Any Adrenalin Lovers here?

EnterTheVoid

2 minutes ago, EnterTheVoid said:

I only agree with you about the Cessna 172.

For everything else, rest assured, I have nothing but utter contempt for your and your types. And proudly unapologetic.

As I said, you will grow out of it, like I did, kid. As the saying goes, if you are not a liberal at 20-30, it means you have no heart. If you are still a liberal at 40, it means you don’t have a brain. 

Just now, Muloghonto said:

Very few of us want our own gear that itself costs in the thousands and carries the added responsibility and stress of packing one’s own parachute. In Canadian army, anyone lower than the rank of a Lt or Sargeant isn’t allowed to sign off on parachute reassembly. Not a thing I want to be responsible for.

out here, it costs 200-400 bucks for a tandem dive and 150-300 for a one hour instructor accompanied flying lesson. They take off/land and rest of the time it’s for me. And lasts a whole damn hour, not 10-15 min. Much much better value 

The Skydiver is expected to pack the main parachute themselves. The reserve parachute - which should seldom be used btw - is packed by a "Class A" rigger. And the reserve parachute should only be packed every 6 months.

The reserve parachute is also packed differently to the main.

Yes, the instructor will take off/land. That's because the take off/landing are the hardest parts. You have to factor in tail winds, head winds, cross winds etc. Also, have to have the spatial awareness to fully understand what is going on in your surroundings.

Once you take off and your plane is "trimmed" properly, than it is a scenic ride. 

That said, flying with an instructor generally means that the instructor has taken on most/if not all responsibilities for risk management. Flying a plane is more than just moving the yoke from side to side and front to back. What are you going to do if you stall? If there is an engine failure? If you get lost etc. 

When you fly the plane SOLO, you take on immense responsibilities.

One hand on the stick, one hand on the throttle. And than, reading the measurements from 10 different instruments at the same time.

You need to have an intimate understanding of Physics. Not to mention, aerodynamics too (angle of attack, angle of attack co-efficients etc)

3 minutes ago, EnterTheVoid said:

The Skydiver is expected to pack the main parachute themselves. The reserve parachute - which should seldom be used btw - is packed by a "Class A" rigger. And the reserve parachute should only be packed every 6 months.

Never ever is this the case in Canada. 

The reserve parachute is also packed differently to the main.

Yes, the instructor will take off/land. That's because the take off/landing are the hardest parts. You have to factor in tail winds, head winds, cross winds etc. Also, have to have the spatial awareness to fully understand what is going on in your surroundings.

Once you take off and your plane is "trimmed" properly, than it is a scenic ride. 

Err the multiple times I have gone, I have been allowed to change the trim, change altitude, even ride the updrafts by the mountain side. I ask, instructor barks commands, I do and confirm back. 

That said, flying with an instructor generally means that the instructor has taken on most/if not all responsibilities for risk management. Flying a plane is more than just moving the yoke from side to side and front to back. What are you going to do if you stall? If there is an engine failure? If you get lost etc. 

No ****. He is there for the emergencies but as I said, we get to actually change trim settings as well as engine modes if the instructor is comfortable enough 

6 minutes ago, EnterTheVoid said:

With an instructor by your side, you can "FLY" with as little as 6 hours flight time. Whoop de doo, doesn't mean ****. 

Students typically take 20 hours, if not more, to be able to "FLY" solo.

The proof is in the pudding. 

Relevance ? My point is, it’s way way more fun and cost effective than skydiving 

"Flying" with an instructor sitting next to you, take it with a pinch a salt.

When you go for a Trial Introductory Flight, the instructor will give you controls (temporarily). Just because you can bank, roll, yaw (all of which will alter the altitude/the rate of ascent/descent, the air speed etc), doesn't mean you truly understand what is going on "under the hood".

File a flight pattern with the ATC, navigate to the different waypoints and land safely on your own steam, that's when you'l truly start earning your stripes.

Just now, EnterTheVoid said:

"Flying" with an instructor sitting next to you, take it with a pinch a salt.

When you go for a Trial Introductory Flight, the instructor will give you controls (temporarily). Just because you can bank, roll, yaw (all of which will alter the altitude/the rate of ascent/descent, the air speed etc), doesn't mean you truly understand what is going on "under the hood".

File a flight pattern with the ATC, navigate to the different waypoints and land safely on your own steam, that's when you'l truly start earning your stripes.

Hey kid, who now wants to get into ‘ I am more hardcore than u coz I wasted a bunch of $$$ learning how to fly’ contest- nobody said that flying with instructor on is the same as flying solo.

i said that flying a plane with instructor on is way more fun than skydiving. I have done both, multiple times and flying a plane with instructor around is also way more cost effective than skydiving for a recreational fan 

1 minute ago, Muloghonto said:

Relevance ? My point is, it’s way way more fun and cost effective than skydiving 

I think both of them have a high initial cost of investment. Later on, sky diving gets cheaper. Than again, sky diving has a higher mental barrier to entry that stops people from learning the skill in the first place.

With flying, you either need to rent a plane or fly your own plane. Rent a plane, it will set you back $200/hour. Buying plane will set you back $50, 000. Than, you need to pay for fuel/hanger airspace etc etc.  

I think both of them have a high initial cost of investment. Later on, sky diving gets cheaper. Than again, sky diving has a higher mental barrier to entry that stops people from learning the skill in the first place.

With flying, you either need to rent a plane or fly your own plane. Rent a plane, it will set you back $200/hour. Buying plane will set you back $50, 000. Than, you need to pay for fuel/hanger airspace etc etc.  

As I said, prices for a tandem dive here ranges from 200-400, one hour instruction based flying is 150-300. The range is mostly buying normal or groupon. The 1 hr flying is much more cost effective for the casual fan.

as for me, flying was a much, much bigger mental barrier than jumping off a plane 

Just now, Muloghonto said:

Hey kid, who now wants to get into ‘ I am more hardcore than u coz I wasted a bunch of $$$ learning how to fly’ contest- nobody said that flying with instructor on is the same as flying solo.

i said that flying a plane with instructor on is way more fun than skydiving. I have done both, multiple times and flying a plane with instructor around is also way more cost effective than skydiving for a recreational fan 

Comparing oranges and apples.

The appeal of sky diving is free fall. Don't replicate free fall in your plane, it won't end well. 

2 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

@EnterTheVoid I am an engineer turned programmer. Suffice to say, you are barking up the wrong tree if you wanna get into physics of flight or aerodynamics with me. That’s not the point, point was what is way more fun. 

I'm an Engineer turned Pilot.

Suffice to say, I know exactly what I'm talking about. 

Comparing oranges and apples.

The appeal of sky diving is free fall. Don't replicate free fall in your plane, it won't end well. 

Fun is fun and it’s far more fun to fly for an hour than fall for 10 min is what I found.

I'm an Engineer turned Pilot.

Suffice to say, I know exactly what I'm talking about. 

As far as aerodynamics or physics of flight goes, that’s two of us then. Are you a professional pilot or just wasted a ton of money to learn something fun and useless ??