Countrywide lockdown from midnight: PM

Stradlater

1 minute ago, Mariyam said:

People do come forward in such times. Rotighar mission by Khushiyaan foundation

http://www.khushiyaanfoundation.org/index.php

You can buy your domestic help, security guard a meal for Rs25. Sanitized food delivered on a 1-1 basis.

How do you know your money will reach somebody who needs it? seriously? why don't you step outside and hand people 25 rupees yourself.

Or better yet...send me 25 rupees. I'll videotape myself handing it to someone needy and show it to you, at least then your charitable mission would be verifiable.

Just now, Manny_Pacquiao said:

How do you know your money will reach somebody who needs it? seriously? why don't you step outside and hand people 25 rupees yourself.

Or better yet...send me 25 rupees. I'll videotape myself handing it to someone needy and show it to you, at least then your charitable mission would be verifiable.

I know some of the people who run this.

Stepping outside and handing over money physically would be not be particularly wise at this time.

There are many such initiatives of the sort. Not just this one.

1 minute ago, Mariyam said:

I know some of the people who run this.

Stepping outside and handing over money physically would be not be particularly wise at this time.

There are many such initiatives of the sort. Not just this one.

Ok. and how will they ensure that the cash reaches them?

14 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

Yesterday Reliance Fresh had permission to be open till 2am. 

I saw that the security was allowing only about  4-5 people at once, inside the Reliance fresh and that lead to a big crowd outside the store ...social distancing :whack:

1 minute ago, Manny_Pacquiao said:

Ok. and how will they ensure that the cash reaches them?

No exchange of cash.

People donate online to the foundation and fill in the necessary details. The foundation delivers the meal to the worker.

17 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Banjo I have 2 giant fridges and a freezer in the garage, how will folks in India manage to stock up on essentials.  My daughter has a dairy allergy and there is only one specific type of non-dairy milk that I give her daily.  Having a bit of trouble finding it nowadays.  Can't imagine situation for folks with similar issues in India. 

The amount of hardship all of us humans will undergo in the coming weeks and months is unforeseen.  It boils my blood to think that only if the CCP had not been stupid, selfish and not tried to hide things - Just 2 weeks earlier of notifying the world, and this entire situation would be a LOT, LOT, more manageable.  Assssholes.  

people are generally doing fine here especially in urban areas. would have been better if modi had mentioned that essential services will remain open. essential commodities act means that the prices of everyday items fluctuates a lot in india and you can be booked for 'hoarding' which is why the whole supply chain network here works differently. So far there haven't been any scenes like people fighting over toilet paper like in walmart so your sympathy isn't really required. everything should imo normalize in a few days.

12 minutes ago, Manny_Pacquiao said:

You have no clue what's going on here, and you're day-dreaming of situations that you have no first hand knowledge of.

Calm your tits. 

Where am I day-dreaming, or making predictions or claims of anything that "I have no knowledge of". 

Just now, rollingstoned said:

people are generally doing fine here especially in urban areas. would have been better if modi had mentioned that essential services will remain open. essential commodities act means that the prices of everyday items fluctuates a lot in india and you can be booked for 'hoarding' which is why the whole supply chain network here works differently. So far there haven't been any scenes like people fighting over toilet paper like in walmart so your sympathy isn't really required. everything should imo normalize in a few days.

That's great to hear.  And I hope things stay calm and manageable.  I have relatives in India too, am worried about them. Especially the older ones who are more at risk if they end up getting infected. 

Just now, Mariyam said:

No exchange of cash.

People donate online to the foundation and fill in the necessary details. The foundation delivers the meal to the worker.

aaah, wonderful. I love tax deductible charity.

And does your foundation wear hazmat suits while delivering them?

Hazmat-Suits-Ebola-Dupont004.jpg

3 minutes ago, diga said:

I saw that the security was allowing only about  4-5 people at once, inside the Reliance fresh and that lead to a big crowd outside the store ...social distancing :whack:

Here too. Similar situation.

Those who went in their cars were asked to not get out and hand over their lists. The delivery boy came to the vehicle handed over the items.

It took a long time though.

I didn't come across flared tempers or people screaming and cutting lines. Somehow all of this gives me a lot of hope for the future. Not just re:corona.

2 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Calm your tits. 

Where am I day-dreaming, or making predictions or claims of anything that "I have no knowledge of". 

You're literally predicting that india will struggle to contain this while living in the united states. Even if that is true, what purpose does a comment like this serve for people actually living in india...other than to justify your decision of taking US citizenship and lamenting the status of your "fellow countrymen".

It makes you come across as a piece of ****. Just saying.

5 minutes ago, rollingstoned said:

I have a feeling he didn't mention that essential services will be open because he wanted the state Governments to take a call and address their respective people and chart the way ahead.

1 minute ago, Manny_Pacquiao said:

ou're literally predicting that india will struggle to contain this while living in the united states.

I'm not "predicting" anything.  I'm still hoping for the best possible outcome.  Maybe the heat and humidity will prevent spread.   Fact is that India has much fewer resources, and 10 times the population, and things could get really bad really quickly.  

3 minutes ago, Manny_Pacquiao said:

other than to justify your decision of taking US citizenship and lamenting the status of your "fellow countrymen".

It makes you come across as a piece of ****. Just saying.

Me sharing my concerns about my homeland, where I still have family, is not "justifying" anything. 

Please do not misinterpret my concerns and words into something it isn't.  If anything, in such a time, I wish I was living in India and not in a foreign land.  And could do something to benefit society.  

I could sit here and pass judgement about your silly remarks about how delivery workers are "making a killing" while they are out there putting their lives at risk to earn a wage.  But I am not going to make horrible assumptions about your motives - maybe you haven't realized the seriousness of the issue at hand. Whatever.  But there is no basis for you to jump to conclusions about my motives.  So don't. 

2 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

I have a feeling he didn't mention that essential services will be open because he wanted the state Governments to take a call and address their respective people and chart the way ahead.

I saw a pdf on twitter that lists out the details on essential services - its a 2 page document - maybe he chose not to get into specifics in the speech and keep it simple. In hindsight, maybe repeating the importance of not panicking and rushing out to buy right now would have helped.

12 minutes ago, Manny_Pacquiao said:

aaah, wonderful. I love tax deductible charity.

And does your foundation wear hazmat suits while delivering them?

Its not my foundation!

I don't think it is tax deductible for you. :p: It is registered as a trust.

Charitable trusts in India are exempt from GST. 

Edited by Mariyam

4 minutes ago, sandeep said:

I'm not "predicting" anything.  I'm still hoping for the best possible outcome.  Maybe the heat and humidity will prevent spread.   Fact is that India has much fewer resources, and 10 times the population, and things could get really bad really quickly.  

Me sharing my concerns about my homeland, where I still have family, is not "justifying" anything. 

Please do not misinterpret my concerns and words into something it isn't.  If anything, in such a time, I wish I was living in India and not in a foreign land.  And could do something to benefit society.  

I could sit here and pass judgement about your silly remarks about how delivery workers are "making a killing" while they are out there putting their lives at risk to earn a wage.  But I am not going to make horrible assumptions about your motives - maybe you haven't realized the seriousness of the issue at hand. Whatever.  But there is no basis for you to jump to conclusions about my motives.  So don't. 

Spare me the bullshit, you don't give a * about your "homeland", which is why you're a US citizen and living in the US. And you're subtly gloating about it on an internet forum.

That's the way it looks. Stop being so damn defensive and have some self-awareness.

Delivery workers ARE making a killing. They're earning double of what they normally would. maybe you should show your patriotism by flying over and becoming one, it would be a better use of your time.

8 minutes ago, Manny_Pacquiao said:

Spare me the bullshit, you don't give a * about your "homeland", which is why you're a US citizen and living in the US. And you're subtly gloating about it on an internet forum.

That's the way it looks. Stop being so damn defensive and have some self-awareness.

Delivery workers ARE making a killing. They're earning double of what they normally would. maybe you should show your patriotism by flying over and becoming one, it would be a better use of your time.

* off asshole.  Spoken like a true entitled spoilt brat, with the typical un-earned superiority complex over "delivery workers" earning too much.  You dont seem to have a *ing clue of how serious this is.  that's why you are running around outside taking pictures, instead of staying the * home.  Immature, ignorant brat.

Edited by sandeep