Proud to have achieved goal of developing India's bench strength: MSK Prasad

MSK Prasad's ride as a national selector was not a smooth one. Besides fending off constant questions on the committee's lack of stature, he had to oversee a transition in Indian cricket while BCCI was going through tough times as a sports body. As he vacates his position as chairman of selectors, Prasad looks back on his stint.

Excerpts

Your selection panel was termed a 'lightweight' one because of its relative lack of Test cricket playing experience...

Trevor Hons played only 6 Tests and he had been the chairman of the Australian selection committee for a couple of decades. He is highly respected for his commitment, not for the number of games he played for his country. I believe in that kind of genuine respect rather than worrying about comments that have ulterior motives.

What was the primary policy change made by your panel?

To have horses for courses. We had this goal of developing bench strength across all formats and we take pride in having achieved our goal.

How difficult was it to phase out superstars like Yuvraj Singh and MS Dhoni?

Dhoni and Yuvraj are legends and I don't really see anyone stepping into those shoes. It is tough to deal with. Our fundamental job is to identify fresh talent, groom them and induct them when the need arises.

What was the most challenging decision?

Dropping Ashwin and Jadeja from white-ball cricket or preparing a successor for MS Dhoni, both were challenging.

There has also been a lot of criticism about not preparing a solid No. 4 for the World Cup...

I don't think we lost the World Cup because of No.4 position. We topped the table leading up to the semifinal. It was one bad session that cost us.

Your committee was accused of not talking to players enough...

I know how much communication has gone to the players from my committee and I don't need to justify it or show proof of that.

Deciding the playing XI is not in selectors' hands as of now. How much should the selectors talk about team composition with the management?

It was one of the flaws in the new reforms and I wish that it was amended. Selectors and team management need to be on same page.

What about the scheduling?

Players are subjected to lot of cricket. Somewhere we need to sit and decide the right number of playing days.

How important was it to have good pace backups for Tests?

Getting the backups ready has been the mantra of our committee and we could succeed due the India A shadow tour programs which we have designed along with Rahul Dravid & Ravi Shastri.

Test and white-ball teams are increasingly looking different...

We need to have horses for courses, especially with so much talent (available). We are keen to do well and win the first-ever Test championship and we are aware of the points system too. That is why we have rotated players and got the right players ready for the Tests.

You backed KL Rahul through a prolonged bad patch...

KL is phenomenal player and we all feel that he can play all formats successfully. We have no doubt about his talent and hence we backed him.

Are cricketers being increasingly labelled as one-format or two-format players?

If a player has the ability to adapt and play all formats, he should do so.

What was it like to work with Kohli, Shastri and Kumble?

Everyone is a professional. Everyone knows his job. I have thoroughly enjoyed working with all of them. It wouldn't be appropriate if I don't thank the captains MSD, Virat, Rohit and Ajinkya along with coaches Ravi, Anil Kumble and Rahul Dravid and their respective team managements with whom I have worked for the last 4 years.

And the BCCI administrators?

I was brought in when Shashank Manohar was president and Anurag Thakur was secretary. Anurag elevated me to the chairman's post. I would like to thank Anurag and Ajay Shirke because they have instilled confidence and strength in me. I would like to thank all the past and present office-bearers, members and staff with whom we have worked day in and day out for the last four years.

Link https://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/112618/proud-to-have-achieved-goal-of-developing-indias-bench-strength-msk-prasad-india-chief-selector

2 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

MSK Prasad's ride as a national selector was not a smooth one. Besides fending off constant questions on the committee's lack of stature, he had to oversee a transition in Indian cricket while BCCI was going through tough times as a sports body. As he vacates his position as chairman of selectors, Prasad looks back on his stint.

Excerpts

Your selection panel was termed a 'lightweight' one because of its relative lack of Test cricket playing experience...

Trevor Hons played only 6 Tests and he had been the chairman of the Australian selection committee for a couple of decades. He is highly respected for his commitment, not for the number of games he played for his country. I believe in that kind of genuine respect rather than worrying about comments that have ulterior motives.

To have horses for courses. We had this goal of developing bench strength across all formats and we take pride in having achieved our goal.

Dhoni and Yuvraj are legends and I don't really see anyone stepping into those shoes. It is tough to deal with. Our fundamental job is to identify fresh talent, groom them and induct them when the need arises.

Dropping Ashwin and Jadeja from white-ball cricket or preparing a successor for MS Dhoni, both were challenging.

There has also been a lot of criticism about not preparing a solid No. 4 for the World Cup...

I don't think we lost the World Cup because of No.4 position. We topped the table leading up to the semifinal. It was one bad session that cost us.

I know how much communication has gone to the players from my committee and I don't need to justify it or show proof of that.

Deciding the playing XI is not in selectors' hands as of now. How much should the selectors talk about team composition with the management?

It was one of the flaws in the new reforms and I wish that it was amended. Selectors and team management need to be on same page.

Players are subjected to lot of cricket. Somewhere we need to sit and decide the right number of playing days.

Getting the backups ready has been the mantra of our committee and we could succeed due the India A shadow tour programs which we have designed along with Rahul Dravid & Ravi Shastri.

We need to have horses for courses, especially with so much talent (available). We are keen to do well and win the first-ever Test championship and we are aware of the points system too. That is why we have rotated players and got the right players ready for the Tests.

KL is phenomenal player and we all feel that he can play all formats successfully. We have no doubt about his talent and hence we backed him.

Everyone is a professional. Everyone knows his job. I have thoroughly enjoyed working with all of them. It wouldn't be appropriate if I don't thank the captains MSD, Virat, Rohit and Ajinkya along with coaches Ravi, Anil Kumble and Rahul Dravid and their respective team managements with whom I have worked for the last 4 years.

I was brought in when Shashank Manohar was president and Anurag Thakur was secretary. Anurag elevated me to the chairman's post. I would like to thank Anurag and Ajay Shirke because they have instilled confidence and strength in me. I would like to thank all the past and present office-bearers, members and staff with whom we have worked day in and day out for the last four years.

Link https://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/112618/proud-to-have-achieved-goal-of-developing-indias-bench-strength-msk-prasad-india-chief-selector

tenor (1) (1).gif

couldn't even develop a proper eleven... that is why inadequacies like pujara & rahane still were being part of the disastrous SENA cycle with only 1 series win in AUS because of their main batsmen being absent....it is where this creature is speaking about bench strength... this is kaliyug and hence to earn crores , all that requires is the  thick skin ness of a rhino.  msk,sastri,piggulji,shanta pundasaami, sulakshana naik    all are testimonies to this fact...

14 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

And who the * asked this question? Some butthurt Marathi reporter or one of fatass Sharma or Dhawan arranged it? 

As a job well done to Andhra MSK,

X5ELiauu-k1WE340aw6oz9dLSbBhH9QjQTTv-QFi

Edited by Lannister

He has created such strong bench strength that ...

---- An injured Ishant was forced to play in the first test in NZ. We did not have a single new pacer who has played test cricket.

---- When Rohit and Dhawan both got injured before the NZ ODI series, we had to play 2 debutant openers.

---- Dhawan's injury in WC 19 led us to promote our then No.4 to open and play a rookie Shankar at the crucial No.4 in such an important tournament.

---- We don't have a settled opening pair in tests.

---- An injury prone 35 year old Kedar Jadhav plays on in ODIs because we don't have a batsman who can bowl a bit.

---- With Hardik Pandya injured, we are playing Jadeja at No.7, who cannot start hitting before he plays 20 balls. 

---- We had to play 3 wicket keepers in the crucial WC 19 semi final.

----  Who replaces Kohli if he gets injured ?

17 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Excerpts

Kohli and Sastry are giving Hi5s to each other and saying what a grand ch***