ESPN Cricinfo's New Retrolive - Official Thread

Hi guys,

As you may already know, due to the self isolation that most of the world is in at the moment, ESPN Cricinfo has a new feature known as retrolive where they transform you to days leading up to classic cricket matches and culminate in a live ball by ball commentary of the games. Since a lot of us have more free time now and we are probably all missing actual cricket matches, I thought it would be fun if we have some fun with this feature and treat these games as 'live' games as well. So before the gamesm during the live commentary and immediately after, let's pretend we are living during those times and post according to the context. We can be creative as well. Let's have fun, most importantly. We all need some cheering up these days anyway.

The first retrolive game just finished. It was the Pakistan England 1992 World Cup Final.

None of the finals in the 90s and 00s were that interesting imo 

1983 Ind's win over the mighty WI - memorable .... a blockbuster :dance: (WI probably drank champagne prematurely at the lunch break)

1987 Arch rivals Eng and Aus battle it out. Aus manage to edge Eng out. Mike Gatting's reverse sweep is still talked about

1992 Some boring stuff by Pak until the death overs. Eng failing like all chasing teams in the past :yawn2: 

1996 SL becomes the first team to win while chasing. Easy win in the end for SL .... ok final :yawn2:

1999, 2003 and 2007, Aus decimated the Asian finalists :yawn2:

2011 Good esp. for Indian fans and first time a home team won (SL played the final in India in 1996) :yess:

2015 Kiwis did not show up :yawn2:

2019  Eng wins on its 4th attempt .... An epic game .... An edge of the seat blockbuster  :aha:

Edited by zen
3 hours ago, zen said:

None of the finals in the 90s and 00s were that interesting imo 

1983 Ind's win over the mighty WI - memorable .... a blockbuster :dance: (WI probably drank champagne prematurely at the lunch break)

1987 Arch rivals Eng and Aus battle it out. Aus manage to edge Eng out. Mike Gatting's reverse sweep is still talked about

1992 Some boring stuff by Pak until the death overs. Eng failing like all chasing teams in the past :yawn2: 

1996 SL becomes the first team to win while chasing. Easy win in the end for SL .... ok final :yawn2:

1999, 2003 and 2007, Aus decimated the Asian finalists :yawn2:

2011 Good esp. for Indian fans and first time a home team won (SL played the final in India in 1996) :yess:

2015 Kiwis did not show up :yawn2:

2019  Eng wins on its 4th attempt .... An epic game .... An edge of the seat blockbuster  :aha:

I don’t think cricinfo is exclusively featuring the World Cup finals. It can be any classic game. However they may have actual commentary for games after 2004ish so most of the games will be from before that. I’m actually hoping to see the 1996 World Cup india pakistan quarter final clash there, an outstanding game. 
about the World Cup finals, 1975 was a close one, 79 one sided, 83 was close, 87 and 92 were also sporting, 96 was in patches, 99, 03,07 duds, 2011 sporting, 15 a dud and 2019 imho the best ever cricket match. And 1996 final was held in Pakistan, not India 

1 hour ago, NameGoesHere said:

This is cricinfo in how do you do stories when there are no stories mode.

I'm sure there must be people who like this retro stuff, but I I find it a bit blah.

Yep, I thought it was waste of time and not engaging. I like some of the quizzes, anagrams they had recently, more of that would be more engaging & entertaining than this BS.