Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
sarcastic

Is USA the new epicenter of Corona Virus

What do you expect to be the total cases from USA  

16 members have voted

  1. 1. What do you expect to be the total cases of Corona in USA at the end of Pandemic

    • less than 1 million
    • 1 - 5 million
    • More than 5 million


Recommended Posts

USA has now become the country with most positive cases of corona virus reported crossing both Italy and China.

It looks like in few more days, the number of cases in USA will be more than the cases in all of Europe.

 

Things are looking bleak as Trump is trying to relax the restrictions and reopen the economy by April 12. 

 

Edited by sarcastic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, sarcastic said:

USA has now become the country with most positive cases of corona virus reported now crossing both Italy and China.

It looks like in few more days, the number of cases in USA will be more than the cases in all of Europe.

 

Things are looking bleak as Trump is trying to relax the restrictions and reopen the economy by April 12. 

 

Because testing in the US has ramped up.  China is lying about its numbers, other places don't have the resource to test as widely as the US - which is still playing catch up on testing.  

 

I expect total cases to be over a million, nation-wide, with a couple of massive clusters like NY/NJ crossing 200k.  As a NJ resident, I'm starting to get concerned.  I will have to ramp up my level of precaution, and am going to avoid going to public places over the next week or so at least.  

 

Grocery stores here are going to end up being major vectors of spreading this.  No staff is wearing masks, except in Indian grocery stores.  People are walking around without masks.  Its too casual.  And now NJ has jumped to 7000 cases today.  And its far from peak.

Edited by sandeep

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Because testing in the US has ramped up.  China is lying about its numbers, other places don't have the resource to test as widely as the US - which is still playing catch up on testing.  

 

I expect total cases to be over a million, nation-wide, with a couple of massive clusters like NY/NJ crossing 200k.  As a NJ resident, I'm starting to get concerned.  I will have to ramp up my level of precaution, and am going to avoid going to public places over the next week or so at least.  

 

Grocery stores here are going to end up being major vectors of spreading this.  No staff is wearing masks, except in Indian grocery stores.  People are walking around without masks.  Its too casual.  And now NJ has jumped to 7000 cases today.  And its far from peak.

What is going on in the US? 

 

I think there must be around 700k-800k cases in italy.

Edited by Autonomous

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking forward to the antibodies test to get going so we can get a sense of how widespread this thing is. The clustered nature of the outbreak makes me doubt the theory that millions in the US/Spain/Italy have already had without realizing it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Autonomous said:

What is going on in the US? 

 

I think there must be around 700k-800k cases in italy.

Its starting to get really bad in NYC.  Today one hospital ran out of room for dead bodies.  They rented a big cold storage truck to hold the dead.  

 

Not short on ventilators, but pretty much maxed out.  I am hoping that the lockdowns and the work from home stuff shows its impact and slows the infection rate down - we will know in another 10 days.  Right now US is at 83000 confirmed cases - and thats only the ones they tested.  The 10 to 14 day lag from when someone catches it, to when they show up in the hospital, means that these numbers will keep increasing for at least another week or so.  Hopefully after that it slows down.  But again, mask wearing has not become common here, so I think infection rates won't come down as quickly.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Its starting to get really bad in NYC.  Today one hospital ran out of room for dead bodies.  They rented a big cold storage truck to hold the dead.  

 

Not short on ventilators, but pretty much maxed out.  I am hoping that the lockdowns and the work from home stuff shows its impact and slows the infection rate down - we will know in another 10 days.  Right now US is at 83000 confirmed cases - and thats only the ones they tested.  The 10 to 14 day lag from when someone catches it, to when they show up in the hospital, means that these numbers will keep increasing for at least another week or so.  Hopefully after that it slows down.  But again, mask wearing has not become common here, so I think infection rates won't come down as quickly.  

How many people have been tested in the US? 

 

What is their per day testing capacity?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Autonomous said:

How many people have been tested in the US? 

 

What is their per day testing capacity?

In many parts of the country it's still hard to get a test even if you have symptoms 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sarcastic said:

USA has now become the country with most positive cases of corona virus reported crossing both Italy and China.

It looks like in few more days, the number of cases in USA will be more than the cases in all of Europe.

 

Things are looking bleak as Trump is trying to relax the restrictions and reopen the economy by April 12. 

 

Trump will do ghanta. Just because he wants to open the economy does not mean shyt. This lock down will go down for 2-3 months minimum. Most likely it won’t get better before the end of this year, if we are lucky. I think the world is *ed for a while. Economy will go into a Great Recession again, might even be a Great Depression if everyone is stuck at home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Considering how it has spread in US. Do you guys believe in china's numbers? US reported 13k increase yesterday only. 

 

This comes from very few infections earlier in the month. Probably actual infected could be 300k in the US only right now. 

 

One thing going for chinese is that there was no influx of virus from immigrants/expats and they started taking serious measures by mid january. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Autonomous said:

How many people have been tested in the US? 

 

What is their per day testing capacity?

Reportedly 65000 per day, but they need 2 or 3 times that number at least.  

 

NY hospitals are preparing to attempt ventilator sharing for patients - a risky technique in which there is no way to control the amount of oxygen that each patient gets. But it may become necessary.  

 

NY Governor is projecting a need for 30,000 ventilators, and he only has 10 or 11,000.  That means 20,000 people would die due to equipment unavailability.  In America.  Although, a big chunk of those maybe would die even if they had a ventilator, this is a spectacular disaster that was avoidable if we had a half-decent President in charge.  

 

Trump's team was given a manual on what steps to take in a pandemic, with a Whitehouse agency set up to co-ordinate the response.  Trump's minions threw the manual onto a shelf, and fired the pandemic team.  If the US government had ordered the ventilators 4 weeks ago, they would have had 30,000 new ventilators by now, and possibly no shortage.  Not to mention, they could have done other things to provide for increased testing, ensuring PPE etc.  But instead Trump said he doesn't want to take steps because he doesn't want to make the stock market nervous.  Asshole. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Reportedly 65000 per day, but they need 2 or 3 times that number at least.  

 

NY hospitals are preparing to attempt ventilator sharing for patients - a risky technique in which there is no way to control the amount of oxygen that each patient gets. But it may become necessary.  

 

NY Governor is projecting a need for 30,000 ventilators, and he only has 10 or 11,000.  That means 20,000 people would die due to equipment unavailability.  In America.  Although, a big chunk of those maybe would die even if they had a ventilator, this is a spectacular disaster that was avoidable if we had a half-decent President in charge.  

 

Trump's team was given a manual on what steps to take in a pandemic, with a Whitehouse agency set up to co-ordinate the response.  Trump's minions threw the manual onto a shelf, and fired the pandemic team.  If the US government had ordered the ventilators 4 weeks ago, they would have had 30,000 new ventilators by now, and possibly no shortage.  Not to mention, they could have done other things to provide for increased testing, ensuring PPE etc.  But instead Trump said he doesn't want to take steps because he doesn't want to make the stock market nervous.  Asshole. 

He did ban flights from china and europe, this indicates that he was aware of the threat but his short-term or tunnel vision oriented dimensions lead to this. Stock market has crashed regardless. 

 

I don't think there is a complete lock down either?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Autonomous said:

I don't think there is a complete lock down either?

Lockdowns or "Shelter in place" orders are issued at state levels - depends on which state you are in.  National order not issued.  Probably not needed at this point.  

 

Dude, I saw clips of interaction between journalists and Imran - the guy simply is unable to grasp the basic science in this pandemic.  Pakistan cannot afford to wait and delay curfew/lockdown until the number of sick and dead starts increasing.  By then it will be too late.  The biggest and best benefit you get from lockdowns, is by doing it as early as possible, so the first round of infected clusters, don't infect too many people.  If you wait until there are hundreds of sick people, by that time, you already have tens of thousands of infected people, and its already too late.  

 

I do not doubt Imran's intentions - he clearly wants a good outcome for his country and cares about his people and the poor.  But he is not fit for leadership - he does not understand basic science, and public policy.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I live in UK. I know that my family had flu in Feb. It was bad. Then again my whole family had flu in middle March.  It was very minor apart from my wife.  We all had minor cough, reddish eye, lil temperature (including kids). My wife had all of below symptoms.

1. Reddish eye. Eye burninig sensation (5 days)

2. Fever and Shivering (2+ days)

3. Constant dry coughing For 8 days (after first 3 days which had fever and shivering). Coughing was allmost every minute all day long on its peak  3 days.

 

Now, I canonly guess that it was corona virus. I am not certain as we were never tested.

I know a number of families which had similar experience.

Edited by mishra

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Lockdowns or "Shelter in place" orders are issued at state levels - depends on which state you are in.  National order not issued.  Probably not needed at this point.  

 

Dude, I saw clips of interaction between journalists and Imran - the guy simply is unable to grasp the basic science in this pandemic.  Pakistan cannot afford to wait and delay curfew/lockdown until the number of sick and dead starts increasing.  By then it will be too late.  The biggest and best benefit you get from lockdowns, is by doing it as early as possible, so the first round of infected clusters, don't infect too many people.  If you wait until there are hundreds of sick people, by that time, you already have tens of thousands of infected people, and its already too late.  

 

I do not doubt Imran's intentions - he clearly wants a good outcome for his country and cares about his people and the poor.  But he is not fit for leadership - he does not understand basic science, and public policy.  

I agree with you. 

 

Sindh government and Murad Ali Shah is leading the charge in Pakistan. 

 

Imran is not even interested in having a discussion with Shehbaz Sharif or PPP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mishra said:

I live in UK. I know that my family had flu in Feb. It was bad. Then again my whole family had flu in middle March.  It was very minor apart from my wife.  We all had minor cough, reddish eye, lil temperature (including kids). My wife had all of below symptoms.

1. Reddish eye. Eye burninig sensation (5 days)

2. Fever and Shivering (2+ days)

3. Constant dry coughing For 8 days (after first 3 days which had fever and shivering). Coughing was allmost every minute all day long on its peak  3 days.

 

Now, I canonly guess that it was corona virus. I am not certain as we were never tested.

I know a number of families which had similar experience.

Seemingly there are 2-3 types of this virus. 

Very mild - Strong

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Autonomous said:

Seemingly there are 2-3 types of this virus. 

Very mild - Strong

Not really - it depends on whether the virus reaches your lungs.  If it doesn't, you can recover from it in about 10 days like a bad flu.  If it reaches the lungs and spreads there - ventilator time, and from that point, the odds of fatality are really high, regardless of how healthy or young you are.

 

I have instructed everyone in my family to start a turmeric regimen - it may boost the health and immunity levels of your respiratory tract - definitely won't hurt - every little bit helps.  1 heaping teaspoon turmeric, pinch of salt, 2 tablespoons warm milk - before you go to bed.  Theory is that turmeric will coat your throat and do its thing.  

 

I have recurring nasal allergies and frequently suffer from congestion - which can turn into sore throat via nasal drip.  This turmeric milk is the most effective way for me to cure it.  I hate to sound like a crazy grandma, but I think it definitely won't hurt, and if in the rare event that you get infected, you would wish that you had done what you could to give yourself the best chance...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Autonomous said:

I agree with you. 

 

Sindh government and Murad Ali Shah is leading the charge in Pakistan. 

 

Imran is not even interested in having a discussion with Shehbaz Sharif or PPP.

why did he re-arrest Abbasi?  

 

Imran's out of his depth here, but he's trying.  The one thing I will say, the guy is nothing if not sincere.  But leadership and the country needs more than good intentions.  It requires, demands sound thinking, and pro-active leadership.  Regretfully for  Pakistan, I don't think he has what it takes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Autonomous said:

Seemingly there are 2-3 types of this virus. 

Very mild - Strong

Yes, You can have Lewis Hamilton level. ie, Dont even realise. (https://motorsports.nbcsports.com/2020/03/21/f1-lewis-hamilton-idris-elba-sophie-trudeau-covid-19-exposure-coronavirus-update/)

You can have Allesandro Favali level. ie Do realise  but get better even before testing is done (https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/51961429)

You can have serious coughing level. ie, You know you have something exactly matching above + ones admitted.

Then you can be level 4 , Admitted and survived

Level 5. Admitted and didnt survive.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Not really - it depends on whether the virus reaches your lungs.  If it doesn't, you can recover from it in about 10 days like a bad flu.  If it reaches the lungs and spreads there - ventilator time, and from that point, the odds of fatality are really high, regardless of how healthy or young you are.

 

I have instructed everyone in my family to start a turmeric regimen - it may boost the health and immunity levels of your respiratory tract - definitely won't hurt - every little bit helps.  1 heaping teaspoon turmeric, pinch of salt, 2 tablespoons warm milk - before you go to bed.  Theory is that turmeric will coat your throat and do its thing.  

 

I have recurring nasal allergies and frequently suffer from congestion - which can turn into sore throat via nasal drip.  This turmeric milk is the most effective way for me to cure it.  I hate to sound like a crazy grandma, but I think it definitely won't hurt, and if in the rare event that you get infected, you would wish that you had done what you could to give yourself the best chance...

How long does it take for things to turn ugly once it reaches lungs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, sandeep said:

why did he re-arrest Abbasi?  

 

Imran's out of his depth here, but he's trying.  The one thing I will say, the guy is nothing if not sincere.  But leadership and the country needs more than good intentions.  It requires, demands sound thinking, and pro-active leadership.  Regretfully for  Pakistan, I don't think he has what it takes.

Because Abbasi talks it out and is one of the few competent individuals who can actually challenge him on media. 

 

Imran is not sincere. He doesn't care, he is happy with his "seat"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Its very fast, days or hours.  

Yes, For our family, within 24 hours, we saw a normal cough to deep coughing per minute. Thank God, we were on edge for next 3 days despite seeing that cough level was dropping

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Autonomous said:

@sandeep Also is persistant coughing, a compulsory symptom of the virus for you to be in hospital? Or it can be other two symptoms without coughing? 

Only factor for requiring hospitalization is difficulty in breathing.  If you are gasping for air, go to the hospital or a clinic that can get you oxygen, or next step ventilator.  There is an electronic device - pulse oximeter - it clips onto your finger to measure oxygen level in your blood.  If that is showing dangerous low readings, you may need oxygen.  If just Oxygen is not enough, and your lungs are not working, you need ventilator.  Rest is up to how your body can fight off the virus on its own.  They are giving experimental medicine, but this is a basic summary of what happens.

 

Bottomline, don't panic if you are coughing a lot.  Because going to hospital is an act of risk.  You only need that if your breathing is dangerously affected.

Edited by sandeep

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Only factor for requiring hospitalization is difficulty in breathing.  If you are gasping for air, go to the hospital or a clinic that can get you oxygen, or next step ventilator.  There is an electronic device - pulse oximeter - it clips onto your finger to measure oxygen level in your blood.  If that is showing dangerous low readings, you may need oxygen.  If just Oxygen is not enough, and your lungs are not working, you need ventilator.  Rest is up to how your body can fight off the virus on its own.  They are giving experimental medicine, but this is a basic summary of what happens.

 

Bottomline, don't panic if you are coughing a lot.  Because going to hospital is an act of risk.  You only need that if your breathing is dangerously affected.

And persistant coughing is compulsory symptom alongside?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

America is f***ed beyond belief. Situation there is gonna be worse than Italy.

 

As fashionable as it is to blame the government - who are partly responsible - the truth is that most americans have set themselves up for failure, and are probably beyond help.

 

Most americans can't cover basic healthcare expenses, and many have very little saved up for a rainy day: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/23/most-americans-dont-have-the-savings-to-cover-a-1000-emergency.html

In addition to this, you have 6 out of 10 americans suffering from some kind of chronic disease https://www.cdc.gov/chronicdisease/index.htm and in need of constant care. Now imagine what happens once a pandemic strikes. Most of these people will be screwed, regardless. Senior citizens will drop like flies, with some combination of COVID-19 symptoms and a chronic disease easily killing them off in the upcoming weeks.

 

I was thinking that NYC, at least, could handle the situation. But once the javits convention center (where you normally have the auto show, expos, exams, etc.) was turned into a 2000 bed hospital ward, you knew the s*** hit the fan. Now we have makeshift MORGUES coming up outside hospitals, and the larger ones like Mt. sinai are putting beds in the corridors. Hospitals and medical staff are completely under-prepared for the waves upon waves of patients, and supplies are low.

 

it will get much worse before it gets better. I can tell you first hand (through family) that local high schools are being turned into hospital wards, and patients are actually being sent home. As someone who actually has family working in ER, what i'm hearing is not good. frankly, i'm worried for their health - considering they're frequently coming into contact with symptomatic patients.

 

Sadly, many americans are playing with their lives by not cooperating with any kind of social distancing orders. this kind of stupidity is impossible to address.

 

This is like a war-time crisis. In fact, war would probably be easier to handle, considering a good percentage would be killed off. With a pandemic, hospitals are having to accommodate and selectively treat patients. I have heard they have people dying in Emergency, while waiting 5 to 6 hours.

 

considering that america isn't good at admitting failure, i suspect trump will continue blaming china - a convenient scapegoat - and we'll eventually see a situation where america actually seeks assistance from china in fighting the virus. much like european countries like italy, france and spain recently did. a sensible decision, considering that china manufactures all these necessary supplies within its own borders.

 

of course, to protect america's fragile sense of pride, these efforts will be dismissed as profiteering: https://www.foxnews.com/world/china-money-coronavirus-spain-467-million-faulty-supplies

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Autonomous said:

And persistant coughing is compulsory symptom alongside?

Bhai, I'm not a Dr, just sharing info that I have.  So please keep that in mind.  But I have heard that persistent coughing may or may not be present for those suffering from COVID19.  High fever is the one  thing that's consistently present.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, mishra said:

Yes, For our family, within 24 hours, we saw a normal cough to deep coughing per minute. Thank God, we were on edge for next 3 days despite seeing that cough level was dropping

Glad that all are OK now.  Family and health is everything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Manny_Pacquiao said:

America is f***ed beyond belief. Situation there is gonna be worse than Italy.

 

As fashionable as it is to blame the government - who are partly responsible - the truth is that most americans have set themselves up for failure, and are probably beyond help.

 

Most americans can't cover basic healthcare expenses, and many have very little saved up for a rainy day: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/23/most-americans-dont-have-the-savings-to-cover-a-1000-emergency.html

In addition to this, you have 6 out of 10 americans suffering from some kind of chronic disease https://www.cdc.gov/chronicdisease/index.htm and in need of constant care. Now imagine what happens once a pandemic strikes. Most of these people will be screwed, regardless. Senior citizens will drop like flies, with some combination of COVID-19 symptoms and a chronic disease easily killing them off in the upcoming weeks.

 

I was thinking that NYC, at least, could handle the situation. But once the javits convention center (where you normally have the auto show, expos, exams, etc.) was turned into a 2000 bed hospital ward, you knew the s*** hit the fan. Now we have makeshift MORGUES coming up outside hospitals, and the larger ones like Mt. sinai are putting beds in the corridors. Hospitals and medical staff are completely under-prepared for the waves upon waves of patients, and supplies are low.

 

it will get much worse before it gets better. I can tell you first hand (through family) that local high schools are being turned into hospital wards, and patients are actually being sent home. As someone who actually has family working in ER, what i'm hearing is not good. frankly, i'm worried for their health - considering they're frequently coming into contact with symptomatic patients.

 

Sadly, many americans are playing with their lives by not cooperating with any kind of social distancing orders. this kind of stupidity is impossible to address.

 

This is like a war-time crisis. In fact, war would probably be easier to handle, considering a good percentage would be killed off. With a pandemic, hospitals are having to accommodate and selectively treat patients. I have heard they have people dying in Emergency, while waiting 5 to 6 hours.

 

considering that america isn't good at admitting failure, i suspect trump will continue blaming china - a convenient scapegoat - and we'll eventually see a situation where america actually seeks assistance from china in fighting the virus. much like european countries like italy, france and spain recently did. a sensible decision, considering that china manufactures all these necessary supplies within its own borders.

 

of course, to protect america's fragile sense of pride, these efforts will be dismissed as profiteering: https://www.foxnews.com/world/china-money-coronavirus-spain-467-million-faulty-supplies

This is just the beginning.  And remember NYC was where India is today - only 10-12 days ago.  At least the US already has capacity to test 65,000 everyday, and rising.  In India, there are not enough tests. Only way to stop this from killing thousands, is to lockdown and stay home. Not run around taking pictures, having "fun".  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, sandeep said:

This is just the beginning.  And remember NYC was where India is today - only 10-12 days ago.  At least the US already has capacity to test 65,000 everyday, and rising.  In India, there are not enough tests. Only way to stop this from killing thousands, is to lockdown and stay home. Not run around taking pictures, having "fun".  

How would you know that the virus has been wiped off from a population of 1.3bn? 

 

Mass testing i think is impossible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Autonomous said:

How would you know that the virus has been wiped off from a population of 1.3bn? 

 

Mass testing i think is impossible. 

Virus is never going to be 'wiped off'.  There will be a 2nd wave, and maybe seasonal re-occurences later.  Only way forward is to find cures that can stop infections - like Tamiflu for Influenza.  And vaccines that inoculate you from getting infected.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Virus is never going to be 'wiped off'.  There will be a 2nd wave, and maybe seasonal re-occurences later.  Only way forward is to find cures that can stop infections - like Tamiflu for Influenza.  And vaccines that inoculate you from getting infected.  

Do you believe in the "seasonal theory"? 

 

BTW some people think it may leave alot of impacts such as use of digital currency, online shopping and diminish malls, cafe etc. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mishra said:

I live in UK. I know that my family had flu in Feb. It was bad. Then again my whole family had flu in middle March.  It was very minor apart from my wife.  We all had minor cough, reddish eye, lil temperature (including kids). My wife had all of below symptoms.

1. Reddish eye. Eye burninig sensation (5 days)

2. Fever and Shivering (2+ days)

3. Constant dry coughing For 8 days (after first 3 days which had fever and shivering). Coughing was allmost every minute all day long on its peak  3 days.

 

Now, I canonly guess that it was corona virus. I am not certain as we were never tested.

I know a number of families which had similar experience.

Lol same but we had it in December. I keep thinking it was the corona virus lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Autonomous said:

Do you believe in the "seasonal theory"? 

 

BTW some people think it may leave alot of impacts such as use of digital currency, online shopping and diminish malls, cafe etc. 

 

 

Yes I do.  At a minimum, I'm positive that the virus is not going to go away.  

 

This pandemic is going to completely change everything - such small changes are nothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sandeep said:

Yes I do.  At a minimum, I'm positive that the virus is not going to go away.  

 

This pandemic is going to completely change everything - such small changes are nothing.

What are your reasons to believe n the seasonal theory? 

 

If this is going to change everything, what will be the "normalcy"? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, sandeep said:

This is just the beginning.  And remember NYC was where India is today - only 10-12 days ago.  At least the US already has capacity to test 65,000 everyday, and rising.  In India, there are not enough tests. Only way to stop this from killing thousands, is to lockdown and stay home. Not run around taking pictures, having "fun".  

 

LOL @ you trying to re-assure yourself. NYC hadn't even entered formal lockdown, there is NO comparison. Construction work was still going on (cuomo hadn't stopped it until today). Transport is still running, restricted service still hasn't come into effect. People were still walking around (i can show you pictures i received, if you don't believe me).

 

Accept it, America is F***ed. "has the capacity?"...Hospitals are running at 200% over-capacity. People are dying before they can even be tested, and these numbers DON'T EVEN CONSIDER asymptomatic carriers. and this is BEFORE the cases multiply. 

 

Basically - America is on the brink of BEGGING china for supplies. much like the european countries previously were.

 

At least in india, people follow directions and stay home, and full-scale lockdown is generally respected and enforced. India will probably isolate better than america, and india has cheap drugs available after banning critical exports.

 

We'll see how this plays out. but the trends aren't good. America is looking more like italy 2.0. And it will be china...to the rescue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Autonomous said:

What are your reasons to believe n the seasonal theory? 

Its a coronavirus - that's how all other coronaviruses play out.  Why would this one be any different? 

 

1 minute ago, Autonomous said:

If this is going to change everything, what will be the "normalcy"? 

US is going to end up with universal health care.  Scandinavian countries will end up with UBI.  US is going to majorly decouple industrial supply chain for "critical" products and build it either in US, or in Mexico/Canada.  That in turn, will definitely create a recession in China.  Globally there is going to be a massive, just massive economic depression.   Such bad times are almost guaranteed to lead to revolts and revolutions in some places.  

 

Nothing will ever be the same.  

Social habits are going to be changed overnight.  Work from home vs going to office - for white collar workers, will get flipped on its head.  Until now, you only worked from home if you really needed to.  It was not the norm, and seen as 'undesirable'.  It will become a lot more accepted and standardized now.  We are 2 years away from getting a prove vaccine, and another year away from it becoming widely available.  In that time, mass gatherings of any kind will be rare.  Tourism is going to be at 5% of what it was, for few years.  Entire industries are going to be wiped out.  Governments will have to come up with employment schemes. And so on.  


 

There is a potential for massive hardening of borders in self-sufficient nation states, in the short term, while you'd expect some alliances to strengthen over the medium term.  No reason why US shouldn't build out an industrial alliance with Canada and Mexico.  Similarly after the initial bickering settles down, you would think  that the EU will also join closer and do the same.  Logistics, transit connectivity and speed, especially in times of crisis, will drive manufacturing choices.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Manny_Pacquiao said:

 

LOL @ you trying to re-assure yourself. NYC hadn't even entered formal lockdown, there is NO comparison. Construction work was still going on (cuomo hadn't stopped it until today). Transport is still running, restricted service still hasn't come into effect. People were still walking around (i can show you pictures i received, if you don't believe me).

 

Accept it, America is F***ed. "has the capacity?"...Hospitals are running at 200% over-capacity. People are dying before they can even be tested, and these numbers DON'T EVEN CONSIDER asymptomatic carriers. and this is BEFORE the cases multiply. 

 

Basically - America is on the brink of BEGGING china for supplies. much like the european countries previously were.

 

At least in india, people follow directions and stay home, and full-scale lockdown is generally respected and enforced. India will probably isolate better than america, and india has cheap drugs available after banning critical exports.

 

We'll see how this plays out. but the trends aren't good. America is looking more like italy 2.0. And it will be china...to the rescue.

Ok beta.  You are making ample demonstration of your intellect.  There is no point in reading Bhagvad Gita to a Bhais.  It will still turn into gobar.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Laaloo said:

Lol same but we had it in December. I keep thinking it was the corona virus lol.

Repeat flu in same season and red eyes are being regarded as tell tell sign of corona. In all honesty, I have never seen people coughing that much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, randomGuy said:

@sandeep does the US have enough hydroxychloroquine, Azithromycin? I think no.

It can be acquired, or made locally.  There are Pharma companies in NJ who can make it - Teva is one.  I don't think that is a bottleneck.  Biggest problem is slowing down rate of infection - ICU wards and ventilators are not going to be enough.  That's the critical path to minimizing fatalities.  

 

Biggest thing that needs to happen in US is mass adoption of wearing masks.  US GOV has made a mistake by refusing to issue this instruction. They were worried that the available supply will be bought up by the public, making the supply shortage for medics, even worse.  But that was a mistake according to me.

 

They need to issue instructions to wear simple cloth masks in public - for all.  Right now, some grocery stores are actually preventing clerks from wearing masks and gloves.  That is a terrible, terrible decision.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Ok beta.  You are making ample demonstration of your intellect.  There is no point in reading Bhagvad Gita to a Bhais.  It will still turn into gobar.  

I don't know where you're living in the states, but i hope you pull through without any issues. Stay safe.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really really commend Indian Administration and Indian population for the way they are trying to contain it. A single foreign Babaji enters in India and managed to put 40,000 Indian in quarntine, Because Babaji is foreigner, Indian Police didnt do a dandaa. But I hope Indian Police also does Danda to the foreign return Indians

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, sandeep said:

One person's experience with probable COVID infection - 

 

Thanks. I haven't had cough, just slight chest tightening which could be due to general stress of being at home and work issues since the tightening is nowhere near the level of bronchitis i had 4 years back. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Manny_Pacquiao said:

I'll make it simple for you:

 

the US doesn't have enough of anything. From here, you can reason which way they'll go.

 

That chip on your shoulder kiddo, it looks like its so heavy it will crush you. (or your ego).  Did you get rejected for a visa or something?

Edited by sandeep

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...