Neither Virat Kohli nor Steve Smith, Brian Lara picks KL Rahul as his favourite batsman of the current era

Lara revealed that out of the many brilliant batsmen that are enthralling the folklore currently, KL Rahul remains his favourite.

“I follow the West Indies as you know. They did pretty well in Sri Lanka in the T20 version of the game. Around the world, there are so many amazing batsmen to look at. There is Steve Smith, Virat Kohli, Rohit Sharma. My favourite is KL Rahul,” Lara revealed to Sportstar.

Link - https://www.crictracker.com/neither-virat-kohli-nor-steve-smith-brian-lara-picks-kl-rahul-as-his-favourite-batsman-of-the-current-era/

7 hours ago, Gollum said:

King Viv said the same in the 2016 series. When Rahul is on song, no better sight in cricket, he is similar to Aravinda. Has played just one ICC event after a lot of mishandling by TM, can't draw conclusions about mental fortitude, hope to see him step up in KOs of ICC events, 3 in the next 3 years !!!

Viv even said he is probably even better than Kohli. Kohli even though has worked hard on his batting and fitness doesn't have the same shotmaking that KLR has. Only young Rohit had that. As I say this, @maniac is probably :wp110: at the moment. Rahul should have been given a longer run after his debut against Aus. He is probably mentally shattered after removal from tests probably because of Kohli's jealousy. Kohli wants to be king kohli and doesn't like to be challenged. Same thing is now happening to Pant

15 hours ago, Sandeep99 said:

If KL can turn it around in tests, there’s no way he’s not becoming the most premier batsman of this team. He’s the successor of Rohit. Hopefully he is given captaincy soon enough..

and 3rd year into his captaincy you would be posting why he is the worst captain India has ever had

5 minutes ago, maniac said:

Or :mi:

I know you are joking and me not into this IPL/MI business. But someone like KLR will flourish under skipper Rohit->a chilled, secure guy who knows how to give his players space. The earlier we get him as white ball captain, better are the chances at ending our trophy drought. Hope Kohli gets embarrassed yet again this IPL and Rohit, KL, Iyer shine as batsmen as well as captains of their respective franchises. Need more heat on the brat. 

Edited by Gollum

Not sure about his captaincy skills but i guess he is best limited overs batsman at the moment for india. He must open for t20s and play at 4 for odis. In tests he will have to earn his spot back now. Great talent but he is almost 28 and just settled in our limited overs side while in tests he is still not in squad.

Imo in terms strokeplay:

1)Rohit Sharma (Best Ever Indian Batsmen of Short Ball comparable to 90's Tendulkar against short ball), can play every shot. Great to watch.

2)Kl Rahul (Gifted, but needs to step up and take over Kohli as the main batsman), don't agree with him batting at no 5 in odi, due to reach his peak so should be batting higher in the order, ideally should replace S Dhawan. 

3)V Kohli (He has become more of run machine, the flair in batting is missing now)

Future Indian batsman that will be good to watch, strokeplay:

P Shaw

S Gill

Batsmen from other countries:

Q D Kock

Dhawan has a reputation of raising his game in icc odi tournaments. Rahul has a reputation of kind of being fragile under pressure so far but the way he grabbed his chance recently gives me hope.

Now coming to the big 2

Kohli is the master of chase especially in Bilaterals and round robin phase. He has single handedly finished games and gets the job done often 

Rohit when he goes into beast mode records tumble. I mean whenever he goes past 100, fans are expecting a 200, how ridiculous does it sound in any other context that we are counting down to a players 200 but in Rohit’s case this has become a normal expectation.

Rahul May on his best day match Rohit shot for shot but can never go into that beast zone Rohit can.

So this puts Rahul in the pecking order behind these 3. Now the fact that he isn’t a promising youngster like Pant,Shaw or Gill or neither is he in the Iyer, Pandey zone of trying to make it puts him in a weird spot.

He has become one of India’s most important white ball players with the balance he brings in but as a batsman he is behind Rohit,Kohli and even Dhawan

Edited by maniac
10 hours ago, maniac said:

Dhawan has a reputation of raising his game in icc odi tournaments. Rahul has a reputation of kind of being fragile under pressure so far but the way he grabbed his chance recently gives me hope.

what is the sample of that ?

rahul also scored runs in 1st Wc more then rohit n kohli did in their 1st Wcs , that to when he was in poor form and strugg;ing with technique issues. 

dhawan hasnt score in semis or final himself , he scores heavily in group games