Any Adrenalin Lovers here?

EnterTheVoid

This madness has reached India too. They have this set up at Rishikesh. For a little over Rs 5000 you can jump and they also shoot a video and burst pics. 

I chickened out of it at the eleventh hour. I mean its such a vain activity, jumping with a harness and then just posting that video on your FB wall for a couple of likes. So 2010.

At least that's how I console myself. :(( 

8 hours ago, Mariyam said:

This madness has reached India too. They have this set up at Rishikesh. For a little over Rs 5000 you can jump and they also shoot a video and burst pics. 

I chickened out of it at the eleventh hour. I mean its such a vain activity, jumping with a harness and then just posting that video on your FB wall for a couple of likes. So 2010.

Standing on the ledge is the hardest part.

The longer you stay, the harder it gets. The key to these type of activities is to not hesitate. 

A clean jump is the key. In a hesitant jump, you flop around all over the place. 

Notice how I jumped off. And how I didn't step off the ledge. 

1 hour ago, velu said:

My $0.02 cents.

A sky diver's container system contains two parachutes, the MAIN and the RESERVE.

At 5, 500 feet, the MAIN parachute is deployed. Assume for a second there is a total malfunction in deploying the MAIN, the emergency procedure is to cutaway the MAIN parachute and deploy the RESERVE. If the RESERVE is deployed without the malfunctioning MAIN being cutaway, the MAIN and RESERVE will get tangled in one another and the skydiver will go into an uncontrolled spiral dive.

So, the 1st question: Why wasn't the reserve deployed?

Even if she didn't deploy the reserve herself, there is an onboard computer that will deploy the RESERVE automatically once the altitude goes below 2, 000 feet. For this to work, the computer needs to be set BEFORE entering the plane.

So, the 2nd question: Was the onboard computer set?

Both of these procedures are the responsibility of the sky diver. No one is going to pull the parachute for you in mid air. These drills need to be honed in and become second nature.

It seems to me, she exited the plane at 10, 000 feet and fell straight down. Either, it is a catastrophic failure on her part or a catastrophic failure on the training given to her on what she should do during emergencies.

As for the ground control staff, their responsibilities are to manage their air space and to safely guide the skydivers down to the landing spot once they've safely/correctly deployed the parachutes.

In this case, there is nothing they could have done. That said, they shouldn't have run away from the scene of the accident.

13 hours ago, Mariyam said:

I have done the tandem skydive, not the solo one.  You got to tell yourself that its like a rollercoaster ride.  Gets less scary then.  Hardest part is stepping out of the plane.  Rest is awesome.  

4 hours ago, velu said:

In the article, it says that she did a solo jump from 3, 000 feet before going to 10, 000 feet?

When are you first learning to sky dive, doing a jump from such low altitude is wholly irresponsible. Altitude is your friend, the higher altitude you jump from, the more time you have to work with.

She jumped from a low altitude and without knowing emergency procedures. The fact that she landed safely the first time is a miracle in itself.

23 minutes ago, sandeep said:

I have done the tandem skydive, not the solo one.  You got to tell yourself that its like a rollercoaster ride.  Gets less scary then.  Hardest part is stepping out of the plane.  Rest is awesome.  

I think she is referring to the Bungy and not the Skydive. 5, 000 Rs seems too low for a tandem sky dive.

15 hours ago, Mariyam said:

Also @sandeep , Skydiving is massively overrated. It’s exhilarating to free fall for a while but personally, it’s much much more fun and exhilarating taking the controls of a Cessna and flying it for one hour with instructor onboard. And about the same price. 

Edited by Muloghonto

1 minute ago, EnterTheVoid said:

The only thing I actually agree with you.

I am a Cessna 172 pilot.

Don’t worry, as you get older and become a full grown adult with responsibilities, you will agree with me a lot more. You are just a Islam loving version of me from 10-15 years ago, as my posts will attest to from that time period , kid.

3 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

Also @sandeep , Skydiving is massively overrated. It’s exhilarating to free fall for a while but personally, it’s much much more fun and exhilarating taking the controls of a Cessna and flying it for one hour with instructor onboard. And about the same price. 

Actually, if you learn Sky Diving, once you have your own gear, the cost of each dive comes down to about $40.

The Cessna, you can only rent for an hour or so at a time. And than, if you have an instructor on board, you will have to pay for the brief/debrief.

Just now, Muloghonto said:

Don’t worry, as you get older and become a full grown adult with responsibilities, you will agree with me a lot more. You are just a Islam loving version of me from 10-15 years ago, as my posts will attest to from that time period , kid.

I only agree with you about the Cessna 172.

For everything else, rest assured, I have nothing but utter contempt for your and your types. And proudly unapologetic.

Just now, EnterTheVoid said:

Actually, if you learn Sky Diving, once you have your own gear, the cost of each dive comes down to about $40.

The Cessna, you can only rent for an hour or so at a time. And than, if you have an instructor on board, you will have to pay for the brief/debrief.

Very few of us want our own gear that itself costs in the thousands and carries the added responsibility and stress of packing one’s own parachute. In Canadian army, anyone lower than the rank of a Lt or Sargeant isn’t allowed to sign off on parachute reassembly. Not a thing I want to be responsible for.

out here, it costs 200-400 bucks for a tandem dive and 150-300 for a one hour instructor accompanied flying lesson. They take off/land and rest of the time it’s for me. And lasts a whole damn hour, not 10-15 min. Much much better value