is a legend

CSK Fan

At least I will watch indian matches with out any threat of heart attacks and with lesser prayers on the lips. in fact would manage to watch the entire match with out changing the channel as i am used to-when sachin is about to face, especially when he starts his innings.!!! i have watched so many SRT innings in hi lights or retelecast than 'live COVERAGE' because i have found it unbearable if he fails.Sometimes due to superstition too. So many times i would switch the channel after observing addition of four to his total while watching news channels, to catch a glimpse of the replay of the 4.
Wow ,well put .I thought i am the only one that ''nervous '' when he plays especially against teams like Pakistan ,Australia .Or in some big matches . TBH had he been treated like Dravid he would have done much better than this . The pressure of expectation has a huge impact on his career . Each time when he comes to the crease God only knows the pressure he must be going through .
At least I will watch indian matches with out any threat of heart attacks and with lesser prayers on the lips. in fact would manage to watch the entire match with out changing the channel as i am used to-when sachin is about to face, especially when he starts his innings.!!! i have watched so many SRT innings in hi lights or retelecast than 'live COVERAGE' because i have found it unbearable if he fails.Sometimes due to superstition too. So many times i would switch the channel after observing addition of four to his total while watching news channels, to catch a glimpse of the replay of the 4.[/QUOTE] I do exactly the same!!!

No player other than Boss has been involved in the most matches, runs and 100's in tests+odis together at the same time even in cases like... http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?class=11;filter=advanced;orderby=runs;result=2;template=results;type=batting 237 matches. Hmm...here is a record that is as unbreakable as Bradman's average. I am certain that in my lifetime...this bold and daring new India( getting better each passing day), even with players with the longest career span won't end up with a such dubious distinction.

On the contrary' date=' what you term a dubious distinction, is the very reason he is held so dear by so many. Think about it.[/quote'] Well I know of atleast 18 of those matches ..where he was well set and failed to complete the job. Nothing bigger than the Chennai match against Pa.kis in 1999. What I find funny is the even when he gets out - others are blamed. I remember how Mongia was blamed squarely for what happened in Chennai after he got out. Lara completed the job with fu.cking rank tailenders against the No.1 team in the world. And that match forever be part of his legacy. I have absolutely no doubt about SRT's sincere intent for the team. But say what you want, he just isn't a guy who has the winning killer instinct that is the hallmark of sporting champions. Atleast, thats the reason I watch sports. Give me 11 appam *****yas in the team, but at the end of the day if they get the job done seeing India through, they are my heroes. Again, when he failed pathetically as a captain, instead of looking at his own glaring fallacies, his supporters blame the team, the selectors etc etc... He is just a super motivated and self sufficient run getter who turns up for work each day and does his stuff on most days. Sheer Longetivity in the game ( which is very commendable) has helped him reached many milestones. His squeeky clean image , the cricket frenzy in our country devoid hitherto of sporting heroes and his consistency made him a marketing phenomenon. Unfortunately batting superstars take all the plaudits here and are met with more success outside the field. Yuvraj Singh is not even 20 % the cricketer that the tough as nails champion Kumble has been for India, but he is still is a far bigger marketing phenomenon. At the end of the day, a cricketers post retirement legacy is memorable match winning performances, the greater the occasion and odds, the more memorable. What will SRT's legacy be ? No one expected Gavaskar's record to be surpassed let alone be a walk in the park like it seems these days. But we now have FTBs like Jayawardene on the verge of overtaking him. 10 others already have. Already teams are playing lesser ODIS annually and I have no doubt that tests along T20's will dominate in the future. I promise you all of SRT's personal milestones in tests, would be overcome within 15 years. ( Hopefully by an Indian ) He has had a long long career. When his tests records are leapfrogged by 10 others , I ask again what will SRT's legacy be ?

You can't have sat through the cricket I sat through. There's a reason both Lara and Tendulkar top that list. Heartbreak and disappointment is part and parcel of their genius. You need to have a long think about the the reason human beings watch and play sport. The answer does not lie in Statguru.

You can't have sat through the cricket I sat through. There's a reason both Lara and Tendulkar top that list. Heartbreak and disappointment is part and parcel of their genius. You need to have a long think about the the reason human beings watch and play sport. The answer does not lie in Statguru.
Exactly. But that is exactly what the OP and countless others here are doing. Gavaskar's test records were thought to Mt Everest at one point. 10 have already surpassed that. 10 others will surpass it in the next 3-4 years. Gavaskar's legacy was holding fort for India against the deadliest pace attack in the history of cricket, (without a helmet), when we hardly had any other decent batsmen for support. He was a monster in the 4th innings too and brought India to safety countless times against much superior teams.That was his legacy. That he ended up being the, then record holder was a by product. Likewise as much as some fans are going beserk over SRT's personal test records, as invincible as they seem, they too will be surpassed by many players well within a generation. What would SRT's legacy be then, after all he played in a much much stronger team than Gavaskar with fantastic supports from other greats like Dravid, Laxman, Sehwag, Ganguly.. After all, his personal record holding stats, are what his fans are trying to make his legacy, what is going to happen when all those records are overtaken by a dozen others ?

You really sound like someone that started following cricket and Tendulkar from about the year 2000. Tendulkar played with a pretty hopeless bunch of cricketers for much of his career. I can't speak for all but these latter career achievements are just celebrations of yesteryear. They say nothing new of the man to those that have watched at close quarters. It's human nature to want the world join to us in our admiration of the man. That's what these landmarks do.

You really sound like someone that started following cricket and Tendulkar from about the year 2000. Tendulkar played with a pretty hopeless bunch of cricketers for much of his career. I can't speak for all but these latter career achievements are just celebrations of yesteryear. They say nothing new of the man to those that have watched at close quarters. It's human nature to want the world join to us in our admiration of the man. That's what these landmarks do.
That is the biggest BS and myth and giving discredit to Team India just to defend a single player, as if he is bigger than the team. Are you telling me 96/97 through 2000 Azhar, Dravid, Ganguly, Kumble, Srinath were so bad ? Or that from 2000- 2010 when is all just the latter *** end of his career ????????????? Sorry, doesn't cut ice. In anycase all of those cricketers that you labelled " hopeless" were stilll far better than what Gavaskar had.

Patriot, Tendulkar's legacy goes far beyond numbers, no matter what the fan says. He is THE person all Indians identified with during the 90s - regardless of caste, religion, region, etc. He was the face of India in front of all the cricketing nations. There's a reason why Steve Waugh said, India celebrates Tendulkar scoring - instead of India winning. And that has changed by SO much today. We demand that India win all of its encounters. Do you think people in the 1990s were stupid as opposed to today? Why then would they take joy in Sachin scoring centuries and dominating the opposition, in spite of India losing a lot of those games? I alluded to this in the other thread comparing Sehwag's S/R to that of Sachin's, Sachin is more than just a insipid run scorer, as you keep claiming. From a cricketing standpoint, he is a mix of Gavaskar and Richards, and from a personal standpoint, he is absolutely the best sportsman the world has seen - the way he has handled fame, fortune, obsessive supporters, scathing critics, etc. Coming to the point about other good players alongside Sachin - if you've followed the career of Azhar, he had a very good career and was a very good batsman bordering great. But very inconsistent, and though he has excellent knocks in his resume overseas, one could definitely say that his record at home is far better than the ones abroad. Ganguly, Dravid, et. al came into the fore only at the turn of the century. Apart from the 2 centuries in '96, Ganguly was a steady player in tests, and a good opening partner in the ODIs - but he doesn't nearly have the same amount of buy on the burning decks knocks that Sachin does (ex: WC '96 Semi Final). Dravid did more - he gave it his all every single time, but even he took time to get used to the one-dayers. In the tests, he was very good until the turn of the century, and he became a great player in his own right in both the formats. That Tendulkar considers Kumble to be the best cricketer of his generation to represent India must tell you something.. What Sachin was to batting, Kumble was to Indian bowling. Of course, Kumble had a mediocre/below-average record away from India, whereas Sachin batted with flair everywhere against everyone. Srinath was a very good paceman from India, but it is his misfortune that he had no one other than Venkatesh Prasad to support him at the other end. In spite of this, he came up with some terrific spells like the one vs. SA in 1996 at Ahmedabad. But apart from shining here and there, none of these players (barring Kumble.. again), they didn't do too much to change the results that we got.

Losing 3-0 in Australia in 1999 and what, 4-0 in 1992. Sounds pretty diabolical to me. Sure we had some very good individuals but as a team we couldn't stick it to 'em. Tendulkar did, and often. Again statguru won't tell you everything. You're adamant that his legacy be diluted because he hasn't sustained his brilliant best for twenty years. Ten years not enough for you?