Must-read article on COVID, China, India by Indian Diplomat Vijay Gokhale.

sandeep

7 minutes ago, Autonomous said:

So far, India has done very well considering the population. 

Suspension of foreign visa was brilliant, ideally air travel should have been suspended but nevertheless, the response has been superb. 

Too early to celebrate.  Lot of things could have been done better.  But yes, a decent start.  The good thing about India is that open media, in spite of the annoying cacophony, will ensure that big screw-ups are identified early and avoided.  

9 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Too early to celebrate.  Lot of things could have been done better.  But yes, a decent start.  The good thing about India is that open media, in spite of the annoying cacophony, will ensure that big screw-ups are identified early and avoided.  

Sir jee, even UK aur USA ka response kaafi weak raha hai. Considering that, India has done pretty well. I think the leadership acknowledges the responsibility they have over their shoulders of 1.3bn people. 

49 minutes ago, Autonomous said:

Sir jee, even UK aur USA ka response kaafi weak raha hai. Considering that, India has done pretty well. I think the leadership acknowledges the responsibility they have over their shoulders of 1.3bn people. 

There are many Indians who are happy to be satisfied with that.  I'm not one of them.  There are already many examples of low-hanging fruit - easy decisions that could and should been executed better.  I don't want to get overly critical - its a crisis time, and mistakes will be made by well-meaning ppl trying to do a tough job - but at the same time, praise, especially excessive, has to be deserved and earned.  India is not there yet.

35 minutes ago, sandeep said:

There are many Indians who are happy to be satisfied with that.  I'm not one of them.  There are already many examples of low-hanging fruit - easy decisions that could and should been executed better.  I don't want to get overly critical - its a crisis time, and mistakes will be made by well-meaning ppl trying to do a tough job - but at the same time, praise, especially excessive, has to be deserved and earned.  India is not there yet.

I wish you and your countrymen stay safe with best of the health. 

1 hour ago, Autonomous said:

Trump is sure that virus will lose to US capitalism spirit by mid April. What would you call it? Courage or ignorance?

24 minutes ago, MechEng said:

Trump is sure that virus will lose to US capitalism spirit by mid April. What would you call it? Courage or ignorance?

Ignorance, trump likes propaganda to make people "believe in him" with elections up next. 

They've reduced interest rates but no one is working under these conditions and everyone expects government help. 

UK came up with things like herd immunity. Thing is, you must contain and prevent this thing as much as possible following the china or south korea model.

I wish and pray that this is over ASAP. The non-financial and financial issues are massive. Just today, PKR value fell down to an all time low, pound is falling rapidly.

7 minutes ago, FischerTal said:

All this is meaningless unless you recognize Taiwan or Tibet. 

Silly.  India legally committed to not recognizing Tibet in the 1950s.  You cannot just go back on legal agreements - we are not Pakistan.  Not informed on the Taiwan question, but again precedents etc cannot be overturned overnight.  Especially against a stronger opponent that we have border disputes with and a massive land border.  It would be stupid.  

BUT, there's a lot that can be done. And India has started doing it. Lot of it long overdue.  Biggest most meaningful steps are the ones by Indian Navy in the Indian Ocean.  From Seychelles, to Mauritius and beyond.  Lot more to be done. 

13 hours ago, sandeep said:

I'm happy that the govt and the people has exceeded its expectations but the expectations were always lower than what you would expect from developed nations. Actually some developed nations like US and UK have shown lack of seriousness at times calling for increased activity for economic concerns and herd immunity in UK by the national advisor for public health :facepalm:

The only thing this govt could have done better is stopping air travel at the earliest. Case in point that kapoor lady carrying the virus and allowed to throw a party for 50 in a 5 star hotel. Those Indian nationals who were required to be taken back should be quarantined immediately on arrival. These are the most important decisions and we were a bit late to the party allowing the virus into India. Perhaps if those decisions were taken on time, we could have avoided the curfew that we are in right now. But I'm happy that the govt took actions quickly after that and initiatives promoted by all media to keep the virus in check.