ICF Challenger Trophy- 90s vs 2000s vs 2010 Indian players , Who will win?

A challenger Trophy kind of tournament between India's best ODI players

To be played in Indian condition Acc to 15 over PP rule

India-A (90s) India-B (2000s) India-C (2010)
1 Ganguly Gambhir Dhawan
2 sachin sehwag rohit
3 dravid (wk) irfan pathan kohli (capt)
4 azhar (capt) yuvi iyer
5 Kaif dhoni (capt n wk) kl rahul (wk)
6 Ajay Jadeja raina kedhar jadhav
7 Kapil dev yusuf pathan hardik pandya
8 Agarkar Sir jadeja Kuldeep
9 bhajji ashwin Chahal
10 Kumble  shami bhuvi
11 Srinath zak bumrah
12th man Robin singh  Uthappa ambati rayudu

How team are picked- 

• why kapil - he surely gives team A edge in bowling but they also needed edge in power game which kapil brings. Kapil was to good a player to miss out. 
  • teams are picked keeping the core of that era same .
  • 1-2 alternations are made for team balance
  • all good openers are divided among teams with left right combo 
  • Every team is given a seam bowling all rounder- Kapil, irfan, hardik
  • At least 6 bowling option is given to every team
  • 2 spinners in every team 
  • Why Shami in India-B, kohli prefers Bhuvi and shami was to good a bowler to miss out so gave them to B team who else wud have had options like nehra, munaf , PK, RP who didnt have long careers
  • Why kaif in 90s team- he did well and deserved a shot in one of teams so adjusted him in 90s. It was tough to fit him in 2000 team since they needed more of a power player then someone like Kaif. Also kaif would make yuvi n dhoni bat low . Also 90s team had a habbit of collapses so a solid player was better to be added
  • Why Yusuf n uthappa- they did play some good game changing knocks and in lower order team needs power players 
  • Why rayudu - well his numbers can boost off a decent ODI career 
  • Why azhar capt over ganguly- That was more of azhar side then ganguly and azhar was better at multi nation tournaments. 

Key battles 

1. Zak vs ganguly n dhawan- Anyone who saw domestic wud knw Zak had a number on ganguly in domestic and his peak he was troubling left handers a lot so i think even dhawan wud have been in trouble. 
  2. Sachin , sehwag, yuvi vs kuldeep- Sachin , sehwag use to play hogg really well so kuldeep doesnt have much of chance. Hogg use to trouble yuuvi with his flipper which kuldeep doesnt have as of now so good luck to him
  3. Sachin , dravid , ganguly vs bumrah-  bumrah will trouble ganguly n dravid for sure
  4. Bhuvi vs sachin- only bowler to dismiss sachin at duck in domestic , i think he might trouble him 
  5. Sehwag vs Pandya n robin singh :giggle:
  6. yusuf n hardik vs kumble n bhajji - both are known to destroy spin lets see 

Strengths of teams 

• Top 3- ill give it to Team C
  • Fielding - Team A- Azhar, jadeja, kapil, Kaif , agarkar 
  • Power game- Team B
  • Part timer bowlers- Team B - yuvi, sehwag, raina, yusuf pathan 
  • Bowling- Team-A

Edited by Ankit_sharma03

If anyone wants to Pick another team go ahead which includes players from 80s and can also add players whom they feel missed out from these teams like - nehra, ishant, pk, dk, mishra, rayudu , laxman, rahane , sidhu, Robin singh  

Edited by Ankit_sharma03

Even if they may not win all the matches, team B will win the tournament. Gambhir, Yuvraj, Dhoni, Raina are some of the best pressure players India produced. No wonder they were chiefly responsible for us winning the world cup. Zaheer was a product of Ganguly but he really developed during Dhoni's period, and his addition to team B gives them the ultimate edge.

Team C is a huge joke and no wonder India sucks under Rat. That team has zero mental capacity to win anything of significance.

Team A was unfortunate to have played during the peak of various teams like Pakistan, Zimbabwe, Sri Lanka and also against really rock solid Australia, South Africa, New Zealand and West Indies. I would still back them to win against the useless team C easily. They can even beat team B but they will lose to them in the final under pressure. Dravid will score the highest runs of the day, of course!

8 minutes ago, Sandeep99 said:

Even if they may not win all the matches, team B will win the tournament. Gambhir, Yuvraj, Dhoni, Raina are some of the best pressure players India produced. No wonder they were chiefly responsible for us winning the world cup. Zaheer was a product of Ganguly but he really developed during Dhoni's period, and his addition to team B gives them the ultimate edge.

Team C is a huge joke and no wonder India sucks under Rat. That team has zero mental capacity to win anything of significance.

Team A was unfortunate to have played during the peak of various teams like Pakistan, Zimbabwe, Sri Lanka and also against really rock solid Australia, South Africa, New Zealand and West Indies. I would still back them to win against the useless team C easily. They can even beat team B but they will lose to them in the final under pressure. Dravid will score the highest runs of the day, of course!

yuo even i think Team B might win - looks to have all bases covered and dhoni knew how to win tournaments. Add to that he has pressure players and team with best power game.

Also i think we are yet to see Team C in full power with rahul n iyer added...in recent times that team hasnt played at full strength with rohit, dhawan, pandya being on off due to injury 

Team B didn't face peak 2003 or 2007 Aus side. They won worldcup in home conditions as well. I agree gambhir, yuvi and few more players were clutch but not sure if they would have been able to do so in overseas conditions against top side. You simply can't compare different era players and teams.

Team B has many clutch players, under MS they will take the final 9/10 times against either of the other sides. C and A are almost level, but Rahul/Iyer are yet to hit their peak versions and I have very high expectations from those 2. Team A has a few fixers so may not even make the final. 

Edited by Gollum
3 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

If anyone wants to Pick another team go ahead which includes players from 80s and can also add players whom they feel missed out from these teams like - nehra, ishant, pk, dk, mishra, rayudu , laxman, rahane , sidhu, Robin singh  

Kapil shouldn't be in A, made his debut in 70s and played whole of 80s.

Let me present a team of before 90s....since ODI wasn't popular back then let us have one team for 70s and 80s.

Srikkanth

Shastri

Amarnath

Vengsarkar

Yashpal Sharma

Kapil (c)

Chetan Sharma (90+ SR and a 100, as good an AR as Pandya, at the very least)

Prabhakar

Kirmani (wk)

Binny

Bedi

ODI was a different game back then. In low scoring conditions this team would do very well, very clutch...so can match Dhoni's team in final if they make it that far. Many quality ARs, bat till #10, 8 bowling options and even Srikkanth has couple of 5fers, picked Shastri above Sunny because he was a utility bowler as well. 

Honestly this team would have beaten NZ/Eng in last year's WC, in the conditions we saw in KO. 

Edited by Gollum
2 hours ago, Nikola said:

Team B didn't face peak 2003 or 2007 Aus side. They won worldcup in home conditions as well. I agree gambhir, yuvi and few more players were clutch but not sure if they would have been able to do so in overseas conditions against top side. You simply can't compare different era players and teams.

here also they wont be facing them...they are just facing each other 

1 hour ago, Nikola said:

Teams are pretty confusing actually. Shami and Jaddu in 2000s. Bhajji, Kaif in 90s. I think you should compare team 2003 vs 2011 vs 2019 that would be good contest.

already mentioned the idea was to pick india besyt player in 3 teams and divide them in some way 

shami isnt pref in kohli side and dhoni side lacked one fast bowler 

jadeja played under dhoni and i gave every team a duo of spinners

kaif didnt make in other side and one side had vacancy 

bhajji kumble combo 

2003 vs 2011 would have same players ....i literally have followed the era but taken the nucleus of sides and added player who cudnt find spot in other teams

1 hour ago, Gollum said:

was a very conflicted choice but then i was only picking 3 sides and kapil cudnt miss out any cost. Also that a side needed a power player 

1 hour ago, Gollum said:

Let me present a team of before 90s....since ODI wasn't popular back then let us have one team for 70s and 80s.

Srikkanth

Shastri

Amarnath

Vengsarkar

Yashpal Sharma

Kapil (c)

Prabhakar

Kirmani (wk)

Binny

Bedi

ODI was a different game back then. In low scoring conditions this team would do very well, very clutch...so can match Dhoni's team in final if they make it that far. Many quality ARs, bat till #10, 8 bowling options and even Srikkanth has couple of 5fers, picked Shastri above Sunny because he was a utility bowler as well. 

Honestly this team would have beaten NZ/Eng in last year's WC, in the conditions we saw in KO. 

thanx wasnt possible for me to pick this side since i havent seen this guys play 

22 hours ago, Gollum said:

Srikkanth

Shastri

Amarnath

Vengsarkar

Yashpal Sharma

Kapil (c)

Prabhakar

Kirmani (wk)

Binny

Bedi

Gavaskar in Yashpal out

19 hours ago, zen said:

Team B from the list but overall Team 80s (not on the list) 

Srikant

Gavaskar

Sidhu 

Vensarkar

Patil 

Kapil

Shastri

Prabhakar

Kirmani

Binny

Shiva 

8 minutes ago, Sooda said:

Gavaskar in Yashpal out

Haven't seen any of those oldies play, moreover ODI was an entirely different format then, pretty sure my XI isn't accurate. Thanks for the suggestion.

1980's

Ravi Shastri, Kris Srikkanth , S Gavaskar, M Amarnath, D Vengsarkar, Kapil Dev, Chetan Sharma, Kirmani,  Roger Binny, Madan Lal, Maninder Singh

1990's

Tendulkar, Ganguly, Sidhu, Azhar, Jadeja, Robin Singh, Mongia, Prabhakar, Kumble, Srinath, Prasad,

2000's

Gambhir, Sehwag, Laxman, Dravid, Yuvraj, Dhoni, Irfan, Agarkar, Zaheer, Harbhajan, Nehra

2010s

Rohit, Dhawan, Virat, Kedar, Raina, Hardik, D Kartik, Jadeja, Bhuvneshwar, Shami, Jasprit

----

Bit of grey area around some players... Ganguly is more of a 000's player than a 90's one... likewise MSD more of a 2010's than 2000's... but I stuck them where they are to make the teams more balanced

It'll be a close quadrangular;

1980s side might be a surprise package interesting mix of quality players and useful bits and piecy types...

1990's side is a good one has SRT of course, and that ATG opening duo, decent fielding, good attack too

2000's , Laxman over Kaif simply more class as a batsman... this might be the best team all round tbh 

2010s we know well... great top 3, flimsy middle, power in the lower order and top pace bowling.